the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread

Caprice_0083

Jan 13, 2012
Nope........nopenopenopenopenopenope

I'm not taking this update, the last one robbed me of being to install all the great ROMs and now I'm stuck with safestrap compatible ones. I like Hyperdrive 13 but i know there is better I can't install.

Reactions: holla420
R

richii0207

I'm not taking this update, the last one robbed me of being to install all the great ROMs and now I'm stuck with safestrap compatible ones. I like Hyperdrive 13 but i know there is better I can't install.

That is just downright rude to scott.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

jwendt79

Feb 6, 2011
Goldsboro
Has verizon mentioned a date for this update? I could care less about the update but the wife wants it....

damnyouwaffles

Sep 13, 2012
Guys how do I get this update if I am rooted on the latest for Verizon? Do I just remove SuperSU through the option in the app and then I can safely take the update? I know its not out yet but I kind of want to be prepared.

holla420

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta,Ga
Guys how do I get this update if I am rooted on the latest for Verizon? Do I just remove SuperSU through the option in the app and then I can safely take the update? I know its not out yet but I kind of want to be prepared.

U would have to Odin back to stock. Mk2 or mj7 which ever ur phone is running. Then take the update

Sent from my Beastly powered S4 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

I feel u on being safe strapped in but I've been an exclusive hyperdrive flasher. Been in all his ROMs even when I was mdk. The man is a genius. Best tw ROM out but that's just my opinion. Yea all these new ROMs popping up looks fun but there's nothing like HD RLS. :thumbup:

Last edited:

jwhistler

Aug 23, 2010
TCL 10 5G
Moto G Stylus 5G
No way I'm taking this update. I've worked too hard to get 4.3 working in a way that I'm "mostly" satisfied.with the S4's performance.

I'm rooted, which I don't want to lose because through root I've been able to freeze most of the useless crapware that Verizon and Samsung have stuffed on to this phone.

I'm also running the GEL/Google Experience Launcher found on KK 4.4 so, for all practical purposes, my phone is as updated as I need or want it to be.

Bloodcrav

Dec 3, 2011
It's gonna be the same old story. The person takes the update then two weeks later everybody is pissed because there's no root method or they can't downgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
Once Verizon sends that OTA this way these forums are going to be littered with alllll sorts of nonsense like the sprint one are now. Trying to talk people down from the ledge after they Odin mk2 once they see they really don't like kitkat.... seriously it's been happening all day over there lol

Yeah they are saying stuff like Samsung replaced Google's emojis with their own, even in hangouts and Google keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: meechy704

tech_head

No way I'm taking this update. I've worked too hard to get 4.3 working in a way that I'm "mostly" satisfied.with the S4's performance.

I'm rooted, which I don't want to lose because through root I've been able to freeze most of the useless crapware that Verizon and Samsung have stuffed on to this phone.

Yep, running 4.3 with Wanam, Wallet and tethering working fine.
Not willing to give that up for 4.4.

This is my last Samdung phone anyway. Completely turned off by KNOX and the S5 just isn't enough of an upgrade to separate me from $600+.

Reactions: curryinaninstant

eklipz3

Feb 6, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
U would have to Odin back to stock. Mk2 or mj7 which ever ur phone is running. Then take the update

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

I feel u on being safe strapped in but I've been an exclusive hyperdrive flasher. Been in all his ROMs even when I was mdk. The man is a genius. Best tw ROM out but that's just my opinion. Yea all these new ROMs popping up looks fun but there's nothing like HD RLS. :thumbup:

+1

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
any idea if the kitkat update, when it comes, will be like the s5's version of touchwiz as revealed yesterday? or is that an s5 exclusive thing?

for reference if you haven't seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUX2t1QjfVw

Well my sprint s4 already got the 4.4 update and it looks just like 4.3 lol so the s5 is going to have a few different things I think that make it stand out

Reactions: coltonwood

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
well dang. i know some people had the update but i hadn't looked into it enough i guess. thanks for the reply buddy.

No prob. All in all the s5 is noting more than an s4.5 if you ask me lol
At least people can get their heart rate right from the phone once they realize that themselves after buying it...

coltonwood

Jun 28, 2012
Winnsboro
www.facebook.com
At least people can get their heart rate right from the phone once they realize that themselves after buying it...

i definitely agree. kinda sad. the touchwiz looked a little weird, but i would have liked to have tried it out, which is the only reason i ask. otherwise, i'm perfectly happy with my s4 (running Nova anyway lol).

fillyo

Aug 18, 2010

Did you have the S3? Did you say the S4 was an S3.5? The differences between the two were greater than I thought, I owned the S3 for over a year before picking up an S4. I am sure it will be the same way going from the S4 to the S5.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Did you have the S3? Did you say the S4 was an S3.5? The differences between the two were greater than I thought, I owned the S3 for over a year before picking up an S4. I am sure it will be the same way going from the S4 to the S5.

I myself didn't have the s3 but my girl did and I think there was definitely a lot of improvements going from the s3 to s4 for sure... But not as many going from the s4 to s5.
Snapdragon 800 or 801 whatever it is.. And a slightly better camera just don't do it for me. Sure having it be more water resistant and the other gimmicky things are Cool but not a deal breaker for me.

It's still an awesome phone, I just think they dropped the ball and left the door open for companies like HTC to pass them up.

R

richii0207

I myself didn't have the s3 but my girl did and I think there was definitely a lot of improvements going from the s3 to s4 for sure... But not as many going from the s4 to s5.
Snapdragon 800 or 801 whatever it is.. And a slightly better camera just don't do it for me. Sure having it be more water resistant and the other gimmicky things are Cool but not a deal breaker for me.

It's still an awesome phone, I just think they dropped the ball and left the door open for companies like HTC to pass them up.

Are cell phones suppose to have a blu-ray player with satellite TV, i7 cpu to play flappy bird smoothly, 4k display on a small screen to watch YouTube?

Don't mean to sound rude, but I would like opinions. If you were a cellphone manufacturer, what would YOU have done?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Are cell phones suppose to have a blu-ray player with satellite TV, i7 cpu to play flappy bird smoothly, 4k display on a small screen to watch YouTube?

Don't mean to sound rude, but I would like opinions. If you were a cellphone manufacturer, what would YOU have done?

Alright. You like the S5 a lot. That's fine. Not saying it's a bad phone, I just think it could have had some more done to it in the way of build quality and perhaps more or a revamp on its TW to name a few.

http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3503692/samsung-galaxy-s5-hands-on-review/

I get what you're saying I wasn't meaning that the phones junk. Just that they could have done some things different, but hey not every phone a company makes has to be totally different from the last. And it's just my opinion.

Here is another great site I base my opinion on
http://www.gizmag.com/galaxy-s5-vs-galaxy-s4/30985/

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no experience with finding exploits or any other magical feats, but I was wondering how this all works. I tried to search for the info but the actual process to find exploits was lacking. Could you explain a little or point me in the right place? Also, how could I get get a look at bootloader etc. files? Is it something that I can pull from the phone or whatever? Thank for any help you can give.

It's not some "weekend project". The people that do it are extremely good at what they do. And what they do is rip apart kernel code looking for permission escalation exploits. Tools like IDA Pro make it a lot "easier" but it's extremely difficult and tedious work. Once a permission escalation exploit is found, then code has to be written to take advantage of it. That's what the root exploits are....they're pieces of code that execute in a specific way to escalate privs so that the system partition can be written to and the su binary pushed to it. It was difficult before, but, now things like SE Linux and KNOX make it even more difficult....preventing found escalation exploits from actually being used. I've been a software engineer professionally for 19 years and I can tell you this level of reverse engineering is well beyond my capabilities. Dan R is a professional in the field of kernel security. I don't know JCase's background but clearly he's got a good grasp of kernel security, as well. These guys literally spend hours/days/weeks pouring over code to find exploits. And it only gets harder as they're patched when found and measures taken to prevent exploiting them in the first place. I sincerely wish more people had an appreciation of what goes into finding and exploiting permission escalations for root. Maybe then people wouldn't be so hasty to upgrade and start asking "when is root going to be found" an hour later.
    NC5 is on sammobile

Im uploading the no-wipe and full-wipe Odin tars right now
    It's not some "weekend project". The people that do it are extremely good at what they do. And what they do is rip apart kernel code looking for permission escalation exploits. Tools like IDA Pro make it a lot "easier" but it's extremely difficult and tedious work. Once a permission escalation exploit is found, then code has to be written to take advantage of it. That's what the root exploits are....they're pieces of code that execute in a specific way to escalate privs so that the system partition can be written to and the su binary pushed to it. It was difficult before, but, now things like SE Linux and KNOX make it even more difficult....preventing found escalation exploits from actually being used. I've been a software engineer professionally for 19 years and I can tell you this level of reverse engineering is well beyond my capabilities. Dan R is a professional in the field of kernel security. I don't know JCase's background but clearly he's got a good grasp of kernel security, as well. These guys literally spend hours/days/weeks pouring over code to find exploits. And it only gets harder as they're patched when found and measures taken to prevent exploiting them in the first place. I sincerely wish more people had an appreciation of what goes into finding and exploiting permission escalations for root. Maybe then people wouldn't be so hasty to upgrade and start asking "when is root going to be found" an hour later.
    That right there was the most awesome informative answer I've seen on xda in a long time!!
    Everyone stop and think for a second. People will flash this and lose root. We're examining it and thinking of a game plan right now so if you want to keep root sit tight for a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    No need for discussion Naddict I got this.

P.S.A

Don't take the update