[HOWTO] ROOT T-Mobile SGSII via ODIN -- Updated Recovery

Search This thread

blackmamba0730

Nov 5, 2010
Plainville
First of all, thank you for this. Like a dumbass, I bricked my phone trying to root it without the proper research. This has brought my phone back from the dead. Thank you so much for this. Who do I donate to lol cuz they definitely deserve it

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
First of all, thank you for this. Like a dumbass, I bricked my phone trying to root it without the proper research. This has brought my phone back from the dead. Thank you so much for this. Who do I donate to lol cuz they definitely deserve it

Slayher got root so he's the one the $$ go to but you might also want to consider throwing $10 Melvin's way. Great dev who wants to bring his rom over here. Just needs 9 people to donate $10 and he'll be able to get the phone!

amalio357

Nov 26, 2006
Hemphill
I am new to Samsung and Odin. Do i need to know anything in particular about using odin?

Thanks, in advance.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using XDA Premium App

Odin is a program needed to communicate with your phone to root. Simply follow the above directions(theres also tutorials in a thread here on xda on how) and all will be fine.Thanks if i helped.

Reactions: azsl1326

|Melvin|

Dec 21, 2010
Advanced Dev Team
Slayher got root so he's the one the $$ go to but you might also want to consider throwing $10 Melvin's way. Great dev who wants to bring his rom over here. Just needs 9 people to donate $10 and he'll be able to get the phone!

Ya man. i mean what ever you guys can give can help. im alreading posting on craglist to see if anyone wants to trade for my phone. Hope i find someone.:(:(

azsl1326

Mar 13, 2008
Arizona
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Quick question. Once we root the phone, I am assuming it's a good idea to do a nandroid? Also, what about unrooting and/or removing CWR or am I getting ahead of things here. Just looking to have a fall back plan before I dive in head first.

Thanks, in advance.

Challenger

Mar 23, 2009
Thank you so much. Works great and installation was very straight forward.

Removed all the T-mobile bloatware with Titanium Backup.

movieaddict

Jul 24, 2010
u donate to Slayher for first to root! then to melvin if u want to help him get a sgs2 for him to dev some roms for us....

LT1iFiEd

Jan 23, 2010
Just Donated $10 to Melvin, Its from my wife's Paypal Account, I'm sure you'll notice it, Its a Long A$$ Girls Email.

Reactions: |Melvin|

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT THE T-MOBILE SGSII

This Method will flash a recovery Image and then you can flash the superuser .zip file to root the phone.
    This requires minor knowledge. But BE CAREFUL Because this can harm your phone!

First Things you need to have:

*You Need ODIN 1.8++(CLICK ME)
    *The USB Drivers for Our SGSII
    *Clockworkmod which you are going to flash via ODIN
    Code:
    md5sum - 8bf6802a84d85aa7da0c1976c0f129d1
    *Superuser+Su files to flash thru clockworkmod later on!
    *SDCARD installed for CWR

How to Root the phone...

*Before We get things rolling, Make sure the Phone is recognized by your PC.

*Put the Superuser .zip file on your internal SD

*Take the battery out and place it back

*Hold both Vol up + Vol down, and plug the USB cable in.

*On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar

*Select Start and see the magic do its thing.

*It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.

*Take the battery out again and now boot into recovery

*Power off phone, unplug USB, Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power

*PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY*

*Select Install zip from sdcard, choose the Superuser .zip and let it finish.

*Reboot!

*Now Lets delete some bloat ok? Be careful of what you delete!

***Thanks To Slayher for ROOTING the phone, i just created this small guide for you all to use.
    cant wait to try this!!!!ty to everyone who helped
    If You Can't Find Recovery.tar You'll Find It Here
    http://www.mediafire.com/?5bktv62yoyh3wim
    Thank u.....first time being first :p

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
    Full (hopefully) noob rooting instructions

Being basically a noob myself, I tried to put all the steps in. Hopefully I included everything for the less well- healed:

1. Download the following:
    a. Odin - Version 1.83 or newer
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=755024&d=1319077881
    b.recovery-cwm-hercules.tar
    http://goo-inside.me/hercules/clockworkmod/
    c. superuser
    http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
    2. Make sure windows recognizes your phone in ODIN by starting Odin and seeing that is shows <ID:0/004> Added!! In the message box.
    3. Turn the phone off,
    4. Turn the phone on by holding both the Vol up and Vol down buttons and plug the USB cable in.
    5. Select volume up button
    6. Start Odin
    7. Select the PDA button in Odin and select the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar file
    8. Select Start in Odin
    9. It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.
    10. After the phone has rebooted, select USB connected from your pull down screen on your phone and push the Connect USB storage button on the bottom.
    11. Copy the Superuser zip file to the sdcard or internal memory
    12. Reboot into recovery by doing the following:
    a. Power the phone off and unplug the USB cable
    b. Hold both the Vol up and Vol down and hold the power button for at least 1 second while continuing to hold both volume buttons
    c. Keep holding the Vol up and Vol down buttons until the Recovery screen comes up
    13. * PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP * - This take a while to run
    Menu button moves selection down;
    Home button moves selection up;
    Back button goes to the top; and,
    Search button selects the choice you've made.
    14. Select Install zip from sdcard or internal storage, choose the superuser zip file and push the Search button (enter)
    15. It takes you to another screen, scroll down using the Menu button to the superuser zip file and push the Search button
    16. Reboot!