[FIRMWARE 4.4.2] VRUDNE1 full wipe tar + NE1 Update Zip

Search This thread

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
For d2vzw SCH-I535 ONLY

This is the official tar ball for VRUDNE1. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Any locked bootloaders are not my fault.

THIS WILL LOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER FOREVER

4.4.2 VRUDNE1 full wipe tar download HERE

4.4.2 Update Zip
For reasons that should be obvious I recommend not to update yet unless you really cant wait. This zip was ripped out of the ota download folder I have not applied it myself so use at your own risk.

There has been successful upgrades using this update zip.

I am assuming you must be on a untouched version of nc1 for this to work (no root) apply update zip in stock recovery.

Download the 4.4 update zip from HERE

Last edited:

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
i played the stupid card and softbricked my S3. i was in a curious mood and wanted to go back to a fresh 4.3 to get to a fresh 4.4.2. is there anyway for me to unbrick it with or without losing my data (preferrably losing because i want a fresh start). Does anybody know when a tar will be ready or when the file will be available through the Verizon Repair Assistant?

flash this via odin if you bricked your bootloader!
contain: tz.mbn sbl3.mbn sbl2.mbn rbm.mbn aboot.mbn

flash on VRUDNE1 kitkat tw only

Attachments

• s3vzw_4.4.2.tar
    1.9 MB · Views: 8,966

yonith

Oct 26, 2010
I'm on the newest clean Rom but badly want tw kit Kat. I don't care about losing the ability to flash aosp or flash kernels. So when the tar comes out I will be able to just load that into Odin and put on my phone?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I'm on the newest clean Rom but badly want tw kit Kat. I don't care about losing the ability to flash aosp or flash kernels. So when the tar comes out I will be able to just load that into Odin and put on my phone?

You really can't wait a few more days for a new CleanROM?

Are you really that desperate to permanently lock down your phone in such a way that only a hard-wired JTAG procedure can undo?

If you lock your bootloader, you are stuck with SafeStrap and needlessly wasting space on your phone to accommodate ROM slots.

Reactions: TokedUp

TokedUp

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2010
Hellz Kitchen, NYC

Are you really that desperate to permanently lock down your phone in such a way that only a hard-wired JTAG procedure can undo?

If you lock your bootloader, you are stuck with SafeStrap and needlessly wasting space on your phone to accommodate ROM slots.

Agreed.

reno218

Dec 13, 2010
I messed something up, now I can't odin back to 4.3 and all I get is the firmware upgrade encoundered an issue... when I try to odin back to 4.3 it fails.. oops.

yonith

Oct 26, 2010

My understanding is that this is going to be similar to the gs4 where there are frankenkernels and frankenroms hacked together to keep our bootloader unlocked. This isn't as reliable as the straight kernel. Correct me if I'm wrong that was just the impression I got.

greatdaneduke

Apr 18, 2012
I have a locked boot loader, I took t the 4.3 ota. If I take this new ota is there a way to root once it updates?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
My understanding is that this is going to be similar to the gs4 where there are frankenkernels and frankenroms hacked together to keep our bootloader unlocked. This isn't as reliable as the straight kernel. Correct me if I'm wrong that was just the impression I got.

This is FUD. You've been misled. Custom roms do not touch unlocked bootloaders or require exotic engineering to keep things that way.

If you've unlocked your bootloader anytime within the past 2 years, you're set. You don't need to do anything. Just don't take the damn OTA. You should be on a custom rom or have already disabled such OTA functionality manually. If you take the OTA, you are screwed no matter what.

There's no frankenkernels or frankenroms. If you want to make a rom based on the update for normal folks who were smart enough to keep their bootloader unlocked, you simply remove the bootloader files altogether from the OTA tar/zip and begin customizing. You can use the stock kernel or compile your own using the source Samsung provided. For the poor souls who are locked down, they are stuck with the stock kernel and SafeStrap. Only thing they can modify is the system partitions they create.

There's nothing "franken" about either approach.

The only people with weird bootloader configurations are those who dipped in and out of OTA sequencing. Maybe their SBL or RPM/TZ partitions are stuck at LF2 or something just as ancient.

Ideally, every binary partition should be at firmware MF1 except for the aboot at LE6. My modem is at ML1 for the hell of it since flashing modems (even from the locked down 4.3 OTA) is safe.

tl;dr The unlocked rom scene is not impacted by Knox or anything OTAs lock down. It exists outside of the walled garden Verizon and Samsung are trying to create.

yonith

Oct 26, 2010
Well thanks for enlightening me! I will hold out until one of or beloved devs cook up a rom.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Good to see your still floating around the s3 threads which device are you using as of late

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

I'm currently on the S5 as my daily driver but I bought an S3 again a few months ago as a backup phone/desk clock if something happens to my daily. It's really nice to see how far this device progressed over this time (it beat a Nexus as far as OS updates...namely Galaxy Nexus) so I just had to get it again after hearing it would get KitKat. From 4.0.4 all the way to 4.4.2 now. That is a beautiful thing to experience. :good:

Reactions: XR2003 and old&slow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I were everyone in this thread...

I would just chill out for a while... ;)
    For d2vzw SCH-I535 ONLY

This is the official tar ball for VRUDNE1. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Any locked bootloaders are not my fault.

THIS WILL LOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER FOREVER

4.4.2 VRUDNE1 full wipe tar download HERE

4.4.2 Update Zip
    For reasons that should be obvious I recommend not to update yet unless you really cant wait. This zip was ripped out of the ota download folder I have not applied it myself so use at your own risk.

There has been successful upgrades using this update zip.

I am assuming you must be on a untouched version of nc1 for this to work (no root) apply update zip in stock recovery.

Download the 4.4 update zip from HERE
    i played the stupid card and softbricked my S3. i was in a curious mood and wanted to go back to a fresh 4.3 to get to a fresh 4.4.2. is there anyway for me to unbrick it with or without losing my data (preferrably losing because i want a fresh start). Does anybody know when a tar will be ready or when the file will be available through the Verizon Repair Assistant?

flash this via odin if you bricked your bootloader!
    contain: tz.mbn sbl3.mbn sbl2.mbn rbm.mbn aboot.mbn

flash on VRUDNE1 kitkat tw only

This is FUD. You've been misled. Custom roms do not touch unlocked bootloaders or require exotic engineering to keep things that way.

If you've unlocked your bootloader anytime within the past 2 years, you're set. You don't need to do anything. Just don't take the damn OTA. You should be on a custom rom or have already disabled such OTA functionality manually. If you take the OTA, you are screwed no matter what.

There's no frankenkernels or frankenroms. If you want to make a rom based on the update for normal folks who were smart enough to keep their bootloader unlocked, you simply remove the bootloader files altogether from the OTA tar/zip and begin customizing. You can use the stock kernel or compile your own using the source Samsung provided. For the poor souls who are locked down, they are stuck with the stock kernel and SafeStrap. Only thing they can modify is the system partitions they create.

There's nothing "franken" about either approach.

The only people with weird bootloader configurations are those who dipped in and out of OTA sequencing. Maybe their SBL or RPM/TZ partitions are stuck at LF2 or something just as ancient.

Ideally, every binary partition should be at firmware MF1 except for the aboot at LE6. My modem is at ML1 for the hell of it since flashing modems (even from the locked down 4.3 OTA) is safe.

tl;dr The unlocked rom scene is not impacted by Knox or anything OTAs lock down. It exists outside of the walled garden Verizon and Samsung are trying to create.
    I'm not going to be able to upload it to a faster place to download until around ten tonight so instead of Sam mobile you guys should use kies or the Verizon tool. The Verizon tool might be implementing it right now if that's so it will tell you there was a connection error.

FYI for a faster download: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2795659