[APP/FRAMEWORK] NOGAPPS Project (NetworkLocation, MapsAPI, Blank Store)

Search This thread

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
I installed the full version, not the setup wizard version, so no ticking. Since I'm not a developer, I don't know which app is using V1. But I guess legacy compatible ones.
But I'm gradually migrating my apps on this new install, so I shall see which ones freeze out.
There is no setup wizard version for NanoDroid. The setup wizard supports you to create a setup file i.e. to customise the later installation in accordance with your desire and requirements. However; you can always manually create the setup file or alter it afterwards (manual).
Even if you were a developer but the respective app weren't open source you wouldn't know, which Maps version it required. Anyhow, my very few apps that need Maps v1 even didn't install unless Maps v1 was available. I'm convinced you'll notice...
I've never used the full NanoDroid module i.e. I don't know if Maps v1 automatically comes with it unless you disable its installation in the setup file.

HemanthJabalpuri

Recognized Contributor

Attachments

• 2018_09_28_23.16.50.png
    2018_09_28_23.16.50.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 2018_09_28_22.52.22.png
    2018_09_28_22.52.22.png
    127 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Mynacol

Sep 9, 2016
@Oswald Boelcke
Sir I am new to microG...
I dont use location & Gps etc..so i dont know about backends...

From the below 2 links ... which is used for MapsAPIv1?
https://github.com/mar-v-in/MapsAPI/releases
https://github.com/microg/android_frameworks_mapsv1/releases

After if we already install microG GmsCore..what is need of Unifiednlp? Since some users and In your Guide you said to install UnifiedNlp.apk.......

Thanks and sorry for my English..
microG GmsCore already includes UnifiedNlp. There is no need to install UnifiedNlp if you already have microG GmsCore

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
@Oswald Boelcke
Sir I am new to microG...
I dont use location & Gps etc..so i dont know about backends...

From the below 2 links ... which is used for MapsAPIv1?
https://github.com/mar-v-in/MapsAPI/releases
https://github.com/microg/android_frameworks_mapsv1/releases

After if we already install microG GmsCore..what is need of Unifiednlp? Since some users and In your Guide you said to install UnifiedNlp.apk.......

Thanks and sorry for my English..

any suggestion for the below screenshots?
First, absolutely no need to apologise for your English skills. English is just used here but isn't certainly the mothertongue for most of us.
Second, if I correctly undrstood you aren't using location at all, neither from GPS nor mobile data/WiFi. In this case you don't need to care at all about the backends and/or UnifiedNlp. And in brief words: UnifiedNlp serves as a provider of location from data of the networks (WiFi and/or mobile data) your device is connected to. And via the backends, you'd provide UnifiedNlp the data that it requires to e.g. relate a specific mobile data tower / cell to a geographic position. And as already correctly stated by @Mynacol, µG GmsCore includes UnifiedNlp. And the OP of the thread, you're obviously referring to, is nearly two years old and things have changed since then. If you check e.g. the "younger" posts in the thread you'll see that I don't install µG any longer manually but by utilisation of one of the "installation tools" (in my case actually as a Magisk module). That leads me to your other question which Maps v1 version to use: Actually I don't know, which one I use as it gets "automatically" (or better I customised the setup of the Magisk module that way) installed with the module. But anyhow, if I had to choose among the different available versions I'd use the latest one.

Although I know that mapping applications can be used without location (as I e.g. also do on my PC), on my mobile device it doesn't really make sense to me. Do you really intend to use applications that require Maps v1 but you aren't interested in your actual geographic location?
Regarding your screenshots: In which respect do you request suggestions?

Reactions: HemanthJabalpuri

HemanthJabalpuri

Recognized Contributor
Do you really intend to use applications that require Maps v1 but you aren't interested in your actual geographic location?
Regarding your screenshots: In which respect do you request suggestions?
Thanks for reply...
I need the Mapsv1 since I am going to make a flashable zip package.. for my device.. So other users who use apps that use Mapsv1 would be helpful for them...

I dont use Nanodroid or other since, they packed with newer GmsCore.. With Latest GmsCore I cannot able to signin...

Going to screenshots..why the options are not ticked?
How I can make that box cheched...?

