OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [TWRP 2.8.2 2014-12-09]

Search This thread

vbdss

Jul 21, 2011
Niteroi, RJ
Hey @Hashcode grea job, apparently the eMMC bug fix works

I used it, but know i cant get Fastboot to recognize the device, on windows device manager, the id of the kindle is USB\SET_ADDRESS_FAILURE

What can i do?

thanks

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
Hey @Hashcode grea job, apparently the eMMC bug fix works

I used it, but know i cant get Fastboot to recognize the device, on windows device manager, the id of the kindle is USB\SET_ADDRESS_FAILURE

What can i do?

thanks
@vbdss

hi mate i got mine up and running:) and i too had nothing working.

hash and i had to use the firekit to boot his bootloader over usbboot. heres how.
Power off and unplug from usb (15 sec hold of button) then run the fk script (sudo ./fk) which opens the terminal menu, but do not select anything yet, then open /root/firekit folder and swap the u-boot.img with hashes new one (needs renaming 1st) then go back to the firekit menu term and type usb_i then Tab to auto complete, then enter when you see waiting for omap, short the pin (and keep it shorted) and plug in usb cable. Note: "each time you run the fk script it replaces the files in /root/firekit (took me ages to work out why 1 time it would boot fff then the next 2.03").
if it boots get ready to activate the emmc fix. good look mate. im sure it will work. I have proved these things are solid. mine took a battering and wouldnt even fire up and it is still good running kitkat. Hashcode is a genius "all hail Hash":)

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

P.S Hash's bootloader will work its just getting it flashed & booted with no fastboot thats the hard bit

Last edited:
Reactions: Hashcode and vbdss

vbdss

Jul 21, 2011
Niteroi, RJ
@lovejoy777

Thank you for the help, will try later
But isnt supposed to the new bootloader enter usbboot without shorting the pin?

I was able to run the eMMC fix, and on the end it said to install the recovery using fastboot but the device isnt reconigzed at all after the fix.

The thing is i installed the otterX 2.03 bootloader using the zip file provided by hash on the official thread using TWRP2.7.0.1 but after running the EMMC fix, Windows doesnt recognize it anymore

Enviado de meu XT1033 usando Tapatalk

Last edited:

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
Sorry dude just reread your post. "I used it".

mine is still playing up with adb etc. have you tried issuing fastboot with twrp 2.3.3 or lower installed as mine works fine pre that but not after?? still a mystery (use usbboot to flash , i have two terms open 1 with fastboot commands "waiting for device" and 1 with usbboot "waiting for omap) when usbboot boots the bootloader i have fastboot working so the fastboot commands work that way. ..

vbdss

Jul 21, 2011
Niteroi, RJ
Sorry dude just reread your post. "I used it".

mine is still playing up with adb etc. have you tried issuing fastboot with twrp 2.3.3 or lower installed as mine works fine pre that but not after?? still a mystery (use usbboot to flash , i have two terms open 1 with fastboot commands "waiting for device" and 1 with usbboot "waiting for omap) when usbboot boots the bootloader i have fastboot working so the fastboot commands work that way. ..

After using the eMMC fix from otterX bootloader your device was being recognized by the windows device manager?
Can i flash a recovery using usbboot? Because it seens the only thing that will work in this case

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
dont use windows but ubuntu couldnt see it. use the firekit and second term like i mentioned above

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
fire kit will install twrp and bootloader.

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

its in the options

muiriddin

Feb 25, 2013
Mid-Atlantic
Thanks Hashcode!

My kindle fire was definitely acting wonky so after reading up on emmc corruption, and then doing some backups I decided to try it. My kindle is now booting a rom!

Somewhere I must have missed that I need to do a complete wipe after rebooting into the newly installed recovery after doing the emmc fix. Once I got past that one, I appear to have a completely reformatted and clean (and now hopefully no longer wonky) device!

All of your efforts at keeping my kindle relevant are greatly appreciated!

vbdss

Jul 21, 2011
Niteroi, RJ
My kindle fire was definitely acting wonky so after reading up on emmc corruption, and then doing some backups I decided to try it. My kindle is now booting a rom!

Somewhere I must have missed that I need to do a complete wipe after rebooting into the newly installed recovery after doing the emmc fix. Once I got past that one, I appear to have a completely reformatted and clean (and now hopefully no longer wonky) device!

All of your efforts at keeping my kindle relevant are greatly appreciated!

So you just installed the bootloader, run the eMMC fix on the bootloader options and then installed fine a recovery using fastboot?
@lovejoy777 usbboot would work on a virtual machine?

muiriddin

Feb 25, 2013
Mid-Atlantic
So you just installed the bootloader, run the eMMC fix on the bootloader options and then installed fine a recovery using fastboot?

@lovejoy777 usbboot would work on a virtual machine?

I backed up what I could, installed OtterX, and ran the eMMC fix. When it finishes it asks you to fastboot your recovery back (it got wiped during the process). I did that, booted into recovery, wiped every partition on the device with the newly installed recovery and then adb pushed the rom I wanted and installed it. Then rebooted...

All in all it took me at most 1/2 an hour to transition from a partially corrupt device to something that booted up a rom. My kindle fire would boot into recovery before I started this, so my initial installation of OtterX was fairly easy (get an un-corrupted version of the otterX zip file onto the device and flash it). If your device can not boot into recovery at all, the initial installation would probably be harder than what I had to do.

The shasum check HashCode has in the installation saved me since the first two attempts at getting the OtterX zip onto the device resulted in a corrupted zip file.

Last edited:

vbdss

Jul 21, 2011
Niteroi, RJ
I don't know what happened on my, I installed it and ran the eMMC fix, which took only a minute or so, then after it the device isnt reconigzed on Windows device manager, adb or fastboot doesn't work because of it, and now all I have is a device with a working bootloader, but that is it, can't do anything at all but change the options on the bootloader.

Are you using Windows or Linux?

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
yes mate my fastboot also was not working after and before emmc fix. the fire kit got me a recovery installed though. it will work on a usb stick. never used a box so not sure how they work..

Reactions: vbdss

vbdss

Jul 21, 2011
Niteroi, RJ
yes mate my fastboot also was not working after and before emmc fix. the fire kit got me a recovery installed though. it will work on a usb stick. never used a box so not sure how they work..

Man i cant make Ubuntu to boot on my pc using the liveUSB, it hangs on a black screen with some checks and one of them says it failed, the one of soundcard mix state. And hangs there.

ANy tips on making Ubuntu work on a LiveUSB?

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
i use linux all the time so i do it from my normal environment if i remember its using a program called pendrive

vbdss

Jul 21, 2011
Niteroi, RJ
i use linux all the time so i do it from my normal environment if i remember its using a program called pendrive

Thanks for the help, i still can remember you trying to help me to fix my Kindle, i think it was you and hash that gave my Kindle an afterlife, because if i remember right, i were the only one that made the Kindle work after the eMMC bug but with the loss of storage space.

I will try to install Ubuntu here, right now, i cant even install it on my HD using an DVD because something is failling on the install process.

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
:). i wasnt helping you mate. it was me that was in the same boat and we both had lots of help from others. i think forest and kinfaun sorted your partitions:)

MrBrady

Oct 26, 2010
So, decided to bite the bullet and flash this new bootloader (2.03 beta). It installed fine and boots fine.

However, when I run the corruption fix, it says it finds issues, but errors on every fix. It says it will wipe all data, but doesn't seem to touch anything. Attached is a screenshot.

Long ago my partitions were corrupted and I manually restored them, but for the life of me I don't remember how. I have no idea if that's part of this issue or not.

On a side note, the bootloader boots the device just fine and runs the latest CM11 just fine as well (even with ART enabled).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: This bootloader / recovery is ONLY for the Kindle Fire 1st Edition. Not to be used by ANY other Kindle Fire.

Project OtterX
    What would the Kindle be like, if it was designed like a Nexus?

