[Guide] Get S-OFF hboot 1.55 after OTA or RumRunner failed (pouring 8)

Search This thread

jluca98

Aug 27, 2013
Update 1: Before following this guide, you should try using the tool from http://firewater-soff.com to obtain S-OFF. If it does not work then proceed with the following guide.

I do NOT take any credit for this guide.

You can thank BD619 for walking me through all this and the updated command, Indirect for the original commands, benny3 for his awesome ROM, O.M.J for his 3.04.651.2 RUU and for his 3.05.651.6 Firmware, and RumRunner for their awesome S-Off tool!

Also, if anything goes wrong I can try to help you, but the only person responsible is yourself for not following the guide 100%. I have done this all myself and it worked like a charm.

After 3.04.651.2, attempting to achieve S-Off with rumrunner will fail every time after the pouring 8 stage. This guide will show you how to change your version number in order to install an older RUU. After installing the older RUU, then you can proceed to unlock the bootloader, download benny3's Stock ROM (Link Below), flash it after a full wipe, and finally run rumrunner again with success. From there you can optionally update your firmware (Link Below) and flash a ROM of your choice. Once official kitkat is released this guide will not work because the hboot will be different than the one found in the RUU

Changing the Mainver

Before doing all of this, you should backup all your applications and other data with Titanium Backup which can be found in the Play Store. Once your backup is complete, you must copy the titanium backup folder found on your internal storage to your computer because the RUU will wipe the entire storage. Copy any other things you may need including Photos, Music, and Downloads to your computer so you can restore them later. Also, make sure you are on hboot 1.55. I have not tested this with any other hboot but it is confirmed working on hboot 1.55.

1. Make sure the ADB drivers are set up properly in recovery. I used TWRP but other recoveries should be fine.

2. Boot into recovery and connect the phone to the computer.

3. Open the command prompt, and type in adb devices A string of letters and numbers should pop up. This is only to test the ADB drivers and make sure they are working properly.

4. Now type adb shell and press enter.

5. Now type this exactly as it is here echo "3.04.651.2" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 bs=1 seek=160 with the quotes around the version number. After entering the command, it will say failed in the window but just ingnore that.

^^^I recommend you copy and paste to avoid typos.

6. Now enter adb reboot bootloader into the prompt. Your phone will now reboot bootloader and you should see your version number changed to 3.04.651.2.

7. As most of you may know, in order to install a RUU you must relock the bootloader, so click on fastboot on the phone and make sure it says fastboot usb. From here type in fastboot oem lock. Now the bootloader is locked.

Essentially, all we did up to this point is change the version number in order to trick the RUU into installing, and lock the bootloader also for the RUU to work.

Installing the RUU

8. Now you have to download the 3.04.651.2 RUU from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2508907. The zip or exe is fine. Do not use the decrypted version.

9. Once downloaded, put the phone into fastboot usb mode, and run the exe. If you downloaded the zip, follow the instruction in the link above to install it.

Flashing the custom ROM

10. Once the RUU is complete you will have to download benny3's ROM from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47048176&postcount=2. Either odexed or deodexed is fine. I personally chose odexed but it does not matter. Once downloaded make sure the ROM is not corrupt by matching the MD5 codes, or simply opening the zip.

11. We cannot install yet however because the RUU restored the stock recovery and the bootloader is locked.

12. Unlock the bootloader by following the instructions at http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader

13. Once the bootloader is unlocked we can now flash a custom recovery. Download TWRP 2.6.3.0 from http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7wls Once it finished put phone into fastboot usb, copy the TWRP img you just downloaded into the fastboot command prompt folder, open fastboot command prompt, and type in fastboot flash recovery recovery.img Replace recovery.img in the command with the actual name of the file.

14. Once the custom recovery is installed boot into Android and copy the downloaded ROM into the internal storage, boot into recovery and do a full wipe (Dalvik Cache, Cache, Data, System). Do NOT wipe the internal storage!

15. Go back and tap install. Select the ROM you placed in the internal storage in step 11. Once it is flashed clear the dalvik cache and reboot the system.

