[HOWTO] Enable Gen9 SDE menu

Search This thread

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Just did it last night *after* upgrading to 3.2.78

Thanks for the confirmation.

On my side, I did upgrade stock to 3.2.78 and I confirm that SDE build is preserved. I also confirm that removing "'android kernel" in sde menu let the tablet boot straight to sde without needing volume-up and menu.

You must launch the script from your mac, not from the device.

If adb is in path, I presume you should run the .sh from shell/console (don't know the exact name on mac). If you can't run it after unzip, try chmod 755 enable_sde.sh first.

I don't have mac so I can't help much more, sorry...

changing permissions of the script worked! , I had to re-flash the firmware to enable SDE boot but now it freezes when booting into SDE

letama,

I am on the latest firmware (3.2.78) and am about to enable SDE.

I noticed in your SDE package that you flash zimage and initrd.cpio.lzma which I presume are from an earlier firmware level. Is there any reason to replace these file from this SDE package with the ones from the 3.2.78 firmware?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, although I do cook ROMs (mainly for tegra devices) this is the 1st Archos device I have so am learning.

Thanks! FredT

letama

Feb 13, 2008
I am on the latest firmware (3.2.78) and am about to enable SDE.

I noticed in your SDE package that you flash zimage and initrd.cpio.lzma which I presume are from an earlier firmware level. Is there any reason to replace these file from this SDE package with the ones from the 3.2.78 firmware?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, although I do cook ROMs (mainly for tegra devices) this is the 1st Archos device I have so am learning.

Thanks! FredT

Well, this not a dumb question :)

In fact, it doesn't matter. This is effectively an old one, with unpatched initrd. Its purpose is only to enable the menu, and it will enable it with your 3.2.78 firmware.

However, if you take the initrd and zImage from my 3.2.78 patched build, it will work too, and it will save you the need to flash it afterwards.

So it's up to you, either will work

Reactions: trevd

basd82

Dec 30, 2011
Thanks voor sde install,

I made compleet pakkage including with batch file to adb root using Paul O'Brien scripts. in one file

Some note's

* make sure adb is installed and in its included in the system path.
* all credits go to Paul O'Brien

Reactions: Henkdrenth

peppippank

Feb 26, 2010
Hello!
I have rooted my Archos G9, to enable the ad hoc WiFi support. For different tablet with Android 3.2 is there a patch for the wpa_supplicant file. My question is does it for the Archos G9 an adapted Pach. Or i can simply use one for an Android 3.2 Tablet. Or anyone knows a way to enable the adhoc WiFi support.
Thank you and best regards Peppi

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Since recovery/SDE is done using init.rc and couple other .sh files- is it possible to add wiping dalvik-cache (rm -r -f /data/dalvik-cache)?
As it turnes out this would be quite usefull- after trying the first custom firmware I had to "reset Android" (wipe data and settings) which most likely shouldn't be necessary after wiping dalvik-cache

Your idea would be to add "wipe dalvik-cache" to recovery menus ?

It's possible to modify recovery, but I strongly discourage it. I won't release the tools that could do that, a mistake there and your tablet is paperweight.

However, if your idea is to add a pre-boot menu in the build initrd, yes, it can be done. But this is not really sde-related, it's more build-related. You should ask surdu_petru if he would be interested to add this to his build ?

Maybe we should define a "standard" way of doing this between build cookers ? Or a "standard" initrd ? My initial goal was to port ClockworkMod and have it done from there, but it makes sense only if you repartition the whole device which is a bit dangerous.

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)
Your idea would be to add "wipe dalvik-cache" to recovery menus ?

It's possible to modify recovery, but I strongly discourage it. I won't release the tools that could do that, a mistake there and your tablet is paperweight.

However, if your idea is to add a pre-boot menu in the build initrd, yes, it can be done. But this is not really sde-related, it's more build-related. You should ask surdu_petru if he would be interested to add this to his build ?
I understand, good point

Maybe we should define a "standard" way of doing this between build cookers ? Or a "standard" initrd ? My initial goal was to port ClockworkMod and have it done from there, but it makes sense only if you repartition the whole device which is a bit dangerous.
Well, G9 is not "HTC/Google standard".
"Standard" way of applying updates uses a)wipe command in update script (reformats /data and removes /sdcard/.android_secure) in case of totally different rom or b)requires user to wipe dalvik-cache using recovery in case of an update.
In G9 only "wipe data" option is available as Reset Android and I don't know if it can be triggered with official update or by issuing a command over adb.
Wipe dalvik-cache could save a lot of time

EDIT:
If there would be working adb in SDE menu there should be no problem to run a custom script from pc

Last edited:

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Well, G9 is not "HTC/Google standard".
"Standard" way of applying updates uses a)wipe command in update script (reformats /data and removes /sdcard/.android_secure) in case of totally different rom or b)requires user to wipe dalvik-cache using recovery in case of an update.
In G9 only "wipe data" option is available as Reset Android and I don't know if it can be triggered with official update or by issuing a command over adb.
Wipe dalvik-cache could save a lot of time

EDIT:
If there would be working adb in SDE menu there should be no problem to run a custom script from pc

Yes, that's why I used the quotes for "standard", meaning only establishing common conventions between rom cookers. Unfortunately, Archos recovery is purely scripts on top of kernel boot, no android init, no adb, the only location where we have room for that is in sde initrd before booting android.

