[HOWTO] Cook your custom rom for LG P500

Search This thread

mohammedalmusimie

Dec 21, 2010
Amman
customized rom

i have question, if i have custom kernels that i want to add to my new Rom, such one that enable JIT,Hd acceleration,OC...etc , how can i add them to my rom instead of flashing them after installing the rom?

rawaaw

Dec 6, 2010
How to assemble set of *.img and *.mbn back to dz image ?
For old models like GT540 DzCreate builds DZ but for P500 has no corresponding .ini file.

janitux

Dec 27, 2010
Chile
For old models like GT540 DzCreate builds DZ but for P500 has no corresponding .ini file.
Well, you need to flash the zip trought custom recovery, i don't think we have a way to rebuild a .dz with this method

by the way, new version of the howto :D if you find any error, just let me know

janitux

Dec 27, 2010
Chile
i have question, if i have custom kernels that i want to add to my new Rom, such one that enable JIT,Hd acceleration,OC...etc , how can i add them to my rom instead of flashing them after installing the rom?
I don't know for custom kernels, but if you want such things as enable hw accel or jit, you need to modify values on system/build.prop

ruigui

Oct 11, 2010

You have an option in kitchen that extracts boot.img to a temp folder. You can edit it there (can't help with that because i'm still learning how to tweak a kernel...).
Then in the same menu where it has the option to extract boot.img, is also an option to repack it.

I tried to create a section for P500 in .ini file, but it didn't work... If anyone knows this help would be welcome. Although i don't need/want to flash kernels with kdz, all info is always good info ;)

@ janitux
Good work

Reactions: mohammedalmusimie

diordna2

Dec 12, 2010
whenever i try to open the kitchen menu i get this thing.what am i doing wrong?

Attachments

• error.bmp
    81.1 KB · Views: 225

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
Is there a way to proceed when you're working with a cab file with wdb & wdh files instead of KDZ?

diordna2

Dec 12, 2010
You need to copy the kitchen folder to c:\cygwin\home\YOURUSER then you can do a
Code:
cd kitchen
./menu
from cygwin
Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

thanks.it worked.

can we use a live cd with linux instead of cygwin?what version is better?
could you include in the first post how to jit+ha the rom so we dont need to flash it after?(maybe the script for tweaks?)

Last edited:

ruigui

Oct 11, 2010
thanks.it worked.

can we use a live cd with linux instead of cygwin?what version is better?
could you include in the first post how to jit+ha the rom so we dont need to flash it after?(maybe the script for tweaks?)

To enable those, you must edit /system/build.prop
Lines that are important:
debug.sf.hw=1 (0=disabled, 1=enabled)
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit (fast=disabled, jit=enabled)
dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m (default=24m, recommended=32m)
media.stagefright.enable-player=false (change to true, to increase benchmark values. But you'll have issues with media playing, and it gives no extra performance)

If you don't want to use cygwin, use any distro you like. You shouldn't have issues with any. You might want to use 32bit distros, just in case...

anyone can create a stock rom deodex,root etc...but with lg home launcher ?

This tutorial is to help you to do that ;)
Just follow instructions and begin to customize your ROMs.

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
you shouldn't get three system.mbn files, did you used the 1.0b of DzDecryptor? when i used it, it said something about merging, i think that it gets the three files and then combines them to get a proper system.mbn

I couldn't extract files from wdb with lg utils, sorry. if you have success on this, tell me how and i'll see if i can adapt the files to the kitchen

I've tried that and keep getting a message about a missing _StartUpgrade or something like that...

diordna2

Dec 12, 2010
any way to install the apps from nandroid backup on the new builded rom?excepting titanium backup where i have to install the apps one by one

Last edited:

ccdreadcc

Dec 4, 2010
Chennai
how to remove unwanted apps from the custom rom?
just remove it from Kitchen\WORKING_xxxxxx_xxxxxx\system\app ???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there, we are going to use excellent dsixda's HTC Android Kitchen to cook our custom ROMs for LG P500. The list of the things we are going to need:
    1. Original ROM (Check this thread)
    2. LG Utils 0.4.2 (Check this URL)
    3. DzDecryptor v1.0b(Check this thread)
    4. Cygwin (Check this URL
    5. Unyaffsmbn (Check this thread)
    6. Dsixda's HTC Android Kitchen (Check this thread)

Note: I have a "romcooking" folder on my home (C:\Users\Patricio\romcooking), inside i have all the utils needed, and the .kdz file for the stock ROM. I recommend to use tab to complete filenames since they are too long.

