[HOW TO] Extract Rom.zip From RUU

Search This thread

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
To get the rom zip without any errors just run the ruu.exe file, when the box with a picture of a phone pops up, click start on pc, type in "run" and click on run then in that box that pops up, type in %temp% and click ok. Another window pops up then just scroll down to the most recent folder and rom.zip will be in there, if not it will be in the next folder.

hi

master how to open Zip firmware !!?
i want to open zip firmware (PM60IMG.zip Desire 400)with 7zip ! but shows below error :
"can not open file PM60IMG.zip az archive "

how to pass this encryption ?

try that way above

f1tzg3r4ld

Apr 17, 2015
Thank you so much for this tutorial. I had been looking and asking how to do this. You are a life saver.

StanWiz

Oct 27, 2014
Thank You Inside 4ndroid - you're a life savior. :good:

I thought my htc amaze was a permanent brick when it went into a bootloop while doing s-off.

No stock RUUs are available for the Ruby ICS Videotron ( only 1 OTA). Did manage to eventually find an .exe with hboot 1.93 - the rest is history :)

aag

Dec 22, 2006
I've been trying to get my HTC Desire 510 Sprint back to stock, and although I managed to get the rom.zip out of the .exe, the resulting file was useless to flash directly (fastboot flash zip) or to flash via a SD card.

Finally I was able to flash the lastest ROM from HTC extracting another set of ZIP files from the ROM.ZIP using the romtool.exe that is created in the same directory you'll find the ROM.ZIP file when running the RUU .EXE of HTC.

I'm posting here so if somebody has this problem can go a little bit further:

1. Run HTC's original RUU and find ROM.ZIP as explained in this guide.
  2. Copy the whole directory to a safe location, not just ROM.ZIP file.
  3. From a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) go to your just created copy of HTC software.
  4. Run: romtool.exe -u rom.zip
  5. A set of usable .zip files will be extracted. In my case: rom.zip_00.zip to rom.zip_05.zip.
  6. Flash the recently extracted files to the phone using "fastboot flash zip"

Doing this procedure my phone got all the stock firmware _but_ the recovery image.

Thanks!

sbrownla

Jun 1, 2007
Northern Arizona
I've been trying to get my HTC Desire 510 Sprint back to stock, and although I managed to get the rom.zip out of the .exe, the resulting file was useless to flash directly (fastboot flash zip) or to flash via a SD card.

Finally I was able to flash the lastest ROM from HTC extracting another set of ZIP files from the ROM.ZIP using the romtool.exe that is created in the same directory you'll find the ROM.ZIP file when running the RUU .EXE of HTC.

I'm posting here so if somebody has this problem can go a little bit further:

1. Run HTC's original RUU and find ROM.ZIP as explained in this guide.
  2. Copy the whole directory to a safe location, not just ROM.ZIP file.
  3. From a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) go to your just created copy of HTC software.
  4. Run: romtool.exe -u rom.zip
  5. A set of usable .zip files will be extracted. In my case: rom.zip_00.zip to rom.zip_05.zip.
  6. Flash the recently extracted files to the phone using "fastboot flash zip"

Doing this procedure my phone got all the stock firmware _but_ the recovery image.

Thanks!

There is no such exe in the directory pulled from temporary.

Mr_DerpFace1337

Jun 14, 2015
Quicker method and easyist IMO

Extracting ROM files from HTC RUU

Official HTC ROM updates are released as RUU (ROM Update Utility), which you run on your (Windows) PC to get the target device updated automatically.

Some of the big brains in the Android community release RUUs re-packaged into signed update files,
which in turn allow for whatever ROM customization you can imagine.

In this how to I will explain how to extract ROM files from a RUU image,
which you can then customize and use to flash your device without the fear of a new bootloader possibly making your device unrootable.

Requirements :

Windows PC,
Microsoft Process Monitor,
File Archiver capable of extracting ZIP files(eg, 7ZIP),
Official HTC RUU for your Android device.

The process of extracting ROM files from a RUU is really straightforward.
The idea behind it is that the self-contained update utility first needs to unpack the update payload into a temporary folder before pushing it onto the device.

This is when we grab the ROM file...

1. download the official RUU
2. start Process Monitor.
3. press CTRL+L
4. change "Architecture" to "Process Name"
5. leave the "is" field as it is
6. in the empty field copy and paste the name of your
RUU file (eg, RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_HTC_WWE_3.12.405.1_Radio_12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M_release_225512_signed.exe)
7. click "Add"
8. change "Process Name" to "Path"
9. change "is" to "Contains"
10. in the blank field type "rom.zip" (without quotes)
11. click add

Click "OK" to set the filter and then run the RUU file.

Once the utility starts switch back to Process Monitor and look for an entry in the "Path" column that ends with "\rom.zip".

Right click on that line and select "Jump to..."

this will open a Windows Explorer window in the folder which contains the zipped ROM files :)

Copy the "rom.zip" file to some other folder, outside of the temp RUU folder tree (eg, desktop)
Once copied, close Process Monitor and the RUU utility.

The copied "rom.zip" file contains the following files:

android-info.txt - list of CIDs this RUU will flash to,
boot.img - root file system image,
hboot (followed by a version string) - boot-loader update,
radio.img - radio driver update,
recovery.img - recovery partition image,
splash1_Hero_320x480.nb0 - boot loader splash image,
system_rel.img - system partition image,
userdata.img - data partition image.

You can now, among many other things, root the ROM
and then flash the updated boot.img and all the other image files on to your device using Recovery​
(Step 1) : Download Process Hacker 2
(Step 2) :eek:pen it
(Step 3) : Start the RUU you need the rom from
(Step 4) : Get to where it says "Welcome to the ROM Update Utility for your Android phone."
(Step 5) : Search in Process Hacker 2 for ARUWizard.exe
(Step 6) : Right click and go to properties and find Image file name click open folder
(Step 7) : Get $$$$$$$???????????
EPcFs1I.png

lordkian2000

Feb 8, 2014
what partition??

witch partition should i flash these images ??
my rom.zip also have these images to.
dzdata_4g.hdr
dzdata_4g.img
lib.img
ramdisk.img
rcdata.img
tp_atmelc12_20aa.img

zrzhu

Oct 22, 2011
To get the rom zip without any errors just run the ruu.exe file, when the box with a picture of a phone pops up, click start on pc, type in "run" and click on run then in that box that pops up, type in %temp% and click ok. Another window pops up then just scroll down to the most recent folder and rom.zip will be in there, if not it will be in the next folder.

Got the file. so I can just flash the Rom file thru TWRP instead of RUU, correctly? If i want to go back to stock.

OskyEdz

Dec 14, 2014
Hallsberg
I'm not sure...

It all works and so, but I'm not sure about the content of my rom.zip;
I know I want "boot_signed.img" (renaming to "boot.img" later), but I was not expecting all of these "dzdata_XXg.img" and "dzdata_XXg.hdr".

Content of my rom.zip (RUU_HIMA_UL_M60_SENSE70_ATT_MR_Cingular_US_3.38.502.17.exe)[HTC ONE a9]

EDIT:
Ok, it made sense to me now that I used the wrong carrier. I'm not a AT&T/Cricket-user. Honestly I don't know for sure what to use, I bought mine in Sweden so my carrier is Telia SE.
My CID is HTC__034
so I'm choosing HTC Europe 1.56.401.70

I hope I made the right call. I finally managed to get my RUU.zip and then I used the SD card method to flash it. cuz fastboot didn't cut it.
I'm managed to get back to stock recovery (my goal for today, yes!).

