Bootloader unlocked cant install TWRP

Search This thread

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
Hello all, I tried searching but if I missed the thread please point me to it. I was able to unlock the bootloader using HTC Dev but I cant seem to install TWRP. Am I missing a step or something? I am running an HTC Evo 4G LTE on 3.17. I tried putting the PJ75IMG.zip in the root of the sd card but when restarted in the bootloader it read it and said main version is older. I tried using goomanager to download and install but that didnt work either. Am i doing something wrong here? Thanks in advance guys (and girls)!

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
OK. So fastboot is the best method. Then I can install super user correct? I dont HAVE to install a ROM if i dont want to correct? I can just run stock root? If I wanted to install a ROM would I need to be S-OFF? or could I install one while still being S-ON? It has been quite some time since I rooted a phone. Last phone was the Samsung Epic 4G. What a terrible phone. Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
OK. So fastboot is the best method. Then I can install super user correct? I dont HAVE to install a ROM if i dont want to correct? I can just run stock root? If I wanted to install a ROM would I need to be S-OFF? or could I install one while still being S-ON? It has been quite some time since I rooted a phone. Last phone was the Samsung Epic 4G. What a terrible phone. Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
I personally use fastboot to install twrp then when you want/need to update twrp you can fastboot flash again or use goomanager from the playstore.
You can install SuperSU and run stock rooted or flash a custom rom which has superuser added
As for flashing roms you can flash them while s-on it's just more work because you have to fastboot flash the kernel/boot.img then flash the rom.
I always recommend S-OFF as it will save you the extra steps in flahing roms and also if you mess something up you can flash an older RUU if the most current RUU is not available.
@FinZ28 has a great guide explaining how to flash the kernel/boot.img

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
OK, so now the question becomes what method for S-OFF should I use? I would like to be able to make it look like I never rooted the phone if need be if at all possible. I heard good things about rumrunner for 3.17. am i correct that this would be the best method or is there a better one? again sorry its been too long and this is my first HTC root.

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
OK, so now the question becomes what method for S-OFF should I use? I would like to be able to make it look like I never rooted the phone if need be if at all possible. I heard good things about rumrunner for 3.17. am i correct that this would be the best method or is there a better one? again sorry its been too long and this is my first HTC root.
Since you are on 3.17 rumrunner is the only method you can use :D

Reactions: quattroa430

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
OK so first install TWRP then SU then S-OFF? also i factory reset my phone the other day and now on some apps I have this weird menu bar at the bottom. it happens on my facebook app and bank app. it doesnt show up in Kik or play or sms apps. any ideas? i would like to remove that

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
OK so first install TWRP then SU then S-OFF? also i factory reset my phone the other day and now on some apps I have this weird menu bar at the bottom. it happens on my facebook app and bank app. it doesnt show up in Kik or play or sms apps. any ideas? i would like to remove that
Yes unlock your bootloader if you have not already
Install twrp
Flash SU
Then S-OFF(make sure you read all the pre-requisetes before starting rumrunner
As fo the weird menu it may disappear if you flash a custom rom

Reactions: Magnum_Enforcer

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
Ok so I came across another issue. I cant seem to get busybox to install. I would like to install cyanogenmod 10 and qbking mentions needing s-off to do so. Is that correct? It is a bit of a pain being on 3.17 but I guess there isnt much I can do. Any advice for installing busybox? Thanks again

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I successfully installed Busybox on 3.17 last night. As far as having to be S-off to flash CM, no, you don't have to be, but it makes life easier. Hit the top link in my sig and read my Hboot guide if you haven't already done so.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Reactions: scottspa74

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
I read your hboot guide. Very informative. Rumrunner requires busybox and for whatever reason I cannot install busybox. Could you possibly eexplain what choices you made that worked? I tried installing to bin and xbin. Should I install to a custom location instead? If so where should I? I would like to be s-off and have cyanogen lol. Thanks again guys!

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I read your hboot guide. Very informative. Rumrunner requires busybox and for whatever reason I cannot install busybox. Could you possibly eexplain what choices you made that worked? I tried installing to bin and xbin. Should I install to a custom location instead? If so where should I? I would like to be s-off and have cyanogen lol. Thanks again guys!

I'm not really sure what to tell you since I was already S-off when I installed it. Where did you read that it was required prior to running Rumrunner?

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
It was on the pocketables website. search "rumrunner HTC EVO 4g LTE" everytime I seem to try to install busybox my phone crashes.

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Are you running just the stock rooted factory rom?
You could try Captain_Throwbacks 3.17 rooted rom or SharkieRom 3.17

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Try this. Its a TWRP flashable zip of the latest Busybox (v1.20.2). See if that straightens things out with your issue. Make sure you have a backup handy just in case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g16xuqbzbmzz8yz/busybox-signed.zip

You can use a file manager like Root Explorer and go to /system/xbin/ and look to make sure you see the Busybox file. If it's there you're good to go:thumbup: (I did not develop the Busybox file-I simply took the file and make it into a flashable zip. Big thanks to Rootlinux for showing me how it's done).

Last edited:

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
Try this. Its a TWRP flashable zip of the latest Busybox (v1.20.2). See if that straightens things out with your issue. Make sure you have a backup handy just in case.

You can use a file manager like Root Explorer and go to /system/xbin/ and look to make sure you see the Busybox file. If it's there you're good to go:thumbup:

Worked like a charm. Busybox is installed right where you said it should be. Now to run rumrunner and gain s-off. Thank you guys for all the help and support thus far!

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
S-OFF Issue

Ok now I can't seem to gain S-OFF using rumrunner. I downloaded the correct version for the EVO 4G LTE and I am running native Ubuntu 13.10 32bit. It works for a while until it gets to the pouring stages

==================== rumrunner S-OFF 0.5.0 ==============================

rumrunner S-OFF comes with NO WARRANTY (express or implied)
and NO GUARANTEE OF FITNESS for any particular task.
We have made every effort we can to make this a safe process for users
however the authors disclaim any liability for damage to your phone
or other materials or devices used during this process.

The entire risk of running rumrunner S-OFF lies with you, the user.
By using this software you acknowledge and accept that the authors
are not liable for any loss, material or otherwise howsoever caused.

YesDo you understand the implications of this warning?
(Yes/No)

Dear User: We will expect that YOU:
(1) Know how to use ADB and FASTBOOT binaries
---- [Yes, use these tools to test USB connection BEFORE running rumrunner] ----
(2) Realize that rumrunner S-OFF cannot support every CUSTOM rom in this world
(3) Understand that irc support IS NOT A GENERAL HELPDESK
(4) Are able to identify and download the CORRECT package for YOUR device
(5) Know how to enable USB-debugging on YOUR device (Yes, do that now)
(6) Understand that you may NOT repack or redistribute rumrunner S-OFF

Ok?
(Yes/No)
yes
Type 'Yes' or 'No'
(Yes/No)
Yes
!! Do NOT for any reason taunt, unplug, drop, eat or pet your device !!
Please wait....
Checking for updates......
Test 1: Rebooting into bootloader
Waiting for fastboot (7/120)
Waiting
Test 2: Booting device
Waiting for ADB (21/120)
must ferment longer...

must sanitize, skunky rum is nasty
hold please..............................................
[************************************************************]
Rebooting into bootloader (again)
Waiting for fastboot (7/120)
Waiting for ADB (21/120)
must ferment longer...

chilling..................
it's a little stinky here, hmm....

bottles are packed, here we go, shhhhhh....

hmm, cap is on tighter than I expected........
hell, that damn cap is on REALLY tight.......
pouring (1)...
WTF: What are you doing?

Idk what I am doing wrong here. I couldnt even get it to work right using windows so I had to break out the laptop.

It gets to that point every time then fails and reboots the phone.

Software version: 3.17.651.4
Android Version: 4.1.1
Kernal Version: 3.4.10-gf5d846c

Is there anything else needed to help figure this out? Tis getting a wee bit frustrating. Can I S-OFF off if i flash cyanogen or any other rom?

quattroa430

Feb 4, 2012
Tried running Captain_Throwbacks stock rooted 3.17 and got the same result at the same exact point while running rumrunner. Going to try Sharkie next. Any tips are greatly welcomed!

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Don't have much to offer since I haven't used Rumrunner. Having said that, make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port and not 3.0, and that you're using a fairly stock Sense ROM. Also make sure that you're phone is recognized with both ADB & Fastboot. Seems most of the issues I've seen have to do with the connection. If it fails, try try again. You also might want to check out the Rumrunner thread in original development.

Just a thought, but have you looked at your bootloader and made sure that you're still S-on? Reason I ask is because on Moonshine the "WTF: What are you doing?" message actually meant that the process was successful. Not sure if Rumrunner is the same.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    fastboot flash it :D PJ75IMG.zip will only work if you are S-OFF
    Put the .img file in the folder you are using to run the commands from.
    fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img

You can use a file manager like Root Explorer and go to /system/xbin/ and look to make sure you see the Busybox file. If it's there you're good to go:thumbup: (I did not develop the Busybox file-I simply took the file and make it into a flashable zip. Big thanks to Rootlinux for showing me how it's done).

I personally use fastboot to install twrp then when you want/need to update twrp you can fastboot flash again or use goomanager from the playstore.
    You can install SuperSU and run stock rooted or flash a custom rom which has superuser added
    As for flashing roms you can flash them while s-on it's just more work because you have to fastboot flash the kernel/boot.img then flash the rom.
    I always recommend S-OFF as it will save you the extra steps in flahing roms and also if you mess something up you can flash an older RUU if the most current RUU is not available.
    @FinZ28 has a great guide explaining how to flash the kernel/boot.img
    Since you are on 3.17 rumrunner is the only method you can use :D
    Yes unlock your bootloader if you have not already
    Install twrp
    Flash SU
    Then S-OFF(make sure you read all the pre-requisetes before starting rumrunner
    As fo the weird menu it may disappear if you flash a custom rom