[REQ]Long exposure photo application

Search This thread

freekquency

Mar 8, 2008
Sacramento
Funny while trying to accomplish a picture of the full moon this past week I dreamed of this exact feature. But i have to agree, without a tripod it would be a blurry mess.

The phone takes incredible close up pictures, or normal high res pictures when i set the focus to center. But without a way to steady the phone, it would be basically useless.

But i would still try it!! Hell yeah.

:)

vben

Sep 18, 2008
so till now nobody ever came across something like this???... :(...it must possible right?..I just want a small application thats able to keep the shutter open for a few second...

dwmackay

Oct 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I do not know of any application for this. However, even if you find one I am not sure you would like the results. Small very dense CMOS sensors like the ones in thee phones do not like long exposures. The sensor heats up quickly and creates tons of image noise that has to be removed in post processing. By the time you delete the noise, all the detail is gone as well. I have a $2.5K Leica that takes great pictures at normal exposures, but anything over 1/4 second is unusable to me.

If you want long digital exposures worth keeping, you really need to step up to a higher quality camera with a larger physical sensor. Oddly enough, the lower the megapixel count, the better the image will be.

Doug M.

jaszek

Dec 30, 2008
Brooklyn
jaszekphoto.com
Its a good idea but i dont think the picture would come out great. Since the phone's camera sensor is so small there would be A LOT of noise. Even on my Canon XSi with long exposures I get some noise, and the cameras sensor is about 20 times bigger than the phones.

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
I do not know of any application for this. However, even if you find one I am not sure you would like the results. Small very dense CMOS sensors like the ones in thee phones do not like long exposures. The sensor heats up quickly and creates tons of image noise that has to be removed in post processing. By the time you delete the noise, all the detail is gone as well. I have a $2.5K Leica that takes great pictures at normal exposures, but anything over 1/4 second is unusable to me.

If you want long digital exposures worth keeping, you really need to step up to a higher quality camera with a larger physical sensor. Oddly enough, the lower the megapixel count, the better the image will be.

Doug M.
And yet, my $1.8K Canon takes AMAZING long exposure shots, even up to 30 seconds.

here's one I setup in about 5 seconds a couple years ago: http://l3it3r.com/2007/bashir.jpg

dwmackay

Oct 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
And yet, my $1.8K Canon takes AMAZING long exposure shots, even up to 30 seconds.

here's one I setup in about 5 seconds a couple years ago: http://l3it3r.com/2007/bashir.jpg

Yes, my newer Nikon D700 does quite well with low-light and long exposures. I have done some 30 second exposures that just amaze me. The Leica is old by digital standards (4 years). I cannot wait to seewhat the next 4 years will bring. Maybe we can get rid of our flashes forever...

Doug M.

nerys71

May 13, 2008
long exposure is awesome. even my $400 xti takes some excellent long exposure pictures.

I want to do timelapse star photography and I need 20+ second exposure times per shot. Grrrr.