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
Going to screenshots..why the options are not ticked?
How I can make that box cheched...?
I believe this can have multiple reasons, and I'm unable to assess with the available information. The same or at least a similar issue just recently occured to me when I was for a few days on RR-O-6.0.1 and LOS 15.1 before I reverted to Nougat. Exactly the same boxes weren't ticked but I didn't care or dig into it because location was working in all modes.
Other reasons might be that not all required permissions are granted to the backends you use, whatever backends they are. Pending on the used backends, maybe no database was download, or a backend hasn't received yet sufficient cell information or couldn't relate them to a GPS position? Location is disabled? Just for completeness and possible comparison, I attached screenshots of my backends, their settings and permissions etc.
Maybe these information by @Shadow53 are helpful:
https://shadow53.com/android/no-gapps/faq/location-services-not-working/
https://shadow53.com/android/downloads/microg/ (check the bottom of that page)
https://shadow53.com/android/no-gapps/setup-guide/4/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180930-112448.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112448.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Screenshot_20180930-112454.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112454.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Screenshot_20180930-112505.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112505.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Screenshot_20180930-112514.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112514.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 907
  • Screenshot_20180930-112526.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112526.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 882
  • Screenshot_20180930-112535.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112535.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 822
  • Screenshot_20180930-112544.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112544.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 796
  • Screenshot_20180930-112627.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112627.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 778
  • Screenshot_20180930-112651.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112651.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 747
  • Screenshot_20180930-112826.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112826.png
    127 KB · Views: 813
  • Screenshot_20180930-112758.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112758.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 790
  • Screenshot_20180930-112718.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112718.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 806
  • Screenshot_20180930-112849.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112849.png
    140 KB · Views: 795
  • Screenshot_20180930-112909.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112909.png
    133 KB · Views: 774
  • Screenshot_20180930-112937.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112937.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 746
  • Screenshot_20180930-112950.png
    Screenshot_20180930-112950.png
    131 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

Mynacol

Sep 9, 2016
Sir one last newbie question....

How many backends are needed for a working location..?

Thanks for your help

To be clear: location itself is always working with GPS, but if you want to use Wi-Fi and Cellular tower information, you need at least one backend.
Based on how the backends work you may want to install more than one, but this depends on what you want to have and what the installed backends do.

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
Sir one last newbie question....
How many backends are needed for a working location..?...
I always refrain from asking a "last" question unless I want to terminate my learning process. And adding to @Mynacol valid information, I'm unable to answer your question but I can tell you why I personally use exactly those backends shown in the screenshots of my previous post.
First, there's a backend available called "MozillaNlpBackend" that uses Mozilla Location Services; I tried it a few times but always had issues with it therefore I don't use that. All three backends I use are developed by @n76 who also regularly posts in this thread, and they're available via n76's GitHub-page or on F-Droid. Actually, I only keep the "WiFi Location Service" more or less for nostalgic purposes as it's successor, "Déjà Vu", runs perfectly. However, as its name implies it must have had at least once a chance to correlate a GPS position with mobile cells respectively a known WiFi network. In such cases, Déjà Vu and WiFi Location Service provide a really good resolution that allows me to use location in the "energy saving" mode e.g. at home (also very useful if no GPS is available e.g. due to missing line of sight). "Local GSM Location" uses the known positions of mobile cell towers collected in a data base. I use the one of Mozilla Location Services, filtered to my needs and I update around every quater but only via WiFi due to its size. Local GSM Location determines your position by the mobile cell (tower) your device is booked in i.e. it might be a few hundreds of meters off from your actual position i.e. too far for navigation or mapping but sufficient for e.g. weather applications.
I attached two screenshots from SatStat, the tool that I prefer to check my GPS and/or to update my AGPS data but it's also capable to show the position calculated via network data. The red icon refers to a GPS position, the blue one to network based location. Both screenshots were taken while at home and connected to my home network. For the first screenshot, all three backends were enabled proving that Déjà Vu and WiFi Location Service (already "knowing" the home network) provide a fix as good as GPS. During the second screenshot, Déjà Vu and WiFi Location Service were disabled and only Local GSM Location enabled. The shown network based location is about 2.5 km off my real position.
TL;DR: I personally require two backends: Déjà Vu and Local GSM Location.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181001-090345.jpg
    Screenshot_20181001-090345.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 805
  • Screenshot_20181001-090440.jpg
    Screenshot_20181001-090440.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 796

Fynt1k

Oct 26, 2016
Vinnytsa
I want to use the phone without Gapps, so i have a question.
Phone does not accept messages from viber, telegram, etc when display is turned off, only when i open app i receive message.
How to fix this problem?

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
Phone does not accept messages from viber, telegram, etc when display is turned off, only when i open app i receive message.
How to fix this problem?
I'm not using Viper or Telegram i.e. unable to reproduce your issue. My communications' applications receive notifications even when the device is in deep sleep.
However, I believe this thread is the wrong one for your type of problem; you may want to consider to post it in the µG thread.

Reactions: Fynt1k

lfuentes

Nov 5, 2013
How to fix this problem?
Some people I know have the same problem even with GApps, so I think the problem is other. I have no GApps installed and no porblems with notifications. Try to reinstall those apps with problems.

