(Q) HELP heimdall not working libusb error: -12

Search This thread
im trying to use heimdall because i bricked i got the screen with phone and computer heimdall recognises the phone and everything but when i get to the part to install the drivers i install and it says successful this is where the problem is when i go to flash i get this error

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -12

how do i fix it anybody any help appreciated

Reactions: marianito10

stephen_w

Jul 24, 2011
Memphis
Make sure you don't have any Samsung drivers installed. Restart the process, but try a different USB port on the PC & see if that helps. Rebooting may help as well.

Reactions: sharmasir

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Rebooting is always a good idea when you have problems. If you are following my guide read the notes about USB ports. Pick one for Heimdall One-Click and don't use it for anything else regarding your phone.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
And no you aren't "borked." People have this problem randomly and the reasons/fixes are also random. Without sitting in front of your computer myself it is hard to diagnose the problem.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Thoroughly uninstalling all drivers, deleting One-Click, running CC Cleaner, and rebooting is a good place to start. Make sure Kies isn't installed. Make sure Samsung drivers isn't installed. You have to uninstall Samsung drivers in 'Uninstall Programs' to get rid of those. I use USBDeview to double check all the drivers for a port I want to use are deleted.

Next it is often USB cord related. Make sure it is not a loooong USB cable. Make sure it is firmly pushed in to the computer and phone. One person had to have his USB connection to the phone more to one side than the other to make it work.

Just keep at it.

richpb7

Jun 5, 2006
Get rid of all the old drivers!

Spot on advice to get rid of Kies and any other Samsung drivers. I've been working on this on and off for days, and finally got there through this last post.

One final thing - I used the Heimdall drivers to overwrite that ones that Windows had put in by default, that was the final touch that got it all working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thoroughly uninstalling all drivers, deleting One-Click, running CC Cleaner, and rebooting is a good place to start. Make sure Kies isn't installed. Make sure Samsung drivers isn't installed. You have to uninstall Samsung drivers in 'Uninstall Programs' to get rid of those. I use USBDeview to double check all the drivers for a port I want to use are deleted.

Next it is often USB cord related. Make sure it is not a loooong USB cable. Make sure it is firmly pushed in to the computer and phone. One person had to have his USB connection to the phone more to one side than the other to make it work.

Just keep at it.
    And consider hitting thanks with the people trying to help you.
    im trying to use heimdall because i bricked i got the screen with phone and computer heimdall recognises the phone and everything but when i get to the part to install the drivers i install and it says successful this is where the problem is when i go to flash i get this error

Initialising connection...
    Detecting device...
    ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -12

how do i fix it anybody any help appreciated
    Are you using Heimdall or Heimdall One-Click?
    Uninstall kies and uninstall the existing usb drivers b4 installing heimdall ones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA