[FIX] Unbrick captivate w/o cutting up USB!

Search This thread

ademarne

Nov 22, 2010
WA
I have discovered a cheaper and less destructive way to unbrick the totally bricked captivate using only 3 resistors, THAT IS IT! No need to cut up your USB cord, JUST 3 resistors.

Below are the steps and pics:

YOUTUBE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO

1. Go to your local Radio Shack and purchase a pack of 100k ohm resistors, the colors should read Brown/Black/yellow/gold (see pic 1)

2. Take 2 of the resistors and twist them together

3. Take the third resistor and twist it onto the other 2 to make a straight line of 3 resistors

4. Bend the 3 resistors into a teardrop shape (see pic 2)

5. Set down a piece of tape and place the tips as close together as possible without touching while leaving about a quarter inch of each tip exposed, this will take some patience and adjusting (see pic 3) *tip: try putting a piece of tape or two in between the tips so that they do not touch each other*

6. Once the tips are set correctly tape both sides of the tear drop so no metal is left exposed. If your skin touches the metal it reduces the resistance of the jig and will not work.

7. Remove external sd, sim card and battery. Then replace battery and DO NOT touch the power button.

8. Carefully touch the two tips of the jig to the two copper plates of the micro usb slot closest to the headphone jack for about 3 seconds (this will also take some time and patience) *tip: use the other side of the micro usb port to brace against to hold the jig in place*

9. The phone should now go directly into download mode

9a. If your phone build number is BELOW 1010 continue following this guide.

9b. If your phone build number is 1010 or ABOVE follow this guide to flash back to stock.

10. Open odin3 on your computer

11. Plug usb into your phone, after odin says "added" click start to flash the stock rom.

12. Profit!

This fix as opposed to the others only costs $.99 and uses ONLY 3 resistors, NO CUTTING OR SOLDERING. Other fixes suggest hacking up your micro USB cable to use as a connection but i found that to be unnecessary.

As snapplefish has pointed out the desired resistance for this to work is 301K ohms, not 300K. HOWEVER, I and almost everyone else here has been able to only use the 3-100K ohm resistors. IF you are having trouble getting this to work, AND you have made sure you are using 100K ohm resistors, try measuring the resistance of your jig by using a multimeter. IF your resistance is below 298 or so try adding a 1K ohm resistor to your jig and remeasure the resistance of your jig.

Thanks to everyone who came up with the 301k ohm resistor method, saved me from a $500 paperwieght!

If this has helped you please give me a thanks :)

Cheers and happy flashing,
Alex

Last edited:

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
I hope I don't ever need to use a jig but this is a great alternative to other methods. You do need to have the USB plugged in prior to touching the resistors correct since that is not stated? Common sense says yes but I figured I would be the idiot to ask haha:D

norcal einstein

Jan 19, 2009
Bay Area
Well he's actually fishing around inside the phone's MicroUSB port to touch pins 4&5. So no, in this case...you don't need to have a USB cable plugged in.

But with other JIGs including mine, you plug the JIG into the phone.

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
Well he's actually fishing around inside the phone's MicroUSB port to touch pins 4&5. So no, in this case...you don't need to have a USB cable plugged in.

But with other JIGs including mine, you plug the JIG into the phone.

I have never been able to have Odin work without it being open and having the USB plugged in when getting to download mode. How will this work if you get download mode prior to the USB being plugged in for Odin to recognize?

This is my captivate. There are many like it but this one is mine.

norcal einstein

Jan 19, 2009
Bay Area
I frequently use my JIG to get into Download mode to flash with Odin. For me, plug a JIG in to force Download Mode. Remove JIG, connect phone to a computer running Odin. The phone should be "added" in Odin and you should be able to flash away. I actually just did this last night as well.

avs420

Dec 15, 2010
I frequently use my JIG to get into Download mode to flash with Odin. For me, plug a JIG in to force Download Mode. Remove JIG, connect phone to a computer running Odin. The phone should be "added" in Odin and you should be able to flash away. I actually just did this last night as well.

True story. This guy makes good JIGs. I was very impressed with it. Tested it a few times and threw it back in the Samsung box.

I phone--/triangle\--PC bricked my first Captivate. Odin 2.1 got stuck on "Setting PIT" and I was able to return it (had it a week and claimed it did it on an OTA update lol). I had the 3 button download disabled (probably a 1008-1010, I have a 1010 now) and couldn't get into download mode so I could've saved the first phone but no one was building JIGs yet

Anyhow, I don't *NEED* it, but I'm GLAD I have it. I'd probably not flash without one.

norcal einstein

Jan 19, 2009
Bay Area
No luck so far. Will keep trying.

For this to work, you need to have ~300kohm of resistance across pins 4 and 5 for at least 4 seconds. You cant touch bare metal on the resistors, or you'll change the overall resistance.

Yes, this is a cheaper implementation of a JIG, but it's also a little harder to use compared to if you were to just cut up a MicroUSB plug.

ademarne

Nov 22, 2010
WA
I hope I don't ever need to use a jig but this is a great alternative to other methods. You do need to have the USB plugged in prior to touching the resistors correct since that is not stated? Common sense says yes but I figured I would be the idiot to ask haha:D

I just opened odin, used the jig to get the phone into download mode, then plugged the phone into the computer and it worked. Make sure odin is open first before you plug it in though.

For this to work, you need to have ~300kohm of resistance across pins 4 and 5 for at least 4 seconds. You cant touch bare metal on the resistors, or you'll change the overall resistance.

Yes, this is a cheaper implementation of a JIG, but it's also a little harder to use compared to if you were to just cut up a MicroUSB plug.

You are correct, this is cheaper and I figured it would take me about a half an hour to cut up the usb and another 3 to 5 days to recieve another one through amazon so this was a quicker way and maybe a tad harder.

This took me a total of 5 mins on the ****ter to make and 15-20 mins of adjusting and trying until I was able to get it to work. This seems like the quickest overall and easiest way to make a download jig, but if you have more money then time just buy a pre-made jig.

This isn't going to work for me. No metal has been touched, using exact resistors as described and touched pins 4+5 together. Oh well, new device should be here in 2 days.

Make sure each tip is only touching ONE pin. They should not touch together or it will short circuit and not work. In my jig there is a small maybe 1mm or less gap in between each tip.

z28james

Jun 13, 2009
After messing with the spacing I was able to consistently put my phone into download mode. I also put some tape between the prongs to ensure they didn't touch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

ademarne

Nov 22, 2010
WA
After messing with the spacing I was able to consistently put my phone into download mode. I also put some tape between the prongs to ensure they didn't touch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Glad to hear it! :D

I also put some tape in between the two tips but wasn't sure if it did anything.

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
I always do it just never would work when I wouldn't have the usb plugged in at the same time of download mode. But if it ever becomes the case I will surely give the jig a try. Thanks for the info.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have discovered a cheaper and less destructive way to unbrick the totally bricked captivate using only 3 resistors, THAT IS IT! No need to cut up your USB cord, JUST 3 resistors.

Below are the steps and pics:

YOUTUBE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO

1. Go to your local Radio Shack and purchase a pack of 100k ohm resistors, the colors should read Brown/Black/yellow/gold (see pic 1)

2. Take 2 of the resistors and twist them together

3. Take the third resistor and twist it onto the other 2 to make a straight line of 3 resistors

4. Bend the 3 resistors into a teardrop shape (see pic 2)

5. Set down a piece of tape and place the tips as close together as possible without touching while leaving about a quarter inch of each tip exposed, this will take some patience and adjusting (see pic 3) *tip: try putting a piece of tape or two in between the tips so that they do not touch each other*

6. Once the tips are set correctly tape both sides of the tear drop so no metal is left exposed. If your skin touches the metal it reduces the resistance of the jig and will not work.

7. Remove external sd, sim card and battery. Then replace battery and DO NOT touch the power button.

8. Carefully touch the two tips of the jig to the two copper plates of the micro usb slot closest to the headphone jack for about 3 seconds (this will also take some time and patience) *tip: use the other side of the micro usb port to brace against to hold the jig in place*

9. The phone should now go directly into download mode

9a. If your phone build number is BELOW 1010 continue following this guide.

9b. If your phone build number is 1010 or ABOVE follow this guide to flash back to stock.

10. Open odin3 on your computer

11. Plug usb into your phone, after odin says "added" click start to flash the stock rom.

12. Profit!

This fix as opposed to the others only costs $.99 and uses ONLY 3 resistors, NO CUTTING OR SOLDERING. Other fixes suggest hacking up your micro USB cable to use as a connection but i found that to be unnecessary.

As snapplefish has pointed out the desired resistance for this to work is 301K ohms, not 300K. HOWEVER, I and almost everyone else here has been able to only use the 3-100K ohm resistors. IF you are having trouble getting this to work, AND you have made sure you are using 100K ohm resistors, try measuring the resistance of your jig by using a multimeter. IF your resistance is below 298 or so try adding a 1K ohm resistor to your jig and remeasure the resistance of your jig.

Thanks to everyone who came up with the 301k ohm resistor method, saved me from a $500 paperwieght!

If this has helped you please give me a thanks :)

Cheers and happy flashing,
    Alex
    When is the next "flashaholics anonymous meeting"? I'd like to attend too :)
    Trying this tonight. Will update.

No luck so far. Will keep trying.
    If your getting the ATT world phone, that is a good sign, so it will work. Just make sure your not touching the wires to the resistors, which if you are, your changing the resistance and that is what causing the normal boot up.

This is correct, make sure you are not touching any bare metal, hence the tape, otherwise you are lowering the resistance and the jig does not work.
    Okay guys, I have gotten it into DL mode twice now, but each time after I flash it does the exact same thing again. I am using "I897UCJF6-final-OCD-REV0" which I got from here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731989

When I hit start it does what it is supposed to do, then the phone restarts and goes back into its cycle... What do I need to do now?

Try this:
    1. Pull battery
    2. Leave battery out and press and hold power button for 5 sec
    3. Replace battery
    4. Turn phone on

Also, what is the build number on your phone? when the battery is out there should be a 4 digit code on the label on the phone (ie. 1007, 1009, 1010) If it is 1010 I think there is a different procedure for getting back to stock once in download mode.