TWRP install

Search This thread

n1tro

Aug 14, 2007
Copying instructions that were in the miscellaneous thread while we were waiting for a proper sub forum. Keep in mind that the program to get TWRP onto the phone is in Chinese and will trigger an antivirus warning. Also TWRP will be in Chinese so users have to press the button on the right in the 1st screen to enable English.

TWRP is working for Nubia Z20 Chinease, Europe and American version

Download TWRP from this link

[Mod Edit] Download link removed due to GPL incompliance

Installing TWRP steps:
1. Enable usb debugging in nubia z20
2. Connect your mobile to the computer
3. Disable Anti-virus on your computer
4. Copy paste TWRP application to C:/adb
5. Click the only button on the TWRP interface
6. On the next screen, click the only button (fastboot twrp) on the screen
7. mobile will reboot to bootloader
8. reboot to recovery
9. if you have security code, input your security pin.
10. change language by clicking right side button
11. In twrp, you can flash global rom and magisk for root

For Rooting Nubia (all version)
1. Install TWRP from the above link
2. From TWRP, you can install magisk manager (latest) and reboot to system.
3. From Magisk application, download riru modules (core & hook) install and reboot.
4. Insatll Edxposed for xposed modules

Custom modules working for Nubia:
1. Gravity Box (working only for global roms)
2. Face unlock (Magisk module)
3. Instant Face unlock (Xposed module)
4. Pixelify (Magisk module0
5. Force touch enabler (Xposed module)
6. Xposed edge (Xposed module)
7. AR core patcher (Magisk module)
8. Google cam (Gcam shared earliet posts with attached xml scripts)
9. Youtube vanced
10. Whatsapp emojis
11. L Tweaks

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheako

Dec 20, 2016
Switch to windows? Seriously...at least for a short time. I'm a Linux user myself but always have a Windows machine handy for flashing
Thanks! I haven't used Windows since the late 90s and every time I try what you're suggesting I have a horrible time. It's not worth any amount of effort to have Windows for running this one application that does something ultimately resulting in Malware. That is to say running this program is analogous to running an application that, I not only don't have the source too, but indeed can't even explain what it does. That's the vary definition of malicious software, running software that has no explainable purpose.

RomanLeFrais

Aug 12, 2019
It piss me off why every nubia TWRP is a .exe can you just install it yourself and make a backup of your recovery partition and send us the img ?

its here ***

Cheako

Dec 20, 2016
GPL Violation.

This program is obviously linked with a compiled image of TWRP, witch is GPL. The exe is encrypted, a form of UPX. Regardless it's against copyright to distribute without source.

Cheako

Dec 20, 2016
It piss me off why every nubia TWRP is a .exe can you just install it yourself and make a backup of your recovery partition and send us the img ?

its here ***

Looks like a boot image, but triggers the same error on my device. From another thread we are discussing the differences of V1.x(NON-EU) and phones from the EU that are V2.x. The images I've found and have been using are V2.x and the phone is from US Amazon, not that you can't purchase EU phones from there. It's unknown what version my phone is.

I've been pointing out everywhere the GPL violations and that also applies here.

RomanLeFrais

Aug 12, 2019
Tell me if I'm wrong but the only difference beteween eu and non-eu are the radio frequency and maybe some minor adjustement that don't affect the way TWRP work, and the only difference between 1.x and 2.x are the system update it also don't affect the way TWRP need to be compiled except for the included magisk install ect in the advanced tabs that Scarlet-glass added
If you want to have your own clean version you can always compile TWRP yourself to not deal with a GPL issue (Isn't it the GNU Free software license ?) Scarlet-glass released the device tree
UPX is a compression algorithm lol, to check if its obfuscated run Detect-it-Easy on it, I did and its not obfuscated take a look at my binwalk output
https://pastebin.com/7Ut6E5Zz
The executable maybe came from the person that make the "Global" ROM for all the aliexpress seller by removing the chinese app and installing google, they left their "weibo VIP channel" in /etc on the system part but I don't know how to join.
So anyway I doubt they copyrighted their TWRP image and its normal that the recovery image appear as a boot image because it is one lol