Running RumRunner

16. Before you run RumRunner, confirm all drivers are working correctly by testing adb and fastboot commands in recovery, fastboot, and the OS. Enable USB Debugging in developer options. Set auto sleep to the maximum of ten minutes. Go to personalize, and choose the no lockscreen setting. Go to settings, power, and make sure fastboot is NOT checked. Disable firewall and anti virus programs on your computer. Run the SuperSu app and make sure all SU Binaries are updated.

17. Once you've done everything above, you can download RumRunner 0.5 from http://rumrunner.us/downloads-2/ Make sure phone is connected to PC in ADB mode, and run soju.exe as administrator. Follow the onscreen instructions.

18. Once RumRunner is complete your phone will reboot to bootloader and report S-Off.

Updating Firmware

19. Now that you are S-Off, we can move on and update the firmware. Download the Full unmodified Firmware (fastboot flashable) from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2576995 Follow the instructions in the link for a guide on how to flash the firmware.

20. Once your firmware is updated if you reboot into the OS, your touchscreen may not respond. Do not worry about that it will be fixed soon.

Flashing A Custom ROM

21. Find a ROM of your choice in the android development section or the android original development section. The ROM you choose MUST be a Sprint ROM.

22. Copy the ROM to your internal storage, reboot to recovery. and do a full wipe (Dalvik Cache, Cache, Data, System). Again, do NOT wipe the internal storage!

23. Once the wipe is complete, flash the ROM you chose and clear the dalvik cache. Reboot system and you should be good to go. Remember, the first boot takes a bit longer than usual. Give it a good ten minutes before getting worried.

24. At this point you could copy your titanium backup folder back into the internal storage. Install titanium backup from the Play Store, open it, go to menu>preferences, scroll down to backup folder location, tap it and find the backup folder you just copied to your storage. Now you can restore all the apps and data you backed up. Also, you can copy all the other things you backed up to the computer.

I know this is a long guide, but the process above works 100%, and I tried to include as many details as possible. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Also, if anyone runs into any problems, post it in the comments and maybe someone can help you.

Last edited:

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Nicely done :D

This is the command you should copy and paste into your cmd window for step 5
Code:
echo "3.04.651.2" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 bs=1 seek=160

As stated below please use at your own risk this is a VERY dangerous command if you don't know what you are doing!!!

Last edited:

jluca98

Aug 27, 2013
Thanks!

Light a fire for a man and you`ll warm him for a few hours...Light a man on fire and you`ll warm him for the rest of his life

Docarut

Nov 13, 2010

You can thank BD619 for walking me through all this and the updated command, Indirect for the original commands, benny3 for his awesome ROM, O.M.J for his 3.04.651.2 RUU and for his 3.05.651.6 Firmware, and RumRunner for their awesome S-Off tool!

Also, if anything goes wrong I can try to help you, but the only person responsible is yourself for not following the guide 100%. I have done this all myself and it worked like a charm.

After 3.04.651.2, attempting to achieve S-Off with rumrunner will fail every time after the pouring 8 stage. This guide will show you how to change your version number in order to install an older RUU. After installing the older RUU, then you can proceed to unlock the bootloader, download benny3's Stock ROM (Link Below), flash it after a full wipe, and finally run rumrunner again with success. From there you can optionally update your firmware (Link Below) and flash a ROM of your choice. Once official kitkat is released this guide will not work because the hboot will be different than the one found in the RUU

Changing the Mainver

Before doing all of this, you should backup all your applications and other data with Titanium Backup which can be found in the Play Store. Once your backup is complete, you must copy the titanium backup folder found on your internal storage to your computer because the RUU will wipe the entire storage. Copy any other things you may need including Photos, Music, and Downloads to your computer so you can restore them later.

1. Make sure you are on hboot 1.55. I have not tested this with any other hboot but it is confirmed working on hboot 1.55.

2. Make sure the ADB drivers are set up properly in recovery. I used TWRP but other recoveries should be fine.

3. Boot into recovery and connect the phone to the computer.

3. Open the command prompt, and type in <code>adb devices</code> A string of letters and numbers should pop up. This is only to test the ADB drivers and make sure they are working properly.

4. Now type <code>adb shell</code> and press enter.

5. Now type this exactly as it is here echo "3.04.651.2" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 bs=1 seek=160 with the quotes around the version number. After entering the command, it will say failed in the window but just ingnore that.

