FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Artfulbits Anti Piracy Database to ban people that pirate apps from using stealing

402 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By pentace, Senior Member on 19th November 2009, 05:21 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
http://www.artfulbits.com/Android/antipiracy.aspx

If your a Dev please support them, if you need assistance msg me i can send u code that will allow your app to automatically send a message to this company with a users information that has stolen your app or tried to steal it.

19th November 2009, 06:18 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentace

http://www.artfulbits.com/Android/antipiracy.aspx

If your a Dev please support them, if you need assistance msg me i can send u code that will allow your app to automatically send a message to this company with a users information that has stolen your app or tried to steal it.

I'm all for cracking down hard on piracy, but there are three big flaws with this solution:

1) How would Artfulbits verify that an app reporting a device is a "dark" device is making that report in good faith? If a bunch of pirates wanted to render this service pointless, they could just create apps that flood the service with false positives.

2) It is possible (although difficult) to link IMEI to a user/owner. This makes a publicly accessible database of "dark" IMEIs somewhat shady in terms of being a breach of privacy.

3) Finally, if this service is to be useful, apps have to have some way of acting on the information in the database. That is just going to lead to folks "cracking" apks to remove the IMEI-checking routines, or simply using leakproof firewalls to prevent the app from accessin the IMEI database.

Thoughts?
19th November 2009, 07:14 AM |#3  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 0

More
There is not going to be a way to completely stop piracy. Google just needs to step up the way the market works to prevent some of the piracy.

I understand devs deserve money for their hard work (and the log of my google checkout shows I support them) but I personally dont want any app reporting any information about myself or my phone. If there is a list of which apps do I will find an alternative for better or worse and not use the app. Not to knock on those who support this method, I just personally dont like it.
19th November 2009, 07:52 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondey-

There is not going to be a way to completely stop piracy. Google just needs to step up the way the market works to prevent some of the piracy.

I understand devs deserve money for their hard work (and the log of my google checkout shows I support them) but I personally dont want any app reporting any information about myself or my phone. If there is a list of which apps do I will find an alternative for better or worse and not use the app. Not to knock on those who support this method, I just personally dont like it.

Well considering my app has been pirated 3x as much as it has been downloaded legally i would be willing to let go of the few that are not comfortable with their imei being registered on a website which only happens if u are stealing an app, most apps out there gather more information from you than that without you even knowing.
19th November 2009, 07:57 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
I don't get why people would install this program. If it detects pirated software on your phone then who the hell are you letting you use your phone? Lets say you know you have pirated software well then of course you wont install this program. If you know your running a clean rom and have no reason to suspect pirated software your giving up a lot of information for a false sense of security. So unless this is forcibly installed on everyone's phone I don't see what's the point.
19th November 2009, 08:55 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoace

I don't get why people would install this program. If it detects pirated software on your phone then who the hell are you letting you use your phone? Lets say you know you have pirated software well then of course you wont install this program. If you know your running a clean rom and have no reason to suspect pirated software your giving up a lot of information for a false sense of security. So unless this is forcibly installed on everyone's phone I don't see what's the point.

It's not a program you install. It is a database. App developers write routines into their programs which access the database. If an application suspects that it was illegally pirated, then it will send the user's IMEI to the database.
19th November 2009, 09:04 AM |#7  
Flag Gdansk
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This is stupid idea. Go to the source of piracy if you want to fight it.
Give people access to paid apps on market and they won't download illegal copies form rapidshare...
19th November 2009, 09:10 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by su27

Give people access to paid apps on market and they won't download illegal copies form rapidshare...

Riiiight... because if you give pirates the option to pay they'll definitely all pay right?
19th November 2009, 10:39 AM |#9  

More
This database thing bothers me.
Not because I might be stealing programs..
but because I might find one and not know its "dark"
Suddenly I'm on some blacklist because I thought an app was cool?

I just did a search on one of the torrent sites, and found a file to DL.
It has 231 apk files and 2 .bak files. (I'm assuming the bak files are for a cracked version of the paid apk) but many of these files are a)old versions or b) free already.
Normally I would say SCORE! I don't have to DL to the g1, then back up, uninstall, transfer to the pc, and store.

Last time I tried a file like that, more than half were for cupcake, and would not work on my donut. Recycle bin.

With this Database I would get tagged as a cheater the first time I tried to install any of those files that were marked. But I have no idea they are "dark" before hand.

While I thank the Dev's for the work they do.
{Seriously, Thank you Developers!}
I'm a student, and I'm poor, which means I'm cheap.
I have several free apks stored away. Hell, I still used youtube downloader 1.2...until it quit working last week. Why, because I don't want to spend money just to have a cool phone.

If you really want to make it hard on the thieves... someone make a program that cripples another program, until the user requests the full version. Then it reads the Imei number from the phone and sends an upgrade request to a server. The server requests payment. Server verifies payment. The server issues a hashed password based on the Imei, which is then sent back to the phone as a password. Customer never sees the password.
This is what Doc to go appears to do. I could be wrong.

Now make it so that program can be imbedded in any other program.

Now thieves need a whole crap load of hacking to find enough hashed passwords to find the hash.
If the hash is added to at random intervals, or a different hash is used based on the Imei number, they might never find the hash.

Besides that, how the heck does a program know if it has been stolen?
How can it tell between a stolen program and a wiped phone that is getting reinstalled with backed up apk's?
19th November 2009, 11:21 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu

I'm all for cracking down hard on piracy, but there are three big flaws with this solution:

1) How would Artfulbits verify that an app reporting a device is a "dark" device is making that report in good faith? If a bunch of pirates wanted to render this service pointless, they could just create apps that flood the service with false positives.

Exists several strategies, for example the most popular is "honey pot" strategy. When vendor especially making leak of software or prepare specially application to track piracy.

Quote:

2) It is possible (although difficult) to link IMEI to a user/owner. This makes a publicly accessible database of "dark" IMEIs somewhat shady in terms of being a breach of privacy.

For example in our country sufficient IMEI of the phone to find it owner and it location, of course if you have police under your shelders. That is why I am thinking that IMEI is a good identifier.

Quote:

3) Finally, if this service is to be useful, apps have to have some way of acting on the information in the database. That is just going to lead to folks "cracking" apks to remove the IMEI-checking routines, or simply using leakproof firewalls to prevent the app from accessin the IMEI database.

Thoughts?

Solution is not perfect, but can be easily enhanced. HTTPS protocol with certificate checks will make firewalls and redirections useless.

What functionality exactly you have in mind?
19th November 2009, 11:33 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

While I thank the Dev's for the work they do.
{Seriously, Thank you Developers!}
I'm a student, and I'm poor, which means I'm cheap.
I have several free apks stored away. Hell, I still used youtube downloader 1.2...until it quit working last week. Why, because I don't want to spend money just to have a cool phone.

Leave according to your money. what can I say... spend less, work more.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread