[Q] S3 device status detected as "modified" after JB update yesterday night.

Search This thread

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
Re: [Q] S3 device status detected as "modified" after JB update yesterday night.

I already tried to format my sd card to fat32... It helps a lot... But at some point, I got the same problem... I can put more files before I get the problem... But I will eventually have it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
works well for me now. Even with root.
the reason I have so many files is because I moved my games to the sdcard und remount the directories with directory bind.
But I also wanted to use exfat because of movies...

Last edited:

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
Re: [Q] S3 device status detected as "modified" after JB update yesterday night.

I already tried to format my sd card to fat32... It helps a lot... But at some point, I got the same problem... I can put more files before I get the problem... But I will eventually have it.

I tried it again yesterday... And it's fine now...
Last time I tried it, my card became unreadable after a crash of the phone when I was trying to read some file on my computer while my phone was connected with a usb cable.

Will see now if if I get the same problem later.

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
Last time I tried it, my card became unreadable after a crash of the phone when I was trying to read some file on my computer while my phone was connected with a usb cable.

well that's the biggest weakness of fat32. the worse stability.
Anyway, I contacted Samsung about the problem. They told me to temporary remove the SDcard in order to make an OTA update.
otherwise the changed status wouldn't be bad and doesn't matter since the phone itself isn't modified (well in my case it is but they didn't know :p).

Last edited:

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for the tips, I'm using a Samsung class10 64gb microSDXC but FAT32 wasn't available when I connect it with my pc :) Only NTFS and exFAT were there. So I performed a full format with exFAT file system but didn't help. System status is still unstable in device. Any suggestion?

(btw if I remember correctly, FAT32 had limits like max 4gb per file etc. do you get such limitations?)

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
well that's the biggest weakness of fat32. the worse stability.
Anyway, I contacted Samsung about the problem. They told me to temporary remove the SDcard in order to make an OTA update.
otherwise the changed status wouldn't be bad and doesn't matter since the phone itself isn't modified (well in my case it is but they didn't know :p).

it didn't last very long...
my phone took a 50% battery hit last night.
I rebooted the phone (power off and power on) in the morning to make sure everything was fine... the process that scans the card took a lot of time to complete (more than usual)... and after it finished working, the card was not accessible... it was unmounted automatically... I tried to mount it and the phone rebooted itself.
I removed the card... put it into my laptop and the card was not readable...

So I'm back to square one... I reformatted my card with extFAT. It always worked with this format except for the "modified" status.

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal

I found something interesting today... After 24h of uptime, status will go back to normal by itself... If I reboot the phone, it will go back to modified.

SunShiner

Apr 13, 2013
Sorry for pulling that out after three month of inactivity in that thread, but I think it may be interesting to see if Samsung phones in the future got this too.

I can confirm the problem on the Note 2, Android 4.1.2. Same issues like reported above.
I do have another fact to it, why this happens.If you insert a SD Card the system uses the card for saving and backing up like it normally uses the phone.The issue takes places every time the card and cache are almost full o like every time the phone says that it's full (without SD Card) and you may have a little bit of lack in handling until you delete something, the same problem it has with a card insert, but somehow it doesn't report it to you but it creates a problem.

I don't think ta it depends on how fast it reads and writes to the card, because is the card empty or half packed with things it doesn't matter to the phone at all.If you reboot without clearing the cache the phone status can't change because the problem is still there.

When I restart with cleaning the cache I got status normal with the card insert, but when the cache get a higher level it changes to modified.But I could be complete wrong.

Would be nice to know how the S4 does.

plctech

Nov 13, 2012
fordham, essex
this was my fix...

root phone using CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar

install triangle away

in the list of options is a check box that says

system modified workaround.

tick that box then run triangle away.

when you restart the phone your phone should now say device status normal.

the phone is temporarily unrooted so run software update.

your phone will either update or you'll get a message saying the phone is up to date.

after about 15 minutes goto superSU and unroot the phone.

delete triangle away and superSU in aplications manager.

my phone is still showing as normal.

good luck

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-55-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-55-29.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 50
G

GuestK00261

root phone using CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar

install triangle away

in the list of options is a check box that says

system modified workaround.

tick that box then run triangle away.

when you restart the phone your phone should now say device status normal.

the phone is temporarily unrooted so run software update.

your phone will either update or you'll get a message saying the phone is up to date.

after about 15 minutes goto superSU and unroot the phone.

delete triangle away and superSU in aplications manager.

my phone is still showing as normal.

good luck

Flashing this zip will brick your device if you try to use a GT i9300 zip, if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jimchee

Mar 17, 2010
you need to use the cf autoroot for your S3 model use the tar and flash with odin

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts