[IDEA] Extending DOT VIEW Notifications For Other Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AshritShetty

Mar 15, 2013
Mumbai
We all know that HTC launched the Dot View Case along with the HTC One M8 which impressed a quiet a lot of us. But one of the drawbacks it had was the lack of support for apps other than the system apps.

Also recently Shen posted a tweet showing some progress in the right direction which definitely brought light to our hopes.

So I came across this idea which will help speed this up and could be ready in a few weeks.

My idea is to make use of an app called Dynamic Notifications which is available in the Play Store. For those who don't know, it like the Active Notification found on the Moto X.
So what we can do is replace the icons in the app with the ones similar to the Dot View icons. I have already ripped apart the Dot View App to get my hands on the font used which I have attached below. So using this font we can simple create icons like the one I have attached.

I know it would be inappropriate to modify someone else's work but we could take the permission of the developer and if possible the developer of the app could himself take this project up.

I already tried this but I am kind of novice in app modding and keep getting installation errors.

The icon which I make has white font with transparent background so you might not see the thumbnail but click on it to view it.

Attachments

• ic_action_hangouts_normal.png
    ic_action_hangouts_normal.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Last edited:

ssojyeti2

Jan 27, 2011
Miami
We all know that HTC launched the Dot View Case along with the HTC One M8 which impressed a quiet a lot of us. But one of the drawbacks it had was the lack of support for apps other than the system apps.

Also recently Shen posted a tweet showing some progress in the right direction which definitely brought light to our hopes.

So I came across this idea which will help speed this up and could be ready in a few weeks.

My idea is to make use of an app called Dynamic Notifications which is available in the Play Store. For those who don't know, it like the Active Notification found on the Moto X.
So what we can do is replace the icons in the app with the ones similar to the Dot View icons. I have already ripped apart the Dot View App to get my hands on the font used which I have attached below. So using this font we can simple create icons like the one I have attached.

I know it would be inappropriate to modify someone else's work but we could take the permission of the developer and if possible the developer of the app could himself take this project up.

I already tried this but I am kind of novice in app modding and keep getting installation errors.

The icon which I make has white font with transparent background so you might not see the thumbnail but click on it to view it.
did you sign the app? that could explain the installation errors

kfasheldon

Jun 17, 2010
Birmingham
Hi, Of interest if you install NOLed notifications app from market - which should show flashing squares on screen in stead of LED - designed for phones with no LED, but cool with this case as you should see different colours for each app - only odd side effect - it flashes time and weather when you have notifications - not its own squares - would be good if someone could code something without this side affect.

AshritShetty

Mar 15, 2013
Mumbai
Hi, Of interest if you install NOLed notifications app from market - which should show flashing squares on screen in stead of LED - designed for phones with no LED, but cool with this case as you should see different colours for each app - only odd side effect - it flashes time and weather when you have notifications - not its own squares - would be good if someone could code something without this side affect.

Thanks for sharing, I will try and look into it !

David 617

May 12, 2011
Hey,
I've been trying to do the same thing. I also got stuck at resigning the app.
I'm trying to replace HTC voice assist with Google now.
The logcats implied that I needes to be signed with HTCs certificates. Does that make sense?
Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

AshritShetty

Mar 15, 2013
Mumbai
Finally I was able to over come the signing problem and could get the app to install. The default size of the images used in the app was 216 X 216 which according to me was very small and the icon displayed is as shown in attachment 1.

After which i increased the size to 400 X 400 but sadly the image is now being chopped off from the sides.

This according to me is because of the image size set in the app which I don't know how to edit.

If it would be very kind if someone could help / guide me with this one.

I have also attached the .apk file if anyone is interested in looking into it :)

Attachments

• IMAG0436.jpg
    IMAG0436.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 852
  • IMAG0437.jpg
    IMAG0437.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 800
  • com.greatbytes.activenotifications-1.apk
    7.7 MB · Views: 47

AshritShetty

Mar 15, 2013
Mumbai
Hey,
The logcats implied that I needes to be signed with HTCs certificates. Does that make sense?
Any suggestions?

I used this app called APK Edit from the PlayStore to overcome the signature problems :)

BrandonPrice31

Jan 12, 2012
Hey,
Any suggestions?

If you can do this please let me know!

AshritShetty

Mar 15, 2013
Mumbai
You used this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.heagoo.apkeditor ?

It seems that you can only replace the resources with this but now edit the actual code. Is that true or did I miss something?

Yes, its the same app.

Initially I thought the process will be as easy as replacing the images but now when I see, I need to edit the code to resize the images for which I will have to use the traditional methods like APK Manager.

But editing the code is beyond the scope of my knowledge and so will be looking forward to others.

David 617

May 12, 2011
I'm comfortable editing the code, I'm just lost as to how I repackage and replace the old apk.
Maybe if you find anything on that you can post it here and we can get to work on it together...
Thx

Reactions: MohammadAG

AshritShetty

Mar 15, 2013
Mumbai
My upcoming Xposed module will include notifications for all apps:

qYzmISPl.jpg

(Text at the bottom auto scrolls to show all text)

And a dialer... http://i.imgur.com/0pzY76H.jpg
And music metadata/controls.

And a game of Snake, cause why not, https://twitter.com/MohammadAG/status/467642113266421760

Awesome work my friend !

Also thank you for creating the 3 Finger Screen Lock Mod :laugh:

But wouldn't it be possible to achieve this without the need to root ? For example by modifying the Dot View App ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My upcoming Xposed module will include notifications for all apps:

qYzmISPl.jpg

(Text at the bottom auto scrolls to show all text)

And a dialer... http://i.imgur.com/0pzY76H.jpg
    And music metadata/controls.

And a game of Snake, cause why not, https://twitter.com/MohammadAG/status/467642113266421760
    The module's out (and somehow it's not in beta!):

Mod edit link removed

I've changed the menu items to a list rather than a grid, the holes are too small for a grid to work.
    Notification scroll when you first see them, then all icons are scrolled akin to how weather and temperature keep changing.

If a notification has a number, it'll show next to the notification vertically.
    Incoming calls won't appear if notifications are present.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk 2

Thanks, fixed in 1.0.3 :)
    I bought the unlock key and it is really cool, I love this mode, 2 euro is nothing, it worth it. I don't know how to play snake, how to control it and I don't know how to dial a number, I don't see any button to press after I write the number, but the other stuff realy works great

"Usage:
    **Dialer:
    Swipe up to call the number, swipe down to close the dialer. If no numbers are input, a swipe up redials the last person called.
    Swipe from right to left to delete a number, tap and hold the numbers at the top to delete all.
    A future update may add speed dial from the stock dialer.
    **Snake:
    The bottom region of the screen is divided into four quadrants, up/down/left/right. A future update will enable gesture controls if that's your thing.
    Tap the HTC logo on your cover to pause the game, tap it again to save progress and quit the game.
    **Shortcuts:
    Swipe left and right to change between shortcut pages."

Gesendet von meinem SM-T325 mit Tapatalk 2
    OTA for this module? I will donate if you let me beta :)

It's likely going to be a paid module since it's over 5k lines and it's taking me a lot of time. So I have no idea how to do a beta with that in mind.

A really cool idea would be able to display the battery percentage in simple text eg 100% that would be very useful!

That's what's next to AM/PM in my screenshot. A percentage doesn't fit, maybe I could make it smaller and it shows fine.

Or when you plug a charger it gives a charging animation.

Hmm, looking into it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk