[HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide)

Search This thread

saywhat4118

May 12, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
device not found

so i did all the steps correctly and have run adb before with no problems but today i tried running adb and after i typed adb remount it said "error: device not found" although my phone is plugged in. could it be because i have a hero rom installed and the phone is now considered a Hero instead of a G1? when i do go to about phone it does state HTC hero istead of G1 or Dream. thanks in advance

Feb 21, 2009
well I cannot get the driver installed in my copy of windows 7. It shows up and I am able to select the folder for it to search in but it takes forever then it pops up with the error "The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another device"

Destron56853

Sep 9, 2009
Driver Issues

For those of you still having issues with the driver installing itself here is a method you can use that does not require registry edits or additional programs.

In VISTA hit WindowKey + Pause\Break to bring up the system properties
Click Advanced System Settings
Under The Advanced Tab click Environment Variables
Click the New button below the System Variables panel.

In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value box.

Click OK, then OK again to close that Window

Now go to the device manager and go to View > Show Hidden Devices

Make sure your phone is unplugged!

Look under Hard Drives and delete the HTC Android Phone USB Device
** This may show up as Generic Mass Storage **
Look Under Portable Devices and delete the Android Phone
Look Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and Delete ANY USB Mass Storage Devices with a greyed out icon ... one if these is for your phone....

Now with the device manager still open ... plug your phone in. When the window pops up asking what to do hit cancel.

In your device manager you will see what you deleted is back, but there is a new entry in other devices > Android Phone with a yellow ! right click that one and choose update driver. Browse to your adb driver at you should be good!

Mstaniford

Sep 17, 2009
adp not recognized

Deleted original post. Adp not recognized because it's supposed to be adB!

Last edited:

drewrosenhouse

Sep 17, 2009
the adb usb drivers download is corrupt. I can not extract any files from the archive. Can anyone reupload those drivers?

fixed: used 7-zip instead of winrar

Last edited:

dcorrea

Dec 20, 2007
For those of you still having issues with the driver installing itself here is a method you can use that does not require registry edits or additional programs.

In VISTA hit WindowKey + Pause\Break to bring up the system properties
Click Advanced System Settings
Under The Advanced Tab click Environment Variables
Click the New button below the System Variables panel.

In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value box.

Click OK, then OK again to close that Window

Now go to the device manager and go to View > Show Hidden Devices

Make sure your phone is unplugged!

Look under Hard Drives and delete the HTC Android Phone USB Device
** This may show up as Generic Mass Storage **
Look Under Portable Devices and delete the Android Phone
Look Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and Delete ANY USB Mass Storage Devices with a greyed out icon ... one if these is for your phone....

Now with the device manager still open ... plug your phone in. When the window pops up asking what to do hit cancel.

In your device manager you will see what you deleted is back, but there is a new entry in other devices > Android Phone with a yellow ! right click that one and choose update driver. Browse to your adb driver at you should be good!

Good post. I have one suggestion to add. When trying to delete the USB controller for the phone, have the phone plugged in first and see how many usb devices are actually conected. Once you disconnect the phone, you will obviously have 1 less connected device. Plug the phone in 1 more time and see which one is now connected and delete just that one. This will help avoid having to reinstall a bunch of usb devices.

jennixda

Aug 28, 2009
this how to sucks

mac users don't HAVE .bash_profile by default, and adding one requires that you recreate the ENTIRE path (not just the path to the tools folder), otherwise the user's shell fails.

mrandroid

Jun 25, 2009
Miami
www.darklome.com
mac users don't HAVE .bash_profile by default, and adding one requires that you recreate the ENTIRE path (not just the path to the tools folder), otherwise the user's shell fails.

Sorry, you're right... I'm updating the tutorial now... should be <pathtosdk>/tools

Done... Updated it... you must use: export PATH=${PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools

Also, when you're done... make sure you restart your terminal window so it can pick up the new changes...

Last edited:

hogindas

Aug 8, 2008
help please!

when ever i type adb shell i get this

* daemon not running. starting it now *
CreateProcess failure, error 2
* failed to start daemon *
error: cannot connect to daemon
no emulator connected
error: no emulator detected

can anyone help me?!

mattcoz

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago
I'm having all sorts of trouble installing the driver. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and it keeps saying "Windows could not find driver software for your device." I tried going through the steps of removing any USB mass storage devices from device manager, but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

mrandroid

Jun 25, 2009
Miami
www.darklome.com
I'm having all sorts of trouble installing the driver. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and it keeps saying "Windows could not find driver software for your device." I tried going through the steps of removing any USB mass storage devices from device manager, but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Well the first problem is you're using windows vista/7 lol...

PDANet uses ADB to provide tethering. Installing PDANet will also
correctly install the ADB drivers, even on Windows7.

Download PDANet from http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

You can uninstall PDANet if you want afterwards, the drivers will
remain.

1wayjonny

Jan 3, 2007
[Guide] ADB + Windows 7 64

Ok after much searching it seems there is no good information to get ADB to work in Windows 7 64. This is because of device stage and the USB driver installation method.

Device Stage seems to block the computer from even looking for the driver even though it is installed... so follow me down the rabbit hole.

1) Do not have any ADB drivers installed

2) Your phone when plugged will show under "Devices" as Android. Right click properties you will only see the Mass Storage listed 3 times, later it will have a 4th entry called My HTC

3) Make this DIR path manually BEFORE installing HTC Sync or you will get an error while installing

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x64

4) Install the HTC Hero Sync first.

http://www.htc.com/hero/m/files/downloads/HTCsync.zip

5) After installation you will NOW see the Android in you device manager FINALLY!

