[Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.2.0.0 (R4c) Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 10/6]

Search This thread

mnaim

Aug 11, 2003
Backup TO internal memory

Hi, it is possible to backup to internal memory instead of sdcard now, when internal memory is skipped from backup and there are no loop threats? It will be great feature because of plenty internal memory. Thanks

opsahl

Feb 19, 2011
I may be premature here (not trying to rush) - but what is the 5/13 update? Changelog?

andypotts

Jan 30, 2009
Just a quick question.... as I am onto my 2nd xoom now....

Do I need to root before running through the steps "without cwm"?

I presume once I have ran through these steps I could then flash the 3.1 update.

I tried to root my last device with rootboot.img and totally bricked it.

Not sure if it being a UK 3g model makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, maybe im just being over cautious

opsahl

Feb 19, 2011
solarnz

solarnz....

what happened to the tiamat android robot? He made me smile, now he's been replaced by the old hat. :/

cam30era

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
Just a quick question.... as I am onto my 2nd xoom now....

Do I need to root before running through the steps "without cwm"?

I presume once I have ran through these steps I could then flash the 3.1 update.

I tried to root my last device with rootboot.img and totally bricked it.

Not sure if it being a UK 3g model makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, maybe im just being over cautious

Yes, you need to root. I would suggest following Land Master's tutorial in the Q&A section, "for noobs....."

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

kgeissler

Dec 21, 2006
Rowlett, TX
I am having a problem that maybe someone can help with. I had stock wifi xoom. I received the 3.1 update yesterday and decided I want to change to CWM recovery. I installed the 3.0.2.8, but everytime I try to boot into recovery I get the android guy with the exclaimation point. I saw the above post saying you needed to run 2 commands since the stock recovery reflashes every time you reboot. Thing is, I don't have root permissions to change the file permissions on those files to run the command.

I then grabbed the stock recovery image for the wifi xoom and flashed that, but still get the same result.

How can I either 1) get CWM recovery to work or 2) get the stock recovery to work?

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
I am having a problem that maybe someone can help with. I had stock wifi xoom. I received the 3.1 update yesterday and decided I want to change to CWM recovery. I installed the 3.0.2.8, but everytime I try to boot into recovery I get the android guy with the exclaimation point. I saw the above post saying you needed to run 2 commands since the stock recovery reflashes every time you reboot. Thing is, I don't have root permissions to change the file permissions on those files to run the command.

I then grabbed the stock recovery image for the wifi xoom and flashed that, but still get the same result.

How can I either 1) get CWM recovery to work or 2) get the stock recovery to work?
You need to flash this recovery in fastboot, do
Code:
fastboot reboot
Then about 3 seconds after you see the motorola boot logo, press volume down.
The select "Android recovery" with volume down, then volume up to boot.

kgeissler

Dec 21, 2006
Rowlett, TX
When I select "Android Recovery" with the volume down button, it starts recovery, but then gives me the Android logo with the exclaimation point.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Last edited:

archosfan

Dec 3, 2010
Do i need a SD card for backups?
I tried to make a backup, but I always get the error:
"Can't mout /sdcard
E:Can't mout /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mout /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log"

I have EUR Xoom 3G.

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
Do i need a SD card for backups?
I tried to make a backup, but I always get the error:
"Can't mout /sdcard
E:Can't mout /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mout /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log"

I have EUR Xoom 3G.

Yes, an external sdcard is required for clockworkmod to function.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

neaux

Jan 22, 2009

+1

I have the same problem.
I updated my Xoom in 3.1. it is root

but no longer works CLOCKWORK RECOVERY

I tried these 2 commands:

adb shell rm / system / recovery-from-boot.p
adb shell rm / system / etc / install-recovery.sh

I get the following message:

rm failed for / system / recovery-from-boot.p, read-only file system

should it work on 3.1? What can I do? :confused:

thank you and sorry for my bad English

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GR0Ke.png

ClockworkMod Recovery - Modified for Motorola Xoom

OK, so this recovery will skip /data/media (Internal storage) when performing nandroid backups and also when you perform a factory reset.

This means that we can now perform nandroid backups without backing up our internal media and removing it everytime you want to do a backup.

Thanks to Bigrushdog and MadIndustries for helping out with the concept of the solution for skipping /data/media.
    Also thanks to Koush and all the other developers that have contributed to clockworkmod, without you guys the android world would be completely different.
    Thanks also to everyone in #xoom that tested this.

The source code for all changes etc are available through the github repository. The two other projects that have been modified to make this recovery possible can also be viewed through my github account.

Even though this recovery has been tested, I am not liable for any loss of data or any damages done by this recovery.

==============================================
    General Notes

When I refer to /data/media, this is the same as /sdcard when the xoom is booted into honeycomb. So any data that is stored in here should be untouched by this recovery.

If you encounter a problem with the filesystem on /data like it has become corrupt, place a blank file called "eraseData" (without the quotes) in the clockworkmod folder on your external sdcard. This will revert to the old way of formatting /data. NOTE: by doing this you will lose everything that you have in /data/media.

Versioning of recovery images:
    At the moment I don't have a version number as such, instead each recovery image is timestamped in the format of DDMMYY-HHYY. So the file recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.img was produced on 12 May 2011 at 8:30 PM. This versioning is also shown in recovery when it starts.

Downloads

SLOW DOWN AND RELAX
    Make sure you download the correct version depending on how you want to flash. I have seen at least two xooms bricked now because they have tried to flash the zip file through fastboot.

Recovery Zip (solarnz-R4c-100611-1150) FLASHED THROUGH CWM
    MD5: 1ad409db4030635734b27df02b7e7c1a

Recovery Image (solarnz-R4c-100611-1150) FLASHED THROUGH FASTBOOT
    MD5: 20575d4b62bf697f77abca9093877ea3

Installation Instructions

Method 1 Flashing through CWM
    Download the recovery zip file

Place the recovery zip on the sdcard where clockworkmod can read it.

Reboot into recovery using "adb reboot recovery" or any other method

In recovery, select flash zip from sdcard and select the recovery zip you downloaded

Sit back and relax while recovery flashes the new recovery and reboots into it.
    Method 2 Without CWM
    Download the recovery image (not the zip file)

Pull up your command prompt, then

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img
    fastboot reboot

Let your Xoom boot up. Then to check out your shiny new recovery,

Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    Also, you can grab Rom Manager or QuickBoot from the market for easy access to recovery.

Changelog
    Code:
      [url=http://bit.ly/k7cZxJ]3.2.0.0 (R4c-100611-1150)[/url]
    - Rebuilt recovery, the previous recovery was built off of bad device files.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Recovery/recovery-solarnz-R4b-060611-1300-cwm.zip]3.2.0.0 (R4b-060611-1300)[/URL]
    - Disabled partitioning the sdcard as per request.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Recovery/recovery-solarnz-R4-050611-1515-cwm.zip]3.2.0.0 (R4-050611-1515)[/URL]
    - Included changes from koush's sources upto clockworkmod 3.2.0.0
    - Implemented Advanced backup. This allows you to choose what partitions you want to backup.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.zip]3.0.2.8 (120511-2030)[/url]
    - Fixed mounting the sdcard for some users

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-080511-1630.img] 3.0.2.8 (080511-1630)[/URL]:
    - Modified to skip /data/media or /sdcard in nandroid backups.
    - Modified formatting /data to remove directories and folders so we can keep media.
    - Place a file called eraseData in the clockworkmod directory on your EXTERNAL sdcard to revert to the normal restoration method.
    Also try vol up + power.

Then as soon as the screen goes black, hold vol down + vol up at the same time for a cold boot.

This worked for me. Flash new recovery. Reboot and while the screen is black hold the power up and power down. Took me a couple of tries to get my fat fingers on the keys just right.

thanks to solarnz and BWcorvus for the help
    running into a problem. I have a wifi only xoom. I had the old 3.0.2.8 recovery installed which i still had after 3.1 update no problems with it at all. I just flashed the 3.0.2.8 one using fastboot but now when i reboot into recovery. All i see is the android with the exclamation mark i do not see clockwork. I have reflash more then once with no luck still.

Edit: wanted to add that if i flash the clockwork from Rom manger which i see is the version 3.0.2.5 i am able to do a adb reboot recovery into recovery with no problems.

Edit2: for some reason the zip flashing in the old recovery works fine and updated to the new recovery. no clue why fastboot is not working. I tried fastboot 5 times every flash said it finished fine but it boots with a android and a exclamation mark. only the zip flashing in recovery works for me.
    Ok, I'm assuming you are on android 3.1 without a modified kernel.
    The issue you are having is that with the default boot image, it flashes back the stock recovery every single time you reboot.

Code:
    adb shell rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    adb shell rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    (Thanks Berzerker7)
    maybe this is a stupid question, but i dont even see a "media" folder on my xoom. there are folders for music and video. i have my own folder for movies, one for comics, ect. do i have to create a media directory and move everything into it in order to make sure that it doesnt get included? and if so, where does it go?

Ok. on our xooms, /sdcard is actually a symlink (think of a shortcut) to /data/media.
    So when I say /data/media, you can think of /sdcard (the internal storage).
    so these commands do the same thing as if you would do a basic wipe data or even more than that ?

No, not the same. This is just a delete command and not the same as a wipe since it will erase everything in /sdcard and below that only.
    Still experiencing problems.

Flash http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.img through fastboot to the recovery partition. See if that helps.

If not, please come find us in #xoom on freenode.net.