[WinApp][Updated 28 April] Android x86 Easy Installer

Search This thread

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011
Description:

This Installer will let you install Android x86 on your PC like any other application, no risk to Damage HDD Partitions, Boot Data or User Data. It’s like WUBI (ubuntu installer) NOT a WUBI Based Installer.
After installation you will got an option at boot to select Windows or Android.

Requirements:

• Android x86 ISO
  • Windows Boot Manager/NTLDR is the default Boot Manager
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8 32-bit or 64-bit
  • .NET Framework 4

Screenshot:

picture.php

Instructions:

• Install:

1. Go to http://www.android-x86.org/download
  2. Download any version of Android (i recommended eeepc version 4.0-RC2)
  3. Launch the Installer (Installer Link below)
  4. Select the downloaded ISO file
  5. Select the partition which Android will be installed to.
  6. Select “User Data Max. Size” which will store download Apps and User Settings
  7. Click Install and wait about 5 min.

• Note: Installation time depends on “User Data Max. Size” may be more than 10min with 32GB

• Uninstall:

1. Start->Control Panel -> Programs and Features
  2. Select Android and click on “Uninstall”
  3. Just press any key and wait until screen disappear

Know Issues:

• Not Work if GRUB is the default bootloader
  • EFI Not Supported

Change Log:

• Version 1.2:
    - Support Windows 2000/XP [waiting for Users Reports]
    - Logging Installation Process
  • Version 1.1: automatically detect if VGA Card require xforcevesa nomodeset, no more android black screen
  • Version 1.0: initial version

Some Notes:

• you can install Android on "USB Disk" or "SD Card"
  • you can install Android on Windows partition (Drive C: ), no problems at all

Windows 8 and UEFI-Enabled Devices Note:

Download:
Version 1.2:
Installer Version 1.2

Hitting Thanks button encourage me

Last edited:

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011
How to change Android Screen DPI ?
open C:\menu.lst
add DPI=120 or any value at the end of kernel line.

I'm waiting too much time and installation still not completed, what's going on?

installation time based on "User Data max. size" value it will take about 10min with 32GB
with 1GB it will take about 1min or 2min

Installer window not responding?
during installation installer may appear like not responding but it's still working. don't worry

Can it be installed with Windows 7 and ubuntu (installed with WUBI) ?
Yes,it won't mess up anything

What about UEFI Devices ?
I'm trying in my free time to find a solution for these devices

Last edited:

glsnjoseph

Oct 29, 2012
Abudhabi
Re: [WinApp] Android x86 Easy Installer

I'm on company presario CQ42
I download the one for HP pavallion series and it installed but not booting to android..
I can see only a black screen.....

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda app-developers app

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011
reserved,
iam on netbook ACER ASPIRE ONE 722 running windows 8 , What can I install android x86?? and which iso file one should I download, because too many choices

Latest Stable Release is Android-x86-4.0-RC2
i'm using eeepc version on my PC and my Netbook MSI U123
Thank you :)

I'm on company presario CQ42
I download the one for HP pavallion series and it installed but not booting to android..
I can see only a black screen.....

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda app-developers app

This issue because of incompatible Graphics Card
tell me your graphics card model

and i will try to find a solution to work with all Graphics Cards

mikevillarroel

Jun 28, 2008
Pembroke Pines, Fl.

I'm waiting too much time and installation still not completed, what's going on?

installation time based on "User Data max. size" value it will take about 10min with 32GB

during installation installer may appear like not responding but it's still working. don't worry

Another question here, can it be installed with Windows 8 and ubuntu (installed with WUBI), it won't mess anything right?

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Another question here, can it be installed with Windows 8 and ubuntu (installed with WUBI), it won't mess anything right?

Nevermind, it worked like a champ! thanks!

Reactions: ExtremeGTX

joarrafe

May 17, 2008
Android_*^ Easy Installer

Finally, an alternative installer. I am having difficulty in installing my android_x86. The installer won't detect my local hard drives even if the grub menu says "Install to Harddrive". I only get endless dots after the "Detecting Android_86". The installer only detects flash drives and SD cards and is willing to install the system onto the SD card. I tried various .iso images that are compatible with my machine and they all have the same story. Then I thought of tricking my PC. So I installed Android_x86 onto my SD card. Then using Gparted, I copied the partition (where I installed Android) onto my local harddrive. Afterwhich I edited my Ubuntu grub menu to be able to boot the partition. It worked! But not fully. I am again stuck with the "Detecting Android_x86..............(endless)". Same story, it will not detect my local harddrives even the very partition where the kernel and initrd files were succesfully loaded from.

I next experimented with VirtualBox. They all worked and detected the virtual hard disks just fine. Its just that the jellybean system runs slowly. However I am still keen on running Android alongside my other operating systems without virtual machines.

So I was very happy to have heard this easy installer. I just need help. when I first ran the Android Easy Installer, it went looking for grldr(grub4dos). So I downloaded and decompressed Grub4dos. I ran the installer again and it copied the necessary files to C:\. But this time, it came looking for "menu_VESA.lst". I looked everywhere including the internet but I do not know how to provide this file. How do I generate it? Please Help, Thanks.

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011
So I was very happy to have heard this easy installer. I just need help. when I first ran the Android Easy Installer, it went looking for grldr(grub4dos). So I downloaded and decompressed Grub4dos. I ran the installer again and it copied the necessary files to C:\. But this time, it came looking for "menu_VESA.lst". I looked everywhere including the internet but I do not know how to provide this file. How do I generate it? Please Help, Thanks.

OK, I don't know what's happened in your PC but this is the first time i see result like this.
I tested installer with (PC/Laptop/Netbook) with different Version of Windows but this is new to me.

I think you are using GRUB as bootloader or something like that.:confused:

FYI, The Installer packaged with All Files Required including GRUB.
menu_VESA.lst is grub config file, i created it for devices which use Intel HD, Nvidia or ATI Graphics Cards (you will not find this on the net :p)

menu_VESA.lst (Attached)
1. extract menu_VESA.zip
2. copy menu_VESA.lst to root of C:
3. Rename it to menu.lst

I hope this fixed your problem

waiting for your feedback

Thank you very much:)

Attachments

• menu_VESA.zip
    396 bytes · Views: 2,504
Reactions: klonic0

xiao23704955

Aug 7, 2012
HELLO
I don't know why when i press Install Now
it appears a window

---------------------------

Error Occured:
StartIndex 不可以小於零。

參數名稱: startIndex
確定

what is it??

akshay.mehta9

Apr 7, 2013
Ahmedabad
But i am not able to boot it when starting my pc it's giving me the option to boot android or windows 7 ,when i try to boot android a black screen appears and then same options.i installed latest android x86 4.2.2 pls help

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium

joarrafe

May 17, 2008
Thank you for the file.

Yes I am using GRUB. Actually, Windows XP occupies my first partition. My other partitions are populated by Ubuntu, Pear 6, Zorin 6, and Fedora 17. (in that order) We all know that these operating systems use GRUB2 and I installed each operating system's own grub in their own respective partitions (as you will see why later). The next partition is DATA. After that dwells Oracle Solaris 11 which uses GRUB 0.79. Since Oracle uses the ZFS filesystem, I thought that its not a good idea to have Linux GRUB2 boot Solaris partition since it does not recognize ZFS. In fact these systems cannot find the ZFS partition. So I decided to install Oracle last. Oracle's GRUB 0.79 on the other hand can readily "see" the Windows partition but also cannot see the Linux operating systems. However I found a way to boot them all using Oracle's GRUB 0.79. I chainloaded all of them from my Solaris menu.lst. And since I installed each Linux's own GRUB2 in their local partition, GRUB 0.79 simply chainloads booting to the GRUB2 of whichever Linux OS I choose. As I mentioned in my previous post, from GRUB2 I found a way to boot Android_x86 (on the hard drive partition copied from an SD card partition) and it worked. However, Android's kernel won't continue loading after the kernel and initrd, since it does not detect any of my hard drives. (I think) It only continues loading if it detects a flash drive or an SD card inserted. (and android is installed on that removable disk)

I am yet to try reinstalling using the Easy Installer. I will update you. Thank you very much

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Okay I tried over again. I followed your instructions and just to be safe, I also put a copy of menu_VESA.lst to the folder where the installer is located. (There is already a menu.lst in that folder from the Grub4dos package that I downloaded). Good news...it is no longer looking for menu_VESA.lst, so that satisfies it. Now however at the point where status says "Creating Android boot" an error window pops up: "System cannot find the file specified" and then halts installation. This time I do not know which file it is looking for. I have the iso image properly selected, the install destination has been selected (drive G:\ - a newly formatted 30GB NTFS partition) and User Data was set to 10GB. Now I do not know what file it is looking for. By the way, I downloaded and unzipped in the same directory of the Easy Installer a Grub4dos package since it was looking for these files. What do you think? Thanks for any help you could extend me.

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011

Okay I tried over again. I followed your instructions and just to be safe, I also put a copy of menu_VESA.lst to the folder where the installer is located. (There is already a menu.lst in that folder from the Grub4dos package that I downloaded). Good news...it is no longer looking for menu_VESA.lst, so that satisfies it. Now however at the point where status says "Creating Android boot" an error window pops up: "System cannot find the file specified" and then halts installation. This time I do not know which file it is looking for. I have the iso image properly selected, the install destination has been selected (drive G:\ - a newly formatted 30GB NTFS partition) and User Data was set to 10GB. Now I do not know what file it is looking for. By the way, I downloaded and unzipped in the same directory of the Easy Installer a Grub4dos package since it was looking for these files. What do you think? Thanks for any help you could extend me.

I think i have to add Logging feature to the Installer, this will help alot

But i am not able to boot it when starting my pc it's giving me the option to boot android or windows 7 ,when i try to boot android a black screen appears and then same options.i installed latest android x86 4.2.2 pls help

Can you tell me model of your Graphics Card ? or if you have kind of switchable graphics.

Thank you All :)

Reactions: Mo3tasm

akshay.mehta9

Apr 7, 2013
Ahmedabad
This method is not worked in my desktop and i used android x86 .org method android is working but my Windows 7 is not booting bootmgr missing

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011
Thank you for the file.

Yes I am using GRUB. Actually, Windows XP occupies my first partition.
Now however at the point where status says "Creating Android boot" an error window pops up: "System cannot find the file specified" and then halts installation.

That's True, the file is: bcdedit.exe which isn't included in Windows XP because it uses NTLDR not Windows Boot Manager.

The Installer Works with Windows Vista/7/8

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011
HELLO
I don't know why when i press Install Now
it appears a window

Error Occured:
StartIndex 不可以小於零。

參數名稱: startIndex
確定

what is it??

sorry i don't know about this problem

EDIT: After using Google Translator
there is a problem with bcdedit.exe

can you give more info about OS, Android ISO etc.

Last edited:

matgras

Jun 2, 2012
I will try to get this working on linux, ive installed android x86 on my laptop/tablet next to linux mint but when booting android it said something about the kernel not loading, hopefully this fixes it :D

sony xperia ray
ics 4.0.4 rooted
stock rom

joarrafe

May 17, 2008
That's True, the file is: bcdedit.exe which isn't included in Windows XP because it uses NTLDR not Windows Boot Manager.

The Installer Works with Windows Vista/7/8

Okay, so does this mean that the installer works only with Windows Boot Manager and not with NTLDR? The way I understand it, the installer also invokes grub4dos to boot android_x86. From what I know, boot.ini can be edited to accommodate alternate booting with grub4dos and this is compatible with NTLDR right? What my Oracle Solaris GRUB 0.79 does is that it chainloads to the Windows partition thereby transferring control to NTLDR. Then, NTLDR via boot.ini, can boot grub4dos which in turn could boot Android_x86. I think this could work.

However, I want to know if simply supplying the bcdedit.exe will continue the installation of Android_x86 and afterwards I can just manually edit grub4dos' menu.lst? Also, what other files (not included in your installer) should I have on hand to satisfy a complete install? Thanks for your reply.

ExtremeGTX

Feb 17, 2011
I will try to get this working on linux, ive installed android x86 on my laptop/tablet next to linux mint but when booting android it said something about the kernel not loading, hopefully this fixes it :D

sony xperia ray
ics 4.0.4 rooted
stock rom

Can you give more info please, what is the main Boot Manager (NTLDR/WindowsBootMan/GRUB), what is the version of Windows ?

Okay, so does this mean that the installer works only with Windows Boot Manager and not with NTLDR? The way I understand it, the installer also invokes grub4dos to boot android_x86. From what I know, boot.ini can be edited to accommodate alternate booting with grub4dos and this is compatible with NTLDR right? What my Oracle Solaris GRUB 0.79 does is that it chainloads to the Windows partition thereby transferring control to NTLDR. Then, NTLDR via boot.ini, can boot grub4dos which in turn could boot Android_x86. I think this could work.

However, I want to know if simply supplying the bcdedit.exe will continue the installation of Android_x86 and afterwards I can just manually edit grub4dos' menu.lst? Also, what other files (not included in your installer) should I have on hand to satisfy a complete install? Thanks for your reply.

thanks for this info. :)
I wasn't implement support of NTLDR, because i think a lot of people are using new Versions like Vista/7/8

just copying bcdedit.exe will not solve the problem, because bcdedit.exe is just boot config editor not the Boot Manager itself

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:

This Installer will let you install Android x86 on your PC like any other application, no risk to Damage HDD Partitions, Boot Data or User Data. It’s like WUBI (ubuntu installer) NOT a WUBI Based Installer.
    After installation you will got an option at boot to select Windows or Android.

