[ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview & Nightly Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

UPdownLoAD

Feb 4, 2007
First of all, big props to CMTeamEpic for keeping our phones protected from being outdated and providing the most vanilla CM experiences on the E4GT. You guys are awesome!

Unfortunately, I have a problem. The first time I flashed, I went from "Wild for the Night" to this build and experienced a modem issue. After reading the OP, I went back and ODINed to Rooted FF18, CWMed the recovery, then flashed the 20130306 nightly to find that the "Baseband Version" was still "Unknown". I downloaded the rwilco FF18 modem (zip) and flashed it using CWM, then the rwilco FL24 modem (zip). Neither worked/were recognized by the build. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Attached is a picture of the issue.

Start over again, but use FC09 stock (you don't need root since you will be flashing CM10 on it). Make sure it shows FC09 baseband, and then start flashing.

iamterence

Feb 10, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Re: [ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

First of all, big props to CMTeamEpic for keeping our phones protected from being outdated and providing the most vanilla CM experiences on the E4GT. You guys are awesome!

Unfortunately, I have a problem. The first time I flashed, I went from "Wild for the Night" to this build and experienced a modem issue. After reading the OP, I went back and ODINed to Rooted FF18, CWMed the recovery, then flashed the 20130306 nightly to find that the "Baseband Version" was still "Unknown". I downloaded the rwilco FF18 modem (zip) and flashed it using CWM, then the rwilco FL24 modem (zip). Neither worked/were recognized by the build. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Attached is a picture of the issue.

Errnmm.... this forum is for the SAMSUNG EPIC 4G, with the hardware keyboard. It seems like you have the Epic 4G Touch o_o

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

ninj0r

Mar 10, 2011
20120307 has the new built in superuser function. It works a bit different, but seems to function fine. More options on how to handle superuser requests. First time permission requests redirect to a full screen prompt. It's a little slower on the first request, but once permission is granted, subsequent requests seem to be granted faster. All my root apps work fine with the new setup as well.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

I flashed 20130307 and do not have root access, is it because I am using nitest with nexus modem?

bypod

Dec 1, 2010
Logan
Just checking in with the M2 release. Everything seems to be mint. Even Bluetooth connects to my car, although calls won't be directed through it for 10 or so seconds after I answer. Doesn't do any other strange behavior so far. Love it so much!

Although, has the brightness adjustment by sliding along the notification bar not been implemented yet or am I just not seeing it? If not there, is it a feature we might see return?

Wanted to update on this release. I paired my phone today with a Jabra Pro 6400 BT headset from work. It paired quickly and transferred phone audio almost immediately, but during the call, the phone rebooted. I know that there is a huge issue with BT because of changes in JB, but I wanted to point this out because throughout all my usage of CM10 and 10.1 I have never had a reboot issue! Kind of a compliment in a way, that it's been so stable.

Finally, my battery life is about 20% better or so on 10.1. No other issues detected so far. :good:

propjockey

Jan 1, 2012

I flashed 20130307 and do not have root access, is it because I am using nitest with nexus modem?

Probably. I'm sure there was a kernel change associated with the new superuser setup.

bpsears90

Sep 20, 2012
Waukegan

Bypod, what r u running right now?

Elixis

Sep 20, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Here's an issue that I just noticed. Keep in mind I am on a 100% clean install from ODIN>FC09>CM10.1. I updated my profile and PRL before I applied cm10.1.

I cannot send or receive MMS through my 3rd party (ChompSMS) application. If someone sends me a picture, I have to go to my stock messaging app, click download, then it'll appear in both apps.

If I send a picture, I get the picture with a red exclamation point, with the error message: Failed. Long hold to check APN settings.

MMSC: Blank
MMS Proxy: Blank
MMS Port: Blank

Please advise and thanks so much for everything so far!

gundamfan

Jun 4, 2011
Hollywood, Florida

I have the same issue with my phone as well, the way to resolve it is by plugging the phone into an outlet while using bluetooth. I plug my phone in while using the hand free bluetooth in my car, works fine. If I unplug it, the phone reboots. (I have been having issues with bluetooth since cm10, but plugging in resolves it!)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

bpsears90

Sep 20, 2012
Waukegan

K cuz I haven't tried bluetooth since 0303 and now I'm on 0306 so ill give it a shot

UPdownLoAD

Feb 4, 2007
Here's an issue that I just noticed. Keep in mind I am on a 100% clean install from ODIN>FC09>CM10.1. I updated my profile and PRL before I applied cm10.1.

I cannot send or receive MMS through my 3rd party (ChompSMS) application. If someone sends me a picture, I have to go to my stock messaging app, click download, then it'll appear in both apps.

If I send a picture, I get the picture with a red exclamation point, with the error message: Failed. Long hold to check APN settings.

MMSC: Blank
MMS Proxy: Blank
MMS Port: Blank

Please advise and thanks so much for everything so far!

Actually, in trying to help you, I have found a BUG! I'm on the M2 release. Please see below:

-Type *#*#3282#*#*
-Edit (you will need your MSL) **EDIT** SECOND BUG, WILL NOT TAKE MY MSL!!!!!
-Others
-Get rid of everything in Multimedia!
-Go back to MMSC URL
-This is where I see a "bug": it has the MMSC URL as http://mms.mobipcs.com whereas it should be http://mms.sprintpcs.com (assuming you're on Sprint that is, otherwise change it accordingly)

Last edited:

Elixis

Sep 20, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks for pointing that out. I got the same bug. Modem exception error. So we know where to fix the problem, we're just locked out. Lovely!

Sesquipedalian

Apr 23, 2007
Nashville, TN
Actually, in trying to help you, I have found a BUG! I'm on the M2 release. Please see below:

-Type *#*#3282#*#*
-Edit (you will need your MSL) **EDIT** SECOND BUG, WILL NOT TAKE MY MSL!!!!!
-Others
-Get rid of everything in Multimedia!
-Go back to MMSC URL
-This is where I see a "bug": it has the MMSC URL as http://mms.mobipcs.com whereas it should be http://mms.sprintpcs.com (assuming you're on Sprint that is, otherwise change it accordingly)

I'm not sure what that means, but I have the same setting, and get the same error when I enter my MSL.

However, if you use voice dialer and say "Open APNs", then tap the menu popup, you can see that the MMSC for APN2 EHRPD is correctly set to http://mms.sprintpcs.com.

dps33

Oct 4, 2008
Saginaw
Today first time I got auto update message for 10.1 weekly. I am using Nexus modem, does it make difference or I can update. ?

Sesquipedalian

Apr 23, 2007
Nashville, TN
Today first time I got auto update message for 10.1 weekly. I am using Nexus modem, does it make difference or I can update. ?

If I am wrong someone please correct me but I believe you would have to flash the ns4g modem patch after you flash the update.

If you're using Nexus modem, you'll need to flash a compatible kernel after updating CM, as DynamicN said.

HOWEVER, you will need to get a new version of your kernel, as they were kernel changes in 20130307 involving the new superuser setup. According to other users, if you do not use an updated kernel, you will not have root. Make sure you are getting the latest version of CM as well. If you're getting a weekly update notification, it sounds like you're CM Updater is on default settings, which doesn't include nightly releases. Check by going to Settings > About Phone > CyanogenMod Update and make sure under Update Types that "New versions (incl. Nightlies)" is selected. Hit refresh and get whatever the latest one is. As of this post, the latest version if 20130309.

I suggest using didhiy's popular nitest kernel. He released a 0308 version that includes the kernel changes is CM 20130307. Look for the file nitest-jb42_nr-twrp-0308.zip (or newer) at his goo.im page. If you sort by Modification Time, newest released should be at the top.

Also, be sure you get the NR version (nexus radio) instead of the ER version (epic radio). I recommend flashing the JB_BigMem patch as well, if you haven't already.

Last edited:

DJSmoove

Feb 25, 2010
Chicago

Sorry to be a pain but I notice there no developer section with 10.1. I'm trying to do USB debugging but can't seem to find it. Am I missing something?

iamterence

Feb 10, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Sorry to be a pain but I notice there no developer section with 10.1. I'm trying to do USB debugging but can't seem to find it. Am I missing something?