1. First we need to get a dz from the kdz (original firmware), extract LG Utils 0.4.2 and open KP500-Utils-EN.exe (You need to run this as administrator, or else you are getting an empty .cab file), select the I option (Extract files from KDZ file), and type the route to your .kdz file (Mine is C:\Users\Patricio\romcooking\V10A_00.kdz). Now, you must have a V10A_00.cab (Or another name, it depends on the stock rom you downloaded), open it with a extractor like 7zip or similar and extract the file "LGP500AT-00-V10a-EUR-XX-SEP-25-2010+0.dz" or similar to our romcooking folder.
    2. Then we are going to uncompress the .dz with DZDecrypt (Press Win + R, type cmd and enter, then you cd to the folder where DzDecrypt is located (ex:
      Code:
      cd C:\Users\Patricio\romcooking\DZDecryptor_v1.0b
      then we type:
      Code:
      DZDecrypt.exe "C:\Users\Patricio\romcooking\LGP500AT-00-V10a-EUR-XX-SEP-25-2010+0.dz" C:\Users\Patricio\romcooking\stockrom
      This is going to create a "stockrom" folder in our original romcooking folder, you are going to see a lot of files in the stockrom folder, the important ones are boot.img and system.mbn (DZDecrypt should have merged your system.mbn_0, system.mbn_1 and system.mbn_2)
    3. We need to install cygwin, open the setup.exe, just keep hitting next until you are on the select packages screen, go to "Devel" menu and select to install gcc, gdb and make, in "Interpreters" check perl, in "Archive" check zip and unzip, in "Web" check wget, in "Editors" check nano and vim and in "Utils" select cpio, util-linux and ncurses. Make some tea and wait for the cygwin install to finish and we are ready to go to the next step.
    4. We are going to compile unyaffsmbn, copy the extracted files from unyaffsmbn, system.mbn and boot.img to C:\cygwin\home\Patricio, now fire up cygwin and compile unyaffsmbn with:
      Code:
      gcc -o unyaffsmbn unyaffsmbn.c
      Now uncompress system.mbn, delete symlinks of bin/ and zip everything with:
      Code:
      mkdir system
      cd system
      ../unyaffsmbn.exe ../system.mbn
      find bin -type l -exec rm {} +
      cd ..
      zip -r stockrom.zip boot.img system/
      We are ready to go to the kitchen :) (We have a stockrom.zip on C:\cygwin\home\Patricio, remember that)
    5. Now we are going to use dsixda's HTC Android Kitchen, we need to have installed JDK. After we have downloaded and uncompressed the kitchen (Mine is in C:\cygwin\home\Patricio\kitchen), we need to put the ziped file we got in the previous step into the original_update folder of the kitchen. We are ready to go! fire up cygwin and cd to the kitchen location and exec ./menu , select option 1, you should see the zip file, put the number of it, and you are ready to go (It will create a WORKING_XXXXXX_XXXXXX folder, you can modify the files in WORKING_XXXX_XXXXX/system, add APKs, modify the apns file, etc).
      This command also gives us a lot of options for our rom: enable root, add busybox, deodex our files, zipalign, etc. If you are going to edit text files, use an editor like Notepad++ or any other program that can open/edit/save files in linux compliant style. It's pretty easy to use the kitchen, just check the official thread for options or help

The common options i use are:
    1. Add root permission (option 2), press f when asked and you are done
    2. Add Busybox
    3. Change name of the rom, easy cake
    4. Advanced options, press 0
    5. Add /data/app functionality
    6. Add Apps2SD
    7. Add custom boot animation functionality
    8. Deodex files in your ROM
    9. And Finally: Zipalign all *.apk files to optimize RAM usage

That should do the trick, when you are ready to cook your rom, just type 99, wait for it to build and it should be in the OUTPUT_ZIP folder in your kitchen folder.

Took info from this thread (About decompressing .dz and .mbn, and making it to work with the kitchen), and info from ruigui and tritant in this thread. The awesome android kitchen by dsixda. Sorry if i forgot to mention any work, just post it or pm me :)
    If you have anything you want to add to the guide, just post it :)
    :(:(:( I dont know whats the problem, when I run the ./menu command I get this error...screenshot attached :( please help me

Possible solution, from that kitchen_readme.txt file:
    6) When it shows all the package names, go to the top and select "All <-> Default" until it changes to "All <-> Install" (you must click on the arrows)

EDIT: Another solution, if the above doesn't work still:

In the file .bash_profile (located in the folder that Cygwin starts up in, e.g. c:/cygwin/home/john), add to the **end** of the file:

Code:
    PATH=/bin:\${PATH}

Or simply type this from a command prompt instead:

Code:
    echo "PATH=/bin:\\\${PATH}" >> ~/.bash_profile

Then, close Cygwin and restart it by clicking on the Cygwin shortcut.
    You don't need to dual boot to linux. It can be done with cygwin.
    When you follow dsixda's guide to install kitchen, do as said but don't install cygwin from that guide.
    Instead, download from official site, choose default options, but add these packages (it will be compliant with kitchen and give a little extra funcionality):
    Devel: gcc, gdb, make
    Interpreters: perl
    Utils: cpio, util-linux, ncurses
    Archive: zip, unzip
    Web: wget
    Editors: vi, nano

Good guide, nicely done ;)

EDIT:
    In my wife's machine (using windows 7 64bit. i'm without computer, for now....), i've installed cygwin as said above.
    Then added two folders to my home dir:
    kitchen and unyaffsmbn
    In kitchen, use the kitchen ;)
    In unyaffsmbn, copy the files from unyaffsmbn.zip to that dir, then compile it there

EDIT2:
    If you edit text files under windows, USE NOTEPAD++, or any other program that can open/edit/save files in linux compliant style.
    There are differences in Windows and Linux when ENTER is pressed, and you'll have issues when trying to flash or run your custom ROM
    Yes same question?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using xda premium

In kitchen
    use adavanced options no 17 to add etc/init.d support for scripts ...

then just add the scripts or any tweaks in this folder .. that's it

and for some tweaks refer the below link it has very good tweaks and also instructions on how to create a tweak script

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1227269
    Other methode for exctract mbn file, not need to connect the phone.
    Windows only....

(1) Download LG-Utils 0.4.2: http://www.assembla.com/spaces/ks360...tils-0.4.2.zip
    (2) Run KP500-Utils-EN.exe (or whatever language you prefer out of the available choices) and select I to extract the KDZ.
    (3) Open the resulting CAB file and extract the DZ file.
    (4) Download DZExtract: http://www.frenchcoder.com/upload/DZExtract-V0.2.zip
    (5) Use DZExtract to extract the MBN files:

DZExtract -x GW620RAT-V10c-OCT-21-2009-RGS-CA_DZ+0.dz C:\extractedTo\