Relay 4G Hardware Reference Guide

292 posts
Thanks Meter: 166

By Jax184, Senior Member on 25th March 2013, 05:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th October 2014, 09:51 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Same here.. after 7 months of use (and not much sliding!) cable damaged..

Found it here... ordering as we speak!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-Gal...item4d25a8cf18
The Following User Says Thank You to cortina1970 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cortina1970 Ad-Free

24th October 2014, 03:57 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Wow, that escalated quickly. Sold out by now.
31st October 2014, 02:04 AM |#33  

More
Well.... it was the right one... made by Samsung, not a clone re manufacture.. and worked great.
The Following User Says Thank You to cortina1970 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cortina1970 Ad-Free
2nd November 2014, 12:16 PM |#34  

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortina1970

Well.... it was the right one... made by Samsung, not a clone re manufacture.. and worked great.

Cool, I'm happy to hear this. I have one on the way and cannot wait to fix my old relay.
10th November 2014, 06:49 PM |#35  

More
Beyong the guide in OP - replacing the flex cable
Hi guys,

As I wrote before, many many thanks @Jax184 for this great guide. It helped me to disassembly the device with no fear

I mentioned before, I noticed one day, that the screen does no turn on always when I open the device. It was an issue of the flex cable. To fix this, I had to replace the cable - disassembling a bit beyond the steps described in the guide in OP.

Enjoy!

The cable arrived, fresh and shiny! Once again, thanks to @cortina1970 for posting the ebay link.

Here is the step where original guide ends.

The cable is sticked to the plastic part. You have to remove it by force, I used the sharp tool on next picture. Be careful not to break the plastic part.

The flex cable is now detached from the sliding part

To open the display part, you need to take out 4 screws around and gently open it (I managed to do it just with my nail).

Opened display part with old cable.

Take up the vynil and gently remove the flex cable from the board

Poor old cable with its replacement

Assemble in reverse order

And here's the old cable, cut from side. The symptoms were: the display part absolutely not working (display, notification led, sound, nothing at all). So I assume, it's the side where the power is.

Thanks again all who helped. I'm happy to have a backup device, as there's no better qwerty android around.

PS: high res link: http://imgur.com/a/7Ji9a
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sorgo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sorgo Ad-Free
11th November 2014, 12:26 PM |#36  

More
Glad to see it fixed yours too, to anybody else who needs one, the Ebay listing for the cable currently shows 24 in stock!
8th December 2014, 08:51 PM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
possible ribbon damage
Hi
Thanks for doing this guide and the hardware reference I too have had the phone since august and now the screen is staying off when closed, only comes on when open and i press power a couple of times.

I opened it up yesterday to have a look and there was no obvious signs that it was hardware damage but after booting in safe mode and as it happens when the phone is turning on I can only think there is a some ribbon damage. How much more sturdy did the new one seem not sure if its worth spending ~£30 or just saving for a new phone.

Quite envious of my girlfriends new archos platinum 53 now (my selection for her birthday) nice and big no need for qwerty. Also no bloated stock gui.

Also anyone have problems with the mic on this device call quality can be rather quiet? not sure if china economy post was the best idea.
30th December 2014, 12:21 PM |#38  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodude1

I opened it up yesterday to have a look and there was no obvious signs that it was hardware damage but after booting in safe mode and as it happens when the phone is turning on I can only think there is a some ribbon damage. How much more sturdy did the new one seem not sure if its worth spending ~£30 or just saving for a new phone.

My ribbon damage was not seen until I disassembled it. If the screen goes blank when opening/closing the phone, it's a hardware issue for sure. I would recommend replacing the ribbon with the one from cortinas link from ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-Gal...item4d25a8cf18 ). 100% working and you can see the guide, it was not hard at all, no need of special tools either.
21st November 2015, 06:41 PM |#39  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
What kind of tape is this??
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorgo

{sorry I forgot my old account login and just made this account, so I couldn't quote the image in my post (outside link). Should be the 6th photo of the cable taped down to the back of the display circled in red}
Take up the vynil and gently remove the flex cable from the board

Thanks to sorgo you for posting this. I have the exact same problem. display ribbon cable somehow ripped. I have already disassembled the phone and I have bought a working phone with a cracked screen on the cheap for replacement parts (in this case the ribbon cable you're replacing here). I am a little stuck on how to attach the new cable tho, specifically the end circled in sorgo's 6th photo above.

Since I am removing the cable from another phone I think the tape holding the down the connector will not be sticky enough after being removed. So my question is does anyone know what type(s) of tape are safe to use for this application, and perhaps a recommendation on where to buy some. Sorry this is prolly a n00bish question, most all of my disassembly and repair experience has been with desktops, no tiny cables to tape into place (is it just me or does this seem like a horrible way to connect a cable? Why not just have the snap on connection on both ends.....). Thanks in advance to anyone who can point the way.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)