[Shell Extension]Display APK icons from explorer

Search This thread

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
9/2/2011 UPDATE:
V2.1 release, fix the explorer no response when first time adb start.
If you find no response when installing, try reconnect your device
Any feedback is welcome!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/24/2011 UPDATE:
V2.0 can install the app directly from context menu, do not forget to connect your phone first.
Please read the wiki page first
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for let you waiting so long, here are some UPDATE:

Working well on win7 32bit & 64bit, please see the wiki page on http://code.google.com/p/apkshellext/
Now it requires .net framework 4, there is a download link on wiki page.

Thanks to dds.feng, he reminded me that I have this project pending, and he brings an important patch.

Good luck everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, All
I found it's difficult to find a correct apk file among names when I want to install one to my lovely G1, then I did a windows extension.

you need .NET framework 2.0 or above installed.
download the dll here http://code.google.com/p/apkshellext/downloads/list

Works Only on XP 32bit and possibly on win7 32bit.
Doesn't work on x64 platform for now. It's ok if you want a try:p

extract all stuff in the zip,
excute reg.bat,
after register successfully, you will got, probably you need a reboot:cool:

snapshot.JPG

Windows_7_snapshot.jpg

please feedback directly on the project page or mail: guo.jingang@gmail.com

It's created with VStudio 2008 express and c#, you can also find the source on project page.

I will keep updating this. Good luck!

Last edited:

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
I am not sure if it's the same for both XP and Vista (haven't tried 7 yet) but there is an easier way (tried and tested).

Open an Explorer (not Internet Explorer) window. Folder, computer, doesn't matter.

Go to Tools then Folder Options
Click on View tab
Check the Hide extensions for known file types
Then click OK

It's been working for me.

olearyp

Sep 1, 2009
I am not sure if it's the same for both XP and Vista (haven't tried 7 yet) but there is an easier way (tried and tested).

Open an Explorer (not Internet Explorer) window. Folder, computer, doesn't matter.

Go to Tools then Folder Options
Click on View tab
Check the Hide extensions for known file types
Then click OK

It's been working for me.

While any power user should have that option disabled, that's not what this post is about. This is about getting Windows to use the icon embedded in the APK. (32-bit Vista, need to reboot to be sure, but not working yet)

pascanu

Jan 22, 2009
Tg. Mures
Couldn't make it work on Windows XP prefoessional either.
Said it registered but no icons apear.

[EDIT]: It does work! Just needed a reboot. Thanks for this!

Last edited:

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
ooops...finally another user claim successful....I though it will never success except on my machines...

after register, probably no need to reboot, just kill your explorer and restart it....

looks like vista and 7 is using a different interface for extracting icon for certain kind of file... I will look into it...

I'm going to add some feature like add a context menu to install apk to your Gphone...
any good idea?

Reactions: G3-SCORPIO

PlatinumMOTO

Apr 21, 2009
I can not get it to work on my xp I've tried rebooting,killing explorer, and extracting to different directories. Do I need to extract it to \system32?

allangoing

Oct 27, 2009
sites.google.com
I can not get it to work on my xp I've tried rebooting,killing explorer, and extracting to different directories. Do I need to extract it to \system32?

you don't have to extract it to system32, but you need to run the reg.bat first, and you should see something like "register successful" message. after it, you cannot move the dll file, since the path is recorded in registry.

sometimes the icon doesn't show since icon cache, please try see the properties of your apk file, if everything correct, you should see the icon in the properties window.

if still doesn't work, here is a piece of registry keys extract from my computer, please check if you have the same:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.apk]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.apk\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.apk\shellex]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.apk\shellex\IconHandler]
@="{66391a18-f480-413b-9592-a10044de6cf4}"

still problem, reply again, describe what you did and I will try my best to help:p

Reactions: G3-SCORPIO

mwenyuan

Jan 15, 2004

soloxp

Jun 18, 2007
I had a hard time getting this to work till I right click on one of the apk's and properties to find DroidExplorer icon. uninstall DroidExplorer and it work. Did it on win-xp and win-7.

Thanks Allangoing been looking for something like this for a long time.

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
I had a hard time getting this to work till I right click on one of the apk's and properties to find DroidExplorer icon. uninstall DroidExplorer and it work. Did it on win-xp and win-7.

Thanks Allangoing been looking for something like this for a long time.

Maybe I am wrong but i do not see anywhere saying this is for Droidexplorer.

From the explanation this is for the regular build in explorer for MS so for it not working in droid explorer i would say thats a droid explorer issue since that is not the normal ms one but a custom build application

soloxp

Jun 18, 2007
Maybe I am wrong but i do not see anywhere saying this is for Droidexplorer.

From the explanation this is for the regular build in explorer for MS so for it not working in droid explorer i would say thats a droid explorer issue since that is not the normal ms one but a custom build application

I never said it was for Droidexplorer. Droidexplorer was my cause for the icons not working. So I uninstall it...now all my apk's have icons.

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque
Didn't work for me either running XP. I looked through properties like others suggested but found nothing that would allow me to change this. Does it have to be changed where it says "open file with..." or is something else changing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    9/2/2011 UPDATE:
    V2.1 release, fix the explorer no response when first time adb start.
    If you find no response when installing, try reconnect your device
    Any feedback is welcome!
    8/24/2011 UPDATE:
    V2.0 can install the app directly from context menu, do not forget to connect your phone first.
    Please read the wiki page first
    Sorry for let you waiting so long, here are some UPDATE:

Working well on win7 32bit & 64bit, please see the wiki page on http://code.google.com/p/apkshellext/
    Now it requires .net framework 4, there is a download link on wiki page.

Thanks to dds.feng, he reminded me that I have this project pending, and he brings an important patch.

Good luck everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, All
    I found it's difficult to find a correct apk file among names when I want to install one to my lovely G1, then I did a windows extension.

you need .NET framework 2.0 or above installed.
    download the dll here http://code.google.com/p/apkshellext/downloads/list

Works Only on XP 32bit and possibly on win7 32bit.
    Doesn't work on x64 platform for now. It's ok if you want a try:p

extract all stuff in the zip,
    excute reg.bat,
    after register successfully, you will got, probably you need a reboot:cool:

snapshot.JPG

Windows_7_snapshot.jpg

please feedback directly on the project page or mail: guo.jingang@gmail.com

It's created with VStudio 2008 express and c#, you can also find the source on project page.

I will keep updating this. Good luck!
    Auto-Installer

I updated my auto installer to the lastest version (2.3)

download here :

http://goo.gl/fwKWNQ
    Automatic DLL Installer

I Updated the .EXE automatic installer with new version to v2.0

make sure .Net Framework 4 is installed and unLocked

Automatic installer v0.2

X64 : Download Here

X86 : download here

all thanks to thread starter
    for me don't work win7 X64 sp1

Try copy and paste the following in place of the install script. This automatically gives the script (bat file) admin privileges without the necessity of right clicking and running as admin (to which many people are having dramas with).

Also try downloading an application called FileTypes this allows you to unassociate the apk extension from that which it is currently associated and possibly the very reason for blocking the view of the apk's icons in Windows explorer. What that means is that if you have the apk associated with say 7zip then the icon will no longer display in Windows explorer. You need to first unassociate apk and then the icons display perfectly.
    Further to this, you may do some registry hacks to make the apk display using the apkextension posted in this thread AS WELL AS your favorite archiving app. PM me the archive app WinRAR,WinZIP, 7Zip or what ever and I will make you a reg file that you can run to allow everything to work (note I will need to know what version of Windows and 32bit or 64bit as well).

Here is the script code:
    Note: I have only added the parts in bold
    Code:
     @ ECHO off
    [B]:checkPrivileges 
    NET FILE 1>NUL 2>NUL
    if '%errorlevel%' == '0' ( goto gotPrivileges ) else ( goto getPrivileges ) 
    :getPrivileges 
    if '%1'=='ELEV' (shift & goto gotPrivileges)  
    setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
    set "batchPath=%~0"
    setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
    ECHO Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" 
    ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "!batchPath!", "ELEV", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" 
    "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" 
    exit /B 
    :gotPrivileges 
    :START
    setlocal & pushd[/B]
    ECHO ################################################
    ECHO ##            APK Shell Extension             ##
    ECHO ##                                            ##
    ECHO ##     http://apkshellext.googlecode.com      ##
    ECHO ################################################

SYSTEMINFO | FIND /i "x64-based pc"

IF %ERRORLEVEL%==0 (
      ECHO.
      ECHO NOTE: You are using 64bit OS, For WIN7 User, you need "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" to run install!
      ECHO.
      "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\regasm.exe" /codebase "%~dp0\apkshellext.dll"
    ) ELSE (
      ECHO You are using 32bit OS
      "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\regasm.exe" /codebase "%~dp0\apkshellext.dll"
    )

ECHO Done!
    ECHO.
    ECHO /-------------------------------------------------------------------\
    ECHO  apkshellext is an open-source project,
    ECHO  Please visit http://apkshellext.googlecode.com for more information
    ECHO \-------------------------------------------------------------------/

PAUSE
      [user=279333]@ECHO[/user] ON
    Hi guys i updated the Automatic installer

now it is Multi-X ( 23bit and 64bit )

download : here

Edit : guys how did you do the context menu ??