Not trying to be a **** at all, but this very same question has been answered over, and over, and over (And over again) before. A quick thread search does wonders :)

But to answer the question, go to Settings > About Phone and tap on Build Number at the bottom 7 times or so, and then Development Options will be there :)

Reactions: Drennan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 10.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is a preview build of CM10.1 for the Samsung Epic 4G. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Please submit a patch to our Gerrit instance if you want to help out.

WARNING: If you are not already on an official CM10 or CM10.1 build, this will wipe your data due to a resizing of the mtd partitions. If you wish to go back to another ROM, you will need to ODIN back to stock. Currently, the partition sizes are the same between CM10 and CM10.1

Recommended steps before you install:
    1. Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
    2. Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
    3. Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
    4. Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
    5. It is recommended that you wipe data before installing CM10.1 for the first time.

Additional Disclaimer:
    Any bug reports coming from an Unofficial CM10.1 build, or a modified/patched Official CM10.1 build (modem patch, kernels, etc.) should be directed to the originating thread. It is hard enough to provide bug support for the official releases without having to worry about bugs that may have been introduced by outside means. Bug reports are very welcome if you can reproduce them after flashing back to an official, stock build. We do want to be able to fix all the things. Thank you.

Nightly Install Instructions:
    1. Download from get.cm. Pay attention to the filenames. Don't grab a CM9 or CM10 build by mistake!
    2. Reboot into recovery and install.

Nightly Changelog: http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#epicmtd/cm10.1/next

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them. Recommended and highly suggested are the 4.2.1 gapps from goo.im. Any other versions could result in problems.

Known Issues:

- Bluetooth still needs some work. Things work (audio, tethering, file transfers) although they might not work every time. Also, there is a chance that it will get stuck "Turning bluetooth off..." when you attempt to, well, turn bluetooth off. If this happens, your best bet is to reboot your phone before the system bogs down due to logcat spam.

- Wired headset mic & buttons.

Previous preview Builds - Jellybean 4.2.1
    **Do not report bug to the bug tracker if you are using this build.**

cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121221-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121213-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip md5: a725db4df65a6229f7c5d69e33907756
    New Build, Jellybean 4.4.2

Here you are, a fresh build with the new Jellybean 4.2.2. That said, I don't know if there are any new bugs introduced by the new code changes.

- I have been using my BT headset for a few hours, doing my best to make it fail. So far it has been running very well, although I'm not going to declare it fixed yet. It's still early and I might just be getting lucky.

- I am not yet aware of any new gapps, so keep using the 4.2.1 gapps from goo. I did a dirty flash over my previous 4.2.1 build and haven't noticed any issues yet. YMMV.

Download cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip

New Build

New build. I accidentally missed the M1 build, but this should be pretty close. Nightlies should be in the somewhat near future.

No promises but check this build for any improvement in BT. It includes a test patch (more than just the upstream BT merges). The issues seem to still exist, but I've been having somewhat better luck.. with some things.

It could be a coincidence but here are some observations:
    Pro:
    - Better chance that BT will turn off and back on again.
    - Better chance that the device will connect each time.
    -- When the device doesn't connect, turning BT off/on will allow it to connect (maybe a couple times as necessary).

Con:
    - When using Apollo: If I let an album get to the end and stop audio on it's own, BT audio seems to stop working when beginning a new album. Needs more testing but it's happened more than once. Reboot will usually fix it. Maybe I need to stop letting the album end on its own :p I also need to test other music apps for similar behavior to rule out an Apollo bug.
    - Maybe more, but I forget for now. Let me know if anything is better.

cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    New Preview Build.

Still just some upstream updates:

- This has the new version of the lockscreen/homescreen clock/calendar/weather widget (You may recognize it from CM10)
    - Probably more... poke around :)

I know it's a couple days old already, things have still been a little crazy as the holidays wrap up.

Download cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    The cm-10.1.3 stable build has a flaw with the hardware keyboard arrow keys. Flash the zip in this post to fix it.