[Q] Manually flash OTA on stock recovery?

Search This thread

mzrdisi

May 19, 2009
Northern IL
Seems this is either something I should just know or ya just can't do it.

I've brought my device back stock, sitting on 4.2.2.

However it doesn't want to take an OTA for whatever reason. Seems to be a device issue based on a search on google, but I was curious, since I have the OTA files for the 4.3 update and 4.4 update, why not just push them manually? Doesn't seem the stock recovery allows for an option to install from internal storage. I mean, there is an option to select, but all it seems to do is retart the phone.

You help is appreciated, even if this is a noob question. :D

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Are you s-off or bootloader unlocked? You say you have the ota files. If so you need a usb otg cable and a usb flash drive. You take the ota zip and rename it to update.zip and place it on your fat32 formated usb drive in no folders. Boot to stock recovery and select apply update from external storage. Its should do some stuff, reboot a couple times and then you should be updated. If your otas are downloading, but not installing you can select apply update from cache and it should install it.

Reactions: mzrdisi

mzrdisi

May 19, 2009
Northern IL
I brought it back to 100% Verizon Raped Stocked. I am having a camera defect issue, but I want to make sure my phone isn't bjorked in the event they try to pin the camera problem on something else. I'd like to get my phone all the way to current software, stock. So I can walk in and be like, hey it's updated, it's messed up still, give me a new phone, k thx.

The issue I'm having is that the phone will not recognize an update is there. Even though I'm running old software. So I searched for various OTAs and seems I can download them from various threads/links found here on XDA, but I am not able to figure out how to easily flash them in the stock recovery.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Are you talking about ota files or ruu's. Ota files are zips that where pulled from somebodys phone who recieved it ota, they are just updates. They flash thru recovery, but are hard to find. Ruus are zips that are full phone images that get flashed in hboot using fastboot.

I would ruu to 4.3 and hope you get the ota notification for 4.4. I would tell you to just ruu to 4.4, but we do not yet have one available.

Reactions: mzrdisi

mzrdisi

May 19, 2009
Northern IL
I am S-On so I had figured I didn't have the choice to use a ruu file. The files I have are the zips people have posted after pulling them from their devices before doing the update.

I guess what I'll do that probably makes the most sense and least time is S-Off again. Flash a newer ruu and go back to S-On. Guess I didn't anticipate having this OTA problem. Of course, I could still have the issue even if I flash the 4.3 ruu.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mzrdisi

May 19, 2009
Northern IL
Awesome, well, I'm back up to 4.3. However I'm still in the same boat where the phone refuses to acknowledge an update. I'll just be content with that for now. haha

Thanks for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you s-off or bootloader unlocked? You say you have the ota files. If so you need a usb otg cable and a usb flash drive. You take the ota zip and rename it to update.zip and place it on your fat32 formated usb drive in no folders. Boot to stock recovery and select apply update from external storage. Its should do some stuff, reboot a couple times and then you should be updated. If your otas are downloading, but not installing you can select apply update from cache and it should install it.
    Are you talking about ota files or ruu's. Ota files are zips that where pulled from somebodys phone who recieved it ota, they are just updates. They flash thru recovery, but are hard to find. Ruus are zips that are full phone images that get flashed in hboot using fastboot.

I would ruu to 4.3 and hope you get the ota notification for 4.4. I would tell you to just ruu to 4.4, but we do not yet have one available.
    You can do an ruu while s-on, you just need a signed one. You can get them here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46506621 at the bottom of the post.