FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Returning Atrix to Best Buy?

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By dhf9*&Dh884jdk, Guest on 4th November 2011, 05:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a $10 a month protection plan on my Atrix through best buy with no deductible that covers accidental damage including water damage and cracked screens.

I have a couple of major issues with my phone and I'm considering taking it back. When I first got my phone I started noticing dust or dirt was getting inside of the front facing camera when it should be sealed. Also I was getting touch screen issues where the screen would press in the same spot rapidly by it's self and I'd have to turn off the screen to fix it, probably due to a corrupt PDS and I didn't know about backing it up when I first got my phone. Then a few weeks ago I dropped my phone on accident and the screen cracked and my back cover got scratched up.

I don't want to get the same phone back; because I have so many problems with it they likely won't fix it or they'll notice my device is unlocked and void my warranty. I was thinking about getting it fixed and flashing the stock SBF, will they be able to tell if I flashed the stock 4.5.91 SBF?

What do you recommend I do? I'll be getting a case and screen protector for sure when I get the phone fixed or replaced. Also would it be possible to return it and upgrade to the Galaxy S II or Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime on a 2-year contact without paying too much?

Thanks!

4th November 2011, 05:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
LOL. I did the same **** with my captivate. I rooted it then got sick of it so I bricked it and turned it on in the water to make sure that it fried up! LOL. That's how I got my atrix. Whatever the difference of the retail price is that's the difference in what you would pay. So maybe $50.00 + tax is all you would pay for sgs 2. Make sure you tell best buy you want another model when they junk out your atrix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App
4th November 2011, 05:25 AM |#3  
Southern California
Thanks Meter: 90

More

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
4th November 2011, 06:15 AM |#4  
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 137

More
I also have best buy's $10 monthly warrenty. I bought a $40 broken atrix from Craigslist, brought it to BB and claimed it was mine. They took it without checking the iemi number. Half a week later, got a call from them informing me my new atrix is in. I'd say do it. Make sure you take the battery out first. They sent me a third party battery with only 1200 mah.

dhf9*&Dh884jdk
4th November 2011, 07:11 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evostevo1

LOL. I did the same **** with my captivate. I rooted it then got sick of it so I bricked it and turned it on in the water to make sure that it fried up! LOL. That's how I got my atrix. Whatever the difference of the retail price is that's the difference in what you would pay. So maybe $50.00 + tax is all you would pay for sgs 2. Make sure you tell best buy you want another model when they junk out your atrix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

Did Best Buy give you a new phone or a refurbished one and did they hassle you at all about it? Also is the difference in price between the price you paid or the current retail price cause I got my Atrix for free and if I have to pay $200 for the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out then it's not worth it. Right now they have the Atrix 2 for $50, the Galaxy S II for $200 and the Galaxy Nexus will probably be $200 like all new high end smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifalldownalot

Yeah, I'm pretty bad at taking care of things, I break things all the time unfortunately. Going to start using a case and screen protector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deggy

I also have best buy's $10 monthly warrenty. I bought a $40 broken atrix from Craigslist, brought it to BB and claimed it was mine. They took it without checking the iemi number. Half a week later, got a call from them informing me my new atrix is in. I'd say do it. Make sure you take the battery out first. They sent me a third party battery with only 1200 mah.

Did Best Buy give you a new phone or a refurbished one and did they hassle you at all about it or charge you anything?

How can I fry it so they give me a new one instead of trying to fix my current one and have a good excuse for not having the battery? I was going to drop it in water "accidently" but I don't want to go and explain why I don't have the battery and make it obvious I'm just trying to get a new phone. MOD EDIT: This is considered insurance fraud. It is illegal. Please do not advocate it or talk about it on XDA.

Also for those of you who look down on me for trying to screw Best Buy into giving me new phone, I'm paying $10 a month for a protection plan and I've given them thousands of dollars in phones, tvs, games, ect. so I don't view it as that bad but we all have different morals.
4th November 2011, 02:23 PM |#6  
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 137

More
They sent me a brand new phone. Its still new in box on my desk as we speak. Just make up any BS story. Make sure its some male high school or college kid age. I find that they don't care and/or cool people.

As for the battery, just say "no offense. My friend has best buy warranty as well. They kept his OEM battery and got sent a third party one instead. I would like that not to happen to me." Or some **** like. At least that part would be honest.

No hassle. No charges or deductibles.

4th November 2011, 06:46 PM |#7  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 225

More
insurance fraud? this thread needs to be closed.
4th November 2011, 09:30 PM |#8  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLo GSR

How is it insurance fraud? The BBY Black Tie plan is in no way any sort of insurance. It's a paid service offered by the company, nothing more.

It's the company's plan policy to accept the phone regardless of damage and if it cannot be repaired under the cost of replacing the phone then they repair it, otherwise it's replaced. Technically speaking, they shouldn't care as long as you've been paying for the plan. I've had it and dropped it in a toilet, subsequently frying the phone, told them that and they replaced it with a working refurb (after sending it off and their repair shop saying it the damage was irreparable). I've taken a phone in with "short battery life" and they've sent me a brand new one since they were out of refurbs.

Edit: Quite simply, it's the best phone replacement plan around... and it has no deductibles. I'd rather pay BBY $10 a month and guarantee that I got my phone replaced at no extra charge than pay AT&T $7 a month or whatever it is and still have to pay a deductible.
6th November 2011, 01:37 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dLo GSR

How is it insurance fraud? The BBY Black Tie plan is in no way any sort of insurance. It's a paid service offered by the company, nothing more.

It's the company's plan policy to accept the phone regardless of damage and if it cannot be repaired under the cost of replacing the phone then they repair it, otherwise it's replaced. Technically speaking, they shouldn't care as long as you've been paying for the plan. I've had it and dropped it in a toilet, subsequently frying the phone, told them that and they replaced it with a working refurb (after sending it off and their repair shop saying it the damage was irreparable). I've taken a phone in with "short battery life" and they've sent me a brand new one since they were out of refurbs.

Edit: Quite simply, it's the best phone replacement plan around... and it has no deductibles. I'd rather pay BBY $10 a month and guarantee that I got my phone replaced at no extra charge than pay AT&T $7 a month or whatever it is and still have to pay a deductible.

Waiting for 3 weeks to be told your smartphone isn't repairable, while they give u a flip phone and take off your data plans, that they can never set up correctly again...... I tried it 1 time. Ill take the deductible and 2 day turn around on phone replacement any day. BB black tie was a waste of my time and an insult.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
6th November 2011, 06:10 AM |#10  
Flag Boca Raton
Thanks Meter: 8

Donate to Me
More
Black tie is the best! They don't technically have refurbished phone. Its more like refreshed so their not giving you a toilet phone. Plus it doest matter if your phone is rooted unlocked bl or whatever. Plans still covers it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
dhf9*&Dh884jdk
6th November 2011, 06:42 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieman91

Black tie is the best! They don't technically have refurbished phone. Its more like refreshed so their not giving you a toilet phone. Plus it doest matter if your phone is rooted unlocked bl or whatever. Plans still covers it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice!

From what I hear their plan allows you to upgrade your phone if it's broken and just pay the difference in price. The Atrix 2 for $50 looks nice but like the Atrix it'll probably be months before the bootloader is unlocked and developers really start working on it. The Galaxy Nexus would be perfect it it wasn'ti so big and the Galaxy S II is really nice but it's too expensive. The Captivate Glide looks nice and is supposed to come out sometime this year, I'm going to wait a bit.

Btw kenn, I don't see this as insurance fraud, my phone is already messed up, I just want to get a new one instead of having mine "fixed" and keep my current battery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)