6. Now enter adb reboot bootloader into the prompt. Your phone will now reboot bootloader and you should see your version number changed to 3.04.651.2.

7. As most of you may know, in order to install a RUU you must relock the bootloader, so click on fastboot on the phone and make sure it says fastboot usb. From here type in fastboot oem lock. Now the bootloader is locked.

Essentially, all we did up to this point is change the version number in order to trick the RUU into installing, and lock the bootloader also for the RUU to work.

Installing the RUU

8. Now you have to download the 3.04.651.2 RUU from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2508907. The zip or exe is fine. Do not use the decrypted version.

9. Once downloaded, put the phone into fastboot usb mode, and run the exe. If you downloaded the zip, follow the instruction in the link above to install it.

Flashing the custom ROM

10. Once the RUU is complete you will have to download benny3's ROM from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47048176&postcount=2. Either odexed or deodexed is fine. I personally chose odexed but it does not matter. Once downloaded make sure the ROM is not corrupt by matching the MD5 codes, or simply opening the zip.

11. Boot up current ROM and copy the downloaded ROM into the internal storage. We cannot install yet however because the RUU restored the stock recovery and the bootloader is locked.

12. Unlock the bootloader by following the instructions at http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader

13. Once the bootloader is unlocked we can now flash a custom recovery. Download TWRP 2.6.3.0 from http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7wls Once it finished put phone into fastboot usb, copy the TWRP img you just downloaded into the fastboot command prompt folder, open fastboot command prompt, and type in fastboot flash recovery recovery.img Replace recovery.img in the command with the actual name of the file.

14. Once the custom recovery is installed boot into recovery and do a full wipe (Dalvik Cache, Cache, Data, System). Do NOT wipe the internal storage!

15. Go back and tap install. Select the ROM you placed in the internal storage in step 11. Once it is flashed clear the dalvik cache and reboot the system.

Running RumRunner

16. Before you run RumRunner, confirm all drivers are working correctly by testing adb and fastboot commands in recovery, fastboot, and the OS. Enable USB Debugging in developer options. Set auto sleep to the maximum of ten minutes. Go to personalize, and choose the no lockscreen setting. Go to settings, power, and make sure fastboot is NOT checked. Disable firewall and anti virus programs on your computer. Run the SuperSu app and make sure all SU Binaries are updated.

17. Once you've done everything above, you can download RumRunner 0.5 from http://rumrunner.us/downloads-2/ Make sure phone is connected to PC in ADB mode, and run soju.exe as administrator. Follow the onscreen instructions.

18. Once RumRunner is complete your phone will reboot to bootloader and report S-Off.

Updating Firmware

19. Now that you are S-Off, we can move on and update the firmware. Download the Full unmodified Firmware (fastboot flashable) from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2576995 Follow the instructions in the link for a guide on how to flash the firmware.

20. Once your firmware is updated if you reboot into the OS, your touchscreen may not respond. Do not worry about that it will be fixed soon.

Flashing A Custom ROM

21. Find a ROM of your choice in the android development section or the android original development section. The ROM you choose MUST be a Sprint ROM.

22. Copy the ROM to your internal storage, reboot to recovery. and do a full wipe (Dalvik Cache, Cache, Data, System). Again, do NOT wipe the internal storage!

23. Once the wipe is complete, flash the ROM you chose and clear the dalvik cache. Reboot system and you should be good to go. Remember, the first boot takes a bit longer than usual. Give it a good ten minutes before getting worried.

24. At this point you could copy your titanium backup folder back into the internal storage. Install titanium backup from the Play Store, open it, go to menu>preferences, scroll down to backup folder location, tap it and find the backup folder you just copied to your storage. Now you can restore all the apps and data you backed up. Also, you can copy all the other things you backed up to the computer.

I know this is a long guide, but the process above works 100%, and I tried to include as many details as possible. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Also, if anyone runs into any problems, post it in the comments and maybe someone can help you.
Thank you and Big Daddy! Only thing I noted in instructions mentioned to copy downloaded ROM to internal storage and then to unlock bootloader. However this will erase everything and therefore ROM needs to be copied after doing unlock and twrp flash after unlock. I sincerely thank you for helping me achieve S-Off.
Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jluca98

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Anyone who does not have S-OFF yet I highly suggest getting it before KitKat drops...HTC has a habit of making things harder with every OTA. Rumrunner may not work afterwards.

