Search This thread

king231

Feb 11, 2013
Hyderabad
Google Pixel 7
I don't think asus would update us with 4.2.2 but i guess they would update us with 4.2.1 and may be they would never give us 4.2.2. We never had 4.0.4 when we were on ice cream sandwich, we only had 4.0.3. And on 4.1, i don't think they'll ever give a 4.1.2 update but they would update it directly to 4.2 and again some line of updates but i don't think they would ever update 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 or 4.2.1 to 4.2.2.

C3jay

Jun 25, 2011
I don't think asus would update us with 4.2.2 but i guess they would update us with 4.2.1 and may be they would never give us 4.2.2. We never had 4.0.4 when we were on ice cream sandwich, we only had 4.0.3. And on 4.1, i don't think they'll ever give a 4.1.2 update but they would update it directly to 4.2 and again some line of updates but i don't think they would ever update 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 or 4.2.1 to 4.2.2.

Had to read this 3 times to get it with all numbers lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ghorin

Aug 8, 2012
Lol, i was confused also. And i wonder if first number should not be 4.1.2 instead of of 4.2.2.

Nb : i'm 4.2.8 years old (42 years and 8 months) that could explain my confusion with my old brain ;)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

king231

Feb 11, 2013
Hyderabad
Google Pixel 7
Oops! Sorry for that guys but I guess you understood what it was. I just wanted to say asus just updated the device only with the first version of any major firmwares.
It would be a direct jump from 4.1.1 to 4.2.

Ghorin

Aug 8, 2012
Yep don't worry ;)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

BossMafia2

Jun 15, 2010
4.2 is pretty iffy firmware. A lot of devices running it 3rd party have issues with it. Heck, even the three devices running it officially have some issues. I think a lot of manufacturers are waiting till Google gets some things ironed out before adapting to it.

CM10.1 is as close as you can get to native without it coming directly from Asus, and even there some things don't work right (e.g. very strange issues with multiple users etc)

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I'm not sure what bugs you are referring to - I run 4.2 on my N7 and it runs perfectly... Any particular examples?

Thanks.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
I'm not sure what bugs you are referring to - I run 4.2 on my N7 and it runs perfectly... Any particular examples?

Thanks.

You can look at this link to see what I am talking about. I am sure Google is working to address all of those problems and fixed important issues like missing December in the calendar in 4.2.1 and Bluetooth issue in 4.2.2, but as far as I know, no other version of Android has been launched with so many problems.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
You can look at this link to see what I am talking about. I am sure Google is working to address all of those problems and fixed important issues like missing December in the calendar in 4.2.1 and Bluetooth issue in 4.2.2, but as far as I know, no other version of Android has been launched with so many problems.

Wow - either you haven't been around Android very long or you've never personally used versions before Ice Cream Sandwich! Previous versions of Android (pre-ICS) were not exactly known for their stability and were nowhere near bug-free! Even ICS was a lot less stable than 4.2.2 (in my experience).

Android 4.2.2 is actually extremely stable and bug free in comparison to previous versions of Android. I'd venture to say the exact opposite (and again, coming from an active user of 4.2.2) - Android 4.2.2 is probably the least bugged version of Android to date.

I would like to check out the link you are referring to though!

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
Wow - either you haven't been around Android very long or you've never personally used versions before Ice Cream Sandwich! Previous versions of Android (pre-ICS) were not exactly known for their stability and were nowhere near bug-free! Even ICS was a lot less stable than 4.2.2 (in my experience).

Android 4.2.2 is actually extremely stable and bug free in comparison to previous versions of Android. I'd venture to say the exact opposite (and again, coming from an active user of 4.2.2) - Android 4.2.2 is probably the least bugged version of Android to date.

I would like to check out the link you are referring to though!

I think it is safe to say that our discussion is based mainly on personal experience, which explains the difference in our opinions. From what I can understand, your experiences are from using Nexus devices, while devices I have used are mainly HTC and Samsung. I have used every single version of Android since 2.1 to the latest 4.2.2 (on my Sensation, abeit through CM10.1), and to me 4.2 is the version that has the biggest problem with Bluetooth performance, among other things. And frankly, if you follow tech blogs like Engadget, The Verge, etc..., you ought to realize that there are quite a lot of articles talking about bugs that 4.2 introduces (probably as much as iOS 6). Seriously, ICS and 4.1 did not manage to attract that kind of attention.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I think it is safe to say that our discussion is based mainly on personal experience, which explains the difference in our opinions. From what I can understand, your experiences are from using Nexus devices, while devices I have used are mainly HTC and Samsung. I have used every single version of Android since 2.1 to the latest 4.2.2 (on my Sensation, abeit through CM10.1), and to me 4.2 is the version that has the biggest problem with Bluetooth performance, among other things. And frankly, if you follow tech blogs like Engadget, The Verge, etc..., you ought to realize that there are quite a lot of articles talking about bugs that 4.2 introduces (probably as much as iOS 6). Seriously, ICS and 4.1 did not manage to attract that kind of attention.

Again, I wholeheartedly disagree... The N7 is the only Nexus device I've owned. Previously, I used no-name tablets, Asus tablets (original TF101, which came with Honeycomb, which was bug-ridden), and an HTC phone (which runs ICS and is also bug-ridden). All have had far more bugs and instability than 4.2.2 in my experience.

You are basing you entire opinion based on what you read on the net, at least for 4.2.2 (I keep thinking of that damn State Farm ad - you know the one - "he's a French model"!). I'm basing my opinion on actual usage (of both previous versions and 4.2). You really can't go by your experience with CM10 - it is no longer Android 4.2.2 and introduces it's own bugs and issues.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

Anyone else care to give their experiences of previous versions vs. 4.2(.2) in terms of stability? Maybe it's just me....

EDIT - By the way, I don't experience any of the issues reported in that link. Well, actually, the N7 auto-brightness has never worked very well on the N7, but I think that is a hardware-design flaw, not an Android issue (since the problem is not 4.2 specific).

Last edited:
Reactions: j7jman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google replaced the Bluetooth stack in 4.2 and effectively destroyed Bluetooth on many devices. Google is now trying to correct the problem and have announced that 4.2.2 will be out shortly, whatever that means, and have a fix.

So I would think that no devices will be getting 4.2 for some time until Google works out its self-caused Bluetooth disaster.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/android-4-2-on-nexus-7-has-broken-bluetooth-users-complain-50009768/

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39633

http://www.blue-creation.com/blog/android-dumps-bluez-and-integrates-broadcom-bluedroid-stack/

http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s721534

I own a nexus 7 in addition to a TF700. It is running 4.2.1. The new Bluetooth stack brings back lag on streaming audio - particularly Neflix

There are partial fixes like occasionally clearing the cache on the Bluetooth service/software, and frequently restarting Bluetooth - but its a pain and it doesn't work well.

So be careful what you wish for....
    So I'm loving my tf700, but supprised is still 4.1. Has there been any sign of 4.2 coming?

Sent from my Xperia S using XDA Premium HD app

Nope, no sign, no smoke signal yet.....
    Multi-User support?

Again, I wholeheartedly disagree... The N7 is the only Nexus device I've owned. Previously, I used no-name tablets, Asus tablets (original TF101, which came with Honeycomb, which was bug-ridden), and an HTC phone (which runs ICS and is also bug-ridden). All have had far more bugs and instability than 4.2.2 in my experience.

You are basing you entire opinion based on what you read on the net, at least for 4.2.2 (I keep thinking of that damn State Farm ad - you know the one - "he's a French model"!). I'm basing my opinion on actual usage (of both previous versions and 4.2). You really can't go by your experience with CM10 - it is no longer Android 4.2.2 and introduces it's own bugs and issues.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

Anyone else care to give their experiences of previous versions vs. 4.2(.2) in terms of stability? Maybe it's just me....

EDIT - By the way, I don't experience any of the issues reported in that link. Well, actually, the N7 auto-brightness has never worked very well on the N7, but I think that is a hardware-design flaw, not an Android issue (since the problem is not 4.2 specific).