Official ICS & JELLY BEAN discussion/speculation thread

Search This thread

diabolic

Dec 19, 2007
I think its safe to say that nobody will see ICS for their Tabs until they see the Tab 2's in stores in their area (country). Samsung might be ignorant to the fact that their empty promises are pissing people off but they aren't stupid. Asus was the same way. As soon as their Prime was out, and the early adopters had purchased their new tablets they released ICS for the transformer. Samsung will be the same way.

Reactions: sedward

t1mman

Oct 8, 2008
I think its safe to say that nobody will see ICS for their Tabs until they see the Tab 2's in stores in their area (country). Samsung might be ignorant to the fact that their empty promises are pissing people off but they aren't stupid. Asus was the same way. As soon as their Prime was out, and the early adopters had purchased their new tablets they released ICS for the transformer. Samsung will be the same way.

They did not do the such with SIII/SII, what makes you beleive they would for the tab?

shadowxxx

Feb 28, 2007
Bucharest
:( Sorry but my next tablet will not be Samsung ... I think a lack of gratitude that after doing an aggressive marketing promotion of a product, after sales of very large to neglect updates in favor of other new models appeared. OK and they should be sold, but not in this style!

Reactions: GorillaPimp

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
:( Sorry but my next tablet will not be Samsung ... I think a lack of gratitude that after doing an aggressive marketing promotion of a product, after sales of very large to neglect updates in favor of other new models appeared. OK and they should be sold, but not in this style!

I know, I wish I would have taken a picture of the sign when I bought my tab. It said right on there "upgraded soon to ICS"

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Watford John

Jan 2, 2008
Agreed. Meanwhile my wife's Asus Transformer received another firmware update yesterday...

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I'm also personally inclined to look elsewhere for my next tablet - not because of the firmware (none of my Android devices stay stock for very long and you can pretty much always guarantee Samsung's flagship phones and tablets will get good Dev support) but rather the poor quality of the hardware.
My Tab has a massive Newton Rings smear across it and that's just not good enough IMO.

That said, I would never preclude Samsung from my considerations, merely that if all other factors were equal, I would err on the side of choosing the other brand.

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
I'm also personally inclined to look elsewhere for my next tablet - not because of the firmware (none of my Android devices stay stock for very long and you can pretty much always guarantee Samsung's flagship phones and tablets will get good Dev support) but rather the poor quality of the hardware.
My Tab has a massive Newton Rings smear across it and that's just not good enough IMO.

That said, I would never preclude Samsung from my considerations, merely that if all other factors were equal, I would err on the side of choosing the other brand.

I also had massive newton rings but I phoned up Samsung UK and they said they would repair it free. The next day a bag arrived and the same day I sent it off. It took 2 days to be repaired and one more for it to arrive back to me. I was considering never getting a Samsung tab again, but it was just so easy to be repaired. Also, my s2 the vibration broke after I had had it for 10 months and a very large drop on concrete, I phoned Samsung uk up and the same thing happened, apart from it took a couple of days longer. But with my old htc desire the screen kept flickering like crazy after I first tuned it on out the box, trying to get htc to repair it was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done. What I am trying to say is, why don't you see it you can get it fixed for free?

Due to the lack of update support, I am inclined to give Samsung tabs a miss in the future, but who to go with next? Obviously not an Ipad, as I can't do anything on it I would want to on it and my app ecosystem is with android. Asus, using tegra 3 SOCs enough said. Acer's looks ugly. Sony, I think all their tabs look ridiculous. Motorola is worth considering. I defiantly wan't another tab after my galaxy tab 10.1, but what? I will probably wait to see what Samsung brings to the market, but with every company there products have a weakness. I can only hope someone will release a perfect tab. I would defiantly get a nexus tab if the specs are good enough. :) I can only dream of a perfect tab, I would love a 2ghz dual or quad core cortex A15 with a Mali-T658 gpu 28nm SOC. With a 10.1 1080p screen, with a 10+ hour battery, and still be very light and thin, if only... Anyway, sorry for the rant :)

Last edited:

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
- Why everybody don't by a tablet for the next 6 month.
- Then the guys will react and do something.
- Because the money is a holy thing for them.

