Open source driver for FIMG 3DSE (GPU of Galaxy 3)

Search This thread

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
In your status page only about 30 of 52 are done. It's just 60%. And without fully working this driver we can't expect any working textures in games. Even angry birds are mostly without them. And as i understand quality of video depends on FIMG drivers as they are base of all graphics in android. Or i'm not right? I think there should be any hardware acceleration.

I don't think there are any developers left here with g3 phone. If they are they've already made a fully working ports.

So i expect my phone die with 2.2 :)

The status page just lists implemented OpenGL ES features. They are not of equal importance. All the most important ones are already implemented. This translates to about 90% of typical usage of OpenGL ES API.

Angry Birds is not the best example here, because it has missing textures not because of an unimplemented feature, but rather because of the way of managing texture memory in OpenFIMG, which needs improvement for cases where more memory is needed than is available (Angry Birds is an example of such case).

As for video, I will repeat again, OpenFIMG is not responsible for video processing in any way. There is a dedicated set of hardware devices on S5P6442 which can do it - hardware encoder/decoder (FIMV-MFC) and video postprocessor and scaler (FIMV-PP).

hillbeast

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2011
Dunedin
AFAIK the video playback is fully working on CM7. I don't know if it works on CM9, but it should be fully working on CM7 which is really what we should be targetting with the Galaxy 3. Not even Google wants ARMv6 phones on ICS because there's just so much more that ICS wants to do that is too much for the ARMv6 core to handle. We may have a very late ARMv6 based processor that may share a lot with the S5PV210 (The Galaxy S processor) but that doesn't change the fact the CPU is tiny. Really tiny.

sad96

Jan 13, 2012
Saint-Petersburg
AFAIK the video playback is fully working on CM7. I don't know if it works on CM9, but it should be fully working on CM7 which is really what we should be targetting with the Galaxy 3. Not even Google wants ARMv6 phones on ICS because there's just so much more that ICS wants to do that is too much for the ARMv6 core to handle. We may have a very late ARMv6 based processor that may share a lot with the S5PV210 (The Galaxy S processor) but that doesn't change the fact the CPU is tiny. Really tiny.

Yes. I agree that video works on cm7. But quallity is awfull. And also cm7 works faster than 2.2. But why is quality in cm7 worse than in 2.2?
I understand that ics+ needs more resources than our phone has. But 2.3 is much faster than 4.0+ and even 2.2.

Sent from my GT-I5800 powered by KISADWORX ROM v2.6.2

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
I don't know if it's usefull or not but here is the samsung fimg sources (for spica, probably (very) old)

With OpenFIMG in its current status, it isn't of much use. All of the hardware functionality supported by those sources is already implemented in OpenFIMG, so for learning about the hardware reading sources of OpenFIMG and available hardware documentation will be a much better choice. In addition those sources are stripped down from shader compiler (which was buggy and slow anyway), so there isn't any new information there.

OpenFIMG is mostly missing several high-level parts, like texture memory swapping (which would be made redundant after using CMA to allocate texture memory), decompression of compressed textures unsupported by the hardware and some OpenGL ES extensions, all of which don't touch the hardware too much.

hillbeast

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2011
Dunedin
Yes. I agree that video works on cm7. But quallity is awfull. And also cm7 works faster than 2.2. But why is quality in cm7 worse than in 2.2?
I understand that ics+ needs more resources than our phone has. But 2.3 is much faster than 4.0+ and even 2.2.

Sent from my GT-I5800 powered by KISADWORX ROM v2.6.2

What do you mean by 'quality is awful'? Colours wrong? Pixelated? Glitchy? I don't understand.

Reactions: sudersanmurthy

D@rekills4

Nov 6, 2010
I certainly don't see any pixelation in videos.
But I can say that the FPS at which the videos are played is quite low for 360p videos. 240p works just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanislaus

aarrun

Jan 12, 2011
Mumbai
videos are glitchy, framerates are a bit low not as smooth as they wer in froyo, and and they are pixelated the videos dont look smooth as in froyo kinda like n smooth borders hard edges and a bit low clored. this is not a complaint plz dont take it wrongly. i have a suggestion too...... y dont we better use old sam drivers until the open fimg thingy is completely fixed. :p...

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
videos are glitchy, framerates are a bit low not as smooth as they wer in froyo, and and they are pixelated the videos dont look smooth as in froyo kinda like n smooth borders hard edges and a bit low clored. this is not a complaint plz dont take it wrongly. i have a suggestion too...... y dont we better use old sam drivers until the open fimg thingy is completely fixed. :p...

Haven't I already said that OpenFIMG is _NOT_ responsible for video playback in any way. Video is fully handled by OpenCORE or OpenMAX on Android and they use completely different hardware than the FIMG-3DSE GPU handled by OpenFIMG.

Please at least read the last page (not even several last pages, which would be even better) before posting something that has been already said to be incorrect.

OpenFIMG is used in CM7 to remove the need to replace a big part of Android graphics stack with code from Android 2.2, because the one in 2.3 relies on functionality broken in old drivers. It is even more important in further CM versions for G3, because you can't transplant graphics stack from Android 2.2 to Android 4.x, so OpenFIMG is the only way to get hardware acceleration.

Last edited:

Stanislaus

Apr 19, 2012
Bridgetown
Well I got very good playback on YouTube with HD enabled when I was on 8.3 with the 1GHz #888 kernel. Flash that kernel it might work.

Sent from my SG 580 powered by CM7.

Reactions: ilievski.ace

Arjav23

Mar 21, 2012
Mumbai
Well, I consider the state of OpenFIMG acceptable already. Games have never been a target of this project and problems with videos you mentioned have nothing to do with OpenFIMG - there is a separate video codec hardware, for which there is simply no driver for newer ROMs (there was some work done in enabling it in CM7, but I'm not sure what happened with it).

If you still want those games so badly, there is a lot of skilled developers on xda-developers and I don't believe there is no one that could fix those remaining problems. At this time I don't have any plans for doing it myself. I have work, studies, home, my other personal projects (mostly mainline Linux support for hardware platforms I have at home), which already occupy most of my time and I'd like to still find some to rest from all of that.

I have a long term plan to add OpenGL ES 2.0 support (including a shader compiler) to OpenFIMG as a part of my Master's thesis ("Shader code generation and optimization for Samsung FIMG-3DSE GPU") and also migrate G3D module to the Direct Rendering Manager subsystem and mainline it, but this is going to take a lot of time and it shouldn't be expected earlier than in next year. I doubt someone will be still using a G3 at that time (but this is my personal project, so this is not a problem).

i will definitely have g3 nxt yr
Am never gonna sell it irrespective of whether i get a new phone or not

You know, G3 dev on XDA has taught mee one thing.....

Never to give up and how to make the best use of what we have
i wud hav never imagined six toggles,brightness bar,swipe to remove on Froyo (hats off to all froyo dev) and the hardwrk of marcel (Which is worth saluting)

(SORRY 4 BEING a LITTLE OFF TOPIC AND philosophical)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am posting here as I am not allowed to do so in development subforum.

Anyway, I am the developer of the OpenFIMG project (formerly GLES6410), which is aiming to provide proper OpenGL support on devices with FIMG 3DSE 3D engine, found in S3C6410, S5PC100 and probably also in S5P6442. The project is in a pretty advanced state as it is already capable of running Android 2.3 with hardware acceleration. Still many OpenGL extensions and some core features (like lighting) are still missing. More info can be found here: https://github.com/tom3q/openfimg/wiki.

It is very likely (and almost confirmed) that the SoC used in Galaxy 3 (S5P6442) contains the same GPU as the one in S3C6410, which is the chip inside Galaxy Spica and similar phones, at least basing on what Quadrant and GLbenchmark show and on GL libraries supposed to be dumped from Galaxy 3.

What I am trying to say is that my project may also be useful on Galaxy 3, but I am the only developer working on it and I am doing it in my free time, so it does not progress as fast as one may expect. In other words, I am looking for some other developers interested in this project.

If you are interested, then do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Mod EDIT : moving this to development

EDIT: Attached some documents about FIMG 3DSE (based on S3C6410 documentation and my reverse engineering)

EDIT: The project has been successfully used on G3. Builds of ICS for G3 use OpenFIMG as primary graphics driver currently and there are update packages for CM7.
    I was talking with my boss today regarding my personal open source contributions related to Samsung hardware and he told me that there shouldn't be any problems with OpenFIMG, although to be safe I will have to let him look through any changes and officially accept them before publication. Those which can potentially reveal any sensitive information will have to go through Korea, but there shouldn't be any problems.

So basically the project is still alive.
    I've got a G3 now (thanks to the donator, I'm not sure if he wants to be named), so I might be able to help with kernel porting and test OpenFIMG on G3 ROMs and do any necessary improvements.
    I just wanted to get this thread back on top and aks if you're still busy tom ;)
    I'd love to see an update of this driver, really appreciate your work!

Well, I'm now taking a break after the exams till the end of this week, then I'm going to finish my libcamera implementation for the 3.x kernel (for Spica currently and later also for G3) and will see what to do after that, 3.x kernel for G3 or something for OpenFIMG.
    Very interesting .. I send you PM.