The goal of Project OtterX is to re-create the Kindle as if it was a Nexus device and solve many odd issues plaguing it.
    • Combined /data and /sdcard storage which should allow for more storage flexibility between apps and stuff you put on the sdcard
    • Support for charger mode. When the device is turned on by plugging into a charger/USB port it will enter a special charging mode of Android (similar to many other devices)
    • Bootloader now correctly handles reboot recovery / bootloader modes without any special Amazon binaries
    • Bootloader now passes into Android the wifimac / serial # without any special Amazon binaries

THERE ARE 4 MAIN STEPS TO CONVERTING A KINDLE FROM HOW AMAZON SET IT UP TO A "OTTERX". THIS IS NOT ONLY A ROM INSTALL. IT INCLUDES A BOOTLOADER AND A NEW RECOVERY. ONCE INSTALLED YOU CAN FLASH / USE OTTERX ROMS.

THIS WILL WIPE YOUR SAVED DATA / FILES STORED ON THE KINDLE. BE SURE TO TAKE A MOMENT RIGHT NOW TO MOVE ALL OF THE FILES YOU WANT TO SAVE OFF THE KINDLE ENTIRELY.

[RECOMMEND] Read through all of the instructions first and download the files so that you can do the steps in the right order.

Confirm that you can use ADB to push files to the device while booted into recovery. The mass storage sharing function of the "Sdcard" will no longer work in TWRP due to how /data/media storage works.
    Code:
    adb push <test file> /sdcard
    Then check with the recovery file browser that the file is indeed on your device.

INSTALLATION STEPS (STEPS 1 THRU 4 ARE DONE ONLY THE FIRST TIME WHEN CONVERTING FROM AMAZON TO OTTERX PARTITIONS)

STEP 1: Install OtterX Bootloader (flash .zip)
    See post #2 for instructions

STEP 2: Install TWRP for OtterX (flash .zip or fastboot)
    [Updated: 2014-12-09]
    This is a special build to support the new partition layout (combined /data & /sdcard storage)
    ** YES, YOU WILL FLASH THE TWRP FOR OTTERX FIRST, THEN ON THE NEXT REBOOT DO STEP 3
    This way you have a recovery which is setup correctly waiting for when the re-partition is done.
    See post #3 for instructions

STEP 3: Change to the OtterX partition layout
    • Reboot after installing TWRP for OtterX
    • Open the bootloader menu by pressing [POWER]
    • Use 1-2 SHORT presses of [POWER] to highlight "ADVANCED -->"
    • Use a LONG press of [POWER] to select ADVANCED MENU
    • Use 5 SHORT presses of [POWER] to highlight "PARTITION MODE: AMAZON" (if this is OTTERX you can skip step 3)
    • LONG press [POWER] to open "PARTITION MODE MENU"
    • Use 4 SHORT presses of [POWER] to highlight "[CONFIRM] SET MODE: OTTERX"
    • WARNING THIS WILL ERASE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR "SDCARD" and USERDATA!!!! Before doing this step you should have backed up ANYTHING IMPORTANT and pulled it off of your Kindle!
    • LONG press will select this option and your system, cache, userdata will be changed to the OtterX layout (and ERASED)
    • Now use short [POWER] presses to navigate BACK and then to "RECOVERY"

STEP 4: WIPE PARTITIONS IN RECOVERY
    • [Main Menu] Wipe -> Advanced -> check "Cache" and Swipe
    • [Main Menu] Reboot -> Recovery (wait for it to come back into TWRP)
    • [Main Menu] Wipe -> "Format Data", type "yes" and hit enter
    • [Main Menu] Wipe -> Advanced -> check "System" and Swipe

STEP 5: DOWNLOAD / PUSH CM11 ROM and GAPPS TO SDCARD VIA ADB
    • AS OF 06/08 builds both EXT4/F2FS for userdata are supported (REQUIRES NEW TWRP 2.7.1.x+ RECOVERY).
      PRIOR TO THAT CHOOSE: F2FS or EXT4 ROM (F2FS version will have *-f2fs.zip at the end)
      Mirror 1 (Goo.im)
      Mirror 2 (Crackflashers)
    • Download KK Gapps: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps
    • On your PC open up a command prompt and cd to the directory with these files:
      Code:
      adb push <rom.zip filename> /sdcard/
      adb push gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip /sdcard/gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip

STEP 6: FLASH AND REBOOT

DEVELOPERS:
    New OtterX device repo:
    https://github.com/KFire-Android/android_device_amazon_otterx

Add this to your normal project and build against "otterx" instead of "otter".

