[Q] Dialer issue - phone reboots when making calls

Search This thread

klingsurf

Mar 19, 2011
Bought the Atrix last week and unlocked it with the help from the webshop as I'm in Belgium, no problem connecting to Mobistar wich is my provider and data connections works great. But I'm having real problems making phonecalls and recieving calls; the phone reboots or the dialer hangs and it looks like a call is going on when it's not, phone still works but flashing green in the notification area and it's impossible to hang up, need to reboot. This happens like 80% of the times I try to make a call. After a reboot it works fine to call and hang-up one or two times then it crashes again.
Also noted that my Dialer often runs twice in the Running Apps manager - is that normal??

Anyone having the same issues or know what to do, reinstall the Dialer app --> if so how? Is it a hardware or software problem??

A little more info: when I recieved the device it was in a sealed Atrix box but the phone was used and already had an active Blur account so I had to do a hard reset to be able to use it... --> was it returned 'cause of faulty dialer or radio... then resold to me... not nice if so...? :mad:

Tried to install dialer one app but it seems only to skin the original dialer...
It's a greate device and works great othervice but in the end it's still a phone... which should be able to make calls...
Help :confused:

nazrin313

Mar 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Ive got an unlocked Atrix too and now in Germany, I have the same problem. Motorola should definitely look into this.

Here's a quick fix for it thou, (not permanent)....
1. type *#*#4636#*#* on the dialer
2. Chose Phone Information
3. Set preferred network to GSM only
Viola...its fixed

problem with this fix is that you wont be able to use your 3G network but the dialer should be working.

klingsurf

Mar 19, 2011
Thanks Nazrin (for both replies) !! :)
It sure did the trick, though no data access is not acceptable on a phone like this!!!
So this meens that all unlocked Atrix's in european GSM networks have the same problems? Haven't seen any others reporting this and there are quite a few in use I've noted in other forums.
Was thinking of trying to have mine replaced (which probably won't be easy and take long time...) but that won't change anything then??

We have to wait for the european version of Atrix rom I suppose??

Any others with the same problem??

nazrin313

Mar 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
No problems buddy, glad it worked..and i have to agree with you..this bug is unacceptable...it seems the phone just ***** up everytime it calls on utms (3g)...im sure there is more people with this problem...

Sent from my Supercharged MOTO ATX

_unknown

Aug 29, 2009
I have the same problem

Hi guys, I have the same exact issue (I'm also in Belgium, on Mobistar). I'm somewhat glad to hear this is a generic issue, and not an issue with my specific phone. At least I can be fairly certain replacing it won't solve this issue then.

I made another post here before I came across this one, has a bit more info: we are seeing modem panics when using 3G + outbound call. I've also contacted Motorola support to no avail:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1028771

You can also read there that I tried another operator, and it did not crash with that one (although 3G did disconnect).

Hopefully Motorola/Qualcomm will start to notice the bug when they release the phone globally, and release a fix.

Either that, or we all have phones from the same bad batch :(

nazrin313

Mar 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
This bug is really bad for users in europe....cant call on utms...

I really hope motorola takes this seriously cos if there's no fix via software updates then its moto gone for me

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
Guys, you are all on unlocked att atrix right? I do believe it is a simmiliar software glitch/bug/lock that you have porblems using it on non att networks as the problem with the wifi that it stops working for some of us (check the thread about it for more info). As all suggests there it is a config file problem, unfortunately i or anyone else doesnt know yet which one....

_unknown

Aug 29, 2009
Workaround options

So, since it seems we're not gonna get this fixed until there is a new radio/modem firmware available for flashing (and even then..), I've been looking for a workaround.

Found two potential applications that could do what we need: disable data completely when making an outgoing call, or switch to 2G:

- Sanity
- Superpower

I've tested the first (Sanity), and it does not work (fully). It does seem to disable data, but the bands aren't switched so our problem remains. I've contacted the developer here: http://tagliamonte.net/forum/thread-10.html. He seems to be very responsive, so given enough interest, I think he would add the functionality we require.

