FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd November 2012, 10:40 PM |#1021  
Flag Northbrook
Thanks Meter: 579

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmit

why you reccomend for me the nexus ?
i need some long explain please...

Well you said you thought WP8 is exciting, but with a Nexus you will get Android updates the fastest. Just think, when they release.Android 5.0 the Nexus 4 will be there to receive it. Won't THAT be more exciting than whatever next WP releases?
Also, no WP7 devices were upgraded to WP8. I don't really trust WP and updates because of that.

And WP8 isn't very exciting at all anyway, you will like it for a day than BAM! Instant boredom.

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

23rd November 2012, 04:56 AM |#1022  
Flag Aberdeen
Thanks Meter: 4

More
xperia s future proof ??
friends,ive decided on buying xperia s .so i want to know does it have decent dev support and will it get unofficial updates and custom roms in future.ie; is the device future proof

N.B:galaxy nexus is on my second preference but coz of better camera and better gpu (im a gamer) xperia s is my 1st preference.
23rd November 2012, 08:23 AM |#1023  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I wanted go buy the asus transformer infinity tf700 pad for my birthday but it has no sim card slot. On the one hand i can use my phone as a wifi hotspot but on the other hand i could just buy a tablet with a sim slot.
Should i buy a normal tablet and use wifi hotspots or just buy a tablet with a sim slot? I have unlimited 15 mb internet speed on my cellphone only im afraid it will drain both my phone and the tablets battery.
Help will be much appriciated!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
23rd November 2012, 08:31 AM |#1024  
Flag Ribeirão Preto
Thanks Meter: 2,328

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoforever90

friends,ive decided on buying xperia s .so i want to know does it have decent dev support and will it get unofficial updates and custom roms in future.ie; is the device future proof

N.B:galaxy nexus is on my second preference but coz of better camera and better gpu (im a gamer) xperia s is my 1st preference.

There is a CyanogenMod team, a AOKP team and a Paranoid team (which is also a Pac team). Is that enough for you?

"What really matters in this world, anyway?"
The Following User Says Thank You to Felimenta97 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Felimenta97 Ad-Free
23rd November 2012, 09:34 AM |#1025  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagdude

Well you said you thought WP8 is exciting, but with a Nexus you will get Android updates the fastest. Just think, when they release.Android 5.0 the Nexus 4 will be there to receive it. Won't THAT be more exciting than whatever next WP releases?
Also, no WP7 devices were upgraded to WP8. I don't really trust WP and updates because of that.

And WP8 isn't very exciting at all anyway, you will like it for a day than BAM! Instant boredom.

why boredom?
23rd November 2012, 01:50 PM |#1026  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello guys, I'm getting a new phone for Christmas, I want something with a big screen (no note or Droid dna) I have 460 dollars for it, thx

Sent from my LG-E400 using xda premium
23rd November 2012, 02:39 PM |#1027  
Flag Northbrook
Thanks Meter: 579

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmit

why boredom?

First of all, you get barely any apps.
Second, I want you to name 10 exciting features in WP8 not in WP7 or Android

23rd November 2012, 08:35 PM |#1028  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Been using a Nexus S... darn big screen phones
Help me choose. I think there is no phone good that fits. Is there anything on the horizon?

I have owned these phones and these are my comments.

Galaxy S i9000 - Great but didn't like the GPS hardware fault. Dual core would be nicer. Smaller screen but same battery size and so longer battery life would have been good. Had this stolen from me.

X710D (Galaxy Note Chinese MTK6577 clone) - Great phone, incredible value. Screen was too big for me - decided better to travel light. Closed source Mediatek drivers was a deal breaker for me on these otherwise brilliant phones. That said, I would put up with this if the same thing was available in the Nexus S size (i9020).

Nexus S CDMA (i9020 - not i9020a GSM) - Love the form factor. Screen is detailed, perfect size - not as small as the SE Mini X10 so compatible. But... the GPS hardware Ariel also broke too - not impressed! The GSM version seems waaay too expensive - only 1ghz single core yet >£200 used? - especially compared to the MTK phones. If it was cheaper I'd get one though even though it's single core.

Phones I'm not sure about and why:

SGSII (i9200): The most tweakable option. I really think it should be cheaper now the mtk phones and the SGSIII are out. I like the ability to tweak the GPS at a low level with SIRF and generally it sounds well documented. Just don't need just a big screen though.

iPhone(s). The development & rooting side is an unknown to me. I guess I can put up with the closed connectors etc. Also not sure what apps can access other apps - data security etc.

SGS III i9300. Too expensive. I've had 2 phones stolen this year. Could live with the screensize but not at this price.

Nokia Lumia. Microsoft... run! Maybe I'm jumping the gun... Is it that hard to deal with?

Razor Maxx: Price isn't too bad now (replace the battery on standard for cheaper) but once again... don't think I really need that screen size after using the Nexus. Not happy on Motorolas locked bootloader stance.

Some lateral thinking:

- watchphone. Carry another phone and use only when needed.
- use my £15 email only VF354 and wait it out for something better. Use backup codes for Google authenticator.

Other things:

- no eink mobiles still?
- no access to modem still? not even just the gps part or bluetooth with geeksphone?

I know I have some unusual tastes. I expect a lot but I know I have to make compromises. I just don't use a lot of the functionality on something like a SGSIII but I want to have it there for those rare times when I need it i.e. I don't feel I need a big screen for Sat Nav actually or rare web browsing. What's important to me is the quality of the GPS chip for example is it SiRF III or 1? - not the size of the screen.

edit: What I really want is a small screen phone with a massive battery. That's a Nokia E55 but it's Symbian :/
23rd November 2012, 09:14 PM |#1029  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Looking for a tablet for a two year old, just needs to do the basic painting, drawing, and some kids books, needs to be disposably cheap (Like cheapest tablet out there cheap) Let me know what you find.
23rd November 2012, 09:14 PM |#1030  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagdude

First of all, you get barely any apps.
Second, I want you to name 10 exciting features in WP8 not in WP7 or Android

i dont talk about any app or game i talk about that i can use system are going to be the next thing before every body...
23rd November 2012, 09:24 PM |#1031  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
And for the WP8-interested, check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post34507924

Launcher 7 is terrible and does not come close to the feel of a Windows Phone. You won't find another phone that exudes quality quite like them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)