[2014.11.10][ROOT] adbd Insecure v2.00

Search This thread

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Hmmm...the bolded command wasn't recognized on my system; just outputs the help text. Granted, I was using:

Code:
adb push su -c "SystemUI.apk /system/app/"
Strange... I could have sworn that used to work and now it doesn't?
I got the error too :p
Well the workaround is...
Code:
adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/
adb shell su -c "cp -f /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/app/"
Now I gotta fix my script... lol

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Re: [2012.12.19][ROOT] adbd Insecure v1.20

Well the workaround is...
Code:
adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/
adb shell su -c "cp -f /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/app/"
Now I gotta fix my script... lol
Lol, that's not really a work around. That's exactly what this app is eliminating. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
heh.

OK but the only thing that doesn't work is the adb push command but everything else is still possible with the "adb shell su -c" prefix ie. cp, rm, mkdir, mount, etc as well as running binaries and scripts with root permissions.

So its still pretty handy to know and make use of quick n dirty if adb insecure hasn't been installed yet :)

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
No, that command does actually work, prefixed with "su". In fact, all of the things mentioned are still possible with su, inside adb shell, even without adbd insecure, on one of the devices this program is made for.

The thing is, say you want to pull something from a location thats "protected", you'd first have to shell into the device, "su", move it to a location accessable to adbd, logout of the shell, then adb pull. Push ? Same thing, other way around.

Same thing goes for a large number of commands, you can skip the entire "su" part needed on some devices.

Everything this enables is still possible on every rooted device, it just saves you quite a bit of typing (and hairpulling) for those who do not have adb running as root. If you use adb as much as I do, this is absolutely something you want.

On the other hand, if you're the occasional adb user only, you may not know what to do with this - and then this is not for you :)
It’ll be really nice if it works that way. Unfortunately it just hung on "adbd Insecure patching..." screen. And it’s simplest case possible – BlueStacks 0.7.8.829 (rooted) :confused:

Last edited:

jwoolfgbh

Nov 14, 2012
Alright I've got a problem hopefully someone can help me with. Just for background, I'm using a GSM Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 10.1 experimental build M1, on a Windows 8 PC. I have all ADB drivers installed and ADB works fine.
However, my screen broke. The phone still works fine, I just can't see what is happening or have any touch input. Using androidscreencast over USB, I would be able to control the device and configure something like VNC that would give me a higher frame rate. However, androidscreencast requires changing some permissions, which requires root access. The specific commands to be run are
HTML:
adb shell
su
chmod 777 /data/dalvik-cache
cd /data/dalvik-cache
chmod 777 ./
I sideloaded this app over ADB, but I think I need to launch it in some way to have it take effect. ADB can be used to execute activities within apps, so the most obvious solution in my mind is running the activity within adbd insecure that actually makes the changes. I just need to know what this activity is called and if it will even work.
Any input is gladly welcome.

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
@Chainfire: in the APK there are 3 versions of adbd: adbd.15.png, adbd.16.png and adbd.17.png. I suppose that each adbd is for a different version of Andoid. Could you tell which adbd binary is mapped to which Android version ?

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Reactions: bubbleguuum

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010

That makes sense, thanks for your quick answer.

I'm trying to find a workaround to this new adb issue introduced in 4.2.2, which prevents adb shell executed on device to run (and mount scripts using "adb shell mount" to work).
I'm looking for a workaround that only requires root (eg no custom kernel)

I thought that replacing adbd with insecure adbd would fix it, but it doesn't. It seems that the on-device adb binary must be replaced instead (haven't tried it yet).

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
Teensy feature request, if you're ever bored:

A USB debugging toggle within adbd insecure! :) It would just save a few seconds to get my phone "ADB-ready!".

xxScoobxx

Jan 13, 2013
adelphi
Re: [2012.12.19][ROOT] adbd Insecure v1.20

Question... does this fix "Failed to copy read-only file system" when trying to push a file on adb?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
Question... does this fix "Failed to copy read-only file system" when trying to push a file on adb?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

First post, mate. "This app lets you run adbd in "insecure" mode, which gives you root access in "adb shell", allows access to system files and directories through "adb push/pull", and lets you run the "adb remount" command to make your /system partition writable."

Run the app, type "adb remount" to mount /system -> push success. It's a toggle, the command is. So, to check what state your /system is in now, do:
Code:
adb shell
mount|grep /system

If it's ro, it's read-only; rw is read-write. Use adb remount (NOT in shell, but plain command prompt). If you want to do it in shell, the command is
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system

Switch rw for ro, depending on what state you want it in.

Reactions: xxScoobxx

xxScoobxx

Jan 13, 2013
adelphi
First post, mate. "This app lets you run adbd in "insecure" mode, which gives you root access in "adb shell", allows access to system files and directories through "adb push/pull", and lets you run the "adb remount" command to make your /system partition writable."

Run the app, type "adb remount" to mount /system -> push success. It's a toggle, the command is. So, to check what state your /system is in now, do:
Code:
adb shell
mount|grep /system

If it's ro, it's read-only; rw is read-write. Use adb remount (NOT in shell, but plain command prompt). If you want to do it in shell, the command is
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system

Switch rw for ro, depending on what state you want it in.
Thanks, will be giving this a try! I been searching everywhere and cant find a solution. Hope this works... Really appreciate your help!

Thanks it work!!!! Finally

Last edited:

Guitwo2

Jul 17, 2012
Marseille
I am experiencing trouble with this app on my motorola XT320. Somehow the app get stuck when "patching". Logcat gives nothing significant.
Anyway I found a way around to have insecure adb.

Sent from my XT320 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

drguild

Jul 4, 2012
Just replying to say used this on my new Nexus 10 after rooting with boot still locked so I didn't loose the pre-shipped stuff or my initial usage tests, game data etc and its working well with Android commander to give me full access to the file system to back stuff up etc.

CrackaBoi

Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys when I launch "adbd Insecure" it just jumps back to desktop after I grant it superuser permission (hit "Allow" twice).
Can anybody help me out? What may be wrong? Ive done a logcat (attached) but it doesn't make much sense to me..

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    adbd Insecure lets you run adbd in root mode if your device is rooted.

(Note that if you are running a custom kernel, it is likely that it already implements this functionality)

If you are running a stock (made by the phone manufacturer) kernel on your device, chances are adbd is running in "secure" mode, even if you are rooted. This app lets you run adbd in "insecure" mode, which gives you root access in "adb shell", allows access to system files and directories through "adb push/pull", and lets you run the "adb remount" command to make your /system partition writable.

Of course, your device must already be rooted for this to work. It may not work with "S-ON" devices and locked bootloaders.

This app does not make any permanent changes to your device - a reboot will undo any modification. That's why there is also the option to enable this feature at boot.

Note that if you have USB connected when the app activates or deactivates adbd root mode, you may need to unplug/replug the cable or run "adb kill-server" on your computer before adb will work again.

Download

Download from Google Play

The Google Play download is not free - it costs about a beer (thanks!). The download listed below is 100% the exact same program, but free. Please consider supporting my work :)

REDISTRIBUTION IS NOT ALLOWED
    (no posting on other sites, no cooking into your ROMs, etc)

(The download is free for now, but I reserve the right to pull it at any time)

( 1.0: 3616; 1.1: 3527; 1.2: 8582; 1.30: 35699 )
    2014.11.10 - v2.00
    - Android 5.0 compatibility

2013.05.23 - v1.30
    - SELinux fixes (SGS4)

2012.12.19 - v1.20
    - Jelly Bean (4.2.x) fixes

2012.10.01 - v1.1
    - Jelly Bean (4.1.x) fixes
    No, that command does actually work, prefixed with "su". In fact, all of the things mentioned are still possible with su, inside adb shell, even without adbd insecure, on one of the devices this program is made for.

The thing is, say you want to pull something from a location thats "protected", you'd first have to shell into the device, "su", move it to a location accessable to adbd, logout of the shell, then adb pull. Push ? Same thing, other way around.

Same thing goes for a large number of commands, you can skip the entire "su" part needed on some devices.

Everything this enables is still possible on every rooted device, it just saves you quite a bit of typing (and hairpulling) for those who do not have adb running as root. If you use adb as much as I do, this is absolutely something you want.

On the other hand, if you're the occasional adb user only, you may not know what to do with this - and then this is not for you :)
    v2.00 released with 5.0 lollipop support
    So, this basically saves us the trouble of typing 'adb remount' ?

No, it *allows* you to run 'adb remount' on rooted devices that do not allow it (which is quite a few).