Requirements:

• Android x86 ISO
    • Windows Boot Manager/NTLDR is the default Boot Manager
    • Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8 32-bit or 64-bit
    • .NET Framework 4

Screenshot:

picture.php

Instructions:

• Install:

1. Go to http://www.android-x86.org/download
    2. Download any version of Android (i recommended eeepc version 4.0-RC2)
    3. Launch the Installer (Installer Link below)
    4. Select the downloaded ISO file
    5. Select the partition which Android will be installed to.
    6. Select “User Data Max. Size” which will store download Apps and User Settings
    7. Click Install and wait about 5 min.

• Note: Installation time depends on “User Data Max. Size” may be more than 10min with 32GB

• Uninstall:

1. Start->Control Panel -> Programs and Features
    2. Select Android and click on “Uninstall”
    3. Just press any key and wait until screen disappear

Know Issues:

• Not Work if GRUB is the default bootloader
    • EFI Not Supported

Change Log:

• Version 1.2:
      - Support Windows 2000/XP [waiting for Users Reports]
      - Logging Installation Process
    • Version 1.1: automatically detect if VGA Card require xforcevesa nomodeset, no more android black screen
    • Version 1.0: initial version

Some Notes:

• you can install Android on "USB Disk" or "SD Card"
    • you can install Android on Windows partition (Drive C: ), no problems at all

Windows 8 and UEFI-Enabled Devices Note:

Download:
    Version 1.2:
    Installer Version 1.2

Hitting Thanks button encourage me

Can it be installed with Windows 7 and ubuntu (installed with WUBI) ?
    Yes,it won't mess up anything

What about UEFI Devices ?
    I'm trying in my free time to find a solution for these devices
    Hey Guys,
    Good News :D
    Here is the UEFI Version of the Android Installer: http://xdaforums.com/android/software/winapp-android-x86-installer-uefi-t3222483

Hi @ExtremeGTX,

Your work is really precious.. I think your app is the easiest way to install Android on Windows installed PCs. Today i installed "android-x86-4.4-r3" on my PC over "Windows 10" with your "Android Easy Installer v1.2" and it seems working.. :) I haven't tested all the features and the components one by one but at least i could able to install Android without issues.

I think lots of people wait for your UEFI supported Android Installer app. If you could do it we will really appreciate it. I have an Acer Iconia W4-820 tablet with UEFI system and i tried many different methods that i could find on the net, but i couldn't able to install Android on my tablet till now. It always give error.. So, my request is if you are still developing on this area and if you have enough time, making your app compatible with UEFI, would be a perfect work. And i think if you could achieve this project, your app will be trendtopic app in development sites and it will be a really useful app for lots of desperate tablet owners that are not able to install Android on their tablet yet.

Thanks in advance.. And good luck during your developements..

Thanks for your support and your comment, appreciate this :)
    Actually i started working on UEFI support, the goal of this app to install Android-x86 without corrupting device boot process.

The problem about UEFI support can be divided into 2 points:
    1. Android-x86 team add EFI Linux Kernel (Done, Thanks to the team)
    2. Chainload Android from Windows boot manager (Complex to solve)

Till now what i have reached is making UEFI call grub instead of windows boot manager, and user will get two options (Windows, Android).
    This solution is working but it is not safe and grub may fail to boot on some devices, maybe we can have new installer release (for UEFI Devices) after a lot of testing and it will be for specific devices which have been tested and has no issues at all.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to devices like Surface 2/3 or Acer Iconia. just testing on my UEFI PC and this is not sufficient test.

I have the version you suggested on my older labtop I dont really use, only thing is the internet wont work (turn on) which seems like the only thing I can tell which is a bummer. My developer for the rom I have did a 4.2.2 x86 which I tried after the fact and no go. Said it was missing something. Which I was hoping to get at least a 4.0-4.2 version going well. Maybe its just not an option at this point in time. with my new labtop being windows 8 and x64 is it able to take android x86 since it runs x86 programs aswell and has both x64 & x86 program files?
    One last thing when I uninstalled android it still shows android a few times under the windows 7 boot options upon restart. How can I clear/reset that? Great work & Thanks!

Sorry for late replay

1. Internet problem: you can ask Android x86 DevTeam, I'm developer of installer only :)
    BTW Try the version with the most HW similarities to your machines

2. I didn't test 4.2.2 before, i will give it a shot
    3. Android is fully independent OS, only use Windows Boot Manager to boot. (Doesn't care about Windows if x86 or x64)
    4. I think there is a Bug with Uninstaller on x64 systems, i will test it again

Now to delete unused boot entries:
    open cmd as Admin and type bcdedit.exe
    this will give you list of Boot Selections each one has a unique GUID
    to delete an option type: bcdedit.exe /delete {GUID}

:)