Google ADK vs Arduino ADK vs Sparkfun IOIO vs ADK Shield vs ?????

Search This thread

Mynasru

May 27, 2012
hi i wonder if i can stick a bluetooth dongle on my Arduino Mega Adk and comunicate wirelessly with android..

have anyone try to do this? thanks! i have my motorola Xoom Working with Arduino Mega ADK via USB

It is possible to do this with the USB-hostshield (wich is using the same chip as the adk). I can't post links yet, so search on google for: "arduino usb host shield bluetooth" it should be the first link.

Mynasru

May 27, 2012
you could buy a $5-10 bluetooth module from dx, they work very well with the arduino.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Yes, it is possible. however what is the bluetooth reference?

I found a tutorial on cirquits@home, it also explains the bluetooth part for the usb host shield. circuitsathome > /mcu/programming/ps3-and-wiimote-game-controllers-on-the-arduino-host-shield-part-1
(replace > by .com).

er.davinder

Jun 14, 2011
Looking for GPS location
LeEco Le 2
have been trying to connect my new shinny Adk board to the phone, but i am been unsuccessful, I've tried many phone like HTC desire HD(4.06), Allwinner tablet(4.03), Galaxy ace (2.3.6)

I was wondering if i can use arduino adk with bluetooth dongle and then connect it to the phone.

Last edited:

HardUIKnow

Jun 17, 2012
Paris
Hi there,

such an interesting post that i would participate.

I had to play this year with Arduino as our new Education Program requires from students knowledge on fast prototyping solutions about information control.
So as we need to manage an Home Automation controlled by an android device like a tablet or a phone, we looked to a way to achieve this.

We got 2 problems we had to face :
1) Lack of Programming language due to the old education program
2) We need to control the arduino on the fly (aka no need to plug to the device)

I finally choose to go with a Uno or a Mega (if you need much pin) with a bluetooth shield to get it work the easiest way that my students can learn it.
You can control it the android way by using SL4A (Scripting Layer For Android using python) + easy HTML coding page if you don't have the knowledge of Java.

We also choose this way with the goal that we don't need a device plug to the board to control it.

Does anyone had a better solution or had experience to get rid of thoses constrains ?

ps: Please forgive me if i'm not very clear, i'm french and suffer from French people not very used with Shakespeare-speaking :)

Quiggers

Jun 21, 2012
Limerick
As for the complaint about different IDE / languages,

thb, arduino programming is a breeze compared to Java,
the most likely issues are going to be electronic, things like debouncing buttons, current sinking as opposed to sourcing, motor driver chips, interfacing 5v logic and 3.3v logic devices.

A class mate of mine just built a ball maze controller by servo's from an ioio (YoYo) and newer versions of this board have 2 usb ports and can act as a host, it's tidy in the way that everything is in Java but is you can do java then you can do c or wiring etc, its just like putting on a different accent and pretending you're a dame from the deep south

mpkasp

Jun 25, 2012
Adk & msp430

I've been doing a lot of searching and I can't find anyone attempting to use the ADK with a generic uC like an MSP430.

Is it possible to communicate to an android application using the ADK and an MSP430 launchpad--maybe using a micro usb to mini usb (of course powering the bus)?

It doesn't seem as though there is any low level hardware documentation on the communication protocol--whether its UART/TTL or something else that I could even bit-bang. I've read this may be possible using CDC drivers--but was hoping to utilize the new ADK libraries on the android end.

Mynasru

May 27, 2012
I've been doing a lot of searching and I can't find anyone attempting to use the ADK with a generic uC like an MSP430.

you can try to implement soft-usb (like what they did with the avr-series), but I doubt if it is possible to do with the msp430. It is just easier to take a cheap bluetooth-serial module and connect it with your microcontroller. Plus you need less (difficult) code and the android side is easier to program (just bluetooth communication).

you could also use a ft232 like chip to handle the usb stuff.

Reactions: mpkasp

pk2

May 2, 2009
O.C. ca
Been studying this for half the day looking for a b-day present for my 8 yr. old and keep myself challenged This answers a big one namely, how to make it talk to an android.

- Sounds like an Arduino meg2560 with a cheap BT would do (no). How bout a mega 1280?

- How about with a mega328 (uno R3) with a cheap bt sheild?

For a wired usb system, an IOIO sounds best;

-Same question about boards (mega 328, 1280, 2560, or?)?

-Will using this keep me from doing the usual stuff (turning on lights, motors, etc.) ?