XDA:DevDB Information
    Project OtterX, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire

Contributors
    Hashcode
    Source Code: https://github.com/KFire-Android/kf_u-boot/tree/p-ti-u-boot-2014.01

ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.05
    Stable Release Date: 2014-12-09
    Current Beta Version: 2.05
    Beta Release Date: 2014-06-08

Created 2014-03-06
    Last Updated 2014-12-09
    Reserved

BOOTLOADER INSTRUCTIONS

WARNING: This bootloader is ONLY for the Kindle Fire 1st Edition. Not to be used by ANY other Kindle Fire.

OtterX Project: Bootloader v2.05

IMPROVEMENTS:
    • All new mainline u-boot sources from "2014.01" release
    • All new multi level expandable text-based menu system. Uses 2 styles of power button presses to navigate. Regular press = move down, Long press = select.
    • Long press power to turn on device. This eliminates those accidental power ons while traveling, etc.
    • Improved fastboot handling and responses shown on LCD
    • Native "reboot recovery" support (OtterX ROM build needed)
    • Native handling of serial # and mac addr passed into kernel (no more idme binary needed)
    • Support for "Charger" bootmode (OtterX ROM build needed)
    • New splashscreen (similar to HDX models), low-battery screen and fastboot mode screen
    • Added device tree binary support in boot.img (for loading newer kernels)
    • Support for OtterX partition layout (eliminates separate "media" partition and uses full 6gb+ for userdata & emulated storage) -- ALSO REQUIRES NEW RECOVERY AND OtterX ROM build
    • [v2.03]Splashscreen can be loaded as RGB565 BMP file from "splash" partition (can be applied by: fastboot flash splash initlogo.bmp)
    • [v2.03]Built-in menu option for fixing EMMC corrupted devices
    • [v2.03]Better long press button handling (won't get another button press till it's released and pressed again)
    • [v2.03]NEW Advanced menu item to force reboot and use a bootloader via usbboot (without shorting PIN) -- useful for testing new bootloaders (a hard power off will reset this function -- otherwise each soft reboot will wait for usbboot to load a bootloader)
    • [v2.03]Fixed partition mode to detect what's actually on the device vs. some random setting
    • [v2.03]Fixed fastboot erase command
    • [v2.03]Fixed fastboot flash bootpart command
    • [v2.04]Handle charger mode correctly
    • [v2.05]Tweaked the USB plug detection on startup for entering fastboot mode
    • [v2.05]Adjusted system and cache partition sizes in otterx partition mode to be a bit more future-proof

Download the recovery-flashable .zip file here:
    Latest File: otterx-u-boot_v2.05.zip
    XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Crackflashers)
    Mirror 2 (Goo.im)

INSTALLATION:
    1. [OPTIONAL-RECOMMENDED] Make sure to backup your vital partitions via from recovery via adb like so:
    Code:
    adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot0.bin"
    adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot1 of=/sdcard/boot1.bin"
    adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/xloader.bin"
    adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 of=/sdcard/bootloader.bin"
    adb pull /sdcard/boot0.bin
    adb pull /sdcard/boot1.bin
    adb pull /sdcard/xloader.bin
    adb pull /sdcard/bootloader.bin
    2. Download the flash .zip from the above link(s).
    3. Apply the .zip file in recovery just like any other ROM or kernel .zip file. This is by far the safest way to upgrade your bootloader. It does a sha1sum check on the file before applying.
    4. Reboot and Enjoy

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • It's a BETA. I'm sure there are bugs which needs fixing.

Special Thanks To:

SOURCE
    https://github.com/KFire-Android/kf_u-boot/tree/p-ti-u-boot-2014.01
    Reserved

TWRP for OtterX
    Now supports both EXT4 and F2FS at the same time!

This is a build of TWRP 2.8.2.x(as of 2014/12/09) which uses the Nexus-style /data & /sdcard combined storage method of OtterX

BE WARNED: Due to the way combined storage works. The mass storage sharing functions in TWRP won't work anymore. You will need to use adb to push files to the device (in recovery). ROMs will use MTP file sharing.

INSTALLATION OPTION A (ASSUMES COMING FROM A PREVIOUS TWRP INSTALL):
    • Download the new TWRP flash.zip:
      Mirror 1 (Goo.im)
    • Place this downloaded file on your Kindle's "sdcard" area
    • (If following STEPS 1-4 you should already be in recovery at this point -- if not get into recovery by using the power button press during the initial boot and then continue to press power till "RECOVERY" is highlighted)
    • Use "Install" and find the TWRP flash.zip that you placed on the device. Select it and then Swipe to install.

INSTALLATION OPTION B (USES FASTBOOT):
    • Download the new TWRP IMAGE FILE: otterx-twrp-2.8.2.0-recovery.img
      Mirror 1 (Goo.im)
    • Open a command prompt on your computer and "cd" to the directory where it's saved
    • Enter this command and press enter. It should say "< waiting for device >"
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery <recovery filename>
    • Now with the device plugged into USB. Reboot.
    • You should see the fastboot command execute
    Fyi: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_amazon_otterx

We were merged as an officially supported device. :)

I need to setup nightlies and choose the userdata format for now since the review commit to suppirt fallback mounting is still being discussed.

Edit: probably going with f2fs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    F2FS IS HERE!

WHAT IS F2FS?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS

I just put up a whole new set of files for supporting F2FS and the larger system/cache partitions which should be more future-proof.

All of the information is in the OP, but here's the individual pieces:

STEP 1: BOOTLOADER v2.05 (flash .zip for re-applying in your current TWRP)
    XDA Hosted
    Mirror 1 (Crackflashers)
    • Apply file in your current TWRP
    • To make use of the newer system/cache sizes you will need toggle to Amazon partition layout and then back to OtterX partitions. WARNING: THIS WIPES OUT THE EXISTING SYSTEM/CACHE/USERDATA PARTITIONS.. AS ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR "SDCARD" BEFORE DOING THIS.

CHANGES:
    • [v2.05]Tweaked the USB plug detection on startup for entering fastboot mode
    • [v2.05]Adjusted system and cache partition sizes in otterx partition mode to be a bit more future-proof

STEP 2: TWRP with F2FS support
    Download the recovery.img file below:
    Mirror 1 (Crackflashers)

Then use fastboot to update your recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery <recovery filename>
    fastboot oem recovery

You will see the same sort of warning regarding userdata mount that you saw when originally converting to OtterX.
    WARNING: THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS WIPE OUT THE EXISTING USERDATA PARTITION.. AS ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR "SDCARD" BEFORE DOING THE RECOVERY UPDATE.
    Use the "Wipe" -> "Format Data" option, type "yes" and hit the enter soft key.
    Once that's done, reboot back into recovery

STEP 3: DOWNLOAD / PUSH CM11 ROM with F2FS support and GAPPS TO SDCARD VIA ADB
    • (F2FS version will have *-f2fs.zip at the end)
      Mirror 1 (Crackflashers)
    • Download KK Gapps: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps
    • On your PC open up a command prompt and cd to the directory with these files:
      Code:
      adb push <rom.zip filename> /sdcard/
      adb push gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip /sdcard/gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip

STEP 4: FLASH AND REBOOT

A COUPLE OF NOTES:
    • I pulled the f2fs sources from upstream through kernel 3.13. And then used some Motorola kernel 3.4 backport commits as well as a couple more to backport to the 3.0 kernel.
    • All said, I think there were over 450 commits pulled to support f2fs
    • There are another 70 or so commits I can pull in which will take us all the way up to the current 3.15-rc7 kernel's f2fs sources. But I'd like to test that out more, and it won't involve any wiping as I update further.
    • F2FS in general is a VERY new filesystem. I would consider it stable enough to try, but don't expect it to be flawless on the first try.
    • As always let me know what you think (hopefully in a constructive way)