Cheako

Dec 20, 2016
Apparently this device is not the same for EU users as America or China, that is to say one model for EU and another model for NON-EU(presumably China, India, Japan, Canada, US, ect). I was using V2.x(EU) files, but my phone is V1.x(NON-EU). The major version numbers are more like part of the model number than like a version indicator. Here is the full dump where I got the boot and recovery images, it's 2.2GB compressed
https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/835328/NX627J_NubiaEmergencyDownload_V103.7z
I'll try and post just the boot/recovery images here: https://mikemestnik.net/archives/

Code:
SHA256 (NX627J_NubiaEmergencyDownload_V103.7z) = bd412eeab191c001a4ee5b11bda8a2ec7273257ccd2e1d024e60e8c6a1bd174b
SHA256 (NX627J-stock-1_03.7z) = f53a120dc7e8029bf2bb0fb7a462d027376d63bb39e4b7f2ae2f55ae2bcba9ae

Last edited:

Cheako

Dec 20, 2016
Tell me if I'm wrong but the only difference beteween eu and non-eu are the radio frequency and maybe some minor adjustement that don't affect the way TWRP work, and the only difference between 1.x and 2.x are the system update it also don't affect the way TWRP need to be compiled except for the included magisk install ect in the advanced tabs that Scarlet-glass added
If you want to have your own clean version you can always compile TWRP yourself to not deal with a GPL issue (Isn't it the GNU Free software license ?) Scarlet-glass released the device tree
UPX is a compression algorithm lol, to check if its obfuscated run Detect-it-Easy on it, I did and its not obfuscated take a look at my binwalk output
https://pastebin.com/7Ut6E5Zz
The executable maybe came from the person that make the "Global" ROM for all the aliexpress seller by removing the chinese app and installing google, they left their "weibo VIP channel" in /etc on the system part but I don't know how to join.
So anyway I doubt they copyrighted their TWRP image and its normal that the recovery image appear as a boot image because it is one lol

The file you are talking about and the one that is currently posted are nothing alike.
Code:
cheako@nysa:~/Downloads$ binwalk nubia\ Z20-for\ Android\ P-TWRP-3.3.1.exe 

DECIMAL       HEXADECIMAL     DESCRIPTION
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0             0x0             Microsoft executable, portable (PE)
372399        0x5AEAF         SHA256 hash constants, little endian
4642204       0x46D59C        MySQL ISAM compressed data file Version 10
13113062      0xC816E6        gzip compressed data, last modified: 2019-08-30 09:47:28
42228777      0x2845C29       End of Zip archive, footer length: -25518
42279022      0x285206E       PARity archive data - file number 7950
42571120      0x2899570       XML document, version: "1.0"
This reminds me to add checksums to my uploads!

RomanLeFrais

Aug 12, 2019
The file you are talking about and the one that is currently posted are nothing alike.
This reminds me to add checksums to my uploads!

I first decompressed with upx ;)
Code:
 upx -d nubia\ Z20-for\ Android\ P-TWRP-3.3.1.exe
Edit: I downloaded 1.03 and 2.03 and try to look for diff in some files with
Code:
vimdiff <(xxd "EUROPE-ASIA/file" ) <(xxd "US/file" )
and they are a little different I didn't try the android files (system,vendor,boot etc) because they are too big though

Last edited:

nubiaz20

Dec 1, 2019
I first decompressed with upx ;)
Code:
 upx -d nubia\ Z20-for\ Android\ P-TWRP-3.3.1.exe
Edit: I downloaded 1.03 and 2.03 and try to look for diff in some files with
Code:
vimdiff <(xxd "EUROPE-ASIA/file" ) <(xxd "US/file" )
and they are a little different I didn't try the android files (system,vendor,boot etc) because they are too big though
help me please i am some speak english. my nubia z20 brick . i need stock rom my phone global en v203 i want to chinese rom but my phone brick.
i need rom i need help

Olfoss

Nov 10, 2019
Not working for me.....

Not able to install TWRP.
Have also tried to install img.
Have typed in "adb reboot bootloader" in command window, and the phone reboot.
But when typing "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img", it get stuck on "waiting for device".
Anyone have the correct USB driver?
Or is the problem windows 10?
Btw, USb debugging is on, and OEM unlocking is on.
Ui is CNCommon_V2.17.
The China special with no update function, beside update by usb-c OTG, wich don't work.

Reactions: nubiaz20

Gizor

Jan 28, 2017
Why can not create backup from TWRP, both to the internal memory and to the flash card via OTG, writes an error.

nubiaz20

Dec 1, 2019
But when typing "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img", it get stuck on "waiting for device".
Ui is CNCommon_V2.17.
The China special with no update function, beside update by usb-c OTG, wich don't work.

please answer me

nubiaz20

Dec 1, 2019
Copying instructions that were in the miscellaneous thread while we were waiting for a proper sub forum. Keep in mind that the program to get TWRP onto the phone is in Chinese and will trigger an antivirus warning. Also TWRP will be in Chinese so users have to press the button on the right in the 1st screen to enable English.

TWRP is working for Nubia Z20 Chinease, Europe and American version

Download TWRP from this link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rpyehWTPdzzNLhZVqvOuaPmoZ0bG0gak/view?usp=sharing

Installing TWRP steps:
1. Enable usb debugging in nubia z20
2. Connect your mobile to the computer
3. Disable Anti-virus on your computer
4. Copy paste TWRP application to C:/adb
5. Click the only button on the TWRP interface
6. On the next screen, click the only button (fastboot twrp) on the screen
7. mobile will reboot to bootloader
8. reboot to recovery
9. if you have security code, input your security pin.
10. change language by clicking right side button
11. In twrp, you can flash global rom and magisk for root

For Rooting Nubia (all version)
1. Install TWRP from the above link
2. From TWRP, you can install magisk manager (latest) and reboot to system.
3. From Magisk application, download riru modules (core & hook) install and reboot.
4. Insatll Edxposed for xposed modules

Custom modules working for Nubia:
1. Gravity Box (working only for global roms)
2. Face unlock (Magisk module)
3. Instant Face unlock (Xposed module)
4. Pixelify (Magisk module0
5. Force touch enabler (Xposed module)
6. Xposed edge (Xposed module)
7. AR core patcher (Magisk module)
8. Google cam (Gcam shared earliet posts with attached xml scripts)
9. Youtube vanced
10. Whatsapp emojis
11. L Tweaks

please can you improve twrp for android 11 this way

n1tro

Aug 14, 2007
I can't. I'm not a developer. The information above was done by someone else before the forum was created. I only copied the content over.

This phone has almost no support unless you are using the Chinese version. Nubia does not care about the global market as they make enough money selling phones within China in my opinion.

nubiaz20

Dec 1, 2019
I can't. I'm not a developer. The information above was done by someone else before the forum was created. I only copied the content over.

This phone has almost no support unless you are using the Chinese version. Nubia does not care about the global market as they make enough money selling phones within China in my opinion.

i will never buy a nubia phone again.

Kintamo888

May 7, 2021
ZTE Nubia Z20
I upgraded to android 11 beta for nubia z20, it installed without issue, but I was not satisfied with the upgrade because I could not access my contacts. I tried to reinstall the standard ROM back, it loads the nubia logo and then shows the warning “Device is corrupted. It can't be trusted and won't boot. " I have flashed the Nubia z20 unbrick tool v1.03 and this does not help either, please help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not working for me.....

Ui is CNCommon_V2.17.