18th November 2013, 12:29 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by insink71

on way #2, I've often used:

Code:
cat /proc/emmc
on a few devices to reveal similar info.

Rob

Thx for this. On my HTC One there is no "by-name" folder. It only has "by-num". cat /proc/emmc works fine though.

Cheers.
19th November 2013, 02:22 AM |#14  
Flag Park Ridge
Thanks Meter: 37

More
I also wrote a guide, It just using the "by-name"
and needs root
[HOWTO] dump your rom

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system of=/storage/extSdCard/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery of=/storage/extSdCard/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/param of=/storage/extSdCard/param.img
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot of=/storage/extSdCard/boot.img
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warwolfx0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift warwolfx0 Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 07:37 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi,

I tried this on my I-9505G. It is NOT rooted, so I thought I could enter the system through Clockworkmod Recovery.
I did it, but at first I didn't mount the DATA partition (later on I did through CWM Recovery); I still ran the command:

dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system of=/data/media/TEST/system.img

Thought I hadn't mounted anything, the media folder was still there, I only created the TEST folder.

After the image was created I typed the "ls" command and the system.img file was in /data/media/TEST/.

I then rebooted once again in CWM and ran the "adb shell" command once again, I entered /data/media/ e neither the img file nor the TEST folder I had created were there.

My question is: where have they gone?? Are they still occupying some of my space or they just got deleted automatically when I rebooted??
Please let me know as I'd like to free that extra unuseful 1.2 Gb system.img file.

Anyway, just as side information, I later on mounted the /data through CWM interface and was able to see the folders ("/data/media/0/") I can see by plugging the phone normally to the computer. I then dumped the image.

I have some other questions:
  • I can I mount the /data folder (or the external SD) via command?
  • What extention should I give to the other partitions? (All of them)
  • Why did you say that it's MANDATORY that the phone be rooted if it can be done this way?
  • Are the images I'm dumping flashable through fastboot?

Thank you all for your time!
20th November 2013, 03:26 PM |#16  

More
Anybody? Please.
20th November 2013, 04:50 PM |#17  
Flag Park Ridge
Thanks Meter: 37

More
•I can I mount the /data folder (or the external SD) via command?
I have not been able to find the SD card in clockwork on the I9505G, hence one of my rooting procedures send the root file vi "adb sideload".
I might be able to pull the data from the phone but the clockwork recovery is still not working 100% when fastbooting it.

•What extention should I give to the other partitions? (All of them)
.img are fine.

•Why did you say that it's MANDATORY that the phone be rooted if it can be done this way?
currently it is required that the phone be unlocked. Something need to be fixed in clockwork to make it work any other way.

•Are the images I'm dumping flashable through fastboot?
They should be, but I have not been able to flash anything on the I9505G vi fastboot because of the secure boot.
without a full official image this make my playing around a little concerning (slowing me down).

I will look into this at my leisure. I would love to be able to pull a rom off a phone with only unlocking it.
I will test some stuff using my old galaxy nexus.
20th November 2013, 05:56 PM |#18  

More
I actually dumped everything WITHOUT being rooted. I only unlocked the bootloader... So it works.

Further, I tried to run "fastboot boot recovery.img" with recovery.img being the image file I dumped. The phone froze and I had to pull the battery... So I assume they're not flashable as well, though I'd like other feedbacks.

I've not clearly understood what "secure boot" means. Any guide or wiki?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

I actually dumped everything WITHOUT being rooted. I only unlocked the bootloader... So it works.

Further, I tried to run "fastboot boot recovery.img" with recovery.img being the image file I dumped. The phone froze and I had to pull the battery... So I assume they're not flashable as well, though I'd like other feedbacks.

I've not clearly understood what "secure boot" means. Any guide or wiki?

Thanks!
3rd December 2013, 11:22 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey, great guide! I need some help but. I can't retrieve the common names / labels of my devices partitions. It's a GT-i8150 and there is no 'by-name' sub directory. Furthermore, parted does not work on mmcblk0 for some reason (unable to satisfy partition restraints or something). I also have no emmc file in proc.

Does anyone know how some other methods for getting the names of the partitions?

EDIT:

Another question - using ADB shell, is it possible to dump a partition straight from the phone onto the computers hard drive? My little 2GB sd card isn't coping! Thanks
12th December 2013, 01:37 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
a very basic but good guide

Sent from my GT-P1000 using xda app-developers app
29th January 2014, 06:58 PM |#21  
Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 2,135

More
This is a very nice guide!

I will link it from my own (more advanced) guide: