Bad battery life...what's the deal?

Search This thread

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
I am having terrible battery life and I just don't understand I deleted most of the bloatware. I tried to use betterbatterystats to see partial wakelocks but I guess you need root now to see them. I'm at a lost now

uploadfromtaptalk1398481401173.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398481420044.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
80 people can look at this but no one can offer insight.....oh joy what a great community this is turning out to be

Commodore 64

May 6, 2013
The stats you posted shows there isn't much running in the background. I would say do a factory reset:
Turn the phone off
Hold volume up+home+power buttons
Use volume keys to scroll down to wipe data+cache. Power button to select. Warning: your apps and progress are gonna be gone.

Let it boot up normally. Start installing apps and setup your phone. It takes 2 or 3 charge cycles and a couple of reboots to reach optimized battery usage.

Tip: dialing *#*#4636#*#*
1- you can check the health state of your battery (does it charge to 100%? My battery voltage at 74% charge is 4013mV)
2- you can go to device information and turn off LTE from preferred network types. This saves battery when phone is sitting idle or if you're on your homes WiFi and it is faster than LTE anyway

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398552472286.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398552472286.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 145

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
The stats you posted shows there isn't much running in the background. I would say do a factory reset:
Turn the phone off
Hold volume up+home+power buttons
Use volume keys to scroll down to wipe data+cache. Power button to select. Warning: your apps and progress are gonna be gone.

Let it boot up normally. Start installing apps and setup your phone. It takes 2 or 3 charge cycles and a couple of reboots to reach optimized battery usage.

Tip: dialing *#*#4636#*#*
1- you can check the health state of your battery (does it charge to 100%? My battery voltage at 74% charge is 4013mV)
2- you can go to device information and turn off LTE from preferred network types. This saves battery when phone is sitting idle or if you're on your homes WiFi and it is faster than LTE anyway

I really appreciate your help man. I really really don't want to factory reset but I guess I have no choice

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
I'm at 60% with 3898 mv. This battery cycle is definitely better than yesterday's

gainstatom

Feb 27, 2013
I was wondering. How bad is your battery life? How much percent after a minute and stuff like that.

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
I was wondering. How bad is your battery life? How much percent after a minute and stuff like that.

Do you mean fast does my batter % per minute? How do I check that without staring at my batter for a minute?

Today's battery cycle is slightly better
I am at 21% with 8 hrs 22 min on battery and 4 hrs 35 min screen on time

skyrocketeer

Feb 13, 2012
Google Pixel 8
Might be the apps that you've installed because I regularly get 16+hrs on battery with 6+ hours of screen on time without power save mode.

Click android os and see how long CPU awake time is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
Might be the apps that you've installed because I regularly get 16+hrs on battery with 6+ hours of screen on time without power save mode.

Click android os and see how long CPU awake time is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I got around 1.5 hours

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
Yeah, you definitely have something going on there. Assuming don't have power hungry apps running in the background, I would say you either gotta do a factory reset or swap out the battery. Those stats are definitely not normal.

FidWasPl.png

aygWh1il.png

I'll get the screen on time up to about 7.5hrs before it dies out on me on this cycle. After the few few initial cycles, my stats have evened out and become more consistent. Have you tried doing a hard power cycle by removing the battery and keeping it out for at least a minute? If not, I would give that a try before your next full charge.

abraxo

Oct 9, 2011
I'm also experiencing pretty subpar battery (I disabled all the bloatware etc.). It was rapidly draining at first but I managed to 'slow it down'. That being said, I only charged this phone once since I just got it. Is it possible that my battery will 'optimize' after a few cycles or should I save myself the trouble and factory reset now?

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, you definitely have something going on there. Assuming don't have power hungry apps running in the background, I would say you either gotta do a factory reset or swap out the battery. Those stats are definitely not normal.

FidWasPl.png

aygWh1il.png

I'll get the screen on time up to about 7.5hrs before it dies out on me on this cycle. After the few few initial cycles, my stats have evened out and become more consistent. Have you tried doing a hard power cycle by removing the battery and keeping it out for at least a minute? If not, I would give that a try before your next full charge.

I have not tried a hard power cycle. Can you elaborate more on that. I just have to wait till my phone is dead and take the battery out for a minute

I'm also experiencing pretty subpar battery (I disabled all the bloatware etc.). It was rapidly draining at first but I managed to 'slow it down'. That being said, I only charged this phone once since I just got it. Is it possible that my battery will 'optimize' after a few cycles or should I save myself the trouble and factory reset now?

I would say give it 3-4 cycles I'm on my 4th and if I don't see any improvement I guess I'll factory reset

ravennyc

Oct 16, 2009
New York
Going thru all your posts. I picked up my phone 2 days ago. Charged it to 100% once (the night I picked up the S5). Monitoring the improvements after a few cycles.
Below is the consumption after 1 full charge.

Going to plug it in now for a full charge.. will post tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it improves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1398610077417.jpg
    1398610077417.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 98

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
Going thru all your posts. I picked up my phone 2 days ago. Charged it to 100% once (the night I picked up the S5). Monitoring the improvements after a few cycles.

Going to plug it in now for a full charge.. will post tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it improves.

What's your screen on time

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
I have not tried a hard power cycle. Can you elaborate more on that. I just have to wait till my phone is dead and take the battery out for a minute

Yup, that's basically all you do. Either let it die completely or have it a few % off from dying, take it out and let it sit for at least a minute. I'd keep it out for about 5 minutes, though. Pop it back in, fully charge and see if anything has changed. If not, it looks like a factory reset or replacing the battery would be your next steps, unfortunately.

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
Yup, that's basically all you do. Either let it die completely or have it a few % off from dying, take it out and let it sit for at least a minute. I'd keep it out for about 5 minutes, though. Pop it back in, fully charge and see if anything has changed. If not, it looks like a factory reset or replacing the battery would be your next steps, unfortunately.

I let it die completely yesterday got 5 hours today I'm going to let it it get down to 2% and let it die it's at 15% right now

ravennyc

Oct 16, 2009
New York

Here is the 5 days with the phone.. Charged it last evening..

Screen time: 5h 9m
Voice: 2h 44m

Attachments

• 1398840323272.jpg
    1398840323272.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 87