[DISCONTINUED][RAM] darkstone SuperRAM FroYo v1.5 [kernel: Hastarin custom]

Search This thread

tarwedge

May 12, 2010
I tried several Android roms now, and I think this one is the best and smoothest one I ever used. :p
I feel everything is faster than other roms, BUT why "Quadrand Stand" shows this rom is only 1100, which is MUCH MUCH lower than other roms I used before. :confused:
If you actually read the very first post in the thread, you know, the one with the ROM that you managed to read as far as the download, this is explained already.

Reactions: mcmg

fantasticlord

Jul 29, 2007
HCM City
Shall I really do this? OK....I dare! :)

On first page Darkstone wrote this: QUOTE

- Forget quadrant scores! If you're judging this build by quadrant scores then I pity you. This type of build is different from other builds, yes the quadrant scores may not be in the 2000+ range, but honestly, can you actually say to me that this build is slower than other builds that have a higher score? I sure hope not.

It really is not difficult to read the DEV's first post, or is it? :rolleyes:

After using this build for a few days, I realize it sometimes freeze, like when installing apps (big size apps), or installing and downloading at the same time, or downloading multiple files. :D I made my HD2roid frozen when downloading about more than 10 apps at the same time, haha.
Anyway, this build is good, hope in the future it'll be better and better

Sorry for my poor English

ahchu

Mar 24, 2010
What do you mean by 'sync'? Sync with google or what?
If you have an internet connection (wifi, 3G) and have a google account, it'll be automatically sync with google services for you, like contacts and calendar.
I'm using it and I don't have to back-up my contacts or calendar events when switching from this build to another build.
Sorry for my poor English

i mean active syn trough PC -> HD2..
is it possible?
sorry for my stupid question again.

mk3hd2

Sep 20, 2010
Camera

Hi all.
This build is really very fast but has only one little mistake - CAMERA :( It is possible copy camera from other bulid? SRY for newbie question.

Babylonian

Nov 20, 2009
Stockholm
The volume during phonecalls is far too loud (I've had this problem with every build I've tried so far) Any solution to this? I'm on the newest stock rom with radio 2.15 (same as darkstone I think) Apart from this problem, everything runs perfect so far :) Thanks a lot darkstone!

jasonkruys

Nov 18, 2005
Bournemouth
Absolute loving this build, thanks Dark. Don't seem to be having many problems at all with this build, apart from the usual higher battery drainage.

To name a few problems I have read about:

Screen blank on phone call - Works fine for me, screen blanks when phone is near my ear, wakes up when I pull it away - every time.

Wifi/3G switch - Works fine. I am constantly switching between wifi and 3G at home, and never seen a single problem - the worst I have seen is that it has taken a minute or two to re-establish the 3G data.

Force close - Had an issue where Marketplace force closed every time I opened it, but a reboot fixed that. Appeared to happen after installing the Current Drain widget.

GPS - Works fine, every time. Battery drain may be a bit high, but then it was on Windows Mobile too?

Using it with Exchange account fine too.

I wonder if the problems some people are having, that are not affecting everyone, are down to apps/mods that have been installed....

Anyway, thanks for the great work Dark, really, really appreciate it - Saves me having to buy a Desire HD to use Android. This build is superfast, and I much prefer the Stock option over the Sense versions. I appreciate that it has probably taken up a lot of your time!

Looking forward to a SuperRAM Gingerbread build from you, that is for sure...

Happy Holidays :D

D

-deuces-

This thread is piling up with a lot of questions, where the answers can be found in the first post, or simply are already handled by others in this thread.

Some people might want to try searching before tackling the easy way and just drop your question here imo...

sorry another question, i believe this hasnt been asked.

i believe the latest cyannogenmod has a stock edited touch to focus camera(similar to htc's), will this be possible to install o this build?

thanks......i am searching for the camera now, will post if anything.

KrewsialNL

sorry another question, i believe this hasnt been asked.

i believe the latest cyannogenmod has a stock edited touch to focus camera(similar to htc's), will this be possible to install o this build?

thanks......i am searching for the camera now, will post if anything.

That's a good question indeed. Though it's a modded item, to be honest I have no clue if that will work on this build. Maybe if you can get your hand on the APK file of that camera, you might be able to install it? :)

D

-deuces-

That's a good question indeed. Though it's a modded item, to be honest I have no clue if that will work on this build. Maybe if you can get your hand on the APK file of that camera, you might be able to install it? :)

yeah....but first i will search if there is a hd2 build based om the newest CM

kahiro

Jun 7, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
i understand that nothing will be deleted from my aps,so then you reccomend me to delete it? what i dont understand is why i have to delete that....i did not change kernel or anything

i meant delete \android\root\data ... if u don't delete this after the first boot it will get recopied to the your \data\ in the system hence reseting whatever changes to the data or apps in that \data folder. ie, the default comes with launcher pro but if u install launcher pro PLUS and setup everything then u rebooted without deleting the \android\root\data folder then the old launcher pro will get copied to the \data\app folder in your data.img overwrite the launcher pro PLUS u installed which could/would cause it not to function.

the thing regarding the \android\root\system was just another example hoping to better illustrate my point but obviously didn't so just ignore it.