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
How to fix this problem?
Telegram works completly independend on this stuff. You can try disable battery optimization for that app

Manuela.k

May 4, 2017
Honor Magic4 Pro
Hello, I have a question. MicroG works almost without any problems on the new P40 Pro. Only the GPS localization is not possible. Can this be somehow avoided or fixed. The original store also runs without signature spoofing. Hope someone can help me. Sorry for the English but I'm writing about Google Translater.

ravts

Sep 21, 2021
Does BlankStore allow buing apps from Goole play store? What is the key difference between BlankStore and Aurora Store?
Do I need to unstall Phonesky that is bundled with GmsCore (remove /system/app/Phonesky.apk)? If yes, what happens when I update GmsCore?
Why BlankStore is not on Fdroid? That's a convenient way to update BlankStore.
And the last, why GmsCore includes PhoneSky instead of BlankStore?

Last edited:

Izzysoft

Does BlankStore allow buing apps from Goole play store? What is the key difference between BlankStore and Aurora Store?
BlankStore is long dead. It never allowed to buy apps at Google Play. You can use Aurora Store to install free apps and those you already bought – but buying apps you must do by other means (e.g. via the browser).
Do I need to unstall Phonesky that is bundled with GmsCore (remove /system/app/Phonesky.apk)? If yes, what happens when I update GmsCore?
No, just leave all that untouched.
Why BlankStore is not on Fdroid? That's a convenient way to update BlankStore.
BlankStore is no longer updated AFAIK. And microG has its own F-Droid repo (you can add that to your F-Droid client to keep microG and its components updated – provided the installed version was signed by microG).
And the last, why GmsCore includes PhoneSky instead of BlankStore?
Because BlankStore is dead and, to my knowledge, Phonesky is its successor.

ravts

Sep 21, 2021
Do I need Maps API v1 on the phone? Last version is 0.5 - LEGACY BETA (15.02.2014). Is Maps API v1 now completely deprecated and unused by modern apps?

Izzysoft

Do I need Maps API v1 on the phone? Last version is 0.5 - LEGACY BETA (15.02.2014). Is Maps API v1 now completely deprecated and unused by modern apps?
That Maps API was intended for use with the original NOGAPPS project. I've not installed it anymore for years; AFAIK it's no longer needed with up-to-date microG. But as I no longer use apps from PlayStore, I might just not have noticed where it would be needed; taking my apps from F-Droid, map requests usually go directly to OpenStreetMap. Apart from that, up-to-date apps probably don't use the old v1 API anyway – no idea if it wasn't even deprecated by Google meanwhile.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:
    Most users propably run proprietary apps from Google by one of the three reasons "Stock ROM", "integrated within custom rom" (which may be not entirely legal) or "installed from gapps zip".
    Some of the users know that those gapps do track them more than most other apps as they are system-apps and therefor got full rights on android.
    Only few users use cyanogenmod or another rom without gapps and leave without it. This solution however is not great as you wont get updates for your apps that regularly and all over googles apps are not bad in functionality (but in privacy)

I am one of those who do they everyday work without google stuff and without gapps. I found out several problems:
    • Some apps do not install because of missing Google Maps API
    • Some apps fc at startup bacause of missing Maps API or market license check issues
    • Some apps hardcoded links to several Google Apps and therefor fc or react unexpectedly on certain cases.
    • No access to Play Store (i tried nearly every alternative market, but nothing is as good for free apps as play store) Meanwhile, F-Droid provides nearly everything you need
    So i started developing what i named the NOGAPPS package - a set of applications and frameworks with the goal to fill the gap of missing gapps package.
    This project will be continued under the name microG Project.​

Parts of this project:

Maps API v1
    A replacement of the often used google maps api with an open source one using OpenStreetMap.
    State: Version 0.5 - LEGACY BETA (15.02.2014)
    License: GNU LGPL - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html
    Used Third-Party-Librarys:
    - osmdroid - LGPL​

Network Location
    Geolocation using wlan and data from Apple or a database of gsm phone cells at /sdcard/.nogapps/cells.db
    State: Version 0.1.3.2 - NO LONGER SUPPORTED (11.12.2013) - use µg UnifiedNlp
    License: Apache License 2.0 - http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
    Upcoming features:
    - Select data sources
    - allow disabling wifi based location
    - Add support for Mozilla Location Services
    - Collect cell/wifi location information on device and allow to submit collected information to several services
    - Wire Mobile Protocol Buffers - Apache License 2.0​

BlankStore
    An open source Google Play Store client
    Google may not like this - you're responsible for what you do, i suggest using an extra account for this app :angel:
    State: Version 0.7.5 - LEGACY (9.2.2016) - only critical updates, no new features
    License: Apache License 2.0 - http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
    - android-market-api - Apache License 2.0
    - protobuf - New BSD License​

Not useable yet:
    • LoginService (used by some Tasks/Feed -Apps) [Development]
    • Services Framework [Development]
    • Maps API v2: This time with onboard map rendering, so we can use it offline even for navigation purposes and search

