How to improve speakers quality (balance, bass, clarity) [7 / 7T / 7 Pro]

Search This thread

Embox

Feb 17, 2019
It's possible to significantly improve loudspeakers sound quality and fix imbalance with hidden Dolby Atmos settings.
Follow any or both steps below (good for all Oneplus 7 series).

STEP 1: Fix stereo imbalance (ROOT is required)
The top loudspeaker sounds louder and crispier than bottom (moreover, the top rattles more at high volume). This can be fixed by editing dax_sqlite3.db with any SQLite editor:
Code:
/data/vendor/dolby/dax_sqlite3.db
I used SQLite Editor app:
1. Open dax_sqlite3.db and go to "tunings".
2. Open record with "speaker_landscape_normal" and edit 2 parameters, then save.
  • Replace audio_optimizer_gain_l with new value:
    Code:
    -56,0,40,16,8,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,-16
  • Replace audio_optimizer_gain_r with new value:
    Code:
    Each number separated by comma = gain in dB * 16 (i.e. "32" means "+2 db", "-16" means "-1 db").
3. (OPTIONAL - may be useless on your rom) Analogically replace the same parameters for the records "speaker_portrait_normal", "speaker_landscape_India", "speaker_portrait_India".
4. Reboot. That's it! :)

If something goes wrong (or you dislike new sound), just remove dax_sqlite3.db and reboot. Dolby will re-create it and return all default settings. Details about this edit:
We change overal speaker output optimization. Practically it's 20-band EQ for each physical speaker (audio_optimizer_gain_l = top).
So we reset both EQs to sound equally neutral, but keep the top speaker ~2 db lower.

STEP 2: Enable graphic EQ for speakers
You can activate dolby atmos equalizer for loudspeakers (available only for headphones by default) to get more bassy and clean sound.
If you don't have ROOT, use this DAX2 app: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-7t/how-to/dolby-atmos-equaliser-7t-hd1903-root-t4054999
You will have to disable/freeze built-in dolby tuner for full functionality (see tips also in that thread).
If you have ROOT, I recommend the method below. It relies on internal dolby app and will work in all modes (dynamic/movie/music + ringtone).
You'll need to edit sound_tuner.db with any SQLite editor:
Code:
/data/data/com.oneplus.sound.tuner/databases/sound_tuner.db
Again with SQLite Editor app:
1. Open sound_tuner.db, then go to "sound_tuner" and edit the line with "speaker_device".
2. Change values for "headphone_style_preferred" ("Intelligent style") and "audio_frequency" (EQ itself), then save changes.
  • headphone_style_preferred keeps value from 0 to 3 (0 - balance, 1 - warmer, etc), "0" is recommended.
  • audio_frequency keeps a string with each band gain in dB, separated with '#' without spaces. Recommendation for 7T:
    Code:
    4.4#6.5#0.0#-7.8#-6.5#-5.0#-4.5#-4.0#-3.6#-4.0
    Don't use "7.0" or higher for first three bands - it will harm the speakers at high volumes.
3. To apply EQ switch current mode in Dolby Atmos settings (e.g. Music to Dynamic). That's it! :)
To reset EQ you can return "0#0#0#0#0#0#0#0#0#0" in "audio_frequency".

Last edited:

grandpajiver

Sep 3, 2013
Milwaukee
Google Pixel 7
It's possible to use hidden built-in dolby atmos equalizer for speakers, root is required.
Works at least for all latest Oneplus (7 / 7 Pro / 7T).
You need to edit sound_tuner.db - dolby keeps its settings for all connected devices here.

I used MyAndroidTools for quick editing:
I have a really dumb question: where can I find that app? I searched the play store and nothing I found came up with db editing tools.

Sorry about the search failure question, this is something I'd like to do.

Embox

Feb 17, 2019
MyAndroidTools can be downloaded at least on Github. As i'm new user here, I cannot paste links yet. Google "MyAndroidToolsWebsite github". I used 1.6.8 release apk.
There's also "aSQLiteManager" app on the play store, it's old and quite slow, but works on my 7T. Enough for tuning the speakers once

Last edited:
Reactions: grandpajiver

Aswin08

Dec 31, 2012
OnePlus 7T
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
It's possible to use built-in dolby atmos equalizer for speakers, for example, to emphasize lows and decrease highs.
Root is required. Works for all Oneplus 7 Series

Code:

I used MyAndroidTools for quick editing:
1. Turn Music mode for speakers in Dolby Atmos and play any favorite track looped (not necessary, but much easier to compare sound difference further).
2. In MyAndroidTools go to Database > Dolby Atmos > sound_tuner.db > sound_tuner and open the line with "speaker_device".
3. Change values for "headphone_style_preferred" ("Intelligent style") и "audio_frequency" (10-band EQ), then save changes.
  • headphone_style_preferred keeps value from 0 to 3 (0 - balance, 1 - warmer, etc), i prefer "0".
  • audio_frequency keeps a string with each band gain, separated with '#' without spaces.
    For 7T try this (more bassy and clean sound, but little loss in volume):
    Code:
    [B]2.5#6.8#0.0[/B]#-8.0#-6.0#-5.0#-4.5#-4.0#-3.8#-4.0
    Don't use "7.0" or higher for first three bands - it brings distortion at high volumes.
4. To apply EQ switch to dolby atmos and change Music mode to Dynamic, and then back to Music. That's it!

Speaker EQ settings don't affect any headphones, work in all modes (dynamic/movie/music, also in ringtone mode) :)

Thanks, sounds really better now! :)
Speaker bass and clarity is good.

Last edited:

c19932

Jun 9, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Igot this working. Thank you for your help. The bass is really nice, but I am concerned about whether the heavy bass will be bad for the speaker in the long run. any idea?

Also, also preset audio_frequency for car speakers for heavy bass? Thank you! this is great!

Last edited:

Embox

Feb 17, 2019
whether the heavy bass will be bad for the speaker in the long run
It can harm at max volumes, mostly the top speaker. If you constantly use max volume or close, better keep first three bands under "6.0" and turn off "Intelligent EQ" (set it to "3"), as any iEQ enables additional bass boost for speakers.

My goal was great clear sound at low-to-mid volumes.

Last edited:

Hege

Dec 10, 2007
Bratislava
I was searching for the possibility to enable EQ on 7t without root, but nothing really worked, until I found Dolby Atmos DAX2 app (originaly from Razer phone)... (you can find it on apkmirror - I cannot share links yet...) works pretty well... maybe someone can have a use for it too... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Embox

Embox

Feb 17, 2019
Dolby Atmos DAX2 app (originaly from Razer phone)... (you can find it on apkmirror
Great finding, thanks! I checked it too and it works :)

This DAX2 app doesn't sync with built-in Oneplus sound tuner though (7T at least). Any change under "Settings -> Sound & vibration -> Dolby Atmos" and EQ for any device will be overrided.
It seems Oneplus has 2-way atmos audio library access - via standard SoundTuner app (in "Settings") and Dolby itself (which can be tuned by this DAX2 app).

Last edited:
Reactions: grandpajiver

Embox

Feb 17, 2019
Hope too, i'm not into magisk much...
A thing about step 2 - this file is personal and keeps your headphone profiles too. Unless magisk module can change (not replace) *db file, you will have to re-tune all profiles again.

Upd: I removed attached file for replacing original db. Seemed to work incorrect even on my device (dolby turned off any effect). Manual editing still works fine.

Last edited:

Embox

Feb 17, 2019
Hey! I remember back then you posted a value set that produced great bass. Could you post that again? Thanks!
Hey! Before finding dax3_sqlite.db i used almost the same set for global EQ (now this is "step 2"):
Code:
2.5#6.8#0.0#-8.0#-6.5#-5.0#-4.6#-4.2#-4.0#-4.2
A value set i like most now in combination with additional "step 1" is updated in the first post.
You can visually and faster adjust EQ with Dax2 app in this post (then copy its values to "step 2" and remove the app):
https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-7t/how-to/dolby-atmos-equaliser-7t-hd1903-root-t4054999

Reactions: c19932

Terrigible

Jun 12, 2018
Singapore
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 11
Thanks for the guide, my speakers sound really nice now. I have a few questions. May I know how you got the values for the speaker balancing? Not planning on doing it myself or anything, just curious. Also, with your EQ values, what are the odds of damaging the speakers at max volume?

Embox

Feb 17, 2019
Thanks for feedback, I also loved more 7T speakers, though sound got a little quieter.
how you got the values for the speaker balancing?
The stock top speaker is louder (not much, but noticeably), GSMArena also mentioned that. Stock EQ values ("Step 1") remind me random earthquake graph, for example bottom speaker gains:
-219,-16,68,-16,-16,0,9,-11,9,-16,52,9,32,-16,-46,4,-11,12,38,-16
So I reset them all to neutral ("0"), add little bass except lowest/highest bands (speakers can't produce 46/20000 Hz). Then made bottom value set +32 higher ("+2 db"), it sounds ok for total balance (no precise measurements with mic). After I adjust global EQ based on this neutral setup ("Step 2").
Curious can also find more hidden fields to tune like bass boost, headphone optimization in the "dax_sqlite3.db".
what are the odds of damaging the speakers at max volume?
Good odds with extreme gains and constant max volume. I mean "step 2" (global EQ), no harm with "step 1" only.
On my experience all gains below +6 db are save, no distortion. One can decrease this to +4...5 db for sure safety.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's possible to significantly improve loudspeakers sound quality and fix imbalance with hidden Dolby Atmos settings.
    Follow any or both steps below (good for all Oneplus 7 series).

STEP 1: Fix stereo imbalance (ROOT is required)
    The top loudspeaker sounds louder and crispier than bottom (moreover, the top rattles more at high volume). This can be fixed by editing dax_sqlite3.db with any SQLite editor:
    Code:
    /data/vendor/dolby/dax_sqlite3.db
    I used SQLite Editor app:
    1. Open dax_sqlite3.db and go to "tunings".
    2. Open record with "speaker_landscape_normal" and edit 2 parameters, then save.
    • Replace audio_optimizer_gain_l with new value:
      Code:
      -56,0,40,16,8,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,-16
    • Replace audio_optimizer_gain_r with new value:
      Code:
      Each number separated by comma = gain in dB * 16 (i.e. "32" means "+2 db", "-16" means "-1 db").
    3. (OPTIONAL - may be useless on your rom) Analogically replace the same parameters for the records "speaker_portrait_normal", "speaker_landscape_India", "speaker_portrait_India".
    4. Reboot. That's it! :)

If something goes wrong (or you dislike new sound), just remove dax_sqlite3.db and reboot. Dolby will re-create it and return all default settings. Details about this edit:
    We change overal speaker output optimization. Practically it's 20-band EQ for each physical speaker (audio_optimizer_gain_l = top).
    So we reset both EQs to sound equally neutral, but keep the top speaker ~2 db lower.

STEP 2: Enable graphic EQ for speakers
    You can activate dolby atmos equalizer for loudspeakers (available only for headphones by default) to get more bassy and clean sound.
    If you don't have ROOT, use this DAX2 app: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-7t/how-to/dolby-atmos-equaliser-7t-hd1903-root-t4054999
    You will have to disable/freeze built-in dolby tuner for full functionality (see tips also in that thread).
    If you have ROOT, I recommend the method below. It relies on internal dolby app and will work in all modes (dynamic/movie/music + ringtone).
    Code:
    Again with SQLite Editor app:
    1. Open sound_tuner.db, then go to "sound_tuner" and edit the line with "speaker_device".
    2. Change values for "headphone_style_preferred" ("Intelligent style") and "audio_frequency" (EQ itself), then save changes.
    • headphone_style_preferred keeps value from 0 to 3 (0 - balance, 1 - warmer, etc), "0" is recommended.
    • audio_frequency keeps a string with each band gain in dB, separated with '#' without spaces. Recommendation for 7T:
      Code:
      4.4#6.5#0.0#-7.8#-6.5#-5.0#-4.5#-4.0#-3.6#-4.0
      Don't use "7.0" or higher for first three bands - it will harm the speakers at high volumes.
    3. To apply EQ switch current mode in Dolby Atmos settings (e.g. Music to Dynamic). That's it! :)
    Thanks for feedback, I also loved more 7T speakers, though sound got a little quieter.
    how you got the values for the speaker balancing?
    The stock top speaker is louder (not much, but noticeably), GSMArena also mentioned that. Stock EQ values ("Step 1") remind me random earthquake graph, for example bottom speaker gains:
    -219,-16,68,-16,-16,0,9,-11,9,-16,52,9,32,-16,-46,4,-11,12,38,-16
    So I reset them all to neutral ("0"), add little bass except lowest/highest bands (speakers can't produce 46/20000 Hz). Then made bottom value set +32 higher ("+2 db"), it sounds ok for total balance (no precise measurements with mic). After I adjust global EQ based on this neutral setup ("Step 2").
    Curious can also find more hidden fields to tune like bass boost, headphone optimization in the "dax_sqlite3.db".
    what are the odds of damaging the speakers at max volume?
    Good odds with extreme gains and constant max volume. I mean "step 2" (global EQ), no harm with "step 1" only.
    On my experience all gains below +6 db are save, no distortion. One can decrease this to +4...5 db for sure safety.
    I updated the first post - how to fix loudspeakers imbalance and improve total quality.
    Try it, now Oneplus 7T sounds perfectly :)
    MyAndroidTools can be downloaded at least on Github. As i'm new user here, I cannot paste links yet. Google "MyAndroidToolsWebsite github". I used 1.6.8 release apk.
    There's also "aSQLiteManager" app on the play store, it's old and quite slow, but works on my 7T. Enough for tuning the speakers once
    I have a really dumb question: where can I find that app? I searched the play store and nothing I found came up with db editing tools.

Sorry about the search failure question, this is something I'd like to do.
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/wangqi/my-android-tools/