DarkStone1337

Nov 19, 2006
Urgh. I'm disgusted by the sheer amount of lazyness that people have.

A lot of the questions that are asked in this thread are answered in the first post.

Can a MOD lock this thread please? It's overflowing with verbal diarrhea.

Next time people, learn to search, or even read the friggin readme. This is in the first section of the first post:

Something isn't working properly!
- First of all check the build thread by SEARCHING FIRST to see if there is a solution to your problem or if it is already listed as a known issue. If there is no solution and the problem has not been posted by someone else, ONLY THEN should you post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=870518
- Please include details about the issue, such as how to replicate the problem.

Did most of you follow this? No. You posted the same issue over and over and over again and again.

If this is all I have to look forward to then I may as well not update this thread.

To those who did follow the guidelines:

Thank you :)
I understand that there are issues with the build, I never said this was perfect.

This is a highly experimental build, I have never claimed this to be a daily build for use. I've not seen anyone go over a concept like this in the native android scene either so this is something new.

No ETA on a update. Don't ask about Gingerbread, there won't be a ram release any time soon. Don't ask about Sense, it's a bloody resource hog and getting it to work in ram is not easy.

Last edited:

PacinoAllstars

Apr 10, 2009
is it possible to open the data.img file so I can see the contents.

I want to copy apps folder (.apk files) because I am going to reset.

D

-deuces-

Urgh. I'm disgusted by the sheer amount of lazyness that people have.

A lot of the questions that are asked in this thread are answered in the first post.

Can a MOD lock this thread please? It's overflowing with verbal diarrhea.

Next time people, learn to search, or even read the friggin readme. This is in the first section of the first post:

Did most of you follow this? No. You posted the same issue over and over and over again and again.

you should create a thread in the discussion section....and post in the op next time (just my opinion). that way all the yapping an repeated question can be said there, while this one in the development section is clean. that may be the pepto bismol to the diarrhea.

a build like this s a first of its kind :D so please try to understand peoples confusion and frustration.

darow

Apr 16, 2008
Blazing fast build!

However changing LCD Destiny to any value other than default kills Launcher. I can only unlock the phone, after that there is just black screen with top bar.

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
I tried several Android roms now, and I think this one is the best and smoothest one I ever used. :p
I feel everything is faster than other roms, BUT why "Quadrand Stand" shows this rom is only 1100, which is MUCH MUCH lower than other roms I used before. :confused:

You NEED to read the first post when Dark Stone said to forget about Quadrant scores, this build is quite clearly faster than any other Android build out there there is nothing faster and after downloading this i don't want to go back to a slower build, im hoping other developers follow suit and take a leaf out of Dark Stones book, i can imagine that getting Sense to work in RAM must be difficult but that will be overcome in time.

Since i joined this forum earlier this year great leaps have been made in Android development, i no longer bother with WINMO and haven't now for months, why would you when you have builds as quick as this i can do without Sense for now anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    leepriestenator said:
    MODERATOR WARNING!

All of us here are ecstatic that DS is back. This new Build marks the next level in Android Development for WinMo phones. It's a very exciting time but there are a few things we all need to keep in mind.

1) No THANK YOU Posts. Anyone found doing so on high volume threads will be given as infraction. We have implemented a new THANKS button here at XDA. Use that to convey your gratitude.

2) The first few pages of this thread have already informed us of this build being incredibly fast. Everyone knows it now which means NO more "This is so FAST!" posts.

3) There are several issues with this build, which have come to light over the last 30 pages. Check to see if your problem has been listed (Chances are that 999 out of 1000 are already listed). If it is, then you are not allowed to post asking for a solution to the same problem.

4) STRICTLY NO REQUESTS!
    Any discussions in this thread have to be limited to the build provided here. No discussions and arguments about the pros and cons of Sense Builds.

5) NO asking for ETA of the next build.

Any deviation from the above will result in an Infraction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------
    SuperRAM FroYo by darkstone1337
    Version 1.5
    Release: 18-December-2010
    Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=870518[/SIZE][/U][/B]

If you don't know anything, SEARCH GOOGLE FIRST.

What is SuperRAM FroYo?
    - It is an AOSP rom with some modifications added, but kept as close to stock as possible. The only thing that is modified is the keyboard, some menu options and the launcher.

What is special about this build?
    - What is special about this build is that the entire Android O/S filesystem is stored in RAM before it is booted.

What does this mean?
    - Well, RAM is faster than NAND(ROM) and SD Card which in turn will make the build superfast too! Very fast. Very very fast!

I don't understand what NAND(ROM) or RAM is!
    - NAND is a slower memory type (ROM) which is designed to hold data even after the phone is turned off. This is where your Windows Mobile operating system is stored.
    - RAM is a much faster memory type which is designed to hold information on a temporary basis. After your phone is turned off, the data in RAM is lost.
    - Running Android on your HD2 does not touch your ROM in any way! So when you turn off the phone and turn it back on, Windows Mobile will be loaded. No changes are made to ROM.

Does this mean I'm going to lose the stuff that I put in Android when my phone goes off or crashes?!
    - NO. Only the operating system files for this build will be stored in RAM. User data and downloads will be saved to your SD card in a special file called data.img
    - Remember if your phone crashes in Android, nothing will affect your Windows Mobile operating system since this build runs off RAM.

What other advantages does this build have?
    - Unlike normal builds which are ran from the SD card, this build will not stress your SD card nearly as much. This will allow faster transfer speeds and less chance of data corruption.
    - Battery usage will be less than SD card based builds as the operating systems files will be accessed from RAM instead of the SD card.
    - Quick android boot!

Something isn't working properly!
    - First of all check the build thread by SEARCHING FIRST to see if there is a solution to your problem or if it is already listed as a known issue. If there is no solution and the problem has not been posted by someone else, ONLY THEN should you post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=870518
    - Please include details about the issue, such as how to replicate the problem.

Installation and Setup:

Make sure that you do not have another Android folder on your SD card. If you do, then either rename the folder or back it up to another location and delete the folder.

Copy the folders named Android and media to the ROOT of your SD card. If you don't know what the root of the SD card is, look here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521052942AAMW3kA

On your HTC HD2, use file explorer to browse to the Android folder on your SD card. Run the program CLRCAD.EXE (nothing is supposed to show up when you run this program.). Then run haret.exe.

You will now see a green HTC logo on a black background for a couple of seconds, then you will see nothing but a blank screen for a couple of seconds.

After this, you will see the android unlock screen. Unlock the lock screen and go through the setup wizard. After this is done, import your SIM contacts if you have any.

To do this, open the Phone app, press the Contacts tab, then press the Windows hardware button on your HD2 and select Import/Export. Select Import from SIM card. From here, press the Windows button again and select Import All.

If you do not see your SIM contacts then follow the instructions below:
    *****************************************************************************
    If you are using an existing data.img then you will need to delete the one that you are currently using, and copy over a fresh data.img that is included with this build. If this is your first time booting this build, then this does not apply to you.

- Open the phone app and dial this code in: *#*#4636#*#*
    - You should now see a list of menus, choose the one named Phone information.
    - Scroll down to the bottom of the page and press the 'Turn off radio' button. Wait for your signal to drop.
    - Now press the 'Turn on radio'. Wait for your signal to be restored.
    - Now change 'Set Preferred Network Type' to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL).

After doing this, return to the home screen (press the Home hardware button on your HD2) then open the phone app again and follow the instructions on how to import your contacts as described earlier.

YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ON YOUR FIRST BOOT. YOU MUST KEEP THIS IN MIND.
    *****************************************************************************

- After importing your contacts, you MUST reboot your phone. If you do not do this, then your data connection will not be enabled.
    - Hold down the end call hardware button and select Reboot.
    - You will now boot back into Windows Mobile. Run CLRCAD.EXE and haret.exe as described earlier to load Android.

After this, the installation is fully complete and you can now start using Android.

Notes:

- I have included a 256MB data.img, however you can use any size that you wish if you have your own data.img.
    - I highly recommend starting with a new data.img regardless of whether you have used this build previously. There is some changes that may conflict with your current image.

- If you wish to make changes to the build, use the file structure in Android/root/ on your SD card to put your modified files in. They will be copied upon boot. Do not worry if they are not deleted, this is normal.

- After your first boot, make sure to delete the DATA folder on your SD card. It is stored under Android/root/data.
    - If you plan to reinstall the build again, make sure to copy back this folder from the ZIP file.

- Robot voice issue may occur when in a call. If this happens, during the call press the LOUDSPEAKER button then END THE CALL. Do this exactly and every call after will no longer have this issue.

- You are left with around 280MB+ free RAM after booting the build. This is enough memory for anything!

- Build.prop is easy to modify, I have included a copy in /Android/root/system on the SD card. Modify this as you with and your changes will be copied over upon the boot of Android. If you mess something up, just delete the file and the changes won't be applied upon next boot. This goes for any file you put in the Android/root/ folder.

- I'm not going to be like other chefs and say "THE BATTERY LIFE IS EXCELLENT I PROMISE" etc. Everyone's setup is different, just test the build for yourself!

- Forget quadrant scores! If you're judging this build by quadrant scores then I pity you. This type of build is different from other builds, yes the quadrant scores may not be in the 2000+ range, but honestly, can you actually say to me that this build is slower than other builds that have a higher score? I sure hope not.

- To delete LauncherPro just uninstall it from the Application Manager! Before you do this, make sure you install another launcher such and ADW Launcher or Gingerbread launcher which can be found from the Market free of charge.

- If you want to remove ads, this is very easy.
    - Download this adfree hosts file: http://gamesquare.co.uk/hosts.zip (COPY AND PASTE THIS LINK IN YOUR BROWSER.)
    - Unzip this file to the /Android/root/system/etc folder on your SD card. Boot into Android and there will be no more ads. ;)

- The base rom is from AdamG's OxygeN Desire rom which has been modified by myself.
    - The initrd and CSSync updates is based on that from cedesmith. However, I've modified the initrd for my own build.
    - The PPP wrapper update is from LeTama's thread, version 0.7
    - The HaRet loader is custom made by NetRipper, thanks to him for helping me increase the initial ramdisk size limitation!

For developers only:
    - The kernel included is hastarin's r8.6 eb_oldcam kernel, this has been modified for my build!
    - Kernel source: http://www.gitorious.com/~hastarin/linux-on-wince-htc/hastarins-linux_on_wince_htc
    - Patch: http://pastebin.com/6qjkb4Hh

Bugs Fixed in version 1.5:
    - Data corruption fixed (framework force close)
    - App compatibility increased (skype, drocap2, other apps should now work)
    - SIM contacts fix (read above on how to get SIM contacts on your phone if you do not see your contacts)
    - Camera app force close on settings now fixed
    - Wifi tethering now working (use the Wireless Tether app included)
    - Unable to remove LauncherPro is now fixed, I've moved the launcher to /data (read above on how to change launcher)
    - UI sounds should now work for everyone

Bugs Remaining:
    - Notification LED's only blink once
    - SetCPU unable to change CPU speed (not that I think that theres much need to do this anyway)
    - Possible PPP data issues for some people

New Features:
    - Gingerbread keyboard now has a multi-language auto-complete dictionary (access this in keyboard settings and choose your language)
    - Added RTL support (thanks to Ambious for his modified framework file!)
    - Updated to Google Maps v5
    - Added Astro file manager

Thanks to everyone at #htc-linux, #htc-linux-chat and at xda-developers for your help, guidance and support!
    Thanks to my beta testers! Thanks to Hastarin for pointing out the toolchain issue which cases high power usage in sleep!

The first boot will take under a minute, subsequent boots will take much less time.

I am running HTC HD2 Stock rom 3.14.405.2.
    My radio is 2.15.50.14, I have NO robot noise issue with the combination.

Screenshots:

superram1.jpg
    superram2.jpg

^ Home screen - Keyboard ^

RAAAAAR.gif

^You^

Download here: http://www.multiupload.com/01Q9CDT76Y

UPDATE:

Apply this patch to prevent data corruption. If you already using this build, use a new data.img (any size) after you apply this patch.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ebwijry3m9k6p3u

posting this initrd on darkstone's behalf. fixed corruption. rename it to newinitrd.gz

UPDATE:

Follow these instructions if you have higher battery drain!

Lets see how many people will ignore this...

To fix high power drain / usage in standby (60mA or 70mA) disable 'Use wireless networks' in Settings>Location menu. You will now get 7mA or less constantly. I discovered this as the main culprit last night. Also works in other builds.

Code:
    V1.2 Beta - old

http://www.multiupload.com/IO59N57MG0
    Kernel update: http://www.multiupload.com/2G8LKSNZF6

V1 - old
    [URL]http://www.gamesquare.co.uk/?p=478[/URL]
    MIRROR: [URL]http://hamid29.s73.rapidbaz.com/premium/49b2df8acc9fae5467b31e3814faf34d/4d05db44/s73.eu./8523299?SuperRAM_Froyo_v1.7z[/URL]
    Lets see how many people will ignore this...

To fix high power drain / usage in standby (60mA or 70mA) disable 'Use wireless networks' in Settings>Location menu. You will now get 7mA or less constantly. I discovered this as the main culprit last night. Also works in other builds.
    Thanks for your kind comments guys!

I'm looking into the bugs! I want this to be 100% functional.

Then I'll start working on a sense build :p
    Hi guys, a quick update before I go to bed,

I've been working on NAND+RAM combo, everything is looking really good so far!

Shouldn't be long before a release now, just some bugs to fix :)

The NAND version is a carbon copy of the SD card build but with some fixes and speedups!