FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Docking Station (ADT-002) Teardown

27 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By loialotter, Junior Member on 1st September 2011, 08:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is my first post with links and info and stuff so please don't mind the bad formatting or other errors.

I bought a docking station a bit back and tore it down; I'm not very impressed but I'm sure we can make something of it.

Dock:

Connector and IR:

Connector - Top:

Connector - Bottom:

Mainboard - Top:

Mainboard - Bottom:

As you can see on this unit there isn't any HDMI however the board was made for it. Also of note is the HDMI pins on the ribbon cable.

I've checked and the nuvoTon (W78E052DFG) is an 8052 with 8KB flash and 256 bytes ram.

The audio portion seems to have a filter set on it however I don't believe it's amplified.

I have not been able to determine if there is or isn't USB on the ribbon cable or connector though there's no sign of it on the board.

Another point is I've switched to a custom rom and it no longer detects the dock. I noticed before switching that there is a service that watches for the dock and I'm guessing sends a signal to android to start the media app on dock. Virtuous XooM does not in any way detect connection.

Communication with the 8052 is through serial and the kernel source shows info about it. I haven't been able to find any reference to USB. if USB is present I'd expect it to be the pair near pin 30.

(All images taken with the A500 camera)

------- New info: (copied from later post)
This is the dock pinout as seen by the tablet (other devices may have different pins connected)

1-10 no connection
11 - unknown - traced to Q9 near IR connector on dock but unable to find past there (2v from tablet)
12 no connection
13 - audio connect of some sort - appears to be connected to left channel (after capacitor) through a 1k resistor
14 - Right audio - decoupled with 100uF
15 - Left audio - decoupled with 100uF like right channel
16 - Audio ground - not connected to main ground
17 no connection
18-20 +12V
21-30 HDMI - NO signals connected except GND at 21,24,27,30
31 - unknown - 3.3v from tablet
32 - TXD pin on 8052 through a level converter
33 - RXD pin on 8052 through a level converter
34 - unknown - 0v - 3.3v when dock unpowered but tablet connected so this may be a dock detection
35 - connected to 33 on tablet side
36 - connected to 32 on tablet side
37-40 no connection
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loialotter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loialotter Ad-Free

6th September 2011, 04:30 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vancouver

More
These are all assumptions based on zebra cable layout so are quite probably wrong. They are also numbered based on the ribbon cable and I haven't made a conversion between ribbon cable and connector.

A voltage readings were done with an uncalibrated DMM on an oscilloscope (which seems to be .2v off or more). If i mark "from tablet" it's because it's not live when tablet not present and live even if power is disconnected from base.

1 case ground 0v
2-7 serial port(0v across)
8-20 HDMI
21unknown 3.3v from tablet
22 unknown 2v from tablet
23 unknown 2v from tablet
24-25 audio - audio even when nothing plugged in 0v
26 audio ground 0v
27 unknown 2v from tablet
28 unknown 0v (3.3v when dock unpowered but tablet docked)
30-35 12.0V
37 unknown 0v
38-40 gnd

Audio pins are correct but I can't tell which channel is which without finding a mp3 with audio only on one side. I would also trust the HDMI pins as ballanced pairs with shield between running directly to the HDMI portion of the board does seem rather proving.

None of the pins really look like USB as they should remain at 0v until a device is plugged in. I'll test connecting a 1500 ohm resister to 3.3v while monitoring the pin under test and see if I can find a USB connection attempt that way. If that doesn't work, finding pins with 15k ohm to GND would also indicate USB and I can try connecting a device to those.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loialotter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loialotter Ad-Free
6th October 2011, 01:44 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Just recieved mine today from Amazon (they went on sale, so I figured I'd bite). No HDMI is disappointing, but not a dealbreaker for me.

Oddly enough, my biggest complaint is that it doesn't come with it's own power cable. I was hoping to leave the dock hooked up at home, and be able to pack the (INCREDIBLY SHORT) A500 power adapter in my bag for when I go out. Looks like it's back to eBay for another...

Excuse my off-topic mini rant. The teardown is appreciated. Curious if you ever did find anything with the USB pins.
10th October 2011, 12:46 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I've read there are 2 versions of this docking station, one with HDMI and another without. It seems a lot of sellers are advertising the HDMI version but when people receive it, they get the non-HDMI version instead. Seems it's a hit or miss if you buy it online, probably safer to buy it from a brick & motar store so you can verify which version you're actually getting.

Sorry for off-topic too, just wanted to warn those that are thinking of getting this docking station

Nice tear-down btw.
27th November 2011, 07:11 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Any idea what the part number for the connector itself is ? I am interested in a custom dock setup and all I am concerned about its power, however I need to find the mating connector to integrate into it.

Any info is appreciated!
Jeff
30th November 2011, 12:40 AM |#6  
San Diego

More
Quality of the photo surprised me !
30th November 2011, 01:18 PM |#7  
Flag Binghamton, NY
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
So, any more info on this? I am putting an a100 in my dash, and I would like to use the dock connector at some point. For now I'll just run the power and audio through their ports I guess, but I would like to simplify the install at some point.

If these things suck so much, hopefully the price will drop soon, and I'll feel comfortable buying one to take apart for experimenting myself.

Thanks!
3rd December 2011, 04:30 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoracing

Any idea what the part number for the connector itself is ? I am interested in a custom dock setup and all I am concerned about its power, however I need to find the mating connector to integrate into it.

Any info is appreciated!
Jeff

There aren't any identifiable markings however I think I found the right connector by checking some of the vendors who make 'em. I'm almost positive the connector is: JAE - DD2 Series

This means that there's also a cable variant of the dock side connector, cool eh?

I have not measured the connector to see if the dimensions are correct but the pitch, count, offset appearance and overall appearance are perfect matches. Even the slits cut into the top of the tablet-side connector match what's in the drawings. Still not a guarantee, but good enough for me to buy a couple to see if they match.

Here are the digikey parts:
PCB connector - $7.67 in singles
Cable connector - $10.67 in singles
17th December 2011, 01:27 AM |#9  
Flag Seville
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Acer make two docking station models:
LC.DCK0A.001 without hdmi http://www.aceronline.es/shop/dockin...01-p-3786.html
LC.DCK0A.002 with hdmi http://www.aceronline.es/shop/dockin...02-p-3787.html
30th December 2011, 07:42 PM |#10  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJ80

Acer make two docking station models:
LC.DCK0A.001 without hdmi
LC.DCK0A.002 with hdmi

Perfect information. It seems that the 002 (HDMI) version has not been released in the US. It is not available on Acer's US site, nor do any of the US based online or B&M stores have it.
2nd January 2012, 01:20 AM |#11  
Flag Dillingham, AK
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I'm definitely eager to see how this turns out. I'd love to know what each of the pins definitely is.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
a500, adt-002, dock, internals

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)