[GUIDE][Re-Partition][FlashableZip][1.9GB Extra Space on internal sdcard]

Search This thread

smeet.somaiya

Jan 24, 2014
Mumbai
Based on @ninekaw9 's original script from here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52989641

I ported this for the N7105 and T889
Please read the post fully before trying this.

This file basically reduces the space assigned to cache and preload partitions and reassigns that extra space to your internal sdcard.

What is preload?

Used for storing Samsung's pre-loaded bloatwares like some wallpapers and "Wonders of Nature" video that you find on your phone after a factory reset or after buying a new phone.

Reducing the cache partition:

Cache basically stores the apps from Google play while they are downloading and the rest of it is used for storing OTA updates.
The OTA updates from Samsung and big in size and hence cache has 1GB of size to store those big updates.

So basically I reduced the cache size from 1GB to 100mb because Kitkat is the last update for Note2 afaik and the phone would be out of OTA service after Kitkat.

Won't reducing cache size break some other things?
No. It won't. As I have still kept 100mb in the cache that would be fine for playstore downloads.

Can I return to stock partition size after doing this?
Yes. Find the .pit file for your device and flash stock firmware through odin alongwith the pit file.
Or if you want a flashable zip for returning to stock partitions see post #2

What you need to have to Re-partiton

Philz recovery installed (latest version)for t889.

Note that TWRP WONT WORK as it doesn't have some binaries for partitioning.

Nandroid backup or a rom zip file in your external sdcard is a must.

Backup your internal sdcard as it will be formatted in the process.

Procedure :

1.Boot into philz recovery

2.Flash the file which is linked here.
Partition_N7105/T889_16GB_model_only

After flashing the recovery will automatically reboot.

3.Next you will see some mounting errors. Don't worry. Just go to mounts and storage and do this
Format /data
Format /system
Format /sdcard0
Format /preload

Please don't format /boot /modem or /sdcard1.

4. So after formatting it's all done. Now you can restore nandroid or flash a new rom.

5. If you are having issue restoring your nandroid backup then read this post and do exactly what he says

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53207492

Note: You can still flash bootloaders and modems from odin after doing this re-partioning. No need to flash with pit file.
However if you want to flash a full rom from odin then pit file is required.

All credits to @ninekaw9 and @forumber2 for their original scripts. You guys are awesome ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adamcooks

Aug 4, 2010
NYC
Before

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1402524018667.jpg
    1402524018667.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,058

adamcooks

Aug 4, 2010
NYC
Are you running AOSP? Did you use the zip file for AOSP from the second post?

I run w03slimkat, the AOSP zip also reduces system partition to 1g

I don't know if it matters, I am on 4.1 bl.

For AOSP users only.
System slimmed down to 1Gb so you get a total of 14.2GB of user available space on your phone.

Download here

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scariola

Nov 15, 2009
Sandy Eggo, CA
Are you running AOSP? Did you use the zip file for AOSP from the second post?

I run w03slimkat, the AOSP zip also reduces system partition to 1g

I don't know if it matters, I am on 4.1 bl.

Gotcha. Looked at your screen again and definate AOSP rom. I seen about the other partition for AOSP download but it would be too small for touchwiz base.

Thanks though, now I realized how you got more space.

ntran239

Nov 16, 2011
Hi noob here I flashed the repartition zip a few months ago and recently I was messing with my phone trying to convert to f2fs and got stuck in a recovery bootloop so I had to Odin back 2 stock but forgot about the pit file I needed when flashing with Odin and now no matter what I do I can't get /cache to mount at all anymore. I am using twrp 2.8.1 as current recovery at the time I was using Phil's. Any ideas on how I can get /cache to mount?
Any help would b appreciated.

I was thinking of flashing the stock partition zip but I don't think it will do anything since /cache is not mounted.

BRANDENDEUCE

Jul 8, 2008
Reno
Android Wear
T-Mobile LG G4
Hi noob here I flashed the repartition zip a few months ago and recently I was messing with my phone trying to convert to f2fs and got stuck in a recovery bootloop so I had to Odin back 2 stock but forgot about the pit file I needed when flashing with Odin and now no matter what I do I can't get /cache to mount at all anymore. I am using twrp 2.8.1 as current recovery at the time I was using Phil's. Any ideas on how I can get /cache to mount?
Any help would b appreciated.

I was thinking of flashing the stock partition zip but I don't think it will do anything since /cache is not mounted.

You are going to have to ODIN all the way back to a rooted stock.

ntran239

Nov 16, 2011
You are going to have to ODIN all the way back to a rooted stock.

Hi thanks for reply i did odin back using a a stock injectected rom by mr robinson. after i did that it would boot into recovery like usual and i would try to factory reset because of mounting errors but even after factory reset i still get the same errors. I then would install a twrp via odin and flashed a backup i had was the only way to get phone working but /cache still not able to mount. I honostly dont know what I am doing wrong.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Based on @ninekaw9 's original script from here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52989641

I ported this for the N7105 and T889
    Please read the post fully before trying this.

This file basically reduces the space assigned to cache and preload partitions and reassigns that extra space to your internal sdcard.

What is preload?

Used for storing Samsung's pre-loaded bloatwares like some wallpapers and "Wonders of Nature" video that you find on your phone after a factory reset or after buying a new phone.

Reducing the cache partition:

Cache basically stores the apps from Google play while they are downloading and the rest of it is used for storing OTA updates.
    The OTA updates from Samsung and big in size and hence cache has 1GB of size to store those big updates.

So basically I reduced the cache size from 1GB to 100mb because Kitkat is the last update for Note2 afaik and the phone would be out of OTA service after Kitkat.

Won't reducing cache size break some other things?
    No. It won't. As I have still kept 100mb in the cache that would be fine for playstore downloads.

Can I return to stock partition size after doing this?
    Yes. Find the .pit file for your device and flash stock firmware through odin alongwith the pit file.
    Or if you want a flashable zip for returning to stock partitions see post #2

What you need to have to Re-partiton

Philz recovery installed (latest version)for t889.

Note that TWRP WONT WORK as it doesn't have some binaries for partitioning.

Nandroid backup or a rom zip file in your external sdcard is a must.

Backup your internal sdcard as it will be formatted in the process.

Procedure :

1.Boot into philz recovery

2.Flash the file which is linked here.
    Partition_N7105/T889_16GB_model_only

After flashing the recovery will automatically reboot.

3.Next you will see some mounting errors. Don't worry. Just go to mounts and storage and do this
    Format /data
    Format /system
    Format /sdcard0
    Format /preload

Please don't format /boot /modem or /sdcard1.

4. So after formatting it's all done. Now you can restore nandroid or flash a new rom.

5. If you are having issue restoring your nandroid backup then read this post and do exactly what he says

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53207492

Note: You can still flash bootloaders and modems from odin after doing this re-partioning. No need to flash with pit file.
    However if you want to flash a full rom from odin then pit file is required.

All credits to @ninekaw9 and @forumber2 for their original scripts. You guys are awesome ?

Reverting back to stock partitions is easier now.
    Just flash this zip
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fki6jyi3bpr1ww/Stock_Partitions_N7105_T889.zip

Sorry guys, forgot to add the AOSP thing here. But it's there on n7105 thread. I will add it here when I get time.
    By the way it doesn't matter what bootloader you have. The partitions and their name and size remain the same irrespective of the bootloader.

After