The second app I only came across today, and have not tried yet. It does not have a function to specifically switch bands when making an outgoing call, but it has a trigger for "Foreground application", so if we make that the dialer/contacts... Question remains if it will be able to do the switch.

Hopefully one of these will lead to a decent workaround for all of us!

Mar 18, 2011
moscow
reboots on incoming and outgoing calls

Same in Russia on Megafon network, I had to enter 4636 menu and use it as "GSM only". Even this does not fully solve problems, e.g. call forwarding does not show the new destination number while it does actually make the phone divert calls correctly.

My hope is that UK release will trigger new software version which will address this issue. ANYONE has news on this?

_unknown

Aug 29, 2009
FIXED!

YAY! I just fixed this issue :D

What you need to do: flash the radio from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1052914

You have to use RSD-lite, since sbf_flash will not work. Flash the 1.87 baseband and enjoy working HSPA (including unlocked upload speeds ^^)

Now I can finally appreciate this phone fully :D

Enjoy guys!

nazrin313

Mar 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
YAY! I just fixed this issue :D

What you need to do: flash the radio from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1052914

You have to use RSD-lite, since sbf_flash will not work. Flash the 1.87 baseband and enjoy working HSPA (including unlocked upload speeds ^^)

Now I can finally appreciate this phone fully :D

Enjoy guys!

Worked for me as well..brilliant!!!! its working here in germany.....but I wonder the telstra radio will work in my home country with frequencies of 900/2100

elijacob

Jul 19, 2012
Haifa
Motorola Atrix restart when placing a call

I just got the same exact Dialer problem now, but the flash radio file is gone* in the pointed post, and I don't know exactly how to flash the radio.
Someone can help me? I need the radio file and step by step instruction to how to flash it.

BTW my Atrix 4G works perfect for a year till this Dialer problem started past week.
I also use my phone as a full Linux computer when docked, and it works very fine.

Thanks

* The file was on megaupload, that was closed

Last edited:

elijacob

Jul 19, 2012
Haifa
No answer

Why I never got an answer of any post I did?
There is something wrong?:(

Eli

I just got the same exact Dialer problem now, but the flash radio file is gone* in the pointed post, and I don't know exactly how to flash the radio.
Someone can help me? I need the radio file and step by step instruction to how to flash it.

BTW my Atrix 4G works perfect for a year till this Dialer problem started past week.
I also use my phone as a full Linux computer when docked, and it works very fine.

Thanks

* The file was on megaupload, that was closed

nimgalaxy

Aug 27, 2017
Forget about those ways

Bought the Atrix last week and unlocked it with the help from the webshop as I'm in Belgium, no problem connecting to Mobistar wich is my provider and data connections works great. But I'm having real problems making phonecalls and recieving calls; the phone reboots or the dialer hangs and it looks like a call is going on when it's not, phone still works but flashing green in the notification area and it's impossible to hang up, need to reboot. This happens like 80% of the times I try to make a call. After a reboot it works fine to call and hang-up one or two times then it crashes again.
Also noted that my Dialer often runs twice in the Running Apps manager - is that normal??

Anyone having the same issues or know what to do, reinstall the Dialer app --> if so how? Is it a hardware or software problem??

A little more info: when I recieved the device it was in a sealed Atrix box but the phone was used and already had an active Blur account so I had to do a hard reset to be able to use it... --> was it returned 'cause of faulty dialer or radio... then resold to me... not nice if so...? :mad:

Tried to install dialer one app but it seems only to skin the original dialer...
It's a greate device and works great othervice but in the end it's still a phone... which should be able to make calls...
Help :confused:

[Sorry for problem in speaking]

i had that problem too , im using CM13 with Marshmallow Version of android
So . the easy way is :

***** search "Default" in settings. then choose " System dialer" as Default ! just it ****

but if there is no search bar in your setting . try this patch:
Android 6 : Setting/Apps then click the setting icon on top(may be diffrent in your case) , then Click on "default ...." then choose " System dialer" as Default! :fingers-crossed:

but in some cases that it didnt work . they have to reinstall gapps .
Or in official Roms , reset will be usefull :eek:

any quastions?:p