Last edited:

jluca98

Aug 27, 2013
Thank you and Big Daddy! Only thing I noted in instructions mentioned to copy downloaded ROM to internal storage and then to unlock bootloader. However this will erase everything and therefore ROM needs to be copied after doing unlock and twrp flash after unlock. I sincerely thank you for helping me achieve S-Off.
Doc

Ok guide was updated with proper instructions. Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad the guide worked for you!

pbassjunk

Apr 5, 2010
Nexus 7
Nexus 6
What am I doing wrong?

D:\Users\Android\HTC One\HTC Unlock>adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
FA37SSxxxxxx recovery

D:\Users\Android\HTC One\HTC Unlock>adb shell
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error:

[try again]

error: device not found

Windows 8.1 / TWRP / unlocked / fastboot works fine / etc

Last edited:

jpwhre

Aug 3, 2008
Tucson

you need to bold "echo" it took me a bit to figure I needed to copy that part of the string

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
That command is very, very dangerous if you screw up even a little -- could easily brick a device. OP, the guide is really useful for folks, but please put all the parts folks need to copy in quote blocks.

Most of the readers don't even know what the dd command is because they don't use any Unix type OS (e.g., Linux) and they are using it with full root level access.

[Edit: adding a little explanation]:
The 'dd' command is a 'direct dump' and it takes whatever you tell it from the 'if' parameter (input file) or if no 'if' flag is provided, from the standard input. The 'echo' command puts whatever you specify to the standard output (a.k.a., stdout in unix/linux terms). The vertical bar is a 'pipe' specifier and pipes the stdout of the last command to the input of the next -- in this case the 'dd' command.

So how can this all to really, really badly? Imagine, just by happenstance, the recovery shell you use sends error output to stdout (by a mistaken bug, instead of stderr which is the norm). Whatever the shell would print as the error message is going to go to the dd command as stdin and it will write that to your device where you tell it. In short, brick city.

Just by luck, imho, the user above who failed to add the "echo" was using a recovery that (very luckily) sent nothing to stdout, so dd didn't have anything to write. I'm telling you, folks, @BD619 and I both have stated on multiple occasions the raw danger here.

Be careful and DO NOT RUSH INTO THESE THINGS -- IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, EVEN IF ONLY 0.000000001% UNSURE ASK! WE WILL GET YOU SET.

Last edited:

jluca98

Aug 27, 2013

Changing the Mainver

Before doing all of this, you should backup all your applications and other data with Titanium Backup which can be found in the Play Store. Once your backup is complete, you must copy the titanium backup folder found on your internal storage to your computer because the RUU will wipe the entire storage. Copy any other things you may need including Photos, Music, and Downloads to your computer so you can restore them later. Also, make sure you are on hboot 1.55. I have not tested this with any other hboot but it is confirmed working on hboot 1.55.

1. Make sure the ADB drivers are set up properly in recovery. I used TWRP but other recoveries should be fine.

3. Open the command prompt, and type in <code>adb devices</code> A string of letters and numbers should pop up. This is only to test the ADB drivers and make sure they are working properly.

4. Now type <code>adb shell</code> and press enter.

Installing the RUU

Flashing the custom ROM

11. We cannot install yet however because the RUU restored the stock recovery and the bootloader is locked.

14. Once the custom recovery is installed boot into Android and copy the downloaded ROM into the internal storage, boot into recovery and do a full wipe (Dalvik Cache, Cache, Data, System). Do NOT wipe the internal storage!

Running RumRunner

Updating Firmware

Flashing A Custom ROM

OK command fixed in step 5.

Light a fire for a man and you`ll warm him for a few hours...Light a man on fire and you`ll warm him for the rest of his life

Last edited:

jluca98

Aug 27, 2013
What am I doing wrong?

D:\Users\Android\HTC One\HTC Unlock>adb devices
List of devices attached
FA37SSxxxxxx recovery

ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error:

[try again]

error: device not found

Windows 8.1 / TWRP / unlocked / fastboot works fine / etc

I'm not sure, maybe try another PC with windows 7, USB 2.0, and drivers installed correctly.

pbassjunk

Apr 5, 2010
Nexus 7
Nexus 6
I'm not sure, maybe try another PC with windows 7, USB 2.0, and drivers installed correctly.

After some more testing, this seems to be an 8.1 specific issue. Not sure if it's an HTC driver issue, an 8.1 USB 2/3 driver issue or something with ADB (up to date), but I tried it on an 8 laptop (USB 3 only) along with a 7 desktop (USB 2 only, older imac in bootcamp heh) and things worked as expected.

Not scientific but as close as I could get with the hardware I have. Pretty sure it's an 8.1 problem.

androidforeve

Jun 3, 2012
Looks a little complicated as much as I would love to go s-off not sure if could handle this

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

jluca98

Aug 27, 2013
Looks a little complicated as much as I would love to go s-off not sure if could handle this

Its not really that hard. If you follow instructions properly and meet the prerequisites in the OP then you will be fine. I know of multiple people who followed this guide with no problems. Try it and if you run into any issues post a comment and we will try to help you.

androidforeve

Jun 3, 2012

Thanks for the input but do I really need to be s-off? So far I can flash everything fine with no problem of course I have not tried flashing firmware or radios because I have latest ones I'm assuming that's the problem I will have but I thought I read somewhere that you can still flash firmware and radios even with s-on but I could be wrong

jpwhre

Aug 3, 2008
Tucson

Do a backup in recovery
Copy your entire internal sd to pc
Follow instructions as above
After s-off root like you did before
Move internal back to device
Restore in recovery
Good 30 minutes

I sugest you download everything first, that way your device isnt down while you wait

I only have 1 very anoying issue. Was 3.05.651.5 complete stock with root and .6 update released. I did s-off, did ota, then rooted. I'm 3.05.651.6 s-off, rooted and i still got the ota notice to update to 3.05.651.6 and it wont go away.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 1: Before following this guide, you should try using the tool from http://firewater-soff.com to obtain S-OFF. If it does not work then proceed with the following guide.

Changing the Mainver

3. Open the command prompt, and type in adb devices A string of letters and numbers should pop up. This is only to test the ADB drivers and make sure they are working properly.

4. Now type adb shell and press enter.

Installing the RUU

Flashing the custom ROM

Running RumRunner

Updating Firmware

Flashing A Custom ROM

Nicely done :D

This is the command you should copy and paste into your cmd window for step 5
    Code:

As stated below please use at your own risk this is a VERY dangerous command if you don't know what you are doing!!!
    That command is very, very dangerous if you screw up even a little -- could easily brick a device. OP, the guide is really useful for folks, but please put all the parts folks need to copy in quote blocks.

Most of the readers don't even know what the dd command is because they don't use any Unix type OS (e.g., Linux) and they are using it with full root level access.

[Edit: adding a little explanation]:
    The 'dd' command is a 'direct dump' and it takes whatever you tell it from the 'if' parameter (input file) or if no 'if' flag is provided, from the standard input. The 'echo' command puts whatever you specify to the standard output (a.k.a., stdout in unix/linux terms). The vertical bar is a 'pipe' specifier and pipes the stdout of the last command to the input of the next -- in this case the 'dd' command.

So how can this all to really, really badly? Imagine, just by happenstance, the recovery shell you use sends error output to stdout (by a mistaken bug, instead of stderr which is the norm). Whatever the shell would print as the error message is going to go to the dd command as stdin and it will write that to your device where you tell it. In short, brick city.

Just by luck, imho, the user above who failed to add the "echo" was using a recovery that (very luckily) sent nothing to stdout, so dd didn't have anything to write. I'm telling you, folks, @BD619 and I both have stated on multiple occasions the raw danger here.

Be careful and DO NOT RUSH INTO THESE THINGS -- IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, EVEN IF ONLY 0.000000001% UNSURE ASK! WE WILL GET YOU SET.
    Anyone who does not have S-OFF yet I highly suggest getting it before KitKat drops...HTC has a habit of making things harder with every OTA. Rumrunner may not work afterwards.
    Cool, good to know Firewater works :D
    Maybe the OP can add firewater to the guide
    http://firewater-soff.com/

OP updated