[How-to][ruu] flash Rom.zip to factory

Search This thread

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
I guess there is no way to be s-off, then get all the way back to locked and stock RUU and it still say "locked" on the bootloader, huh? Mine now says relocked, and i haven't RUU'ed yet.

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
I guess there is no way to be s-off, then get all the way back to locked and stock RUU and it still say "locked" on the bootloader, huh? Mine now says relocked, and i haven't RUU'ed yet.
I believe the RUU will put you back 100% stock including bootloader and recovery. I'll let you know once I'm finished ruu'ing... lol

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
Does anyone know if I need to do this before I use RUU tool? Because I tried qbking77 tut and bricked my device. This is my first HTC one device and I was able to unlock bootloader and flash custom recovery and adb sideload Rom.zip. so can someone shed some light here. As I have a couple questions.
Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

PillowMetal

Aug 18, 2010
Layton, UT
swaynesworld.net
Does anyone know if I need to do this before I use RUU tool? Because I tried qbking77 tut and bricked my device. This is my first HTC one device and I was able to unlock bootloader and flash custom recovery and adb sideload Rom.zip. so can someone shed some light here. As I have a couple questions.

The instructions in the OP do the same thing as using an RUU executable, this just happens to be the ROM.zip that gets created in your Windows temporary directory from the RUU executable. It's just a more direct way of flashing the RUU using the bootloader.

Truthfully, running the RUU executable performs a few other checks like what your current version is and asks you if you want to continue etc., but it then just uses the ROM.zip to restore your device.

Were you S-Off before your device got bricked? Did doing ADB Sideload brick your device, because I don't think you can flash an RUU that way, the RUU ROM zip does not flash from custom recovery like other zips.

If you can get into fastboot in the bootloader, you can use the method in the OP, otherwise you will have to try the RUU executable which is run from Windows usually while the phone is booted into Android. Either method should run whether you are locked, custom recovery, etc. The only thing that will cause problems is if you are on a newer version trying to go back to an earlier version and you are S-On. If you are S-Off it doesn't matter.

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
The instructions in the OP do the same thing as using an RUU executable, this just happens to be the ROM.zip that gets created in your Windows temporary directory from the RUU executable. It's just a more direct way of flashing the RUU using the bootloader.

Truthfully, running the RUU executable performs a few other checks like what your current version is and asks you if you want to continue etc., but it then just uses the ROM.zip to restore your device.

Were you S-Off before your device got bricked? Did doing ADB Sideload brick your device, because I don't think you can flash an RUU that way, the RUU ROM zip does not flash from custom recovery like other zips.

If you can get into fastboot in the bootloader, you can use the method in the OP, otherwise you will have to try the RUU executable which is run from Windows usually while the phone is booted into Android. Either method should run whether you are locked, custom recovery, etc. The only thing that will cause problems is if you are on a newer version trying to go back to an earlier version and you are S-On. If you are S-Off it doesn't matter.

okay i was s-on... see this is the thing thats got me. i was s-on trying to follow the step as shown the video. but when it got to image version comparison, mine was different. im on 1.29.651.10. was able to unlock bootloader and flash recovery.. then sideload a rom. after that im booted up and ready to go again. but i did notice when i try to ruu like the video with phone on, not bootloader.. accidently forgot that i was unlocked. i ran the ruu and my image versions matched! but stil got error code at the end. i believe error code 153/55 or something like that. well i redid the steps above got my phone booted up like normal and now im just trying to figure this out. can anyone team viewer with me? im not a nood but im just used nexus devices lol. this is my first htc. so not what do i now bc im running out of ideas here.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

im on version 1.29.651.10. and the files provided will not work unless im s-off, correct? bc im am currently s-on. what is the deal with firmwares as i am a little confused. thanks for the reply btw.

PillowMetal

Aug 18, 2010
Layton, UT
swaynesworld.net
im on version 1.29.651.10. and the files provided will not work unless im s-off, correct? bc im am currently s-on. what is the deal with firmwares as i am a little confused. thanks for the reply btw.

Firmware is the stuff you can't fastboot flash like radios and other partitions that deal directly with the hardware. S-On people have to RUU or OTA to get those updates with signed zip files. Which means they also get the new bootloader, kernel, etc. which they may or may not want if they are on a custom ROM.

Since you are on 1.29.651.10, the RUU executable file (and even just the ROM zip) will work whether you are S-On or S-Off, because they are signed. The RUU is for that same version and just brings you back to stock.

It sounds like the first time you ran it you got error 155 which is reminding you that you did not lock your bootloader. If you then locked your bootloader and re-ran the RUU to success, you are now on version 1.29.651.10 stock, just like you got it from the store. There is nothing more to do here. You have all the ROM software and firmware compatible with this version.

You may then notice that you are getting a system notification informing you there is a newer version 1.31.651.2 available as an OTA (over the air update). If you have no plans to go S-Off, you can take the update and it will give you the new software and firmware for that version. There is currently no RUU for that version.

However, there is no going back to an earlier version once this is done if you are S-On. Additionally, if you decide you want S-Off later, revone and moonshine do not work on that version. Both will work on version 1.29.651.10, but apparently only if your hboot is version 1.44 and dated May 8. If you have hboot 1.44 June 21, people have had problems getting S-Off.

Last edited:

Techno Droid

Aug 8, 2011
Chicago
I'm going to open a thread and show what I have and the problems I am encountering maybe along with a video for ppl that are stuck in the bootloader how to unlock bootloader and flash recovery.

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012
Were you able to get back to stock and have it say "locked" (not "relocked") on the bootloader?

Well maybe these pics will tell you more than I can. Sorry I didn't post back sooner. Recovery & bootloader after running this ruu. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377170805755.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377170805755.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 705
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377170829762.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377170829762.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 566

neehow

Mar 28, 2013
Well maybe these pics will tell you more than I can. Sorry I didn't post back sooner. Recovery & bootloader after running this ruu. Hope this helps.

That's awesome. I'm still new at this...how did you get it to "locked" vs. "relocked"?? I was on the 1.31.651.2 update and used the process 18th.abn posted here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2251800

...to get back to 1.29.651.7 with the encrypted Rom.zip. Mine now shows "relocked" though. I'd like to get it back to "locked" because the proximity sensor went bad (while it was stock). Still possible to get back to "locked"?

Last edited:

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012
That's awesome. I'm still new at this...how did you get it to "locked" vs. "relocked"?? I was on the 1.31.651.2 update and used the process 18th.abn posted here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2251800

...to get back to 1.29.651.7 with the encrypted Rom.zip. Mine now shows "relocked" though. I'd like to get it back to "locked" because the proximity sensor went bad (while it was stock). Still possible to get back to "locked"?

I followed This thread and my bootloader ended up "locked" and not "relocked" Hope this helps you.

neehow

Mar 28, 2013
I followed This thread and my bootloader ended up "locked" and not "relocked" Hope this helps you.

Thanks man, I ended up getting the same thing. I wasn't sure since the videos say it will show "relocked", but I ended up with "locked" and S-On. I had to mail it back to get the proximity sensor repaired, so this was a huge relief. :good:

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012
Thanks man, I ended up getting the same thing. I wasn't sure since the videos say it will show "relocked", but I ended up with "locked" and S-On. I had to mail it back to get the proximity sensor repaired, so this was a huge relief. :good:

Great to hear it worked for ya, be sure and thank the op for the ruu you ran as well.

prasadnaidu66

Dec 22, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Help Please

sry this is not related to varient.. i need help from developers

My phone HTC ONE M7 International and unlocked .. But S-ON ( hboot is 1.54)

my OS version 2.24.707.3

But ruu not avaliable for my version give me suggestion

i am using custom rom

Current i am using TWRP 2.6.1.0 and update through TWRP 2.6.3.0 through recovery and rebooted to recovery success

Now my phone just constantly reboots itself, it gets to the HTC splash screen for less than a second, and then reboots again.

I am not able to enter custom recovery. when i am select recovery option from bootloader it showing entering to recovery struck and rebooting . so i am not able to flash anything

Even i install twrp and cwm and stock through fastboot .. and i flashed stock kernel alsothrough fastboot still i am not able to enter recovery and i tried relock and unlock. stili am facing small problem ..Not booting my phone and rebooting Any solution ??

Reactions: gsmsudan

mcarswell

Sep 5, 2010

I followed that same thread but mine says "relocked" and it still says S-OFF. is it possible to get it to say "locked" without going through the whole process of unlocking, rooting, and using revone?

I'm sending my phone back to get the screen replaced which isn't under warranty, so does it even matter that it says "relocked?"

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Its been awhile since I had to do this. I want to downgrade to a 1.29.651.7 custom ROM.

Current setup( Just bought 09/25/2013)

Build: 1.31.651.2
Radio: 1.00.20.0626
Rooted, Unlocked and S-off on HBoot 1.44.0000

Am I able to downgrade?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For this quick how-to I will be using the file name Rom.zip as default for the Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_1.29.651.7_encrypted_ROM-1.zip firmware download available from
    O.M.J. here (use ENCRYPTED version)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40712553

From fastboot you need to first re-lock your bootloader

fastboot oem lock

Once locked it will boot back into bootloader

fastboot oem rebootRUU

Now your booted to the black HTC screen. Make sure your Rom.zip file is in your adb/fastboot folder

fastboot flash zip Rom.zip

This takes a couple minutes and you will most likely get a error
    (pre-hboot update: please flush immediately)

Make sure device is still in ruu mode(black HTC screen). If not rerun

fastboot oem rebootRUU

now simply reflash the rom.zip

fastboot flash zip Rom.zip

Let it run and it should finish this time

It will reboot to a fully stock build.

just remember, anytime you get a "flush immediately" error, just make sure your still in ruu mode and reflash the zip.

The most common error is typically

(Error 155)
    You did not re lock your bootloader first
    -go relock and flash again
    Hey kids, it's fastboot oem rebootRUU :) nice tutorial!

This guy is a straight ****ing boss, just teamviewered and fixed everything back to normal out of the box in 30 minutes. Thanks for that I certainly would not have known how to trick the program like you did. Thanks a million bro.
    I am getting the same issue I need help, I just bought the phone 4 days ago but I did not accidentally flash a bad rom or anything I am just trying to get back to factory and have tried running the exe and using cmd prompt but I get the same check fail.
    Check PM :D
    Any idea on 22 error?
    Need more info such as...
    s-on or s-off?
    What RUU are you trying to flash?
    Did you re-lock your bootloader if you are s-on?

22 ERROR [300] : INVALID UPDATE TOOL
    This error message will appear when you use the incorrect RUU version to upgrade.