What does the "Wiper App" do?

Search This thread

VuDuCuRSe

Dec 11, 2010
Hello.

Recently I've been noticing my U8800 being really slow even on simple tasks like, opening the Messenging or Gtalk app, using Swiftkey and other trivial tasks and I've been paying more attention to the free RAM the Aurora 4.1.

While taking a closer look to the running apps I found the "Wipper App" com.qualcomm.wiper. Well the name sounds suggestive and the qualcomm in the package name makes it sound important but being curious I tried to find what the app really does but google didn't help much.
Turns out it shows a lot xda posts with BatteryStats and similar apps dumps, a bunch of chinese sites and a few "download insert_seach_string here" spam sites.

So... does anyone know what it really does? Is it some sort of task/memory manager from qualcomm?

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
Hello.

Recently I've been noticing my U8800 being really slow even on simple tasks like, opening the Messenging or Gtalk app, using Swiftkey and other trivial tasks and I've been paying more attention to the free RAM the Aurora 4.1.

While taking a closer look to the running apps I found the "Wipper App" com.qualcomm.wiper. Well the name sounds suggestive and the qualcomm in the package name makes it sound important but being curious I tried to find what the app really does but google didn't help much.
Turns out it shows a lot xda posts with BatteryStats and similar apps dumps, a bunch of chinese sites and a few "download insert_seach_string here" spam sites.

So... does anyone know what it really does? Is it some sort of task/memory manager from qualcomm?

You can safely delete it (I always do), and you're correct, it's somewhat of an automatic task killer. Since android 2.3 it's even discouraged to use task killers, the system does it automatically.

VuDuCuRSe

Dec 11, 2010
You can safely delete it (I always do), and you're correct, it's somewhat of an automatic task killer. Since android 2.3 it's even discouraged to use task killers, the system does it automatically.

Well, but it comes on the default Aurora install which is built from the AOSP, seems weird to have superfluous stuff even when dzo and everyone else clearly showed concerns about RAM issues.

I've uninstalled some less important apps, rebooted and the Wiper is no longer taking some RAM, still I bet it'll show up sooner or later.
Now I have >90MB free and the phone is clearly more fluid. It's been a while since I used a 2.x ROM but using this phone on Aurora with the free RAM below 70MB is pure masochism!
Too bad this phone doesn't come with 768MB or 1GB of RAM... I'm already used to charging everyday so the battery isn't a big issue... but lag and stuttering really makes me throw the phone out the window.

Oct 9, 2017
I have a hacker destruction on my life. Has completely driven me crazy and drove my friends and loved ones away. Anybody out there that can help please don't want litigation just payback or finished