Yes, please. (Honeycomb)

Search This thread

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Gingerbread is still very much in development.
That indeed is what i keep hearing.. i would just kill for a nightly right now though, to know that something real is happening.

I guess my worry is this - the community started with so much steam, but after the initial big push, we haven't seen ANYTHING more. Nothing new with Froyo, GB.. anything. I love the kernels we have, but it feels like the ROM work has really puttered out.

I admit, i have been trying to dig through the githubs, but they are so congested and forked, it is hard to track what work really relates to us. I don't mean to put any devs off, and i certainly get the "it'll be done when its done" mentality, but it is easy to lose hope right now...

Last edited:

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
just wanted to chime in and give thanks to db for working on this.
in the incredible forums we had a few early gb builds from the sdk and while they weren't ready for prime time they did lead the way for stable builds once the source was released.
it was also a lot of fun to boot them up and get a taste of what is coming.

keep up the good work :)

Jamdat33

May 17, 2009
Dude great job!!!! I woke up from my nap and checked engadget like I always do and I seriously couldn't believe my eyes. It's a rough start, but you have opened the door!

A. Nonymous

Jan 25, 2011
Very sweet and very nice proof of concept. I will watch this with baited breath and avoid my friends who don't like what I bait my breath with.

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
That indeed is what i keep hearing.. i would just kill for a nightly right now though, to know that something real is happening.

I guess my worry is this - the community started with so much steam, but after the initial big push, we haven't seen ANYTHING more. Nothing new with Froyo, GB.. anything. I love the kernels we have, but it feels like the ROM work has really puttered out.

I admit, i have been trying to dig through the githubs, but they are so congested and forked, it is hard to track what work really relates to us. I don't mean to put any devs off, and i certainly get the "it'll be done when its done" mentality, but it is easy to lose hope right now...

FWIW, don't loose hope. There is still work going on for Froyo and Gingerbread. There are a few show stopping bugs right now on Gingerbread so I wouldn't expect any nightly builds soon. As for Froyo, I'm less familar with the goings on there but I do know development continues.

cmakar

Jan 24, 2011
Very interest to help test on Nook Color

If there is any way to help with test the Honeycomb rom on a Color Nook, please let me know and I can help

JonMayer

Jul 6, 2010
Clawson
blog.mayerville.com
Does the Nook Color have enough processing power? Do you think hardware acceleration will work with the NC? Waiting to see if you can get it fully ported, good job!

Last edited:

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
FWIW, don't loose hope. There is still work going on for Froyo and Gingerbread. There are a few show stopping bugs right now on Gingerbread so I wouldn't expect any nightly builds soon. As for Froyo, I'm less familar with the goings on there but I do know development continues.

I know a lot of people are probably interested in hearing more about the progress with cyanogen. could you share a little of what you know about these bugs?

cainhunpi

Jan 18, 2011
It will only get fully ported when the open source code is released. This build wont be final

Nook Color via Xda App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    for all the people that can't wait:

graphics acceleration more or less working. The SGX driver seems too old for some buffer request of android 3.0, so right now the statusbar is invisible but still functional. Not sure if I can fix that or have to wait for the AOSP release.

What is not working... pretty much everything else, no accelerometer, no wlan, no sound. Haven't started working on those things yet.
    It does indeed run very slow so far.
    Touchscreen is working now. I'll try to get the graphics acceleration running over the weekend that should help with performance.

(and I think it's stupid that I can't post or reply in the development forum without having more than 10 posts.)
    I made a zombie out of the honeycomb preview and one of the nook kernels.
    Touch input doesn't work, no hardware acceleration etc.
    This is my 10th post. I think I'll start a thread in the dev section soon.
    A small update:

The graphics problem is due to the SGX drivers not supporting RGBX_8888 and android assuming it works. With the honeycomb source this would be no problem to fix with some ifs and a recompile. So instead I'm patching the binaries by hand. The statusbar still isn't visible but at least other programs work now instead of showing a black screen.

Still haven't looked into why the sensors don't work. I assume the interface might have changed ... I can see the acceleration sensor working at /dev/input/event3

I have it running from an SD card. It also seems to hibernate/sleep without a problem now.

I'll upload all of this to github and upload a binary somewhere when it's a little bit more usable.

Patience is a virtue (= I have a social life too).