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)
Yes, that's why I used the quotes for "standard", meaning only establishing common conventions between rom cookers. Unfortunately, Archos recovery is purely scripts on top of kernel boot, no android init, no adb, the only location where we have room for that is in sde initrd before booting android.

I've just read in custom firmware thread that your initrd manages .update files. Finding an .update file could also trigger dalvik-cache wipe -no confirmation from user since it won't hurt anwyay (only boot takes longer)

EDIT:
side effect of enabling adb for G9- my Desire is not recognized as adb device anymore. I've reinstalled drivers, cleaned system, restored checkpoint and nothing...

Last edited:

velow

Oct 10, 2009
Not working for me with 80 G9 updated before to 3.2.79, get stucked trying to start in SDE mode, had to reupdate original firmware with .AOS file from archos´ web (v3.2.79 too). Has anyone AOS file 3.2.78 which is supposed to work? thnx!!!

rex_4321

Sep 27, 2007
SDE menu enable attempt with ICS leaves device in cyclic boot mode

Hi All.
I followed the relevent guides published here and attempted to enable the SDE menu on my G9 101 HDD model after I had upgraded with the official ICS update.

Last lines of the command prompt after running gen9_enable_sde script were...

Generating KD...
Updating KD (3053305 bytes)...

I am unable to boot the device into recovery mode, the archos startup screen appears then shuts down abrubtly.
I am unable to boot normally, it just keeps going into a boot cycle.
While connected to my PC, the device is briefly recognised.
Is there anything else I can do to recover ?

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hi All.
I followed the relevent guides published here and attempted to enable the SDE menu on my G9 101 HDD model after I had upgraded with the official ICS update.

Last lines of the command prompt after running gen9_enable_sde script were...

Generating KD...
Updating KD (3053305 bytes)...

I am unable to boot the device into recovery mode, the archos startup screen appears then shuts down abrubtly.
I am unable to boot normally, it just keeps going into a boot cycle.
While connected to my PC, the device is briefly recognised.
Is there anything else I can do to recover ?

Hi!

Trying to hold down Power for 10 seconds until the green light goes out !
Now presss Power and volume down at the same timp , normally you will go into recovery menu and flash again original .aos Archos ICS file into Update Firmware ....It should be work .....
-- and be sure after run commands enable_sde , run this command
> adb shell
># rm /data/local.prop
># exit
> adb reboot

I hope this help you ! Good luck! :rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All, found that SDE menu is already in our firmware. It can be enabled very easily and it's quite safe. A big Thanks! to Calj and Tchoubidou for beta-testing it for me!

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you blow your device with this, I'm only using existing Archos commands but this is not an official Archos release. Use at your own risks.

Here is the method:
    1) Root your device with Paul's root here. I didn't test it without root, but I'm 99% sure it won't work without root.
    2) Unzip the content of the attached zip file to a directory
    3) Launch the script enable_sde
    4) Remove Paul's root with:

Code:
    adb shell rm /data/local.prop

You shouldn't keep Paul's root on your tablet, it messes sound and device sleep.

Reboot into recovery mode, you should have the SDE menu now, you can flash your own kernel+initrd the same way it was done on previous generation.

One trick: the initramfs should be still named initramfs.cpio.gz, but it should be compressed with lzma with current kernel.

*FAQ*

Q: How can I boot straight to SDE instead of going through the recovery boot menu ?

A: There is two ways:

- *edit* Tested and working !

In SDE menu: boot in recovery, select "recovery system" then "Developer Edition Menu", then choose "remove android kernel". You will loose the dual boot menu and the possibility to boot stock firmware (you can reflash it afterwards though, re-enabling the menu at the same time), but your tablet will boot straight to developer edition.

If someone has tested this method, please report to this thread.

*edit*: I tested it on mine finally, this method works perfectly. It will be my recommended method from now on, reboot_into is nice but I'm not sure you can still get to recovery in case of boot loop.

- Use "reboot_into -s sde" command just after booting sde. It will set a flag that will make next boot go straight to sde. You can modify initrd to do that or use an apk to launch a script at boot.
    http://www.jbmm.fr/?p=23701

this afternoon il will be use this method on not root tablet
    I have just test and it works
    sounds good, will be ordering my 80G9 Turbo soon, archos told me they will be available any day now and as soon as I get it, thanks to this I can get working on getting ubuntu running on the G9, since there now is an official Ubuntu for ARM with drivers and all for the OMAP
    Well, it should work, except if Archos fixed the exploit to get the temp root.

Just did it last night *after* upgrading to 3.2.78