Regards,
OskyEdz

Last edited:

rjaymo

Nov 27, 2016
the Rom.zip after process monitor

I was able to see the .img files from the zip but 1 thing is that its saying ! C:\adb\rom.zip: The archive is corrupt
! C:\adb\rom.zip: The archive is corrupt
what's up with that? i been trying to bring back to life a 0Pcv1 htc. it goes to bootloader ok. fastboot ok. I tried to install a twrp and it momentarily shows up. I need to find something make it work. ????? any ideas? :eek:

Formedras

Jul 26, 2010
HTC One A9
LG Q7
Alternatively, find the RUU flasher program (NOT the InstallShield wizard) in the Task Manager and select Open File Location in the context menu (right-click or Menu key). If it doesn't work in the Applications tab of the 8/10 Task Manager (in advanced mode), it will in the Details tab.

atrujano10

Nov 7, 2017
for the ones that are not getting the events in the process monitor, be sure to add ".exe" at the end of the process name

KurOptic

Jul 13, 2018
I want to install a rom to my phone that has turned into a brick but my TWRP errors as I try to flash the rom.zip from recovery

hrcdan

Dec 31, 2018

Official HTC ROM updates are released as RUU (ROM Update Utility), which you run on your (Windows) PC to get the target device updated automatically.

Some of the big brains in the Android community release RUUs re-packaged into signed update files,

which you can then customize and use to flash your device without the fear of a new bootloader possibly making your device unrootable.

Requirements :

Windows PC,

The idea behind it is that the self-contained update utility first needs to unpack the update payload into a temporary folder before pushing it onto the device.

3. press CTRL+L
RUU file (eg, RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_HTC_WWE_3.12.405.1_Radio_12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M_release_225512_signed.exe)
7. click "Add"
11. click add

Once the utility starts switch back to Process Monitor and look for an entry in the "Path" column that ends with "\rom.zip".

this will open a Windows Explorer window in the folder which contains the zipped ROM files :)

Copy the "rom.zip" file to some other folder, outside of the temp RUU folder tree (eg, desktop)

and then flash the updated boot.img and all the other image files on to your device using Recovery​
Any idea’s on how to extract boot img from a ruu.zip file, I can’t find an official htc update for my phone, I have googled and checked many guides, thx in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements :

Windows PC,

3. press CTRL+L
    7. click "Add"
    11. click add

FYI - there is new tool which provides extraction, decryption and inflation of the ROM images and firmware. See here ->https://xdaforums.com/chef-central/android/tool-universal-htc-ruu-rom-decryption-t3382928
    update to last post

I found a zip repair tool and was able to repair and extract the 1.10.653.2 RUU rom capture. I will have to try to run it later. If anyone gets corrupted zip error, Zip Repair pro will repair it.
    You can open the zip. Go back a page n try the way i said.
    note path is desktop (last post showed from temp folder) and i still get same results. did some searching and aperantly htc now signs their zip files and they can't be opened anymore. having usb issues that causes fastboot force close errors and need to be able to flash boot.img thru flashify app to return it to stock. ran the htcguru reset rom that uses aroma installer to return to stock that lets me take ota's but i get qualcom location force close and other custom roms give me issues forcing me to reset phone to stock every few days with guru installer. flashing recovery in fastboot is a chore as well. I have s-off and can keep it, but doing fastboot oem lock wont relock the bootloader, even though it shows success in cmd line. i can cid and super cid with fastboot.

it leaves me at a point where i really need to pull everything out of the rom.zip file and it wont open.

pic 1, 7zip wont open archive on desktop
    pic 2, how i get recovery to flash
    pic 3, results from running RUU

i have to reboot device, set comand to reboot bootloader, set command to flash recovery all faster than phone will do all commands to get it to flash, and RUU doesnt work that fast. i know im on sprint with htc one m7, but google search "extract htc zip" "extract rom.zip" both lead to this thread as top result. no other searches will tell me how to open the archive, except one that resulted in "htc signed zips can no longer be opened"