Lastly, it seems at best this finally opens up the android USB port to the outside world. Any way to use the Arduino to make an android look like a Ipod to my car stereo? If so, witch board (+ sheilds) would do?

Regards, PK

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Been studying this for half the day looking for a b-day present for my 8 yr. old and keep myself challenged This answers a big one namely, how to make it talk to an android.

- Sounds like an Arduino meg2560 with a cheap BT would do (no). How bout a mega 1280?

- How about with a mega328 (uno R3) with a cheap bt sheild?

For a wired usb system, an IOIO sounds best;

-Same question about boards (mega 328, 1280, 2560, or?)?

-Will using this keep me from doing the usual stuff (turning on lights, motors, etc.) ?

Lastly, it seems at best this finally opens up the android USB port to the outside world. Any way to use the Arduino to make an android look like a Ipod to my car stereo? If so, witch board (+ sheilds) would do?

Regards, PK

Look up other arduino-android projects and see what they use. or use the ADK or IOIO. I know bluetooth is possible but I don't know how well it works. I know the ADK2 uses it.

pk2

May 2, 2009
O.C. ca
Thanks for the reply. I'm not that crazty about BT either, seems slow & unreliable at best. About another hour of digging after finding this thread, I found this link, which lead to others more evolved. Basically its a name-brand Arduino/ USB/ADK setup for under $50 (E bay Chinese stuff cheaper if you have the time + don't mind quality issues).

It takes a $25 USB shield from one "Geoff" (technicals here) or a Sparkfun variant and a mere, lowely Uno.

The IOIO is $50 plus a $20 Uno (?, or a $40+ mega2560 if required). The eBay Chinese "ADK" USB host cards (IOIO clones ?) are $25 plus required a $40+ mega1280-2560 (Arduino) to work. $80 for a "megaADK" Arduino board.

Don't know much about Arduino programming, here my skills are limited (1 reason for this project) so I didn't quite understand all the early discourse here. It did seemed though that the Google (inspired) ADK setups were most difficult to make do anything(two languages?). Would this cheap little Geoff/Sparkfun with any old arduino, accomplish most of the same as the rest ? with easier programming?

Regards, PK

I think I will pose this basic question elsewhere but this where the complexities of the Google adk stuff came up.

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
The ioio requires a device to be connected and all programming is done on the android side.

The ADK can perform autonomous tasks and work with android as well.

IMO, you get more with the ADK style than the IOIO style. ADK will always use Arduino IDE to program the Arduino. Both methods use Java to program the Android. Arduino is easy to learn.

pk2

May 2, 2009
O.C. ca
Great, thanks, that's settled.

PK

Did I say it was ultimately to be part of a car PC thing??

pk2

May 2, 2009
O.C. ca
Just of curiosity, can't help muddy up yth issue, whats your take on SMT32 ARM m3 Aurduino compatible boards? They not only have built on USB but some have all sorts of stuff like CAN, micro sd, etc. Some are really cheap to (like this). Seems like an ARM talking to an ARM would be sort of natural.

Regards, PK

NiHaoMike

May 6, 2012
Austin, TX
There's a "Kelly Wu" platform that can be built using little more than a PIC24FJ64GB002. You'll need a Pickit to program it, though.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm the developer of IOIO, so I won't pretend to be objective :)
    First, there's no such thing as "Google IOIO". Google's board is called ADK. Although the original board cost $400, there have been since many other compatible boards, with the cheapest ones costing about $80 I believe.
    There's also IOIO, which I developed and is sold by SparkFun for about $50.

The two most significant differences between the two are:
    1. ADK and its clones would only work on very specific Android devices, while IOIO would work on almost any Android device since Android 1.5.
    2. With ADK you'd have to write both the Android-side (Java) and the Arduino-side (C++) software, and establish a communication protocol between them. You'd have to know both languages and two different IDEs and unless you're doing something very trivial, it will take a significant amount of time to get something working reliably. With IOIO, you just write the Android side. You include a library called IOIOLib in your application, which provides an API that lets you control the IOIO pins and functions as if they were physically connected to your Android. You don't need to care about the fact that there's a separate processor here, communication protocols, etc.

Some possibly less important differences:
    • ADK boards are compatible with Arduino shields. If you want to use one in your application, IOIO will not be a good choice.
    • If you stick a Bluetooth dongle into IOIO instead of a USB cable to the Android, it will communicate wirelessly with the Android. The nice thing is that your application doesn't need to care about it, and you can even switch back and forth while your app is running.

