[Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE

Search This thread

randyored

Sep 9, 2010
Sorry, not possible to unlock without wiping. And you can't root if you don't unlock. Just backup your data to your pc and be prepared to set stuff up again. For us flashaholics, the process becomes quite routine, lol.

I think the major question is... If I have a wifi xoom, is it locked? Does it need to be unlocked if there was no carrier lock on it?

breedingh8

Aug 25, 2010
All versions of root require unlocking of the boot loader huh? I I have a mess of Verizon 4g xooms that we need to create like an image for.. Rooting and using TB seems like the best way to go or restoring the /data partition from a nandroid however I do not see anyway around this without unlocking... Any ideas in root a without unlocking or does anyone have any ideas to achieve what I'm trying to do without having to setup each tablet configure vpn, and and install apps corporate emails etc. The thanks in advanced all!

coolthecat

Oct 10, 2009
Columbus,Oh
Solar, I have a Xoom Family Edition. Following your guide, when I check for adb connection I do not get a serial number. I get a $. I've rooted many many times and started with the OG G1 so im not afraid of adb shell or commands. But I am afraid that this model does not have a fastboot. Could you help me kind sir?

thatdudedizzy

Mar 27, 2007
dirty souFF
anyone know why i could be getting, error: cannot load "recovery-tiamat-r4c-1006-1150-cwm.img?, the bootloader unlocked properly as far as i can tell, any help is much appreciated

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
anyone know why i could be getting, error: cannot load "recovery-tiamat-r4c-1006-1150-cwm.img?, the bootloader unlocked properly as far as i can tell, any help is much appreciated
A wild guess, see if your pc is set to hide file extensions. If so, you could be trying to flash recovery-tiamat-cwm.img.img and that wouldn't work. It could be something else, probably very simple. If you're using a guide, go back over it, step by step to see if you missed a step or messed up your syntax by a space or something.

Reactions: thatdudedizzy

thatdudedizzy

Mar 27, 2007
dirty souFF
thanks for the quick response, i was have spent the past hour reading back through everything...seems the fix was making sure fast boot, and .img were in same folder, then making sure to cd/ to the folder they were both in and run the cmd from there...rooted...sweet, i can go to sleep happy now

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
QUOTE: "thanks for the quick response, i was have spent the past hour reading back through everything...seems the fix was making sure fast boot, and .img were in same folder, then making sure to cd/ to the folder they were both in and run the cmd from there...rooted...sweet, i can go to sleep happy now"

OK...brilliant!

Last edited:

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010
I can't see to flash the image! it keeps giving me an error message. Is there another way to root the xoom with out flashing through fastboot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Universal Xoom Root

Thats right, this method will work for any xoom on any update - Including future updates!!!

Note: Unlike the similar method floating around on here, this also gives you an unsecured boot image.

-- Please Note: this thread is still a work in process and has been sped up by the arrival of the 4g Xooms --

Current requirements: adb & fastboot have been setup and you have an external sdcard for your xoom.

1. Setting up adb & fastboot
    Coming Soon! (If you want to write this section for me and pm me it, thats fine !)

2. Downloading the rooting-update zip file.
    Download the zip file from here.
    Now place this on your external sdcard. - Sorry this is a requirement at the moment, like I said this is a bit rushed.
    3. Flashing recovery
    1. Download this Recovery image.
    2. If your device is locked, now is a good time to unlock it.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot reboot

3. Flash recovery
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img
    Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
    Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.

4. Flashing the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file.
    If you're in clockwork mod recovery you can continue (This recovery image will say it is clockwork mod) . If you're not looking at clockwork mod, then you need to repeat step 3 again.

In cwm, go into "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
    Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

Reboot your device and then welcome to your rooted device!

Downloads
    Universal Xoom root - version 1.0
    thanks for this working on my Dad's MZ600

btw I uploaded the Universal Root it seems all links here are broken :)
    This was also tested on a 4G Xoom and is working 100%.
    I've updated the zip file with a ICS compatible su binary.
    I haven't tested personally but it should work.