6) After you want to unpack the included HTC_Driver_64.zip in this thread to:

* This may not have to be this path but the installer needs this folder structure or it will crash during install
Code:

7) Device Manager - Right click your newly listed Android and then click "Update Driver" then point it to:
Code:

8) Your G1 will now list as :

Device Manager > Android USB Devices > My HTC

9) Remove HTC Sync

10) Enjoy ABD from Windows 7 64

Attachments

• HTC_Driver_64.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:

xEM1x

Jul 26, 2009
Help for Windows 7 people. This is how I got ADB to work for me after I had mounted my G1 a few times and could not get my PC to install anything but the storage device drivers.

No, I have the drivers off this site. I take it you already have mounted your G1 before to put music or whatever on it before right and everytime you plug it it in, it automatically installs the mass storage device drivers.

Here is how I got it to work, if I remember correctly. I'm going to assume you hae the 32bit drivers already on your computer.

1. Plug in your G1 and don't mount.
2. Open up the start menu, type device and open the device manager when the option comes up.
3. You shouldn't see an option for ADB devices, which is why you are having the problem. but in the disk drive tab, you hsould see "android device" or something to that effect. Right click then un-install.
4. Go to the start menu again and type device only this time, click "view devices and printers"
5. At the very bottom it should have a list of "unspecified devices" and one of them should be Android Device or something like that again. Right click it and select properties.
6. Click the hardware tab, then properties button. A new window should open, click general tab on the new window and click change settings.
7. The window should close and re-open. Now click driver, and click uninstall.
8. Close out all windows, unplug your G1 and plug it back in, do not mount. It should find the drivers for ADB on your computer and install them.

If this doesn't work, please let me know and I will try and backtrack this again and figure out what I forgot.

Thank you! Worked like a charm.

PlatinumMOTO

Apr 21, 2009
Just recently upgraded from 1.5r3 to 1.6r1 now I had followed all instructions on this thread starting when I first had 1.1r1.

Everything has worked absolutely fine up until now. Since I installed 1.6r1 I have no adb in command prompt it either says adb not recognized or adb device not conncted or no device found.

I installed the usb driver from the tools directory. When I used Droid Explorer it works and it sees adb and the phone just fine but when I reboot into recovery I lose adb. I have the adb files adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll in Windows/System32/ and it used to work now it doesn't how can I fix this?

ok I seem to have fixed it I forgot to setup the path as C:\androidsdk16r1/tools before I just had C:\androidsdk16r1\

Last edited:

David.

Oct 12, 2009
Hey, I've tried all the solutions to fixing the adb I could find. I've uninstalled everything, tried to re-install, etc and I always get this far and I get an error. As you can see from the Device Manager the phone is shown as Unknown Device, although it sometimes shows as Android Phone but it has windows drivers installed.

I'm running Vista 32bit, trying to install drivers from amd64 folder.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2863/usberrors.jpg

kire7415

Sep 30, 2008
San Diego
OK, i have searched all the forums and i need help.

I have installed the usb driver and android phone shows up in device manager but when i plug in my phone and going into CMD and type adb shell i get Error: Device not found. i dont know what i am doing wrong. but i have tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling and still nothing. any help is appreciated. BTW i dont know if it makes a difference i am using a
MyTouch3G. I am trying to get abd so i can partition my sd card for ext2 and ext3. also is there a way to do it from recovery? i tried and i had no keyboard.

niru1978

Oct 15, 2008
windows 7 not able to connect USB (android)

Hi all,

I have windows 7, I installed android on my polaris and when I connect using USB I get installing device drivers but the device (shown as Android phone in device manager) is not installed.

I also tried installing PDANet but still the device is not recognized. Please help

I like android and I want to connect it to the internet using my computer (usb) so I can download more apps.

now my main concern is connecting my phone to my computer using usb.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

My name is Joe aka AndroidSamurai.. I will be releasing more guides and media content in the weeks to come.

I'm currently very busy with "life events(new baby)" and apologize for my absence.

I will be updating this post since it was my original with a new guide updated to new SDK and Android methods.

Thanks again,

AndroidSamurai
    Android4D Inc
    ok, so i am in linux now, and i just noticed this guide was for windows.. lol can you or someone tell me how to install the SDK on linux?
    Downloading
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/index.html

Installing
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/installing.html

Found through Google...imagine that. :p
    If you never see the notification, navigate to the Device Manager(inside "System" in the control panel in XP and inside Device Manager on Vista).

You will see ADB Android Device at the top of the list with a Yellow Icon beside it meaning the device is not working. Right-click on the device and select "Update Driver".

Follow the dialogs that pop-up and navigate to where the unzipped drivers are at...

You should be good to go from there... :D
    The "bashing" comments in my tutorial are directed towards the people with a true sense of humor. My tutorial was written to tell you how to simply complete a task and not to make you feel better about yourself. I do not get pleasure in abusing people's self esteem nor do I enjoy putting people down.

Just because you got a little sand in your crack does not mean you need to come in a very honest and informative thread and start bashing the people who are bending over backwards to help everyone out.

The reason I created this "tutorial" in the first place was because all the other threads are full of "start searching and stop asking so many damn questions" comments.

So start looking in the mirror when you wake up in the morning and stop saying "My, I think I will run over to good ole' XDA and be an @$$ to everyone today".

I am sincerely sorry that a little sense of humor has caused so much hatred in my thread. Please contact the forum moderators and see if the think my tutorial is so hateful.
    Hey guys sure its been mentioned before .

Quick way to start adb ..

1. Navigate to the platform tools folder in Android Sdk folder on your hard drive

2. Press and hold the shift key ( do not click on anything )

3. Now left click and select "Open command prompt here"

4. Adb Remount ..should see the message "Remount Suceeded"

5. Now you can run your adb commands

Pretty sure someone posted in this thread already but thought i would refresh it again :)