"Fixed" build.prop file for Kaiser (Attached tarball)

Search This thread

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
!ALWAYS make a databackup.img on your device BEFORE making any changes!

Hi all!
For the past 3 weeks I have been making small changes to the build prop file inside the Android /system folder.
These changes incorporate not only a increase in speed but also stability.

What I would like to see happen is one of 2 things, or both if possible.

1. Incorporate this build.prop file into the various "System_Froyo" builds available, forcing these changes on initial install, or

2. Vogue/Polaris developers browse the file for contradicting information (things that won't work on a Vogue/Polaris) and make appropriate changes.

Improvements include:
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse (prevents sleep of death),
various dalvik vm improvements,
force hardware acceleration and performance tuning,
various telephony enhancements including ring delay time and data speeds.

After making these changes, the phone rings immediately, the UI is much smoother (GUI uses video processor primarily), and data jumped from 1.3Mb/sec to over 3.2Mb/sec, making web pages load faster. (EDIT: The 3.2Mb/sec is the top of the scale, I actually averaged 2.2Mb/sec with average pings between 300-500 across 3 different radio roms).

VOGUE/POLARIS OWNERS!
Please test this file and report findings here.

IF you find you need to remove any lines, please do so before copying the file into /system. This file works well on the AT&T networks (Cingular), but may not have much effect on other networks.

If you have trouble after installing this file, please post your bootlog file.

PoX

Attachments

• buildprop.tar
    5.5 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
This has only been tested on a "clean" Froyo build, so I cannot make any assumptions as to if it will work in Gingerbread/Eclair/Donut/etc.
If everyone follows the install guide on the front page, I would assume that it would work worldwide, as long as it's Froyo.
In the future I could try it out on Gingerbread and other builds, but I make no promises as development has all but ended for Android on MSM72**.

Last edited:

Dark-Side

Jan 17, 2009
I can test this. Perhaps, kaiser on Android could be good for daily use?...

Thanks for sharing ;)

muckelmaus

Jan 11, 2008
NRW
Hi all!
For the past 2 weeks I have been making small changes to the build prop file inside the Android /system folder.

1. Incorporate this build.prop file into the various "System_Froyo" builds available, forcing these changes on initial install, or

2. Vogue/Polaris developers browse the file for contradicting information (things that won't work on a Vogue/Polaris) and make appropriate changes.

Improvements include:

After making these changes, the phone rings immediately, the UI is much smoother (GUI uses video processor primarily), and data jumped from 1.3Mb/sec to over 3.2Mb/sec, making web pages load faster.

If there is interest in this, please respond to this post. If there is enough interest I will attach it to this post as a .tar file.

This has only been tested on a "clean" Froyo build, so I cannot make any assumptions as to if it will work in Gingerbread/Eclair/Donut/etc.
If everyone follows the install guide on the front page, I would assume that it would work worldwide, as long as it's Froyo.
In the future I could try it out on Gingerbread and other builds, but I make no promises as development has all but ended for Android on MSM72k.

I'm interested in your new build.prop tar, but I do not understand the thing about the install guide, you mentioned in you second post.
My Kaiser is running CM7 RC3 on haret, so maybe I can do some testing on gingerbread, with you.
Your trials, about tweaking the app download possibility, sound very interesting too, as I read about a tweaked build.prop for a tab that simulates to be a samsung tab in combination with an older version of the app market.
Feel free to PM, although I'm quite a newby to android.

Last edited:

n2rjt

I can build with Fresh Froyo and try it, but not until April sorry.
I am currently traveling and away from a development system.
I have been slowly trying to get a reliable app2sd capability working.
I'd suggest searching old posts for power collapse to see if dzo or others long ago tried this.
It sounds promising.

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
I'm interested in your new build.prop tar, but I do not understand the thing about the install guide, you mentioned in you second post.
My Kaiser is running CM7 RC3 on haret, so maybe I can do some testing on gingerbread, with you.
Your trials, about tweaking the app download possibility, sound very interesting too, as I read about a tweaked build.prop for a tab that simulates to be a samsung tab in combination with an older version of the app market.
Feel free to PM, although I'm quite a newby to android.

The "install guide" I'm referring to is here...
How to replace Windows Mobile with Android (Guide)

There would be a change to the original build.prop file which exists inside the /system folder and would be installed when Android is installed on the Kaiser.

Mind you, I live in a busy city with LOTS of cell towers and, since 3g works on the principle of multi-tower usage, YMMV. If you live way out in the country with maybe 2-3 towers nearby, this may not help you.

Also, this has been tested on a NAND-installed OS, not a HaRet install. I cannot verify or guarantee this will work with a HaReT install as I have no way to test it and I think of HaReT as the "slow cousin" to a NAND install.

On a side note: My Kaiser has not had one sleep of death, hard-lock, white screen or even an FC for 9 days now. Apps running out of memory can be a slight problem but they will just close on their own as opposed to FC-ing. at worst I've had one hot reboot called by the system, and the FCs' are few, even with heavy Facebook and Maps use.

n2, if this works on all Kaisers, is there a way to push it to SF and either add it as a mod or rebuild the "system_froyo" install files and incorporate it within?

ZLodei

Mar 18, 2012
Hi guys!
Problem occured when moving file to root folder. To solve I tried root explorer and z4root both. CM7 + Krazy-Killa's Kernel on tilt 8925.
Please talk what to do with it!
thanks!

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Rename original build.prop file to "build.prop.old" or something you will remember, without the quotes, then paste the new build.prop file into the /system folder... it should go right in with no errors, unless you try it without read/write abilities.
CM7 may already have some of these fixes installed in the existing build.prop file. To check, open this build.prop with a text editor and check the entries under "additional build properties".

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
I will try in early April. Until then please solicit Vogue and Polaris users to try it.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA

Vogue/Polaris users solicited, although I'm not sure if this can be used on a CDMA network. Last count shows about 15-20% of the "other" phones were Vogues, the rest were Polaris users.
It would be nice to start getting good feedback since this would be my first actual "hard" mod (one that is installed with the system, not modded through some other installer/program).

ZLodei

Mar 18, 2012
Rename original build.prop file to "build.prop.old" or something you will remember, without the quotes, then paste the new build.prop file into the /system folder... it should go right in with no errors, unless you try it without read/write abilities.
CM7 may already have some of these fixes installed in the existing build.prop file. To check, open this build.prop with a text editor and check the entries under "additional build properties".

Can't rename. And can't change file attributions read only to read/write.

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
If you can get terminal emulator up on that phone, I believe all you would have to do is type in "su" then "mount /system".
All Kaiser/Polaris/Vogue Android builds are rooted and usually have superuser installed. I will take a look into Scoot's CM7 and confirm this. I know there is an update to superuser that leaves the old binary unable to be updated.

Last edited:

ZLodei

Mar 18, 2012
If you can get terminal emulator up on that phone, I believe all you would have to do is type in "su" then "mount /system".
All Kaiser/Polaris/Vogue Android builds are rooted and usually have superuser installed. I will take a look into Scoot's CM7 and confirm this. I know there is an update to superuser that leaves the old binary unable to be updated.

Hi! Thank you!
What does exactly I have to do in terminal emulator?

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
I would hope you have superuser capability, if you don't then use another build that does have them...
Anyway, this is all I could figure out to remount the /system as RW. Type the following below into terminal emulator...

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system

(Where "mtdblock2" has /system, "mtdblock3" has /data, and "mtdblock4" has /cache.)

Hope this helps...

mattempus

Jul 20, 2011
Budapest
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
I installed this new build.prop from the bootloader using androidupdate.tar.
Because i made a tar archive this way: system/build.prop
Isn't it the easiest method? No mounting and hacking in terminal emulator.

Anyway, do anybody know which ROM contains hungarian language? I gave my Kaiser to my father and it would be great if he could use it in hungarian.
I thought VaniljEclair 11 has it, and it is almost true. It has hungarian language but when i set it nothing happens. Everything is in english as before.

Thanks!

Edit:
You can download it from here:
http://mattempus.sohasenem.hu/pub/androidupdate.tar

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !ALWAYS make a databackup.img on your device BEFORE making any changes!

Hi all!
    For the past 3 weeks I have been making small changes to the build prop file inside the Android /system folder.

Improvements include:

After making these changes, the phone rings immediately, the UI is much smoother (GUI uses video processor primarily), and data jumped from 1.3Mb/sec to over 3.2Mb/sec, making web pages load faster. (EDIT: The 3.2Mb/sec is the top of the scale, I actually averaged 2.2Mb/sec with average pings between 300-500 across 3 different radio roms).

VOGUE/POLARIS OWNERS!
    Please test this file and report findings here.

IF you find you need to remove any lines, please do so before copying the file into /system. This file works well on the AT&T networks (Cingular), but may not have much effect on other networks.

If you have trouble after installing this file, please post your bootlog file.

PoX
    Tarball added to OP, please test and report back. Any problems should be reported here along with the bootlog from your phone.
    Which kernel would you recommend for that fresh froyo build (on nand)?

For any rom nand on Kaiser I recommend nothing except the kernel with separate cache. I can still build kernels and roms for Kaiser but seriously nothing was developed after that kernel. One developer at about the same time made great strides toward enabling dynamic overclocking but his last attempt came before the separate cache breakthrough. It would be great if that could be finished and given a separate cache. But I think all the former developers of this phone have moved on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA