Evo 4G case updates - Ballistic SG, Otterbox Commuter, CaseMate Tough

Search This thread

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
I just noticed that HC cases are no longer available through the Ballistic site only the SG cases.
If you need one, check Amazon or Ebay.

lacrossev

Nov 9, 2008
SF Bay Area
I just noticed that HC cases are no longer available through the Ballistic site only the SG cases.
If you need one, check Amazon or Ebay.

If you try to get an HC off ebay, ask if the screen protector has a matte finish underneath or if its slick. The first ones had the slick finish which gave you that sticky bubble look against a stock or non-matte screen protector. The revision had a glossy outer finish and matte inner finish so it wouldn't stick, so your device can be naked inside.

I broke my first one by constantly taking it off by grabbing the bottom and pulling up without twisting it laterally to get the clips to disengage, so it ended up snapping the frame of the front piece. When i got another one it had a matte inner surface for the screen protector.

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
If you try to get an HC off ebay, ask if the screen protector has a matte finish underneath or if its slick. The first ones had the slick finish which gave you that sticky bubble look against a stock or non-matte screen protector. The revision had a glossy outer finish and matte inner finish so it wouldn't stick, so your device can be naked inside.

I broke my first one by constantly taking it off by grabbing the bottom and pulling up without twisting it laterally to get the clips to disengage, so it ended up snapping the frame of the front piece. When i got another one it had a matte inner surface for the screen protector.
My outer screen protector never bubbled but I took it off anyway. It interfered with touch slightly and when I took the front off to clean it, I pressed a little too hard on the screen protector and it started to come undone from the frame. It would stick back with the type of glue used but I decided I didn't need much water resistance since I never kept the phone in the silicone shell and still had the inner screen protector anyway.

X~Reaver~X

Mar 21, 2012
Bremen, IN
To prevent my case screen from bubbling against the screen I used the thin no-glare screen protector from sprint on my phone. Then upgraded my case to the otterbox defender and left the screen cover on. I have had no issues with the touch not sensing unless I talk for a long time on a hot day. But that happens without the case too. Only thing I hate about this case is the crappy cheap plastic stand. Was worthless to even put on the case in my opinion.

Incitatus4

Oct 27, 2011
My Commuter case tore as I was pulling it from my pocket and I lost the flap that covers the bottom ports on the phone. I emailed Otterbox explaining the situation and they offered to send me a brand new one, which is now on it's way.
How can you argue with such great customer service?

bill875

Oct 14, 2010
Wow! Seidio would never offer to do that! I can't get them to do anything without FIRST sending back my defective case or holster, then wait almost two weeks to get the replacement. It seems like Seidio could learn a thing or two from Otterbox' customer service.

Perhaps I'll go with Otterbox from now on.

sqwerl

Dec 29, 2010
Central AL
I think Ballistic cases are more durable in general especially compared to the Otterbox Commuter. Their customer service is also good.

DCWS6

Sep 17, 2011
The Trident Electra Series Case with extended 2800ma battery is great. The case is similar to otterbox defender series, but better constructed. I have both and the Trident is far superior.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

DCWS6

Sep 17, 2011
I got it from amazon for 44.95 with free shipping. You'll love it, I get about 31/2 days on it.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using XDA

IgottaT/A

Sep 19, 2012
Ballistic is definitely the way to go, My EVO is over a year old and had seen the ground more times then I can remember, lol. But thanks to the case, it still looks like it did the day I bought it. :good:

justgonecrazy

Aug 1, 2012
I also have the ballistic hc case and my original one was designed so that there were no proximity sensor issues. Just got a new one from Amazon and this one the hole is different and had the issue. All I did was remove the plastic behind the hole and the issue went away. Your probably gonna remove the built in screen protector anyway because they get scratched easily. I'm rocking the XOSkin and 6 months later not a scratch. That says a lot from a guy that works construction.

Sent from my X10 using xda premium

connman

Sep 19, 2011
Flint, Michigan
I know you're speaking of ballistic cases, but the case I've used since new is the leather slipcover from Sena. It doesn't look like it would provide much protection, but my Evo is going on 2+ years, dropped multiple times, sat on a couple of times, and it looks brand new.

Plus the case doesn't add much bulk at all, and looks great!

Just thought I'd throw my $.02 in...