Extract SMS on WP7

Search This thread

endeffekt

Dec 5, 2010
Hello there,

just for your info - maybe it helps somebody:

after some days of trying i found the shortmessages (with tel-number etc.) and some other stuff in a file:

1. Explore your phone with Windows Phone Device Manager

2. goto \Application Data\

3. Add "\Microsoft" to the path (under the file-explorer logo)

4. goto Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

5. Rename "store.vol" to something like "store.vol.txt" (it is mandatory to rename this file - without this step the file is in use by outlook)

6. extract it (drag n drop)

7. run perl script (#perl test.pl store.vol.txt)

8. See output

Maybe one of you could build a backup application or something like that!

Link to perl script:
http://uploaded.to/file/he26q0d2

Original source of script:
http://www.pocketpcjunkies.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/pocketpc-dev/21040/Reading-pim-vol-EDB-File-on-a-PC

Edit:
Don't know if you've seen it:

\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\data

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right ;) )

\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! :) )

\Applications\Data\82A23635-5BD9-DF11-A844-00237DE2DB9E\Data\IsolatedStore

ALL Facebook-Information (if app is installed), including messages, pictures, notifications etc. etc.

\Application Data\Location\Cache

Wifi & GSM Data when features is enabled in WP7-preferences (encrypted?! don't know..)

Much more to come... ;)

greets
endeffekt

Last edited:

WP7SuperFan

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks! Looks interesting, I might try that!

Hey just wondering but does syncing with outlook have the option to sync texts? Only reason I wonder is because you said that file was in use by outlook....

endeffekt

Dec 5, 2010
Thanks! Looks interesting, I might try that!

Hey just wondering but does syncing with outlook have the option to sync texts? Only reason I wonder is because you said that file was in use by outlook....

Hey,

i just THINK it's in use ;)

If you look at this file without renaming it's at 0,00 KB and you can't extract it. Maybe the contacts-tile or something else is using it

schluff1

Jul 8, 2008
Hamburg
Hi Endeffekt,
thank you for this great hint!
But one more question before I try. Is it possible, to rename the file after the procedure back to "store.vol" without losing the messages on the phone?

Last edited:

schluff1

Jul 8, 2008
Hamburg
Great! Alle messages are there. But the script doesnt work for me.
Now we need a smart developer who can make a viewer for it. :)
Is there a way to copy the vol file back to the phone? Or is the file always locked? For restore reasons...

Pixa1

Apr 23, 2009
Zagreb
I think this is very interesting (possibility to backup/restore SMS), so probably we should keep it on the front page so the devs could notice it.

da_mayhem

Mar 28, 2006
Manila
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Has anybody tried to restore that store.vol into the device after a reset? I mean rename the current store.vol to any filename, then copy the backed up store.vol to the phone and restart.

I'd like to try but i need to get hold all my current sms! :D

Gray.Fox

Mar 1, 2011
I think this is very interesting (possibility to backup/restore SMS), so probably we should keep it on the front page so the devs could notice it.

i agree

thanks a lot Endeffekt for sharing such important information

i sent the file to my pc but still couldn't edit it,

if anyone know other way than perl script please share,

i'm trying to edit the file and insert old sms from my old phone

thanks

endeffekt

Dec 5, 2010
i agree

thanks a lot Endeffekt for sharing such important information

i sent the file to my pc but still couldn't edit it,

if anyone know other way than perl script please share,

i'm trying to edit the file and insert old sms from my old phone

thanks

Hint: it's an EBD database (like other files too)

endeffekt

Dec 5, 2010

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right )

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! )

ALL Facebook-Information (if app is installed), including messages, pictures, notifications etc. etc.

Wifi & GSM Data when features is enabled in WP7-preferences (encrypted?! don't know..)

Gray.Fox

Mar 1, 2011
Last edited:

MarkCaulfield

May 21, 2011
SMS retreival on Windows phone 7 using device manager

Hey all.

I have an Samsung Omnia phone 7. Dev unlocked. Running 7.0.7004.0

Anyone any idea how to view the file in question? I need to download this file, and save the SMS entries to my PC.

When I use device manager, I cant see a folder called
\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

I mean, when I copy and paste the above text into the path, its just beeps and doesnt show anything.

On the root under file explorer, I have
My Documents (which is empty)
Windows (lots of files in it)
-ActiveSync
-Application Data
--KeyStorage
-AppMgr
-ColdInit
-eventlog
and a few others

When I open the Application Data folder, I only have a 'Key Storage' (certainly no Microsoft folder, and I tried typing it incase it was hidden or something , but just a ping sound and no refresh of the file list)
and when I open Key Storage, I have no files.

Any help working out why I cant see these folders / store.vol file would be very much appreciated

Does Windows Phone Device Manager not support this functionality on the Omnia?

Thanks

Last edited:

munkeyphyst

Mar 9, 2011
Chicago
Using the diagnosis code 5**6244*3
I was able to open the Apps Launcher and Shortcuts Menu and can confirm that the path \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore exists on my Focus.

In that folder, I have:
temp
Each of these folders has a list of single alpha named folders (a, b, c, d, e, etc...)
Each of these alpha folders has a single .dat file

I haven't tried to extract those files to try to play with them. I don't know how I would with the Focus... But just confirming the path exists on my Focus and has the .dat files

rajivshahi

Account currently disabled
Oct 10, 2008
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me
Hint: it's an EBD database (like other files too)

Thanx for your hard work... Any success???? i'm intrested in the extraction of sms in the form which can b read on computer. i tried as you said renamed and copied to computer but i can not read that in computer... is it encrypted ?? Any help in that is appreciated.......

Last edited:

CopyCounsler

Mar 31, 2008
I've checked out all the EDB recovery/readers on teh net and cannot open one of these "edb" files from the phone.

if anyone knows the architecture of the file, I can parse it and have a program ready quickly.

some talk about EDB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there,

just for your info - maybe it helps somebody:

after some days of trying i found the shortmessages (with tel-number etc.) and some other stuff in a file:

1. Explore your phone with Windows Phone Device Manager

2. goto \Application Data\

3. Add "\Microsoft" to the path (under the file-explorer logo)

4. goto Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

5. Rename "store.vol" to something like "store.vol.txt" (it is mandatory to rename this file - without this step the file is in use by outlook)

6. extract it (drag n drop)

7. run perl script (#perl test.pl store.vol.txt)

8. See output

Maybe one of you could build a backup application or something like that!

Link to perl script:
    http://uploaded.to/file/he26q0d2

Original source of script:
    http://www.pocketpcjunkies.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/pocketpc-dev/21040/Reading-pim-vol-EDB-File-on-a-PC

Edit:

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right ;) )

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! :) )

Much more to come... ;)

greets
    endeffekt
    Backup and Restore your SMS

Hi guys!

I managed to backup and restore my SMS without any problems.

The only thing is, that you need a file explorer to do it, so restoring to, or backuping from Mango isn't possible at this time (or is there a file explorer for mango?).

Here is how I've done it:

As endeffekt wrote, you need to copy the files store.vol and the PimIndex.vol from \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

Therefor you need to access your phone with the Windows Phone Device Manager.

1. Open Windows Phone Device Manager

2. Click on "Explore files and folders"
    attachment.php

3. Copy this path \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore and paste it to the navigation bar.
    attachment.php

4. Now you see store.vol and PimIndex.vol

5. Rename both files (for example to store.vol.txt and PimIndex.vol.txt) and copy them to your PC. Without renaming the files you can't copy them.
    attachment.php

6. To restore, copy them back to your phone (be sure that they are still renamed!!!)

7. Rename the files to their original and your done :)

To be sure, you can backup and restore the Data folder, too. But for me it worked without the Data folder.

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right )

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! )

Not actually Mango itself (as in, 7720.68) but actually an HTC update which was slipstreamed into the Mango update for most HTC users. If you got Mango as part of a non-standard update path, like coming from beta to RTM, the harmful HTC update was separate and could be canceled.
    Is it possible to save store.vol on PC and after re-install the rom to put it back on the phone and to recover old messages?
    It is possible to get them onto pc using touchxplorer, but difficult to put back on phone at the moment on our hd2s, using BTTF rom. It might be possible using a fully unlocked ROM like HD2owner or pdamatejam, I haven't tried them;)