[Q] Odin a stock firmware

Search This thread

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
If i use odin to flash a stock firmware will it delete all of the pictures inside the phone?

tokenpoke

Apr 3, 2011
No. I have pictures and music and all SD card contents dating back to the time I bought the phone and I used Odin last week to return to stock.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
No, but you may need to factory reset, which would delete all the files in your device..

There are possible ways trying to get around this, but its safer to just back up your important files in case something unexpected happens

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
No, but you may need to factory reset, which would delete all the files in your device..

There are possible ways trying to get around this, but its safer to just back up your important files in case something unexpected happens

well the phone im doing it on doesnt start and just stays stuck on the samsung logo so do you think itll still work.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
well the phone im doing it on doesnt start and just stays stuck on the samsung logo so do you think itll still work.

Don't know, often times that means a factory reset might be needed, but can you tell me what happened to it? There may be other ways to fix it

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
The phone belongs to a buddy of mine but he told me it just randomly happened.
btw nice e90

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
The phone belongs to a buddy of mine but he told me it just randomly happened.
btw nice e90

Hmm.. Ok try flashing firmware with Odin, if that doesn't fix it then flash twrp recovery and reboot to recovery, after that do a factory reset within twrp.. This will perform a factory reset without wiping user files.. Reboot and it should boot up

Edit: oh and yes I know, wish it was mine :/

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
Hmm.. Ok try flashing firmware with Odin, if that doesn't fix it then flash twrp recovery and reboot to recovery, after that do a factory reset within twrp.. This will perform a factory reset without wiping user files.. Reboot and it should boot up

Edit: oh and yes I know, wish it was mine :/

so the first odin shouldnt delete anything from the gallery? no matter which rom i flash

ohhh, if it was an m3 id be wishing too

Last edited:

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
so the first odin shouldnt delete anything from the gallery? no matter which rom i flash

ohhh, if it was an m3 id be wishing too

Right, but you're not flashing a rom, you're flashing firmware.. You could also just flash a rom, but I don't know how your buddy wants his device

Bro I love m3's!! Been in love with them since day one.. I just have that display pic because it looks nice lol

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
Right, but you're not flashing a rom, you're flashing firmware.. You could also just flash a rom, but I don't know how your buddy wants his device

Bro I love m3's!! Been in love with them since day one.. I just have that display pic because it looks nice lol

Alright well here goes nothing!

Hopefully when im done with my e36 ill be chasing those e90s

EDIT: When i attempt to flash with odin it says <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1) and the phone says odin flash write faliure

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
What firmware version did you try to flash? If it was ever updated to 4.3 you can only ever flash the same or newer firmware again. So if it had been updated to NC2 before, you can only flash NC2 firmware. (Latest version). If this doesn't apply, you might want to try reinstalling drivers. Also, only use Odin v3.07 or 3.09.

You can try to odin flash twrp recovery though, then make a nandroid backup to be safe. It also has a built in file manager and you can use it to copy the picture folder from internal to external sd card.

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
What firmware version did you try to flash? If it was ever updated to 4.3 you can only ever flash the same or newer firmware again. So if it had been updated to NC2 before, you can only flash NC2 firmware. (Latest version). If this doesn't apply, you might want to try reinstalling drivers. Also, only use Odin v3.07 or 3.09.

You can try to odin flash twrp recovery though, then make a nandroid backup to be safe. It also has a built in file manager and you can use it to copy the picture folder from internal to external sd card.

I downloaded the latest 4.3 and tried to flash that but didnt work im not sure what the phone had before and can i flash the twrp recovery if the phone wasnt rooted?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Yes, you can flash a custom recovery without root. Its actually the original root method if I'm not mistaken. (Flash recovery, then from that recovery flash the SuperSU update zip. )

Since youre using the latest firmware, we know that's not the cause at least.

Few other things that are known to cause Odin to fail...

Make sure you are using the correct firmware for the device. (Make sure if its a T999, T999L, T999N, T999V and use the corresponding firmware)
If kies is on your computer, uninstall it
Try different usb cables, yes they quite often do go bad.
Try every usb port on your computer. I've seen more than a few people find it only worked on one usb port! No idea why...
Try different driver versions. Make sure you uninstall through device manager. Drivers are in my sig.
If all else fails, try a different computer if possible.

If I think of anything else ill add it.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Yup, everything Doc said.. Double check firmware or Odin may be a little picky

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
I tried what you guys said and none of it worked and then i tried to install a recovery through odin and that worked. Through recovery I tried to install a zip firmware that i got from another firmware and now the phone does not start at all no boot screen no download mode no nothing. Is it fully gone now?

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
I tried what you guys said and none of it worked and then i tried to install a recovery through odin and that worked. Through recovery I tried to install a zip firmware that i got from another firmware and now the phone does not start at all no boot screen no download mode no nothing. Is it fully gone now?

Firmware or ROM? And what zip is this you're talking about? Can you get into recovery? If not then you might have bricked it

lmendoza23

Jul 7, 2011
Last edited:

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
That thread is pretty old and I think that was for LJA, if the phone was updated to 4.3 and you tried that it makes sense that it would brick.. Does it give you message in the connected devices?