FORUMS
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a PURE AOSP ROM build guide. I have opted not to post an actual AOSP ROM based on 6.0.0 due to the fact I just dont care for it much. The instructions are up to date as of 10/21/2015

Deprecated-> This thread is about learning to build your own ROM following the instructions in post #2. The ROM posted in this thread is for example output. Feel free to download and use the ROMS @GROGG88 and I build! Feel free to try and build your own. We will try to help!

Quick Change Log
  • 10/21 - Updated guide to reflect Android version 6.0.0_r1. No ROM for download (at this time).
  • 1/17 - Updated build with official 5.0.2 Binaries. Fixed Browser "Settings" crash.
  • 12/19 - Updated my Flo builds to Android 5.0.2_r1
  • 12/9 - Updated my Flo build. Will not be doing a Deb Build any more.
  • 12/2 @GROGG88 has updated his builds. I have not! I will update tomorrow. I did however get thefactory stock rooted ROM up HERE!
  • 11/18 - @GROGG88 and I have joined forces to create two ROMS! I will be creating PURE AOSP ROMS and he will be creating Modified ROMS with many useful features! Each ROM can als be user built because all commits are shared in post #2!!!
  • 11/15 - B8 - Updated the 5.0.0_r6. Deb is only using preview binaries due to lack of final binary files.
  • 11/14 - B7 - Updated the 5.0.0_r5. Deb is only using preview binaries due to lack of final binary files.
  • 11/10 - B6 - File system install instead of block install, Added Google Location Services to framework, Fixed a root issue that couple DEB users were having
  • 11/9 - B5 - Changed wallpaper again. Fixed stock recovery at source level (Thanks to @Gnome and @GROGG88)
  • 11/8 - B4 - Changed wallpaper to android 5 Wallpaper, fixed reverting to stock recovery (No need for save-recovery.zip), pre-rooted boot.img (No need for extra boot.img!)
  • 11/7 - B3 - Removed it. Bad files. Reverted back to Build 2.
  • 11/5 - B2 -- Fixed MTP bug that google has left in every version of AOSP, made ROM recovery flashable and added 2 zips to the OP
  • 11/4 - B1 - Update to 5.0.0_r2. PC install via fastboot

Additional Downloads
  • Root by @Chainfire HERE!
  • Gapps for Lollipop HERE! There may be others so shop around!
  • Stericson's Busybox in flashable zip format is attached! Thanks to @Stericson for the binaries!

Quote:

Quote:

[B][I][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="6"]

@GROGG88's Special Builds are HERE!

MOD EDIT: Link removed as domain has expired. Thread closed until new links can be installed

Please hit Thanks! It just as easy as hitting Download!

Attached Files
File Type: zip BusyBox-1.22.1-Stericson.zip - [Click for QR Code] (730.0 KB, 14042 views)
File Type: zip Bootloader-4.05-TWRP-Flashable.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.20 MB, 480 views)
The Following 413 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
7th October 2013, 11:46 PM |#2  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 66,529

Donate to Me
More
Ubuntu 14.04 Set up and Build Guide

Updated 11/05/2014

Feel free to ask any questions about the build process. Do not ask questions about Ubuntu!

This guide assumes the following
  1. Have Ubuntu 14.04 setup, fully operation, and up to date. Hard Machine or Virtual, makes no difference. Must meet the minimum specs for compiling. Info from Google HERE
  2. Understand terminal command line entry as this is all command line processors.
  3. You are not here to ask for help with Linux, only the Android build process!

Add Java
Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

Add Build tools (Adds the required packages at the time of this posting)
Code:
sudo apt-get install git gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
  zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \
  libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 \
  libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos \
  python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386

Add Repo command (Syncs Google Repository with your local machine)
Code:
mkdir ~/bin && curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo && chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Add bin folder to path for repo command (After you do this close Terminal and re-open to institute changes (easy way))
Code:
sudo gedit .bashrc
export PATH=~/bin:$PATH <-(add to end of bashrc)
Identify Yourself to the Repo (One day you may make commits so think about that when choosing your info!)
Code:
git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
git config --global user.name "yourpreferredusername"
Synch Repo (Download source... Sit back and grab a pop and a sandwich...)
Code:
mkdir ~/AOSP
cd ~/AOSP
repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-6.0.0_r1
repo sync
Note: I use AOSP as my directory name. You can use what you want. You could use "aosp" or "Source" or "android" or "whateveryoulike"