If you want more info, see my blog post. Since I can't seem to be allowed to post links, just Google "IOIO over OpenAcessory" (without quotes).
    Alright, so I'm kinda up in the air. The ADK is very interesting to me and from my understanding it is total mobile device side processing with the Arduino/ADK/IOIO acting as a slave. I'd like to play with this feature which was introduced at Google IO and first included in Android 2.3.4 but I don't know where to start.

So, let me explain what I'd like.. I'd like to build a robot powered by my phone. I want to plug in my phone and drive it around the house. I can work out most of the details on this project myself, however, I'd like to get the most bang-for-buck as possible. I don't want this to be a strictly ADK or IOIO device. I'd like to be able to repurpose it later.

The Open Hardware Acessory Development Kit
    Aka Google ADK or Google's IOIO (Pronounced Yo-Yo). At a cost of $400, i imediately said screw that.. I'm not paying $400 for what is practically a finished project and not really a development board. No way, no how... I'm looking for the same functionality without paying the same amount as a new Android device.
    hardwaresoftware.jpg

I am looking at 3 different devices. The Sparkfun IOIO, The Google ADK or the ADK Shield for Arduino. I already own an Arduino Mega 1280 so I'm up in the air as to upgrade with a shield or go with a dedicated device.

The IOIO from Sparkfun
    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748
    This IOIO seems to be the cheapest, full device available. Costing only $50. It would seem that it is strictly designed to plug in to USB-OTG on a device and there is no USB for the computer meaning it can only be used as a slave device?
    10585-01b_i_ma.jpg

The Arduino ADK
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Arduino+adk&hl=en
    This device is based on the Arduino Mega 2650 platform. This would be an upgrade from my current MEGA 1280. Costing $75, it seems to be a fairly decent development board with the additional benefeit of ADK/ioio functionality.
    ygnIJPCAxhuqG35km8aeECYfv9C28a-7MXvPPlt7Qf9oMJsprGmeFC_4ToieFP3If7ghMscSqluRi5x-vaR7YXO4h3ip0Gc4ID0inrgQUZDHWvm7XKX5tiEThQ6Nu_K09OCdsZYCI90AD72jHUH04BtzVty7mcOHQni53Ru3HYW5hAPdQ4jaNMuPytQGJpAiiQ

USB Host Shield for Arduinohttp://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/1859/currency/USD
    The USB Host Shield for Arduino seems to be a pretty good bet. At only $32, it will add the proper USB interface to an Arduino and allow ADK functionality. I'm worried about incompatibility on this Arduino Shield as I only have an Arduino Mega 1280 and not the faster 2650 platform.
    DFR0138_01.jpg

I want to make a good choice here.. I'd like some help. I've never worked with ADK/ioio. AT&T has not even officially upgraded my device to 2.3.4 yet.

So, here's my questions:

1. Will the ADK work properly with a 1280 and a shield?
    2. My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, the ADK uses server and client side processing and is more for communication between the two devices, while the ioio method is direct slave-only control of the device?
    3. Is there any advantage to buying the official Google ADK other than receiving a pre-fabricated shield with lights and buzzers?
    4. Which one would you go with and why? Do you know of any better options for interfacing Android?
    I just picked up a Arduino ADK. Spent a few hours messing around with a RGB LED. My Motorola Photon would never connect due to the 2.6.32 Kernel. The 2.3.4 was right but the Kernel needs to be 2.6.35 to be an accessory.
    Great board just not for the Photon. Will be getting the UNO and a WI-FI shield. And pick up a handfull of RGB LED Matrix, for a wifi driven LED message board.

You won't need an Arduino UNO. The MEGA form factor is compatible with the smaller UNO form factor and the pins are totally compatible. Just get the wifi shield. My understanding is that the Uno would only be a reduction in size and features.
    I returned the ADK. And will be getting an UNO or MEGA. If it comes down to size I'll get a nano with a shield.

Why did you return it? The ADK does more than Uno right? As far as I understand, you just downgraded?

you can try to implement soft-usb (like what they did with the avr-series), but I doubt if it is possible to do with the msp430. It is just easier to take a cheap bluetooth-serial module and connect it with your microcontroller. Plus you need less (difficult) code and the android side is easier to program (just bluetooth communication).

you could also use a ft232 like chip to handle the usb stuff.