27 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By loialotter, Junior Member on 1st September 2011, 08:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd January 2012, 01:20 AM |#11  
Flag Dillingham, AK
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I'm definitely eager to see how this turns out. I'd love to know what each of the pins definitely is.

2nd January 2012, 01:20 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
One assumes that the HDMI version is only required for the A100 series as the A500 already has full HDMI built in. Would the HDMI circuitry even work with an A500 in the dock? In fact, can you actually use the docks at all mismatched to the Iconia for which they were intended?
2nd January 2012, 01:41 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz99

One assumes that the HDMI version is only required for the A100 series as the A500 already has full HDMI built in. Would the HDMI circuitry even work with an A500 in the dock? In fact, can you actually use the docks at all mismatched to the Iconia for which they were intended?

I wouldn't assume that at all... docs are designed to be left in place... so the purpose for the hdmi on the doc is so that you can keep it connected to your display all the time and not have to worry about plugging in the cable and the power... etc. where the doc satisfies both those needs. And I believe.. the hdmi doc for the a500 was available some time before the a100 was even released. (chk)
7th January 2012, 03:17 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loialotter

Here are the digikey parts:
PCB connector - $7.67 in singles
Cable connector - $10.67 in singles

Thanks loialotter.
What's your confidence that pin 30-35 is actually 12V? Is is obvious (direct connection to the power port on the docking station)?

I will be buying one of those connectors (making a car dock) and want to be sure I won't be frying anything.

I will confirm if the connector fits and works in the A500 once I get the connector.
11th January 2012, 02:46 AM |#15  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider787

Thanks loialotter.
What's your confidence that pin 30-35 is actually 12V? Is is obvious (direct connection to the power port on the docking station)?

I will be buying one of those connectors (making a car dock) and want to be sure I won't be frying anything.

I will confirm if the connector fits and works in the A500 once I get the connector.

It's direct connectivity between +12v on the power jack and pins 30-35 on the zebra cable. These are not the same numbers on the connector itself.

If you look on SJ100278.pdf (digikey has link to drawing) the pin numbers are there. Note that the connector is wider at the top (notches near 21 and 40 on the side guides if that makes sence).

Pin 18,19 and 20 are +12V. There's no block of GND pins like I was expecting, instead GND is connected to 3, 6, 21, 24, 27, 30, and the connector shield. Due to the pattern of the gnd contacts, i'm guessing they're the shielding ones for HDMI. The connector is rated for 1A power per pin which means you need to use at minimum 2 of them.

I still haven't seen anything resembling USB and noticed that the tablet only uses a 20 pin zebra cable to the connector board (power included though they may pass GND through the case).

Now that I have my proper electronics desk at least partly set up, I can look further into the connector.
The Following User Says Thank You to loialotter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loialotter Ad-Free
11th January 2012, 03:08 AM |#16  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider787

Thanks loialotter.

It's direct connectivity between +12v on the power jack and pins 30-35 on the zebra cable. These are not the same numbers on the connector itself.

If you look on SJ100278.pdf (digikey has link to drawing) the pin numbers are there. Note that the connector is wider at the top (notches near 21 and 40 on the side guides if that makes sence).

Pin 18,19 and 20 are +12V. There's no block of GND pins like I was expecting, instead GND is connected to 3, 6, 21, 24, 27, 30, and the connector shield. Due to the pattern of the gnd contacts, i'm guessing they're the shielding ones for HDMI. The connector is rated for 1A power per pin which means you need to use at minimum 2 of them.

I still haven't seen anything resembling USB and noticed that the tablet only uses a 20 pin zebra cable to the connector board (power included though they may pass GND through the case).

Now that I have my proper electronics desk at least partly set up, I can look further into the connector.
11th January 2012, 03:34 AM |#17  
OP Junior Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Every now and then you find things that make you just exclaim WTF at the top of your lungs.

The dock connector board located in the tablet does not appear to have HDMI signals on it. The zebra cable between it and the mainboard has 20 pins. 17-20 are +12V, 12-15 are GND. I'm having troubles doing continuity tests between any of the HDMI signal pairs and the other pins on the internal connector.

Bad news on the USB front, there is no 5V and all the USB pins internal to the tablet float at 0.067V disconnected and I don't see similar levels on any of the pins.

It's looking more and more like the dock was designed for a completely different product. Can someone over where the HDMI capable docks are available check their tablet internals and see if the connector board is any different. Alternatively can someone test one of the HDMI docks to see if it even works with their tablets.

I'm working through the tablet side right now, I'll take some pictures and document my findings in a little bit here.

------- New info:
This is the dock pinout as seen by the tablet (other devices may have different pins connected)

1-10 no connection
11 - unknown - traced to Q9 near IR connector on dock but unable to find past there (2v from tablet)
12 no connection
13 - audio connect of some sort - appears to be connected to left channel (after capacitor) through a 1k resistor
14 - Right audio - decoupled with 100uF
15 - Left audio - decoupled with 100uF like right channel
16 - Audio ground - not connected to main ground
17 no connection
18-20 +12V
21-30 HDMI - NO signals connected except GND at 21,24,27,30
31 - unknown - 3.3v from tablet
32 - TXD pin on 8052 through a level converter
33 - RXD pin on 8052 through a level converter
34 - unknown - 0v - 3.3v when dock unpowered but tablet connected so this may be a dock detection
35 - connected to 33 on tablet side
36 - connected to 32 on tablet side
37-40 no connection

That being said - anyone wana mod their tablets? I was thinking adding a tiny USB hub in where the USB cable runs and make a new dock connector that has USB on it (taking over for the stupid serial pins maybe). Would need a new series of docks (or mod boards for the docks)... maybe a silly idea though

----
Oh, also, is there anyone even interested in me reverse-engineering the serial protocol used for the IR control? I can probably do so with some time but it'll require me to reformat my tablet to factory as none of the other ones seem to support the dock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loialotter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loialotter Ad-Free
11th January 2012, 07:11 PM |#18  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 59

More
:facepalm:. I bet they designed this port, initially, for their own proprietary means in a lab/repair environment, and said "Ya know, if we're gonna have this ugly port on the thing, may as well find something that the consumers would be able to use this for", thus coming up with the dock and only for syncing...
1st February 2012, 02:21 PM |#19  
Flag Tallinn

More
Acer UK store( http://store.acer.com/store/aceremea...oryID.56077100 ) claims that the HDMI version of the dock is only for the A100/A101 while the non-HDMI is only for A500/A501.
28th March 2012, 05:28 PM |#20  

More
Power up tablet throught dock port
Anyone knows if it's possible to send a signal to power up (as if you push the power button) to power up the tablet?

I know that they have a powerbutton on the remote but i don't know how to do it to start it.

Thanks!
12th May 2012, 07:54 PM |#21  
Flag evansford, victoria, australia

More
antenna connection
hi, is there a antenna connection on the dock for the a501 or in the wiring? please
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
a500, adt-002, dock, internals

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)