[ROM] TWRP Flashable Stock Firmware [7.0][8.1.0]

Search This thread

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
[size=+2]TWRP Flashable Stock builds for the Moto G4/G4 Plus[/size]

As you all know, Moto has finally released the first Oreo soak test for select users to test. Thanks to @rajatgupta1998, we all get to try it out ;)

[size=+1]About these builds[/size]
This is the stock firmware, repackaged to be flashable in TWRP Recovery. In an effort to make these zips safer, I have removed all bootloader and gpt (partition table) related items.

[size=+1]Requirements[/size]
-> Unlocked bootloader
-> TWRP Recovery Installed (or booted)

[size=+1]Installation[/size]
-> Download the TWRP Flashable zip (Links below)
-> Place zip on device (internal or external storage)
-> Reboot to TWRP (or boot it)
-> Flash zip && Profit

[size=+1]Downloads[/size]
Nougat 7.0 (April 1st Security Patch)
• AFH -- TWRP-athene-7.0.0-NPJS25.93-14-18.zip
• G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-7.0.0-NPJS25.93-14-18.zip
md5sum == 71cab7a1bdebb067c569366dcaa26968

Oreo 8.1.0 Soak Test (November 1st Security Patch)
• AFH -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.108.zip
• G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.108.zip
md5sum == c995bcb22215346e362195447de686f8

Oreo 8.1.0 (December 1st Security Patch)
• AFH -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-12.zip
• G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-12.zip
md5sum == d7f7a0acdbb8e4bd24fa89e8513ec21c

• AFH -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-22.zip <-- coming soon
• G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-22.zip
md5sum == coming soon

[size=+1]Other Notes[/size]
* If you want to root, use Magisk and just flash in TWRP immediately after flashing the newest Oreo build. The latest build now fully passes SafetyNet and shows the device as being Certified in the Play Store.
* If you're already on the previous Oreo build (OPJ28.108 - November Security Patch), you can easily update to the latest Oreo build (OPJ28.111-12 - December Security Patch) by dirty flashing. If you want to keep root, you'll still need to flash Magisk again after flashing the newer build.
* To root the Nougat build(s), you will need to flash a custom kernel, then flash Magisk (same as before).

[size=+2]XDA:DevDB Information[/size]
[size=+1]TWRP Flashable Stock Builds, ROM for the Moto G4/G4 Plus[/size]

Contributors
@Jleeblanch, @rajatgupta1998, Motorola Mobility LLC

ROM OS Version: Android Oreo 8.1.0 - December 1st Security Patch
ROM Kernel: v3.10.84

Version Information:

Created: 2018-11-26
Last Updated: 2019-01-09

Last edited:

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
these ROM have the same problems with camera like a soak test bulid?
This IS the Moto Soak test build. I've just made it TWRP flashable and safer for everyone to use. But yes, to answer your question, the issue with the Camera and Flashlight tile taking a few (5 or more) seconds to open is present here. There isn't anything I can do about that, however when Moto releases a future OTA update and have fixed the issue, I will make a new zip and post it here.

I will also make a nougat build of NPJS25.93-14-18 that is TWRP flashable as well for anyone who would like to be on stock nougat or easily revert back to stock nougat.

asingh470

Oct 9, 2017
new delhi
[size=+1]TWRP Flashable Stock builds for the Moto G4/G4 Plus[/size]

As you all know, Moto has finally released the first Oreo soak test for select users to test. Thanks to @rajatgupta1998, we all get to try it out

About this build
What is different about this versus what's already available? Basically what I have done is taken the previous 7.0 (nougat) firmware and directly patched it using the 8.1.0 (oreo) OTA zip from this thread. In an effort to make this build safer for everyone to use, I have left out any bootloader related items which is what can potentially prevent you from being able to downgrade. If this had been an official release, I would also have removed dm-verity (and forced encryption) as needed also. But being this is a test build from Moto, they have yet to enable such features. Now, on to the good stuff.

Requirements
-> Unlocked bootloader
-> You may or may not need to be on stock nougat prior, need confirmation on this

Installation
-> Place zip on device (internal storage or external)
-> Flash zip && Profit

Downloads
AFH - TWRP-athene-OPJ28.108.zip
G-Drive - TWRP-athene-OPJ28.108.zip
md5sum = c995bcb22215346e362195447de686f8

Other Notes
Currently as mentioned in the other thread, the build doesn't fully pass SafetyNet as it's a test release. You can use Magisk modules to fix this if needed.

You can also easily root by flashing Magisk immediately after the TWRP zip or any time afterwards.

Contributors

ROM OS Version: Android Oreo 8.1.0 - November 1st Security Patch

Version Information:

Last Updated: 2018-11-26
Thanx your .zip fixed the sim issues . Thanx mate

DanFaraday777

Mar 4, 2016
This IS the Moto Soak test build. I've just made it TWRP flashable and safer for everyone to use. But yes, to answer your question, the issue with the Camera and Flashlight tile taking a few (5 or more) seconds to open is present here. There isn't anything I can do about that, however when Moto releases a future OTA update and have fixed the issue, I will make a new zip and post it here.

I will also make a nougat build of NPJS25.93-14-18 that is TWRP flashable as well for anyone who would like to be on stock nougat or easily revert back to stock nougat.

Waiting for the Nougat build! Really need to go back to stock. Thank you for your work!

vlrgamaley

Jan 29, 2014
Novosibirsk
I`ve had previously RR 5.8 (Nougat 7.1, no custom kernels) and try install your ROM (without wipes, like you describe in instruction). Result? Bootloop. I have Moto 2g RAM/16 Gb Flash, install through rajatgupta recovery v 3.2.1-r3. Try now with wipes, but i don`t have confidence for good result.

try again with wipes, works normally. woah

Last edited:
Reactions: LinuxPusher

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
For curiosity: Would any of the (32 bit) custom kernels work with this ROM?
I doubt any of the stock kernels currently available would work as they're intended for nougat (7.0).
Thanks, I guess I won't be bored until I decide to unlock my G6 Plus :)
Fair enough. I'm surprised you haven't unlocked the bootloader yet, LineageOS is pretty good for the G6+ and also is used as a base ROM for flashing GSI's. I'll be making a stock based custom kernel (and one for the custom rom's/GSI's soon too).
Waiting for the Nougat build! Really need to go back to stock. Thank you for your work!
I gotta finish up some TWRP flashable builds for the Moto G6 and then I'll upload the one I made for nougat when I upload those [emoji41]

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
For curiosity: Would any of the (32 bit) custom kernels work with this ROM?

To expand on Jleeblanch's reply, you may have to wait for Motorola to release the Oreo kernel source code, so developers can work on improving the kernel. Best thing to do is to check the Motorola Mobility GitHub page every so often, where you may see a request for the Oreo source code for our device appear https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/issues Once there's a request made, Motorola should release the code when it's ready for release and then pave the way for custom Oreo kernels :)

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
To expand on Jleeblanch's reply, you may have to wait for Motorola to release the Oreo kernel source code, so developers can work on improving the kernel. Best thing to do is to check the Motorola Mobility GitHub page every so often, where you may see a request for the Oreo source code for our device appear https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/issues Once there's a request made, Motorola should release the code when it's ready for release and then pave the way for custom Oreo kernels :)
I would make the request myself, same as I've done for other devices (currently have a request up for beckham) but being that this is supposed to be a private soak test, not sure if they'll appreciate it just yet. But best believe, when they release the official Oreo build, I'll be all over it (assuming someone doesn't beat me to it [emoji6])

Last edited:
Reactions: jer194 and echo92

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
I would make the request myself, same as I've done for other devices (currently have a request up for beckham) but being that this is supposed to be a private soak test, not sure if they're appreciate it just yet. But best believe, when they release the official Oreo build, I'll be all over it (assuming someone doesn't beat me to it [emoji6])

Oh yup, it'd probably be a bit soon to put in a request, and I imagine they may change the kernel source code for the final release anyway (e.g. if they update to the latest security patch). Thanks for keeping a close eye on it - exciting times ahead :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+2]TWRP Flashable Stock builds for the Moto G4/G4 Plus[/size]

As you all know, Moto has finally released the first Oreo soak test for select users to test. Thanks to @rajatgupta1998, we all get to try it out ;)

[size=+1]About these builds[/size]
    This is the stock firmware, repackaged to be flashable in TWRP Recovery. In an effort to make these zips safer, I have removed all bootloader and gpt (partition table) related items.

[size=+1]Requirements[/size]
    -> Unlocked bootloader

[size=+1]Installation[/size]
    -> Place zip on device (internal or external storage)
    -> Flash zip && Profit

[size=+1]Downloads[/size]
    Nougat 7.0 (April 1st Security Patch)
    • AFH -- TWRP-athene-7.0.0-NPJS25.93-14-18.zip
    • G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-7.0.0-NPJS25.93-14-18.zip
    md5sum == 71cab7a1bdebb067c569366dcaa26968

• AFH -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.108.zip
    • G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.108.zip
    md5sum == c995bcb22215346e362195447de686f8

• AFH -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-12.zip
    • G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-12.zip
    md5sum == d7f7a0acdbb8e4bd24fa89e8513ec21c

• AFH -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-22.zip <-- coming soon
    • G-Drive -- TWRP-athene-8.1.0-OPJ28.111-22.zip
    md5sum == coming soon

[size=+1]Other Notes[/size]
    * If you want to root, use Magisk and just flash in TWRP immediately after flashing the newest Oreo build. The latest build now fully passes SafetyNet and shows the device as being Certified in the Play Store.
    * If you're already on the previous Oreo build (OPJ28.108 - November Security Patch), you can easily update to the latest Oreo build (OPJ28.111-12 - December Security Patch) by dirty flashing. If you want to keep root, you'll still need to flash Magisk again after flashing the newer build.
    * To root the Nougat build(s), you will need to flash a custom kernel, then flash Magisk (same as before).

Contributors

ROM OS Version: Android Oreo 8.1.0 - December 1st Security Patch

Version Information:

Last Updated: 2019-01-09
    these ROM have the same problems with camera like a soak test bulid?

Here is the TWRP flashable zip for stock nougat

TWRP-athene-7.0.0-NPJS25.93-14-18.zip

md5sum: 71cab7a1bdebb067c569366dcaa26968

I will update the OP later this evening.

Also note, if you downgrade from stock Oreo to stock Nougat, you may need to do a factory reset in order for it to boot properly. So remember to take a backup first!
    Added the build NPJS25.93-14-18 (nougat 7.0) to the OP