Install proprietary binaries (Needed for things like GPS and Bluetooth, they are not Open Source like android) (Install proprietary binaries from here in the root of AOSP folder (or whatever you called yours))

Run envsetup.sh
Code:
source build/envsetup.sh
Choose Device
Code:
lunch
Build it!
Code:
make -j8 otapackage

See Build Notes and ramblings from me in post #3!
The Following 83 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 11:59 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Dumb question:

I'm trying to build an AOSP userdebug variant with lunch.

But "make otapackage" appears to be an invalid build target. Further, flashing the kernel file + ramdisk.img as raw and then manually flashing the rest (userdata.img, system.img, and cache.img) leaves me with something that boots into an un-mountable file system. (adb shell comes back with "/system/bin/sh not found")

So, how does one make an OTA package from AOSP? Or is that even the right question?

Thanks,
Mike
9th November 2013, 01:12 AM |#4  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by themikem

Dumb question:

I'm trying to build an AOSP userdebug variant with lunch.

But "make otapackage" appears to be an invalid build target. Further, flashing the kernel file + ramdisk.img as raw and then manually flashing the rest (userdata.img, system.img, and cache.img) leaves me with something that boots into an un-mountable file system. (adb shell comes back with "/system/bin/sh not found")

So, how does one make an OTA package from AOSP? Or is that even the right question?

Thanks,
Mike

Did you do this: source build/envsetup.sh

Then this: lunch (choose 9?).

then run the make otapackage?

I would hazard that you did not and that you built for the emulator.
9th November 2013, 01:31 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler

Did you do this: source build/envsetup.sh

Then this: lunch (choose 9?).

then run the make otapackage?

I would hazard that you did not and that you built for the emulator.

I did do those, yes. I've built Cyanogen and custom kernels frequently, but I've never bothered with AOSP (mostly because I didn't own a Nexus device until a few days ago...) I did lunch, picked the deb build, and ran make -j32 otapackage.

I'm not really sure what the problem was, but I deleted the tree and did a fresh repo clone and it makes ota zips now. Maybe just a bad download or something? Anyway, sorry for wasting your time. Keep up the great work. I'll be following this looking for camera and keyboard fixes
15th November 2013, 02:59 PM |#6  
Flag Namur, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:

Ubuntu 13.10 Set up and Build Guide

Add Java

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-java6-installer
java -version

Java6 is outdated, I recommend to install oracle-java7-installer to get the latest update (u45 at the time).

the command "java -version" is pretty useless since it will only show what version of java you are running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vaykadji For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Vaykadji Ad-Free
15th November 2013, 08:31 PM |#7  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaykadji

Java6 is outdated, I recommend to install oracle-java7-installer to get the latest update (u45 at the time).

the command "java -version" is pretty useless since it will only show what version of java you are running.

Thanks but last time I tried AOSP wont build with Java 7.

Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald476

Have you tested a build with java7? I think the command is more to verify that java was installed properly and the path was set.

Yep! Exactly!
15th November 2013, 11:09 PM |#8  
Flag Lansing
Thanks Meter: 513

More
Quote:

Thanks but last time I tried AOSP wont build with Java 7.

Thanks though!

Yep! Exactly!

Scott, thank you so much for this, between you, Jak and others I was able to build for the first time and now I am trying to get that hang of GIT now.

Sent from my AOSP on Flo using Tapatalk 4
15th November 2013, 11:27 PM |#9  
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald476

Scott, thank you so much for this, between you, Jak and others I was able to build for the first time and now I am trying to get that hang of GIT now.

Sent from my AOSP on Flo using Tapatalk 4

If you learn git, let me know. I cant understand it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
7th March 2015, 11:35 PM |#10  
Flag DFW, TX
Thanks Meter: 266

More
@scrosler, so after I do this:
Code:
make -j8 otapackage
It just sits with the > prompt and a blinking curser. Is there anything I need to do from here? Or is it building and I need to let it sit?

Thanks,
Alfred

Edit: oh, is your avatar an Air Force patch?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)