Temporary Root myTouch4g Slide Latest OTA

Search This thread

fred30w

May 2, 2014
Hello everyone. I've done lots of research and I cannot find a solution. I have a completely stock myTouch 4G Slide that I would like to temporarily root so I can get the app data transferred to another phone. The phone is running the latest OTA update:

Android version: 2.3.4
Software Number: 1.63.531.2 710RD

I've tried many methods to try a temp root, but all end up unsuccessful. I already have the Android SDK installed and HTC drivers. I understand I can easily root the phone by unlocking the boot loader (in fact I have the unlock.bin from HTC dev already), but that will wipe the phone, which is something I do not wish to do yet.

I have tried fr3evo, but when I run the command, I just get this: An error occurred while running the exploit (-1) (errno: 25)

I simply want to temporarily root the phone to backup it's app data, then I can have fun with this phone. :p Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Hello everyone. I've done lots of research and I cannot find a solution. I have a completely stock myTouch 4G Slide that I would like to temporarily root so I can get the app data transferred to another phone. The phone is running the latest OTA update:

Android version: 2.3.4
Software Number: 1.63.531.2 710RD

I've tried many methods to try a temp root, but all end up unsuccessful. I already have the Android SDK installed and HTC drivers. I understand I can easily root the phone by unlocking the boot loader (in fact I have the unlock.bin from HTC dev already), but that will wipe the phone, which is something I do not wish to do yet.

I have tried fr3evo, but when I run the command, I just get this: An error occurred while running the exploit (-1) (errno: 25)

I simply want to temporarily root the phone to backup it's app data, then I can have fun with this phone. :p Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Don't know about temporarily rooting the phone, but if the goal is to transfer the settings to another phone (particularly if this new phone is also an HTC), there is this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.dnatransfer.legacy

It seems to transfer everything but the apps itself (which is easy to re-download from Google Play). And best of all, it doesn't require root!

Hope this helps.

fred30w

May 2, 2014
Don't know about temporarily rooting the phone, but if the goal is to transfer the settings to another phone (particularly if this new phone is also an HTC), there is this app:

It seems to transfer everything but the apps itself (which is easy to re-download from Google Play). And best of all, it doesn't require root!

Hope this helps.
Hello, first of all I appreciate the response. Unfortunately, the new phone I'm transferring the data to is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I'm really after the app data stored in Android/data/data and you have all of the folders that start with com.* with things like save games, app settings, etc. I'm unable to access that folder with ES Explorer since it's root access only. It's interesting how I was able to use my Galaxy S3's built in file manager to backup the files and then restore them after wiping it (no root required), but I guess either Gingerbread was more strict or HTC locked the folder. Of course if you have more suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca

fred30w

May 2, 2014
Hello,

Samsung has a migration tool as well:

This one looks like it transfers apps, so I would assume settings and other data would go along with it. It's questionable if it will work on Gingerbread (citing compatibility issues, but that may be the destination end), but Google Play can determine that for you.
Unfortunately, the Google Play store says that this device isn't compatible with this version. I wish it were easier to backup this phone though, heck it won't even allow the device storage to be mounted, only the SD card. I assume you rooted your phone via an unlocked boot loader? I could do that, but that wipes the device clean.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I did, through HTCdev (would have been the second thing I've done when I got the phone, the first was a test call to make sure it works :) ). HTC is not like other devices where you put CWM on first as part of the rooting process. At least you could nandroid the whole thing (then pick the archive apart later on).

As far as I recall, temporary rooting uses exploits in the code. So if you are on the latest OTA, then the chances of using said exploits are slim (and closed holes is something you already experienced). Unfortunately, the only way I can think of is to borrow an HTC device (already rooted), nandroid their setup, use the app in my first post, and nandroid that. But the chances of being able to borrow a rooted HTC (or even just an HTC that the friend doesn't mind you wiping and rooting) are probably slim.

Last edited:

fred30w

May 2, 2014
I did, through HTCdev (would have been the second thing I've done when I got the phone, the first was a test call to make sure it works :) ). HTC is not like other devices where you put CWM on first as part of the rooting process. At least you could nandroid the whole thing (then pick the archive apart later on).

As far as I recall, temporary rooting uses exploits in the code. So if you are on the latest OTA, then the chances of using said exploits are slim (and closed holes is something you already experienced). Unfortunately, the only way I can think of is to borrow an HTC device (already rooted), nandroid their setup, use the app in my first post, and nandroid that. But the chances of being able to borrow a rooted HTC (or even just an HTC that the friend doesn't mind you wiping and rooting) are probably slim.
Supposedly, there might be versions of fr3evo that could exploit Android 2.3.4 on this phone, but all of the links I've seen are either the wrong version or corrupted. I actually have access to a HTC Inspire 4G that's fully rooted (it was a toy phone I messed with for fun), but it's being used by a family member so I can't clear it or anything like that. I really wish the boot loader unlock wouldn't wipe the phone. Thankfully everything on this phone works great as it is, since it was bought new. :) But I find it quite laggy and it takes literally 5 minutes to boot up (compared to my stock GS3 that boots up in less than 1), so once it's backed up, it's time to clear it and put a lighter rom onto it.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I actually have access to a HTC Inspire 4G that's fully rooted (it was a toy phone I messed with for fun), but it's being used by a family member so I can't clear it or anything like that.

Depends on how long you can borrow it without said family member looking over your shoulder :D

If that phone is fully rooted, nandroid backup their current setup, do what you need to do (get your backup), then restore theirs. They would be none the wiser.

If you are a bit paranoid like I am, make two backups of the original setup, just in case.

fred30w

May 2, 2014
Depends on how long you can borrow it without said family member looking over your shoulder :D

If that phone is fully rooted, nandroid backup their current setup, do what you need to do (get your backup), then restore theirs. They would be none the wiser.

If you are a bit paranoid like I am, make two backups of the original setup, just in case.
Hey that's not a bad idea! At the very least I'll save that as a worse case backup plan. I wonder if the HTC backup app data can be picked apart. At the very least I hope to at least backup the data and be able to construct instructions so other people like me can easily get their data off, then root. :)

Apparently, this guy got further than me when using fr3evo on his double shot, and he has the same software version too.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26866661&postcount=8

But again, the downloads / version used of fre3vo is very vague. I'll keep looking for either a temp root solution or a backup for non-roots like you suggested.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I wonder if the HTC backup app data can be picked apart.

For the record you can, using any archive tool that handles tarballs:

attachment.php

Alternatively, when the data is migrated to your family members phone (may want to test to see if your saved games are present), you can root your Doubleshot and migrate the data back. You would be borrowing it for a little longer, but it would be an easier restore.

Last edited:

fred30w

May 2, 2014
For the record you can, using any archive tool that handles tarballs:

attachment.php

Alternatively, when the data is migrated to your family members phone (may want to test to see if your saved games are present), you can root your Doubleshot and migrate the data back. You would be borrowing it for a little longer, but it would be an easier restore.
Excellent, that looks pretty good. Ok, I'm downloading the HTC backup tool you linked above and I'll pick it apart and see if it's all there. By the way, I appreciate your help.

EDIT: Ok, this transfer tool wants direct connection between 2 HTC phones. If that's the case, I'll try to "borrow" that phone. Unless I'm using the wrong app of course.

Last edited:

fred30w

May 2, 2014
You are on the right track. :) Let me know how it turns out.
Ok, I've tried to use the HTC transfer tool. Unfortunately, it has been unsuccessful. For one, it doesn't seem to have the option to transfer apps. Seems to only transfer user data (pictures, videos, etc.). Second, when I actually tried the backup feature, it only works on other HTC phones running stock firmware. I would get a screenshot, but I don't think this phone came with a screenshot capability without a third party app. Anyway, the app says this "To get started, go to "Settings" on your new phone, tap "Get content from another phone" and follow onscreen instructions." Then the app waits for a wireless connection and asks for a pin. Obviously the other HTC phone I'm borrowing is not useful here, since it's on custom firmware and it's even older than the double shot. It just makes me laugh though, you can't really backup too much without root, but the easiest way to root requires a phone wipe. Puts me in an odd spot. :laugh:

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Ok, I've tried to use the HTC transfer tool. Unfortunately, it has been unsuccessful. ... Then the app waits for a wireless connection and asks for a pin. Obviously the other HTC phone I'm borrowing is not useful here, since it's on custom firmware and it's even older than the double shot. It just makes me laugh though, you can't really backup too much without root, but the easiest way to root requires a phone wipe. Puts me in an odd spot. :laugh:

Yeah, that's a bit of a catch. Usually when a phone is rooted one is very tempted to replace the firmware (third thing I done with my phone :)) so it's hard to find a rooted phone still on stock. You could RUU the borrowed phone back to stock, root it again, and then pair with the app, but that would add a ton of steps (full day's work) and it doesn't sound like stock is new enough to handle the HTC transfer app anyways (as it requires Gingerbread at least).

Well, it was worth a shot anyways. Hopefully someone else pipes up with a better idea. ;) Take care.

fred30w

May 2, 2014
Yeah, that's a bit of a catch. Usually when a phone is rooted one is very tempted to replace the firmware (third thing I done with my phone :)) so it's hard to find a rooted phone still on stock. You could RUU the borrowed phone back to stock, root it again, and then pair with the app, but that would add a ton of steps (full day's work) and it doesn't sound like stock is new enough to handle the HTC transfer app anyways (as it requires Gingerbread at least).

Well, it was worth a shot anyways. Hopefully someone else pipes up with a better idea. ;) Take care.
Indeed, I really appreciate your help though! I'm hoping someone can cook up something too. :)

EDIT: Since it has been difficult to find a temp root strategy, I was able to manually pull the app data file by file (painful) via adb. I got everything I needed, so now the phone has been wiped clean and can be easily rooted now.

But here is an interesting fact, before, this phone took 4 minutes and 27 seconds to boot. Now that I did a factory reset, it only takes 33 seconds to boot, I disabled fastboot on both tests.

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Indeed, I really appreciate your help though! I'm hoping someone can cook up something too. :)

EDIT: Since it has been difficult to find a temp root strategy, I was able to manually pull the app data file by file (painful) via adb. I got everything I needed, so now the phone has been wiped clean and can be easily rooted now.

But here is an interesting fact, before, this phone took 4 minutes and 27 seconds to boot. Now that I did a factory reset, it only takes 33 seconds to boot, I disabled fastboot on both tests.

Gee, I never thought about using ADB to pull files. Clever, although it must have been a hard slog.

I came across this link this morning:

http://xdaforums.com/apps/framaroot/root-framaroot-one-click-apk-to-root-t2130276

The Doubleshot isn't in the compatibility list, but the OP mentioned if it's not, to just try and see. The good thing about this rooting process is that it doesn't wipe data.

Anyways, Hope you are enjoying your rooted phone. :D