Downloads:
    PROVIDED "AS IS", ... (YOU are responsible for what YOU do!)
    NetworkLocation:
    Latest Release: Check out microG UnifiedNlp

NetworkLocation Database [Old file format] (copy to /sdcard/.nogapps/cells.db):
    -- Based on dumps of opencellid.org and opencellids.org - all credits to those guys there!
    Latest release: Version 2013-01-01: World - Africa - Asia - Australia - Europe (Mirror) - North-America - South-America
    Version 2012-08-27: World - Africa - Asia - Australia - Europe - North-America - South-America
    Version 2012-07-06: World - Africa - Asia - Australia - Europe - North-America - South-America - Germany

Maps API v1
    Latest Release: Version 0.5 - Download [FLASHABLE ZIP] BETA 3
    Version 0.4 - Download [FLASHABLE ZIP] BETA 2 (fixes minor issues)
    Version 0.3 - Download [FLASHABLE ZIP] BETA 1

Blank Store
    Latest Release: Version 0.7.5 - Download [APK]
    Version 0.7.4 - Download [APK]
    Version 0.7.3 - Download [APK]
    Version 0.7.2 - Download [APK]
    Version 0.7.1 - Download [APK]
    Version 0.7.0 - Download [APK]
    Version 0.6.6 - Download [SYSTEM-APK] BETA 3
    Version 0.6.3 - Download [SYSTEM-APK] BETA 2
    Version 0.4.7 - Download [SYSTEM-APK] BETA 1
    Version 0.3.7 - Download [SYSTEM-APK]
    Version 0.3.1 - Download [SYSTEM-APK]

Installation Instructions:
    NetworkLocation
    Install on Android 2.3 - 4.3: Copy NetworkLocation.apk to /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk, reboot to recovery and clean dalvik-cache.
    Install on Android 4.4 and later: Copy NetworkLocation-gms.apk to /system/priv-app/NetworkLocation.apk, reboot to recovery and clean dalvik-cache.
    Use cell locations:: Either download database from above or create your own

Maps API
    Install on Android 2.3 and later: Install the flashable zip from recovery​

Blank Store
    Install on Android 4.0.4 and later: see here
    Generate Android ID: see here

Source Code:
    NetworkLocation - GitHub
    Maps API - GitHub
    BlankStore - GitHub (new dev version: GitHub)
    LoginService GitHub
    Google Client Library GitHub
    Play Store Client Library GitHub

Donations:
    Feel free to donate via PayPal.
    Donators: @haffenloher, "privacy lawyering"
    If your donation is not listed here, this is not because i don't received or honored it, but for privacy reasons. I'll publish only those that explicitly stated that they want to be published (opt-in).​

if anybody is interested in helping me to develop these things or in testing, feel free to leave a pm or comment.
    This project's goal is to make android a real open source project - where real means good for everyday use, without stalking google apps.

MaR-V-iN
    As promised: here is a public testing release for Play Store Client (alias BlankStore)
    Download in OP
    On Android 4.4 replace /system/app with /system/priv-app in the following instructions!
    Installation instructions Requires Android 4.0.4+:
    1. Remove old PlayStore/Market files if needed (using adb shell or as you like):
      • /system/app/Vending.apk
      • /system/app/Phonesky.apk
      • /system/app/com.android.vending.apk
      • /data/app/com.android.vending-*.apk
      • /data/data/com.android.vending (folder)
    2. Copy new com.android.vending.apk to /system/app with permission 644 or rw-r--r--
    3. Reboot
    4. Generate an Android ID
    5. Create an "Google Play Store for BlankStore"-Account via Settings/Accounts&Sync
    6. Launch BlankStore from your Launcher.
    If you get fc while searching, you propably used non-working login data. Delete the account and retry or post a logcat.
    To generate an android id:
    1. On your PC:
    2. Install Java (if not already done)
    3. Download android-checkin-1.0.jar from here
      • On Windows: Download bla.bat into the same folder as android-checkin-1.0.jar and double click it
      • On Linux/OSX: Open a Terminal in the folder where android-checkin-1.0.jar is located and run
        Code:
        java -jar android-checkin-1.0.jar <email> <password>
    One would assume these could be legally integrated into a custom ROM as well?

Yes. I want this to be as open as possible. I am going to publish the sourcecode under apache license when its ready, so everybody is free to change what he likes. (Some of the upstream librarys i use are licensed under gpl so at the moment it seems like not everything can be apache licensed, however gpl should be enough for most usecases and maybe i will recode some of the stuff if need)
    C'mon @MaR-V-iN give us a sign that new Playstore project isn't dead. Please?

It's not dead, but development is paused for the moment. Im focussing on GmsCore right now, which is getting more important every day. I'm pretty sure I won't continue work on Playstore this month, but maybe during July. I'll let you know once a first preview version is out :)