No money:
= no new house
= no new prosche
= only angry customers
= smasung, apple, asus and more then are out of business.

Possible xda must be think to produce a own one will all things we need.
#By a free one with a very good hardware and flash new things and all is good, i hope :p

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Asus was the same way. As soon as their Prime was out, and the early adopters had purchased their new tablets they released ICS for the transformer. Samsung will be the same way.

Not true.

The Prime originally shipped with Honeycomb and was subsequently upgraded to ICS a few weeks later. It's not too surprising that the earlier Transformer was upgraded to ICS after the Prime, but it wasn't too long after.

Even the original Transformer saw an upgrade to 3.2 way before the Samsung, so to tar Asus with the same brush is being unfair to Asus.

As someone who owned a TF101, and owns a TF201 and a Samsung GT10.1, I can assure you that Asus are far better than Samsung at delivering updates!

Regards,

Dave

Greg Tolan

Dec 27, 2010
New York
- why everybody don't by a tablet for the next 6 month.
- then the guys will react and do something.
- because the money is a holy thing for them.

No money:
= no new house
= no new prosche
= only angry customers
= smasung, apple, asus and more then are out of business.

Possible xda must be think to produce a own one will all things we need.
#by a free one with a very good hardware and flash new things and all is good, i hope :p

dafuq he just say?

Reactions: n2mschf and t1mman

stickjt

Mar 13, 2012
lapu lapu city
Why do you say that ?

Samsung issue a worldwide warranty as far as I am aware if you are the original purchaser. If you bought it secondhand I guess you are out of luck.

no its not a worldwide warranty,his warranty is only good in usa. i bought mine there also and have screen problems went thru support and contacted samsung. they wont warranty it unless i sent it back to usa then to them.

Euroman28

Apr 9, 2009
Aalborg
So what about global galaxy tab 10.1?? When will they get ICS?

I have a GT 10.1 with 3G and live in Denmark, no ICS update here yet.

gardengnome

Oct 14, 2010
Custom ROMs

I have a GT 10.1 with 3G and live in Denmark, no ICS update here yet.

You should have a look at the developers forums. They are tinkering with the ICS sourcecodes. I'm using 4.0.4 on the Tab for a couple of weeks which is quite the experience of a completly new device. Fact is that the camera isn't working. But most can live with that.

Shame Samsung leaves us waiting. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a forum for smartphones and tablets.

If you want to talk politics, go somewhere else - such discussion is not welcome here.
    Mod edit:
    No offence intended to the original OP but this thread has strayed far from it's original purpose.
    So from here on out, it's now the focal point for all ICS-related discussion and all the spam that accompanies that.​

Mod edit #2:
    This is now also the official discussion speculation thread for Jelly Bean.
    Given there hasn't been an official ICS release yet, I see no reason to have two speculation threads on the go at the same time.​

-Step666

Edit #3: ICS Has officially been released in the UK and developers have already made roms for it. Please go to http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1053 for Latest information about ICS ROMs.
    The thread has been cleaned and re-opened - please refrain from dragging it off-topic again.

If people do insist on dragging this down into petty bickering and flaming, they will face serious sanctions.
    I don't mind to be thanked, maybe you do, but I liked to take your mood down lol
    Anyway this the truth, you like it or not.

Actually, this is as far from the truth as it can be

It is speculation based on speculation, the fact that you consider it for "the truth" can only show how big your ego is and how wrong you can be.

The only thing "truth" about your statement is the fact that you like to take "our mood down", ie: Being a troll!
    I now have started a petition to collect users demanding an ICS-update for Galaxy Tabs 10.1, Tab 8.9, Tab 7.7, Tab 7.0 Plus including source code now.

The link is as followed:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ics-android-40-ice-cream-sandwich-update-for/

Ok, I don't even know why I am contributing to your trollish post....but in case you didn't know Samsung has planned to release ics....

so...

Why would anyone sign such a petition?????

As for the "demanding" and "now".... well I am sure they could give the update now but I strongly believe it will be as buggy as hell...just look at the sgs2 ics update...

For the last time I take part to such conversation. Be well everyone!

Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab :)